Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: KB destroyed of Zamboanga!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: KB destroyed of Zamboanga! Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: KB destroyed of Zamboanga! - 8/6/2006 2:56:30 AM   
PzB74

Of course you are right Kkoovvoo!
This AAR should be viewed together with Andy's...this will be the only way to get an objective view of it all.
Success and failure follows hand in hand and so does frustration and jubilation.

There are so many tough decisions to be made: the counter-invasion of Zamboanga for intsance. After working hard
for 6 months I had finally refurbished the KB and was building up a nice reserve of trained 2nd gen interceptors.

Now the KB is again shattered, and only 4 fleet carriers remain, and these will not beceom fully operational until late 44.
The Air Force has taken a terrible beating and I estimate that some 50-55% of my operational fighters units have been
shattered - or sunk

Still, I have hurt the enemy - Andy is such an offensively minded player that I'm sure his plans have been interrupted.
He said so himself in one of his latest mails. So I refuse to stand down and throw in the rest of my reserves. There are
still numerous Zeke and Tony units available and the Frank, Jack and George formations will be thrown back into the fray
when they have rested and received replacements.

When fighting over your own ground much fewer pilots are lost. Andy's Superforts have also smashed a lot of ac, but the
pilots are still there. This way a steady run of semi-trained and experienced units become available for the front.

The Kamikaze units have proved themselves: especially the highly experienced ones. The Lily unit that went in had an avg
exp of almost 80. It was devastating, and there are plenty of others left.

So I will hang in, despite of battle fatigue, the battle ain't over yet!

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 2851
RE: KAMIKAZE MENACE! - 8/6/2006 3:01:01 AM   
ChezDaJez

Ok, PzB.

Prince William is (was) a replenishment carrier. The others you hit are standard CVEs and have complements of 27 aircraft IIRC. The replenishment carriers, while still only having a complement of 27 aircraft, can actually ferry 3 times as many. The VR fighter squadrons can fill out to 54 aircraft. They are used to replace losses among the fleet carriers while at sea.

The following carriers are US replenishment carriers:

Copahee*
Altamaha*
Nassau*
Prince William* (now sunk)
Barnes
Casablanca*
Admiralty Island
Kassan Bay
Takani Bay
Commencement Bay
Block Island*
Gilbert Islands
Cape Glousceter
Vella Gulf

The "*" indicates those carriers that I know have arrive in your game.

There are others, probably 2/3 the total. Whittle these down and the allied player loses a valuable method of replensihing his fleet carriers at sea with trained pilots and aircraft.

Andy must have taken tremendous fighter losses by now and I would be willing to bet that those replenishment carriers have been or are about to be drained of their aircraft to replace his losses.

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 8/6/2006 3:02:01 AM >

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2852
RE: KB destroyed of Zamboanga! - 8/6/2006 3:03:16 AM   
stldiver

As a silent watcher of both your AAR and Andy's I must say you have achieved a very good perspective from when your 1st KB was laid low.  I find it hard to detach from units that have served me well, and to realize they are just pieces to be used for the final objective.  You have a good attitude and I will enjoy following your AAR more.  Now if only I could not think what might have been if only I had moved one hex closer or farther.  Ahh but that is my weakness.

Good Luck.

Showa rules!

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2853
Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 5:17:31 AM   
PzB74

That's good news Chez! Unfortunately I haven't gotten any message saying that the
Prince William has sunk. Let's hope.. Will check my 'sunk ship' list and see if any other
of the replenishment cve's have been dealt with.

Thx Stildiver, and welcome to the AAR! Never seen you poste here before
I do try to provide a balanced perspective, but emotions sometimes get the better out of me.
It can be such a strain to find out that your Mighty Castle is made out of clay
3 of the carriers that were lost were actually on their first operation. The Junyo wasn't worth
much, but the Akagi was a sour loss. Still, the Surface Fleet is intact, much to Andy's chagrin

Andy asked for permission to put plain Marine Corsairs on his carriers. So yes, we must have
depleted his pool of Hellcats! This is good news, but I don't want game limitations to prevent him
from carrying out operations. So I've said that he can do what he deems necessary. We're going to
kick a$$ anyway, right!

A large group of 54 semi trained George fighters arrived in Japan today. Excellent.
Give me a month and we will be fully operational again!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/30/44

Bombardments

Naval bombardment of Zamboanga, at 39,59

Japanese Ships
CL Oi
CL Kitakami
CA Chokai
CA Maya

Allied ground losses:
130 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

For weeks small numbers of enemy B-24s have been raiding Wake Island.
I moved in some Zekes and they have their daily skirmishes...

Day Air attack on Wake Island , at 82,63

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zeke x 22

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 1
PB4Y Liberator x 2
B-24J Liberator x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zeke: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
2 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The enemy convoy now north of the Palaus is hit again:

Day Air attack on TF at 56,61

Japanese aircraft
D4Y Judy x 5
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y Judy: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Edward Luckenbach, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Columbian, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Kami attack on PT boats...
Day Air attack on TF, near Sarmi at 48,78

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5
Spitfire VIII x 6
Kittyhawk I x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
PT PT-458
Sallys on Kami mission didn't penetrate enemy battleship armor!
Day Air attack on TF at 40,65

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 14

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 14 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Kamikaze hits 2
And now we know it...green Kamis sux - big time!

Day Air attack on TF at 40,65

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zeke x 5
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 33
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 33

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zeke: 3 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 33 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 33 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Kamikaze hits 1
LST LST-34
LST LST-468
CA Minneapolis
LST LST-448
Day Air attack on TF at 51,76

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 2

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Mercury, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage - good riddance...
Day Air attack on TF at 56,61

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 3
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Columbian, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *sinks* - more base force casualties!

Allied ground losses:
65 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Ground Combat

The fight for Zamboanga was short and brutal: outnumbered and starved
the enemy garrison was marched into captivity...

Ground combat at Zamboanga

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 24336 troops, 273 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 619

Defending force 5591 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 101

Japanese max assault: 1048 - adjusted assault: 821

Allied max defense: 83 - adjusted defense: 79

Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Zamboanga base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 destroyed
SB2C Helldiver: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
367 casualties reported
Guns lost 14

Allied ground losses:
3865 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Southern Front

It feels SO good to have erased the enemy presence at Zamboanga!!
The enemy fleet appears to have turned back. The sacrifice of the KB was not in vain.
We have bought more time for the Empire!

I was really becoming worried about Andy cutting the SRA off from the Home Islands.
The flow of resources and crude would have been more devastating than any loss of territory.
Large number of cargo ships are currently busy picking up all the reserves from the Eastern
Hemisphere.

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to stldiver)
Post #: 2854
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 5:42:06 AM   
AdmNelson

Looking at the map-- You seam to be in good shape-- Kamikazes are in play I take that Saigon is 15 sea hexes of an Allied base. I just started watching your AAR. Sonny and I started a game two years ago and are in late July 1944. Looks like will be spending some time watching your AAR. Good Luck. It happens the game I am in with Sonny is the only game I am an Allied player, all others I am a Japanese Fanboy. Allied land based air power can be devastating. Again Good Luck

Very Proud Marine Dad

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2855
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 7:03:21 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB
Andy asked for permission to put plain Marine Corsairs on his carriers. So yes, we must have
depleted his pool of Hellcats! This is good news, but I don't want game limitations to prevent him
from carrying out operations.

I find it more than a little disturbing that even in mid 1944 the allied aircraft pools remain depleted yet Japan isn't complaining about a lack of air frames. I think this is proof that the air frame production system is borked for the allies.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying your AAR immensley, but I just wanted to highlight this disparity in production even in mid 1944! It should be Japan complaining about empty pools now, not the friggin allies!

Jim

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2856
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 9:29:42 AM   
aztez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

from carrying out operations.

I find it more than a little disturbing that even in mid 1944 the allied aircraft pools remain depleted yet Japan isn't complaining about a lack of air frames. I think this is proof that the air frame production system is borked for the allies.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying your AAR immensley, but I just wanted to highlight this disparity in production even in mid 1944! It should be Japan complaining about empty pools now, not the friggin allies!

Jim

Yeah, that is disturbing news indeed concerning those pools.

Well, I have kept following this AAR from the start so keep it up.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2857
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 10:13:32 AM   
kkoovvoo

quote:

And now we know it...green Kamis sux - big time!

Ugrhhh, is it so difficult to ram he ship? Their lack courage, not experience!!!

So you need better pilots for Kamis...but Kami units can perform only Kami missions and training missions, for which Empire doesnt have time.

This may help (from Pauks AAR):

quote:

ORIGINAL: jumper
I prefer this one with PDU on:
daitai A with 36 80xp pilots/planes
daitai Bwith 36 80xp pilot/planes

daitai A changes the plane type to same type as datai B, all planes are damaged. Next turn 1-3 planes are repaired. Daitai A is moved away with only 1-3 planes. Daitai A fragment is dispanded into Daitai B.
Now you have Daitai A with 1-3 planes/pilots ready to suck newbies and repeat training and Daitai B with about 70 80xp pilots.
If you have ready another daitai/chutai with less planes then its max size, you can fill the Daitai B with these procedure by whatever desired amount of green pilots.

Hope Pauk will not kick us out of his AAR This more for war room..

quote:

ORIGINAL: kkoovvoo

Thanks,

since I have only 1 PBEM running with PDU off, the option you described never came to my mind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jumper

In your case the best way would be to place unit into some base with 0 AV support and put it on 90 cap/ or ASW. In a few turns most of the planes will be damaged/in reserve. Much better than jumping from base to base to damage planes. With PDU off It will take you more time but is worth of the effort. You should check it with your opponent. This way you will avoid those 90days waiting and your training will be much faster. It is leetle bit gamey..
But according to my experinece there is no any significant difference till mid 42 where I´m now. I´m expecting main payback in later years.. Even for allied player the game should be more interesting..

< Message edited by kkoovvoo -- 8/6/2006 10:14:03 AM >

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 2858
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 1:02:32 PM   
PzB74

I do have a Sally unit - 27 ac and 48 pilots - Kkoovvoo!
I will certainly train as many Kami units as possible - what other use would there be for my many bomber units anyway?
It's not like they're ever going to penetrate the Enemy Uber CAP, so why not let the few that makes it through count?
It's also a danger that the last ac in a unit get stuck in a base hex closed by enemy bombing. Then 1 damaged ac and e.g 30 pilots
will be stranded until this ac can be repaired and take of with all 30 pilots

Thx for the tip though, it's a way to keep the units in the front line a bit longer.

It's certainly an issue Jim and Aztez, I think the US should be allowed to increase the production of Japan and outnumber them vastly.
Regarding the pilot pool: Here are Andys numbers; USAAF has 4000 and USMC 1000 USN is empty.

So while the USN pool is empty, there are 5k pilots in the other pools: Realistically USMC pilots would have been transferred to USN and
USAAF pilots would have been converted to USN. Still, in this game were the British have been knocked out of the war, the USN has been
forced to take on Japan alone. Without a foothold on the mainland Andy can't deploy his massive Army AF. So you may say that his lack of
USN pilots comes from the massive effort required by the USN. Since the game got fixed replacement rates, the only solution for Andy would
eventually be to start a training program of his own. Adapt or die?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 2859
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 3:22:48 PM   
PzB74

Somewhat quiet turn...Andy is reloading his guns!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/01/44

Air Combat

The Kamis found new targets of the Northern tip of PNG!

Day Air attack on TF at 42,72

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
AE Pyro, Kamikaze hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AE Lassen
AR Edmund Randolph, Torpedo hits 1, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B6N Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
AR Benjamin Holt
AR Charles P. Steinmetz
This TF is a straggler unit to the big TF marked on the situation map. Troops,
no doubt about it.

Day Air attack on TF at 41,67

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zeke x 4
G4M2 Betty x 6
Ki-21 Sally x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 6 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
LST LST-27, Kamikaze hits 1, on fire
CA Minneapolis
BB Colorado

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Kudos

Andy refuse to give us a respite and his fleet is back on course towards Borneo from
what I can see. Balikpapan and Tarakan are solid, Samarinda and Benjarmasin are more vulnerable.
I will reinforce Samarinda first. Same with Jolo, moving a full Bde from Zamboanga.

Fortifications are heavy in the area and I almost hope that Andy overcommits down into the
Makassar Strait! I'm again massing our air reserves and the Combined Fleet is heading for Roxas.
Yamamoto has prophesized that the enemy fleet will be shattered by a massive strike by the battle fleet!

Subs will put mines in strategic locations and try to finish of the cripples.

The Empire has been hardened after 30 months of war and after observing the enemy's weakness resolve has been
hardened: If he comes the same old way, we will defeat him the same old way!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2860
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 3:24:18 PM   
PzB74

We have gotten into July 1944 - and here is a list of the forthcoming air reinforcements!
Will come in VERY handy!

I have withdrawn/disbandoned 8-10 Oscar units and reformed 3.
Slowly putting the war machine back into shape.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2861
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 11:34:02 PM   
Naskra

Congratulations on a nice smackdown at Zamboanga.  It is still hard to believe that Japan can win a war of attrition in the air in '44, but you are managing to do it.  

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2862
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/6/2006 11:44:42 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

The Kamis found new targets of the Northern tip of PNG!

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N Jill: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
AE Pyro, Kamikaze hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AE Lassen
AR Edmund Randolph, Torpedo hits 1, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B6N Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
AR Benjamin Holt
AR Charles P. Steinmetz

Strange how life is - 5 kami hits out of 6 planes in the first attack, 0 out of 6 in the second - wonder if there is anything like conditions that may help or hamper the dice rolls...

Well anyway no comment, I feel like everyone else here. KB did go down with a last mighty cry

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 2863
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/7/2006 12:17:37 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Unfortunately I haven't gotten any message saying that the
Prince William has sunk.

That was my mistake. I'm assuming it must have sunk due to the damage inflicted however I will refrain from making those assumptions in the future.

Still, BANZAI!

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2864
RE: Zamboanga Liberated!!! - 8/7/2006 12:25:39 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

It should be Japan complaining about empty pools now, not the friggin allies!

Actually Japan produced more aircraft in 1944 (28000+) than for any other year.. Its pilots and fuel that created the problems for Japan, not airframes.

Chez

NRD Seattle 1992-96

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2865
Borneo is next! - 8/7/2006 12:46:52 AM   
PzB74

Thx Naskra - I wasn't trying to win a war of attrition - was quite surprised when Andy
told me he was running out of trained pilots and ac. Can't say I like it, creates a lot of noise. But C'est la vie!

A bit sad about the KB Fishbed, but it allowed us to destroy Allied troops and secure the PI.
It also blunted Andy's most powerful weapon: he can only use his carriers offensively very sparingly now

No problem Chez, I also thought the darn thing would sink...3 hits by Sallys. Should be a RIP!!!
Good point about airframes: in our alternative history fuel and pilot problem has been taken care of.
The most blatant game critics are usually not able to play the game, because they find so many things that pi$$es
the off

I've reinforced Batan Island with half a brigade. The other half goes to Pescara. Minelayers are busy laying a heavy belt
of mines between Okinawa and Northern PI. Eventually Andy will cut the Empire in two, leaving us with a land connection
through Thailand-Burma-India. when this happens I want the 'Inner Citadel' to be ready for siege warfare!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/02/44

Air Combat

If Andy invades Banjarmasin he will take a long frog leap...it's a size 3 AF
and got 135 assault points. Cant' remember how many forts.

Day Air attack on Banjarmasin , at 27,64

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 85

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29 Superfortress: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 31
Day Air attack on TF at 41,70

Japanese aircraft
B6N Jill x 3
Ki-21 Sally x 3

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships - this surely finished another 2 special ships!
AR Edmund Randolph, Kamikaze hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AE Pyro, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B6N Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
I'm planning to wipe out this 'lost' convoy tomorrow: by sea and air!

Day Air attack on TF at 53,61

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 9
Ki-21 Sally x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Florence Luckenbach, Bomb hits 1
AK Steel Mariner

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Day Air attack on TF at 41,75

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
AK Empire Rainbow, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Borneo Invasion Force

I'm in the process of hatching out a very cunning plan for dealing with this threat!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 2866
RE: Borneo is next! - 8/7/2006 12:53:50 AM   
pauk

Just two days from Balikpapan to Samarinda? Did you check it? Anyway i've noticed that my troops needs more time when they have to reach hex 60 miles far away when there are enemy units present too....

you can avoid eventual miscalculation with setting units march to Samarinda one or two days earlier than enemy arrives at Samarinda. If they moves too fast or enemy doesn't land at Samarinda you can always reset their movement.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2867
RE: Borneo is next! - 8/7/2006 12:57:52 AM   
Sneer

be careful
hex NE of you minefield is passable

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 2868
RE: Borneo is next! - 8/7/2006 1:01:49 AM   
PzB74

I ordered a unit to march from Balikpapan towards Samarinda yesterday - 1 day later it had covered 30/60 miles.
There is a good road connection. Balikpapan got some 350 assault points before the half bde has moved out of the hex.

Balikpapan is a major base, 9 forts, Air/Army HQ, 270 aviation support and lots of supplies.

Only had one sub with mines nearby Sneer...move on the way
Perhaps we can block it completely and force the damaged enemy ships to move through?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Sneer)
Post #: 2869
RE: Borneo is next! - 8/7/2006 2:19:16 AM   
AmiralLaurent

Hi Pzb,

Well good news for Zamboanga, bad for your CVs (I was away for some days and just pickep up). It seems to me you won one more month of life, but more important Andy will now think twice before launching a new para invasion...

Regarding kamikazes, their result seem OK when they met no uber-CAP. Two reactions on what other commenters wrote above:

_ kamikaze aircraft most often had full aircrew aboard, especially gunners as they may be necessary to reach the target.

_ experience was proven to be the decisive factor in kamikaze attack. Diving on an enemy ship among AA is not easy, and the pilots who mastered their aircraft had a greater chance to do it. The conclusion of studies made about the PI campain showed that rookie pilots usually missed their targets or attacked the wrong ones (like PT boats).

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2870
The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 7:01:44 PM   
PzB74

We're not going to loose this war A.L
The Mighty Combined Fleet and Kamikazed will soon crush the enemy invasion fleet
just as the Divine Wind once destroyed Kublai Khans invasion armada

Thx for the update though, wasn't sure whether the Japs sent gunners with their Kami ac!
It's self explanatory that it isn't easy for a green pilot to hit a ship under heavy flak fire.
A lot of them over compensated and missed. They were ordered not to close their eyes before impact
as this would most often cause a last minute course change.

The Battle

I will go out for dinner now and return in 2-3 hours. Then I will make one of the most important
decision in this game: Shall I committ the Combined Fleet and attempt to destroy the enemy fleet, or should I hold back.

Andy has spotted us, lots of bombers on naval search, but non on naval attack.
So Andy knows that I will send in the fleet and will try to take evasive action and perhaps put some of his bombers
on naval attack.

Personally I'm in favor of withdrawin and first strike when Andy's invasion is launched.
Then we will take advantage of his frenzied manouvering to move away from our surface fleets most likey intercept vectors.

I just don't one TF to connect, I want all 60 surface combatants to engage the enemy and smash his invasion.
Therefore I don't think we should take any 'blind shots'.

Input PLEASE!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 2871
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 7:17:31 PM   
LittleJoe

No.

Attrit his Carrier airforce further with your LBA, Then hit him!

You must save your forces for the Axis counterattack that will take place in the Winter, The Germans will drive the American/Allied forces into the channel, and you drive the Americans back to the West Coast!

;)

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2872
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 7:27:06 PM   
pauk

I would say NO too... geography isn't your friend here, me thinks... somewhere you have to stop him, i agree with that...but too risky IMO...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 8/7/2006 7:31:24 PM >

(in reply to LittleJoe)
Post #: 2873
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 7:40:04 PM   
AmiralLaurent

Pzb, in my own opinion the best hex to send your fleet is the hex where the most western of Andy's TF are. I will send all TF (able to sail 5-6 hexes) to this hex for a night strike with retire orders and home base set as a base with as much CAP and LRCAP as possible. Tarakan being the best place for it, but beware of Allied surface TF turning the base to a crater.... If BB have been seen with the incoming giant fleet (Andy is short of BB, isn't he), then I will choose as retreat base Jolo (if you have enough air support here). The interest of Tarakan and Jolo is that you can send here directly TF not able to do 5 knots per turn (the slowest BB), so enabling you to offer more targets to Allied AC that will come in smaller raids and you will be able to reach the bombers with your CAP.

The hex I choose is IMOO the best to strike if Andy sails either to Tarakan or SW, as the late TF may sail W and then SW in the latter case, and will sail W in the former..

In both cases, my idea in proposing these targets is to strike the rearguard of the invasion convoy. The simplest way to lead such a great fleet is to have a lead TF (usually a transport one) and all other TF follow it. In fact most of the TF will be delayed by refuleing and SYS damage and so there are always late TF one or two hexes behind. And they are the best targets IMOO. Why ? Because all combat and air TF are faster and will sail with the lead TF, while convoys with relatively small escort will probably be the ones lagging behind. So the objective here is to strike the troopships and not the warships. Because IMOO and in my own experience at this stage of the war Allied surface and CV TF will win a night surface battle... or at least won't be damaged enough to be worth losing a lot of your ships once they will be damaged and at the mercy of Allied LBA all over the area.

By watching your screen of the former days, the Allied fleet is sailing 2-3 hexes a day, so probably includes a lot of slow amphibious TF. By striking where the lead TF are before they move, you are almost sure they won't be there anymore while all slower TF will move probably one hex and so have a good probability to be just at this place during the night. Also the range (5 hexes) will allow your CA and DD to still have op points and so to fight longer. At least that is my impression of how the game behaves.

So my advice will be: go for it, but go for the transports. And only if you think you have a chance to protect your fleet with your CAP after dawn. The best chance for this is as I said to have as many targets as possible to offer to the enemy airmen.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2874
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 7:56:33 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

I'd say no .. i'm with Joe on this ..

Its too risky and your surface fleet is still a potential problem for the allies IF you lost it he's a lot more free to operate. By keeping it in being he's potentially hampered a bit more.

just my 2p

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

Post #: 2875
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 8:16:50 PM   
JagdFlanker

i don't know what your full airpower picture is but from what i'v been seeing his carrier fighters must be in relitively bad shape right now and your fleet might not be this close to such a juicy target again. i will dare suggest that if you can get to this hex by morning and have it covered by a pile of land based CAP you will either hit his slow convoy going to Tarakan or you will be in a commanding position to intercept next turn. depends if you have air assets to cover your grand imperial fleet in case that's not the right hex...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2876
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 9:00:41 PM   
kkoovvoo

I would try it.

Dont forget: full speed, retirement allowed.

You must be smart when choosing home base.

Do you believe he might counterattack and move his CVs north? If yes then you might retreat to the East by choosing Davao (or base SW of Davao) as home base. It wouldnt be smart to retreat to the South or West probably.

Of five possibilities you drawed I would chose the western one. Allied transport are faster than japanese and they will probably move 2 hexes.

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 2877
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 9:23:46 PM   
AmiralLaurent

quote:

ORIGINAL: kkoovvoo

I would try it.

Dont forget: full speed, retirement allowed.

You must be smart when choosing home base.

Do you believe he might counterattack and move his CVs north? If yes then you might retreat to the East by choosing Davao (or base SW of Davao) as home base. It wouldnt be smart to retreat to the South or West probably.

Of five possibilities you drawed I would chose the western one. Allied transport are faster than japanese and they will probably move 2 hexes.

At this stage of the war, Allied invasion TF are also done of tens of LCT/LCI... that are as slow than Japanese ships. The map aboves shows that Andy convoy moves 2-3 hex a day, in all cases that is only 1 hex at night, so there is a good chance to intercept them.

(in reply to kkoovvoo)
Post #: 2878
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 9:43:10 PM   
pauk

quote:

Andy has spotted us

These are key words... dont you think he will move transport fleet just one hex south and move CVs in position to attack surface ships?

Anyway, doubt that Combined fleet will ever get chance to close to the enemy being unspoted so perhaps is not bad to try luck....

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2879
RE: The Coming Battle - 8/7/2006 11:02:34 PM   
aztez

Very intresting turn ahead. I think you might get lucky with this engagement.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 2880
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: KB destroyed of Zamboanga! Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI