Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitP Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Wish List Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 4:58:08 AM   
jwilkerson

You've never seen the "slingshot" effect where a unit gets flung 15-30 miles down a trail in one fling!?

I was sure you'd posted 1-2 of those examples .. but it is quite possible - just run a guy from Mandalay to Ledo and he will probably "blast off" when he reaches Mytchina and get a big jump. But from a standing (on the trail) start, yeah you're right it is a slow process. Sometimes I rest em(if going multiple hexes) and sometimes I fly them some supplies. Not sure if I get there fast - but makes me feel like I'm doing sumptin.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 781
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 5:53:54 AM   
dtravel

Yes, I've seen that.  We've all seen that.  That's not what I'm muttering about.  I'm muttering darkly about the "movement rates" listed in the manual on p.148 under "8.3 Ground Unit Overland Movement".  There is no way that anything actually moves 10 miles a day across clear terrain with no roads or rail.    <-- muttering old geezer mode

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 782
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 6:35:10 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Yes, I've seen that.  We've all seen that.  That's not what I'm muttering about.  I'm muttering darkly about the "movement rates" listed in the manual on p.148 under "8.3 Ground Unit Overland Movement".  There is no way that anything actually moves 10 miles a day across clear terrain with no roads or rail.    <-- muttering old geezer mode

Of course not, instead the unit moves 180 miles to the rear then to the left then forward again through the jungle trails to AVOID moving 60 miles through the clear terrain. We've all seen that one too!!

But we were talking about pursuit here, so I'm waiting on Moses&Halsey to come back on that!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 783
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 7:47:15 PM   
moses

quote:

Their was a change to movement in one of the patches. As per manual the printed rates are modified by fatigue, etc. But a patch at some point added that moving into enemy ZOC also slows you down. It seems to cut movement in half.

So if your moving on a trail into an enemy ZOC, (and very shortly you'll be tired) you're really screwed. 2 miles per day is about all you'll manage on a good day.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 784
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 8:03:39 PM   
moses

"But we were talking about pursuit here, so I'm waiting on Moses&Halsey to come back on that! "

Well really I don't see pursuit as being that big of a deal. The only time it really matters is for the armor units which on a few rare occasions get to go on a blitz. Perhaps that should be toned down so maybe they only get a max 45 mile credit as opposed to jumping directly into the next hex.

As for infantry units don't they just get credited with like 15 miles? So its a small help but nothing catostrophic either way. It just seems odd to me that we have a rule (movement into ZOC's is slowed) and another rule (pursuit) which go in opposite directions. I mean do we want to slow em down or speed em up??

I would argue for slowing things up a tinsey bit. So my choice would be to eliminate the pursuit thing entirely EXCEPT for armor units which should be credited with a max of 45 miles. Failing that I would want the infantry pursuit to be unchanged and max the armor out at 45.

I think you want to keep some pursuit for armor because, you know, it's armor. If any unit has a real life rational for being allowed to pursue its armor and I guess cav. Infantry doesn't pursue that well. After we take the hill we're tired.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 785
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 8:08:49 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

quote:

Their was a change to movement in one of the patches. As per manual the printed rates are modified by fatigue, etc. But a patch at some point added that moving into enemy ZOC also slows you down. It seems to cut movement in half.

So if your moving on a trail into an enemy ZOC, (and very shortly you'll be tired) you're really screwed. 2 miles per day is about all you'll manage on a good day.

I know about the half-movement going in to enemy ZOC. It doesn't always get applied and that's not what I'm talking about. 2 miles a day to start on a trail from friendly ZOC to friendly ZOC. It drops from there as fatigue accumulates.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 786
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 8:39:58 PM   
Feinder

For $242,000, War in the Pacific can have its own will.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1485471&mpage=3

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 787
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/21/2007 9:08:56 PM   
qgaliana

Instead of removing pursuit, why not force the defending unit back a reasonable run-for-your-life distance for the terrain? The 60 mile 'teleport' is a pet peeve of mine. It just works poorly at this scale. If they avoided clearing the accumulated movement for all sorts of reasons you could keep the units fighting in the same hex as they flee/pursue.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 788
RE: WitP Wish List - 6/25/2007 10:32:32 PM   
Halsey

Can you get an air unit that transfers to use up it's AM air operations phase?

Making them available only for the PM segment?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 789
RE: WitP Wish List - 7/4/2007 11:06:18 PM   
goodboyladdie

UberFaber attempt - please ignore!

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 790
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/3/2007 9:22:21 PM   
witpqs

Add new option to CS Convoy orders

A big "Click Count Reducer" would be a modification of the CS Convoy orders. A 'CS' convoys is where you form a transport TF, set a destination, then click on the 'Human Controlled' toggle, and it switches to 'CS Convoy' (or 'CS Controlled' or something). The TF will then robotically:

1 load supplies on AK's and fuel on TK's
2 take them to the destination
3 unload them
4 return to the home port
5 start over at #1

These types of convoys are great helpers in reducing the repetitive work load on the player (hence 'click count reducer'). The problem is that they cannot move oil or resources. And players must move a lot of oil and resources.

Please add an option so that a CS convoy can be told to either load "Supplies/Fuel" or "Oil/Resources".

For clarification please note that I am not referring to the auto convoy system.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 791
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/9/2007 2:27:34 AM   
witpqs

Combine Fighters and Fighter-Bombers into One Category for PDU

We have PDU to allow greater player choice in a/c upgrades. But, fighters and fighter-bombers are in separated categories. Given how similar they are, and moreover the fact that with PDU tactical and 4-engine bombers are actually in the same category, I suggest the following change.

Fighters and fighter-bombers should be considered one category for upgrade purposes. I propose no change for operational/combat matters. Furthermore, this change would have no effect on games where PDU is off.

This is a definite hole in the PDU routines at present. Hopefully it would be easy to plug. Please consider.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 792
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/11/2007 12:45:35 AM   
Historiker

I REALLY wish the option "ahistoric game".
With the option to upgrade manually, it is already possible to play an ahistorc game - so why not more possibilitys?

If I ought achieve a rate of 2000 naval yardpoints, it would just allow me to speed up the production of the ships in the list - nothing more. Why not give players the possibility to use high rates of production to deploy extra units? Why not give the Player the possibility to start the building of ships that were not built really?
Of course, this possibility must be extra activated, but I would really love to have the possibility to decide by myself whether I want more BBs or more CVs, whether I want to convert BBs and CAs to CVs which were not converted really, etc...
The same of course with planes...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 793
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/11/2007 1:38:11 AM   
Halsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

I REALLY wish the option "ahistoric game".
With the option to upgrade manually, it is already possible to play an ahistorc game - so why not more possibilitys?

If I ought achieve a rate of 2000 naval yardpoints, it would just allow me to speed up the production of the ships in the list - nothing more. Why not give players the possibility to use high rates of production to deploy extra units? Why not give the Player the possibility to start the building of ships that were not built really?
Of course, this possibility must be extra activated, but I would really love to have the possibility to decide by myself whether I want more BBs or more CVs, whether I want to convert BBs and CAs to CVs which were not converted really, etc...
The same of course with planes...

Try the RHS mod.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 794
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/11/2007 12:57:03 PM   
Historiker

Does this mod allow the building of totally new ships and air units?
Where can I get some informations?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 795
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/11/2007 9:34:31 PM   
Halsey

Look on the Scenario Design forum of WITP.
It's everywhere.

The mod designer has taken over that forum.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 796
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/20/2007 8:44:23 AM   
afspret

Any way to add a feature similar to the British ship withdrawl requirement that would require the allied player to withdraw certain air units (namely RAF & US) from the game, or lose PPs? It makes no sense to have some of the West Coast command bomber & fighter groups stay in the game that in real life moved to the east coast and then to the MTO or ETO by late '42 and early '43.

In addition, it would free up the number of air unit slots meaning one could divide more US groups later in the game (or add more air units if one were making a mod game).

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 797
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/20/2007 3:53:17 PM   
Feinder

quote:

In addition, it would free up the number of air unit slots meaning one could divide more US groups later in the game (or add more air units if one were making a mod game).

Just FYI, no it wouldn't.  Each squadron or group takes up a slot in the DB, whether it is active on the map or not.  Units that -will- arrive as reinforcements are taking up slots, just as units that are withdrawn continue to take up a slot.  Withdrawing ships or aircraft does not "erase" them.  And if it -did- "erase" them, it wouldn't really have an impact, since again, all squadrons/groups start the game already slotted, so you even if you "erased" something, it would not be re-used.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 798
RE: WitP Wish List - 8/22/2007 3:13:11 AM   
scout1

How about allowing the player to disband a tf at a base and NOT kick them out of the tf/base window. If I have 13 tf's that I wish to disband, I have always get sent back out of the window/base after the diband. Then repeat for each occurrence.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 799
Better multi-day support - 8/23/2007 4:11:47 AM   
erstad

Many of us like multi-day turns because we want to finish a game before we get old and gray (apologies to those who are already old and gray).

The big problem with multi-day turns is that sometimes a travesty occurs. Something happens the first (or second) day that clearly calls for a human intervention, but the second (or third) day runs and bad things happen. The most extreme case is TFs that sit around after being on the losing side of a CV exchange so they can get pounded again, instead of running. But there are other examples.

So... I would propose something like the following
- Increase the maximum number of days per turn, maybe to 10 (so that things can really fly when not much is happening)
- Add a user defined control for each player that allows them to select the number of days they want a turn to run (IJN setting hidden from the Allied setting). Run the turn for the minimum of the two values. that allows a player to set it to single day when they know something is launching.
- Add some user defined controls that define events which cause the game to pause at the end of the current day. For example, "CV hit", or "Transport TF spotted within xxx hexes of friendly base", or "more than xxx planes destroyed", etc. For those who have played Europa Universalis, think about the autopause controls there (not that I'm suggesting anything that elaborate)

Also, probably allow the IJN player to change his user defined control before running a turn. This would allow two players to agree that a turn should be re-run as a single day if something "bad" happened on the second day. Since the random number is not reseeded, that first day should be the same as it was before. There are several cases where I would have let my opponents request that a second day not happen because the results were unfair (from a game mechanics standpoint), and once I would have requested that of my opponent. This idea does create potential for abuse, the IJN player could plan something explosive for day 2 and if he doesn't like it, re-run for just 1 day. This could be avoided by having something alert the Allied player that the IJN player had dropped the number of turns for execution below what it was when he ended the turn.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 800
RE: Better multi-day support - 8/31/2007 5:31:48 AM   
scout1

Joe,

Sent you an email. Got a bug to report (I think is new). Have saves, just need to know where you would like them sent.

Scott

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 801
RE: Better multi-day support - 9/1/2007 6:28:03 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Joe,

Sent you an email. Got a bug to report (I think is new). Have saves, just need to know where you would like them sent.

Scott

Joe gave it to me to look at. It isnt a bug par se. Look at the experience of your pilots (not the "average experience" of the group). The average experience isnt re-calculated until the next day. You used 12 pilots replacements with 5 in the pool at start. In the after turn, 7 of your pilots are between 29 and 33 experience. You didnt get 12 "free" 73 experience pilots. Now should the group average re-calculate after adding each pilot? Some people would say yes, some would say no. I would say it is "probably" working as intended and therefore not a bug. The air resolutions are based on the individual pilots experience, NOT the average experience for the group. So that "average experience" is only to let the player know what the average experience is. It has no bearing on the play of the game in the least.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 9/1/2007 6:29:36 AM >

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 802
Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/18/2007 8:52:31 PM   
herwin

The problem with the game is that 60 mile hexes and one day turns are incompatible. You have to have combat within hexes and abstract away a lot of the operational detail. Here are the recommendations of someone who has been an analyst:

1. Have within-hex combat.
2. Have percentage hex control. Thus the result of combat is to shift the percentage a bit and attrition each side a bit.
3. Scale the percentage by the land area in the hex. 1% of a 60-mile hex is about 30 square miles. For a land hex, that wouldn't be much (advancing about a kilometer on the average over the front); for an atoll, that's decisive.
4. Allow the players to define the general formation of their LCUs: mobile reserve, hasty defence, positional defence, holding lines to the rear, delay, retreat, mobile defence, assault, hasty attack, movement to contact, administrative movement, etc. These affect protection against fire and effective firepower to the front and to the flanks.
5. Operations then involve both movement and combat.
6. Bases are at the centre of the hex. Supplies are to the rear of the front line.
7. Breakthroughs become important. Rear areas have to be garrisoned, or the defender will be dancing to the attacker's tune. Look at the Gamer's OCS rules for what can happen if you don't garrison everything you hold dear. The other aspect of breakthroughs is that they force the defender to hedgehog--reducing the front that can be covered adequately.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 803
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/19/2007 2:34:03 AM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Harder to make: Divide each hex into 7 small hexes - one in centre and six around it - only for land units. Only one side can occupy small hex.

Bases normally in the centre small hex, but in coastal/island hexes bases could be placed on coast small hex instead of centre (those in centre would be considered to be too far from coast to bombard from sea).

Naval and air units would still only use big hexes - for example CAP would be protecting all 7 small hexes in one big hex.

Since there would be more places to defend - new routines for dividing units would be needed.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 804
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/19/2007 4:56:20 AM   
jwilkerson

Interesting - several of us had a detailed discussion about exactly (well reeeeeally close) this idea in Aug-Sep 2005. Subsequently we decided it was too big a change for the current model. But if there is ever a WITP_II this idea is still in the files!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 805
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/19/2007 6:21:31 AM   
pad152

quote:

But if there is ever a WITP_II this idea is still in the files!
Tease

If you don't get started soon, many of us will likly kick the bucket before it's finished!!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 806
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/19/2007 10:24:26 AM   
jwilkerson

Us too!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 807
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/21/2007 12:31:13 AM   
Yamato hugger

One thing I would like to toss out there (maybe it already HAS been, I didnt read the first 25 pages of this thread) but it would be nice if the leader display (when changing leaders) displayed their stats as well so you dont have to click on a leader, look at his stats, then click the next, ect. Thats annoying.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 808
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/21/2007 2:51:05 AM   
Snowman999

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Interesting - several of us had a detailed discussion about exactly (well reeeeeally close) this idea in Aug-Sep 2005. Subsequently we decided it was too big a change for the current model. But if there is ever a WITP_II this idea is still in the files!

Realizing you guys are working the Civil War and Eastern Front games I'd still like to propose a blip in the business model for WITP:

Stop doing patches now. We've gotten full value for our purchase price. Instead, start development on an add-on pack (maybe $30ish) to add a tactical combat module on the side of the game, not in the mainline code. What I'm envisioning:

1. Something very like Steel Panthers. Take each 60-mile hex and drill down to a standardized hex field that's a compromize in scale between large-urban and atoll. Scroll screen or single-screen at your option. For islands, provide at least three hexes of border to stage invasion waves.
2. Provide a terrain tile set that accomodates needed terrain, plus movement rules.
3. Design 25-50 (whatever works for cost/retail price ratio) "detail" hex maps of popular combat hexes--Saipan, Singapore, Adak, whatever. Provide a simple user-design kit for us out here to finish the library. I know that in the forum's denizens there's someone who is the world's greatest expert on Canton Island as well as all other bases in the game. Google Earth could probably help as well. Let the fans finish the library after you lock in top-line parameters. You lock in a naming system, a call-library, and the entry variable/exit variable structure.
4. Use existing game variables--unit names, sizes, morale, disruption, supply--as input into the module. Take exit variables as well as retreat hex x,y locations back to the master map after the hex ownership is resolved.
5. When combat begins in a hex where a detail map is in the library offer the player the option to use the module or resolve under the current model.
6. For fortification, use an earned fortification-point account in combo with fort structures (pillboxes, trenches, tunnels, etc.) to let the player buy fortifications. Drag&drop tiles to show fort. structures. Scale levels non-linearly (Fort. level 1 to 2 gives more points in the drawing account than 8 to 9 does.) Let the player defend supply dumps, beaches, etc. as he sees fit with the fort. points he's earned under the curent model rules.
7. To do this you'd need a master library of maps, and then copy a new one into active use and let it be deformed during play. Fort. levels, rubble, fire in cities, etc. if you want to get fancy. But let me inherit the result of combat and choose what to do with it.
8. Unless split, confine an LCU in one hex only. Make me choose choke points. Allow flanking, feints, etc.
9. This sytem lets attackers mass for a breakthrough at the risk of CAS and arty tearing up the beachhead or penetrating force. But it also makes the fortification system less of a back-breaker for attackers. Play with the cost of fort. points however you like, but make it possible to break through if the player is smart tactically.
10. Devise new surrender/retreat rules to fit detailed terrain. Let me leave my amphibs beached for retreat at risk of having them attacked by defender.

The pros of this model are:

1. Revenue for additional work and capability. The add-on would be optional for current fans but I think most would buy it.
2. Let the fans do some of the work. For many this would be a key appeal of the add-on. I can see competitions for most-accurate maps, largest independent library, etc. Fixed hex-plot size and tile set would make integrating fan-produced maps easy as well as allow players to mix&match amongst designers.
3. It doesn't make you integrate new capability into spagetti code. Hand existing LCU variable quantaties into the module, and take combat results for same variables back out and update the DB with them.
4. Allows use of a licensed existing tactical engine (with modifications) rather than development of an all-new one.
5. Overcomes the unrealistic effect of fortifications. Right now a level 5 fort applies to every square inch of Saipan (for example.) Well, I've been to Saipan and that just isn't possible. Let my engineers earn fortification points, and I'll put them where they'll do the most good. Conversely, on offense, make me schedule my landing waves properly and make me defend a beachhead from concentrated, terrain-specific counter-attack.

I'm sure there are lots of holes in this idea (recon for starters) as well as points I haven't considered. Any comments?

Steve

P.S. I'd pay $250-$300 for a WITP2 that offered an open, player-scriptable AI as well as some other, mostly graphic and reduced-clicking, features. Just in case you're doing market research.

< Message edited by Snowman999 -- 9/21/2007 3:01:58 AM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 809
RE: Enhancement: Land Combat - 9/23/2007 12:07:21 AM   
marky

wen u go to the intel list, the ship sunk screen tells u how many of each type uve sunk, IE APs, AKs, TKs

and u should be able to tell subs and pilots wat to concentrate on wen they attack

carriers, battleships, APs etc

(in reply to Snowman999)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Wish List Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI