Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 8:55:06 AM   
rickcr

Hey all, I really am sick of all the frantic "who can click and get around the screen the fastest" RTS games like Age of Kings which I've played a lot. I really want to play a good tactical war strategy game. I've tried CivIII just a couple times, and I'm sure I might like it if I stick with it but it's a lot of diplomacy and resource gathering, etc and not focused enough on military strategy (although possibly I'm not giving it a fair shake). What I'm looking for is a great turn based military strategy game (I don't care about sub-par graphics or sound). It looks like Korsun Pocket might be the game for me? Are there some other turn based military computer games you've found that you like better (or even just equal to) that you might recommend - or is Korsun Pocket the way to go? Thanks so much for any feedback.
Post #: 1
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 9:53:48 AM   
freeboy

Korsun is a very player friendly, as we hope BIN will be too, game with good depth and easily used in pbem mode. The ai is the weakest link, and this can be compensated by changing the supply and other modifyiers. Also the game allows user scenarios, many are being planned for the BIN engine soon to be released, we all hope

(in reply to rickcr)
Post #: 2
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 11:50:53 AM   
Hartford688

I know it is not turn based (so maybe of no interest) but HttR is just great. May be "real time" but is no clickfest. In part because you can set the speed but also because of the tremendous AI for your own side. You can micromanage if you want, but by giving orders higher up the command chain you can much reduce the clicking. Plus, the delegation gives a very realistic (in as far as sitting at a PC screen can be) feel.

Or KP/BiN!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 3:41:11 PM   
wodin

Ok here are my thoughts. I feel exaclty the same as you. The only games that are RTS and worth playing so far are the Close Combat series and HTTR.

However HTTR can still be a little daunting and so a turn based game at this level is best to start with.

I love KP and am awaiting BiN. If I was you I'd buy BiN as its going to released very soon. Its a fantatsic turn based game easy to pick up but harder to master. If you want a real complex game that has a steep learning curve then get hold of TOAW COW you can still buy it from the Take 2 website.

Ive also started playing Squad Battle Advance of the Reich. AT first I thought hmm... not sure if I like this, but after reading a few hints and tips at the Team Echo site downloaded some mods this game is becomingone of my favs. Its fast furious fun and gives a very good feel of small infantry tactics. The 3d mode is appalling and a waste of programmers time but the 2d mode is very good indeed, also has a lot of atmosphere.

So if I were you out of all these I'd buy BiN. Then get TOAW COW and theen for a change of scale and pace SB AoTR or SB Korea.

By the way I HATE RTS.

(in reply to Hartford688)
Post #: 4
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 4:04:27 PM   
Kevinugly

I'd agree with Hartford, HTTR is well worth checking out. It's very similar predecessor (Red Devils Over Arnhem) was the first computer wargame I played coming off of playing the kind of RTS games rick describes and I found it very easy to get into. Korsun Pocket is well worth checking out, but there are quite a few games that fall into the 'turn based military strategy' game:-

'The Operational Art of War' (usually abbreviated to TOAW) is an absolute classic of the genre - best version is the 'Century of Warfare' (COW) - note that copies of this game are not that easy to get hold of.

HPS 'Panzer Campaigns' series of games are quite highly rated although I've found them a little difficult to get into.

'Uncommon Valour' and 'War in the Pacific' (both from Matrix - check out their sections on this forum) may appeal.

Shrapnel produce 'Combat Command 2: Danger Forward' which is rapidly becoming a personal favourite of mine Don't get this confused with the 'Close Combat' series though

If you enjoy 'Civ 3' (are you using the 'Conquests' expansion pack? If not, I recommend it!) then it may be worth checking out apolyton.net for any mods that may be to your taste. 'Civ 2' is available at a budget price and there are a large number of mods covering all sorts of historical/un-historical eras.

I hope this helps you a little

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Hartford688)
Post #: 5
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 4:33:11 PM   
Rainbow7

All in all, though, you came to the right company and forum. Matrix specializes in these strategy games. Just take a look at the selection of games on the top right, under "Select a game". Many might appeal to you.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to rickcr)
Post #: 6
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 5:18:48 PM   
rickcr

Thanks guys for all your comments. Much appreciated. A lot of tough decisions I guess as far as what game I should try out first (I'd try them all but time is limited these days..wife,etc,etc:). Do they make any decent naval strategy games or even old frigate sailing battle games? The only ones I've really seen were those Age Of Sail games and the reviews seem pretty bad. Thanks again. I'll probably post more questions after I look at some of these recommendations so far.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 7
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 5:20:43 PM   
Ron

Korsun Pocket would be an excellent choice - very nice graphics, the best IMO for an Operational game, very easy to get into but a wealth of depth makes it hard to master and highly replayable, lots of user-made scenarios, decent AI if that's your thing and a thriving PBEM community for head-to-head play against human opponents.

IMO HTTR may be too much initially for someone unfamiliar with wargames in general. I never purchased it myself but got Red Devils over Arnhem, its predecessor, and it is sufficiently more advanced than KP for a beginner.

Since you specified tactical, another series of games to look into would be the Combat Mission games from Battlefront simulating WWII tactical combat in a hybrid turn based - real time structure (we-go), ie you and your opponent plot your turn then watch the action unfold. They are highly detailed and realistic, nice 3D graphics for a wargame and very addictive.

The only problem is every person is very subjective in their tastes and desires, and without a demo to "try before you buy" it is a difficult choice to make. Matrix has a "no demo" policy so you will not be able to check out KP or HTTR that way, though TAO2 and the RDOA Demo, the predecessors of KP and HTTR respectively, are still on the web to try as far as I know. All of the Combat Mission games have Demos to try first.

Good luck!

Ron

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 8
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 5:25:58 PM   
Lionfish

You also have to think about the different scales of wargamming. Wargamming is broken down into size and time.

Operational Scale = 2km - 20km per hex, time 2 hours - 24 hours per turn, units (counters) represent infantry divisions of 100s to 1000s of men.

Tactical Scale = 100 yrds - 2km per hex, time 15 mins - 2 hours per turn, units (counters) represent an individual squad or individual tank.

There are some hybrids between Tactical and Operational, where a unit will be 3-5 tanks and company of men.

For operational check out the following:

Korsun Pocket (click here) (aka KP)

Battles of Normandy (Click Here) (aka BIN)
Same Engine as KP. Should be out in September

For Tactical check out the following:

Steel Panthers (click here) (aka SP, SPWaW, SP2W2)

This is by far the most popular wargame of all time. It was released by SSI (I think) in the mid-90s and now has taken on a life of its own. There are 3 versions of the game SP2W2, SPHtH, and SPWaW (which is the Matrix release). They are all based of the same game with slight differences. The great news is that they are all FREE (Note: SP2W2 is dos based). Check out the link above which is the Matrix version, there are tons of add-on campaigns. Steel Panthers and it's variations are played by more online wargamers than probably anything else and has way more senarios then any other wargame. There is also a version for modern day battles, like IRAQ War.
Remember this is Squad based. Each unit represents one TANK or Squad of men.

Then there is a couple of Hybrids. My favorite of the in this realm is Talonsoft's Campaign series. East Front II, West Front, and Rising Sun. The units represent 1-4 tanks and larger groups of infantry than SP, but way smaller in scale then KP. Unfortunatly this game is out of print, but I have seen copies for sale online.

The Wargamer website has a website devoted to the Campaign Series, with downloadable scenarios and other stuff.

Wargamer's Campaign Series Website (click here)

Have fun...

Get KP for operational. It is easy to learn and you can pick it up cheap, since it has been out a while.

Get SPWaW for tactical. It is fun, free, and you can find hundreds of players for PBEM and tons of scenarios.

Get West Front and/or East Front II. It maybe harder to find, but the game plays great and there are many scenarios for it. It is a little larger in scale than SPWaW.

Hope this helps...

Have fun

< Message edited by Lionfish -- 8/29/2004 10:28:09 AM >

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 9
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 8:39:59 PM   
rickcr

Great! Thanks so much for all the advice. This has to be one of the most helpful and informative forums I've ever posted on which is encouraging because, as a beginner, I'm sure I'll end up needing some strategy help:) (I'm sure I'll find plenty in the archives to keep more than busy learning.)

(in reply to Lionfish)
Post #: 10
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 8:45:46 PM   
rickcr

How is War in The Pacific? I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet as a good game to start with. It looks really cool but maybe too complex of a game to start with?

(in reply to rickcr)
Post #: 11
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 9:06:30 PM   
EricGuitarJames

quote:

ORIGINAL: rickcr

How is War in The Pacific? I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet as a good game to start with. It looks really cool but maybe too complex of a game to start with?

I would say so! It has an awful lot of depth and requires a lot of time to really 'get into'.

Regarding the 'Age of Sail' games you referred to earlier, I have AoS2 and whilst it doesn't do the larger battles very well - the friendly AI just isn't up to it and the interface doesn't make controlling large numbers of ships very easy at all - it's quite good for 2 or 3 ship battles but you'd need the patches too. Talonsoft games are generally quite bad for this - TOAW Elite edition won't even load without a small file being installed into the temp folder whilst installation is in progress!!! Is it any wonder they folded?

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to rickcr)
Post #: 12
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 9:57:46 PM   
wodin

I have to disagree with Eric,

I would NOT buy WiTP or UV if I was a beginner, no way at all!

Buy BiN or KP.

As for Talonsoft games East Front and East Front 2 and Rising Sun and TOAW COW all work with no porblems on an XP machine.

Take 2 website have TAOW COW for sale.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 13
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/29/2004 9:58:54 PM   
wodin

Eric,

TOAW COW is the all time classic operational game. No othe rgame has come close. Buy it if you can.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 12:01:02 AM   
EricGuitarJames

Actually Wodin, you agreed with me (at least I think you did, re-reading my post I might have been a touch ambiguous) so yes, don't buy either of the Pacific War games mentioned if you are a beginner - they are very complex (WiTP more so, UV isn't too bad as long as it's patched to the latest release and you have a strong interest in that specific theatre of war).

Cheers for the recommendation Wodin, it's on my 'watch' list and if I see it at a 'reasonable' price I'll buy it. In the meantime I'll soldier on with TOAW 1 and 2.

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 12:25:47 AM   
wodin

no problem. I read it wrong I thought you were saying yes to buying WiTP not yes its to complicated for a beginner. Ahh the trials of internet communication were no tone of voice is noticable.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 16
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 12:41:22 AM   
Spinoza

What's the difference between the KP-system and the "TOAOW COW"-system ???

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:09:19 AM   
wodin

KP is very easy to play. TOAW COW is extremely detailed. The learning curve is very steep. However the little Ive seen of it (just havent the time to give it yet) it seems to be a very realistic operational game. Also it has countless scenarios from a wide range of wars.

I suggest all wargamers should own this game.

(in reply to Spinoza)
Post #: 18
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:19:59 AM   
Spinoza

But which is more realistic, or are they in the end just the same ?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:24:07 AM   
Kevinugly

That's interesting, I actually found TOAW easier to play initially, it does have a great deal of depth but I didn't feel the need to continuously refer to the manual which I did with KP. Just goes to show..........

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:25:28 AM   
Kevinugly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spinoza

But which is more realistic, or are they in the end just the same ?

As far as any turn-based game can be, they are both equally realistic imho.

(in reply to Spinoza)
Post #: 21
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:28:31 AM   
Rob Gjessing

KP and BIN are far easier to play then TOAW.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 22
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 1:36:47 AM   
Kevinugly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Gjessing

It's odd really, I bought TOAW2 s/hand about 18 months ago, installed it and just started playing it - it seemed to make sense, I won a few battles against the AI, generally cruised along quite happily. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the old board-wargames I used to play, I dunno

(in reply to Rob Gjessing)
Post #: 23
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 4:39:31 AM   
wodin

Many others would find TOAW COW far more in depth than most other wargames. Some scenarios are so big it can take upto 6 hours a turn.

Goto Warfare HQ and read the articles on TOAW COW.

This will give you a feel for the game.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 24
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 5:37:22 AM   
Kevinugly

Oh it's not that I don't find it 'deep', it's more that I find it more accessible than KP. Like HTTR, the more you play it the more you discover 'under the hood' - I've been playing these two games more than any other wargame over the last year or two (counting RDOA as well) but I wouldn't say I've 'mastered' either. That's (for me) is the beauty of a true 'classic' game. As yet KP doesn't 'do it' for me but at the same time I can't knock it. Now it's late and I'm starting to ramble

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 8:38:20 PM   
marc420

I bought the original TAOW back when it first came out. (BTW, a search for Norm Koger in google will take you to the website of this good game designer - not sure what he's up to these days, but TAOW and the even older Age of Rifles are classics).

Not sure which is simpler out of the box, TAOW or KP. I've been playing these games for a long time, so some basic concepts I know without thinking. (BTW, that's why RTS never much appealed to me. I was hooked on these games before I tried my first clickfest). I suspect both would be playable out of the box at the level of pushing counters around and fighting battles. And both will have a lot of subtleties to learn later on. However I'd say the battle resolution screen in KP/BIN and the Combat Advisor probably make KP/BIN a little easier to start with.

I'd highly recommend KP and BIN right now. Both are excellent games. (Well, I'm taking it on faith that BIN will be an excellent game. Credit card sitting here ready for when I can buy it and find out for sure!!!! And that's the BEST compliment I can give these guys at SSG.)

In TAOW, Norm Koger created a system which was scalable from anything from von Moltke's battles with the Prussians late in the 19th century to modern warfare with aircraft, helicopters, missiles etc. Pretty impressive when you think about it. Its worth owning just for the range of scenarios that come with it, and which are available on the web.

But admittedly, I haven't played TAOW since I bought BIN. :)

The one thing I noticed about TAOW is that since the underlying data is so complex, it takes a fair amount of skill to set up a scenario. Thus I've seen scenarios that play nothing like the historical battle because of choices the scenario designer made. But there are a LOT of scenarios out for this system, so there are plenty of good ones.

Steel Panthers is another one to look into. I've usually got SPWAW on my computer. BTW, in case you look at this and get confused, Steel Panthers was the original commercial game. SP1 was WWII. SP2 was Modern conflicts. SP3 they raised the scale from individual tanks to platoons of tanks. It covers both WWII and modern. (some liked it, some don't ... I was in the "liked it" category). After the game system stopped being commercially developed, they let others come in and work on it. So Steel Panthers World at War (SPWAW) is continued development of the game by others. Same I think is true for Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank. I've played and really liked SPWAW. Can't say much about the other as I haven't seen it.

If you see a game called Combat Mission around, its the same sort of game as SP. Same infantry squad/individual vehicle scale. But with 3d graphics and a game system where you give all your orders for the next minute, then watch them execute. Probably a generation of game design beyond SP.

I just bought HTTR. I'm loving trying to learn that game right now. But it probably isn't a beginners game. Kinda assumes you know a bit about oob's and force structures and how military units are organized and what they are supposed to be doing as well as what various equipment is and does. But if you start playing these games, go back and get that one some day.

UV and WITP are both complex games and rather obtuse in their UI and design. I've got UV, but haven't bought WITP yet. Not quite sure that I want to play the War in the Pacific on 1 day turns yet. :) Love the concept, so I keep coming back to these games. But seems like it could be done better.

For a lot of these games, extensive "after action reports" are up on these forums. These are articles written by players who are playing the game. So its about like looking over their shoulder as they play. Reading the threads that say "AAR" can be a very good way to learn what these games are about, especially since most don't have demos available.

BTW, for most companies out there today, I try to always get a Demo first. But, for SSG I'd waive that rule. They seem to put out good quality games, and they don't seem to release buggy games that require patches to play the way other companies do. Its a short list of whom I'm willing to send money to blind these days for a game, but SSG is on that list.

To me, KP/BIN are pretty much state of the art these days. Especially for a game that manages to be a combination of historically accurate, fun to play, and relatively easy to learn. Well easy to learn at first. I just lost my first PBEM game, so I've obviously still got some more learning to do. The KP/BIN system comes across to me as very subtle. But as I learn it I'm more and more impressed with what they've done. KP/BIN don't overwhelm you with a lot of details and choices. But the way the choices that you are given are used is the part that's very subtle. That's where I just lost my PBEM game, on the subtle little details that I missed and my opponent didn't.

< Message edited by marc420 -- 8/30/2004 6:44:48 PM >

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 26
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 8:44:01 PM   
benpark

Wodin said-"Some scenarios are so big it can take upto 6 hours a turn."

...and that's just for the computer to process the supply!

I think KP is by far the best place to start for computer wargames. It is so good that even with repeated play, it still is a great game all around.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 27
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 9:22:47 PM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Gjessing

It's odd really, I bought TOAW2 s/hand about 18 months ago, installed it and just started playing it - it seemed to make sense, I won a few battles against the AI, generally cruised along quite happily. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the old board-wargames I used to play, I dunno

Yes like I said before, every person has elements or features in a game that "catch them" or float their boat. For me the Decisive Battles series - TAO and KP, as well as Combat Mission were both games that immediately "grabbed" me, harking back to the old Avalon Hill days of boardgaming. Neither RDOA nor TOAW nor SP nor John Tiller's games(only tried Smolensk) did it for me, no matter how much I tried to get into them.

Each game has a myriad of features, whether simply the UI or 'flow' of battle, that set them apart from the other. I know from experience trying to get my nephews interested in wargaming, most of the things we take as granted as wargamers are totally incomprehensible to them, yet I show them a game like Combat Mission and they have an interest and willingness to play, even if initially that was simply related to the 'coolness' of the 3D environment, it progressed towards a more traditional tactical/strategic nature.

I am a strong proponent of demos for wargames, no matter the 'opinions' expressed here by the Matrix staff stating the so-called reasons otherwise. Yes we oldtimers with 20+ years of wargaming will buy games "sight unseen" for the most part but how else will new blood be introduced and established into the hobby?

Anyways slightly off-topic here!

Ron

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 28
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 8/30/2004 9:27:39 PM   
Hartford688

[deleted]

< Message edited by Hartford688 -- 8/31/2004 9:01:57 PM >

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 29
RE: Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question - 9/1/2004 12:25:59 AM   
marc420

Well, for me "demos" are a matter of trust. How much do I trust this game company? I've spent way too much money through my life on computer games that were complete turkeys, thus I always try to remind myself as I'm about to make an impulse buy to do the following.

-- read reviews of the game
-- read the forums associated with the game
-- download a demo and play it.
-- don't impulse buy a computer game

Now with SSG, I know the company and the basics of the game engine well enough to know I'm going to buy this game without seeing a demo. There's a very short list of other companies I feel the same about.

So, for example, I feel pretty good that SSG (and Matrix also) wouldn't release a buggy, incomplete version of a game just to get it on the market by Christmas. But many other game companies will do just that. I've had several games where I'm anxiously awaiting patches in March that will finally make a christmas game playable. So for me, its getting close to a date where I'll start being very, VERY careful about what I buy. Again, this doesn't apply to SSG and Matrix.

So, yes, I think its a very good idea to do demos. But that's because I've been burned and ripped over and over by game companies that are less ethical than these guys.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to rickcr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Sick of RTS games.. this game looks great..question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI