Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/13/2004 5:12:48 AM   
po8crg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis
Elaborate, if you would, on the following game types (Start date, turn length, number of players and the major nations):

Roman Game
American Revolution
American Civil War
Franco-Prussian
World Conquering (i.e. Advanced Risk)

Here are some suggestions:

Roman. Not sure you could make this work; Roman era combat is different. You'd have to restrict corps to one movement point without a leader, and prohibit reinforcement just to get close. If you pick a period of around 220BC, you might get something interesting - MPs would be Rome, Carthage, Macedonia, Seleucid Syria and Ptolemaic Egypt, with the Greek city-states as minors, Spain as a conquered minor without a Free State ability, Numidia as a Carthaginian Free State. I'd just blank out the barbarian areas (like the northern half of Gaul, Germany, etc) to make powers concentrate on Mediterranean dominance. Fleets are probably non-translatable.

The Seleucids would have some kind of access to elephants from (ultimately) India. I'm trying to remember how much Parthia had conquered by this stage, but adding them as a seventh power stretches things too far East, and they don't have anything to do but attack Seleucia (unlike the real world). Perhaps an UMP models them best.

American Revolution: Won't work. Two player, unless you incorporate France and the Caribbean theatre - and if you do, then EiA's naval system will be creaking at the seams. Colonial-scale wars with small army and naval detachments works OK if you just scale everything down, but there were proper fleets involved as well as small naval squadrons.

American Civil War: Won't work. Two player, and EiA needs its political/diplomatic system. Also the military model is all wrong, given the huge advantage to the defense.

Franco-Prussian: Well, a two-player scenario might work, but you really want a CG covering the 1854-1878 period. MPs are the same as 1805-1815, except for swapping Spain for Piedmont/Italy. A four-player Germany/France/Austria/Italy CG (covering 1859-1871) exists, and I wrote a draft expansion to seven with Turkey, GB and Russia added in. Army sizes are different, but probably not well-enough used to really change things - apart from fiddling with the chit chart, of course. Long defensive lines, used well, is characteristic of very few battles, unlike the ACW in the same period. You need some better revolt rules, to completely debilitate Russia when the Poles revolt.

Other periods the system will work with:

French Revolutionary wars, 1792-1802. Take your pick of the many good CGs covering this period, including EiH.

War of the Austrian Succession 1739-1748 and Seven Years' War 1756-1763. Usual seven majors, possibly plus Poland and Sweden, though I think those two (and Spain in the 7YW) are better as UMPs, since they were very passive and you need to stop them trying too much. Plus, they're too fragile to be fun to play.

The War of the Spanish Succession (1702-1714) is possible - for that matter, so is the Nine Years' War (1689-1697). The Great North War (1700-1721) gives you an option for an eleven-player game: England (with Scotland as a Free State, I guess), France, two Spains, Austria, Prussia, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, Russia, Turkey. Sieges are harder in this period; so are blockades, and also smaller armies can more easily hide in (fortified) cities.

Go any earlier and armies are too small for the EiA Corps system to work - what you have is just an army, which pretty much stays concentrated about a leader; also the depot supply system is new in the late seventeenth century. If you look at the devastation of the Thirty Years' War, everything is run by forage supply and they wreck the areas they forage in.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 91
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/13/2004 4:15:41 PM   
rotor911

quote:

Franco-Prussian: Well, a two-player scenario might work, but you really want a CG covering the 1854-1878 period. MPs are the same as 1805-1815, except for swapping Spain for Piedmont/Italy. A four-player Germany/France/Austria/Italy CG (covering 1859-1871) exists, and I wrote a draft expansion to seven with Turkey, GB and Russia added in. Army sizes are different, but probably not well-enough used to really change things - apart from fiddling with the chit chart, of course. Long defensive lines, used well, is characteristic of very few battles, unlike the ACW in the same period. You need some better revolt rules, to completely debilitate Russia when the Poles revolt.

Yes, a game about the European wars in this period would be great but what would be greater imo would be to include also the USA ! : there could have involvment of both Britain and France in the ACW if I recall correctly, there was a french military intervention in Mexico (1864) which was vigorously condemned by the Usa and could have degenerated in American intervention. Also the race for colonization had begun (India, North Africa), it already played a role in european politics and caused important conflicts by itself (revolt of the cipayes in 1857). I think the mechanics of the game would work well for all the part (Europe, ACW, India) but, of course, that the scales would have to change. Several maps then, each one with its own scale.
Maybe it reminds you of something. Maybe such a game could be called... Empires in Flames

(in reply to po8crg)
Post #: 92
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/14/2004 6:31:32 AM   
sol_invictus

Rome would be a perfect era! Its got it all. Thirty Years War or the Wars of the Austrian Succession would also work nicely. Would love the see Prussia at the top of her game. As someone said earlier; modeling the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine diplomacy that would involve could be problematic.

(in reply to rotor911)
Post #: 93
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/16/2004 3:31:30 PM   
fjbn

About port blockade, it was a brit invention in the seven years war, in fact, it was introduced in 1759 and it was the key to GB success, because french fleets were blockaded and GB could send small fleets with corps to Canada, india, etc. So it could be introduced in a seven years war scenario, not before.

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 94
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/17/2004 4:04:22 PM   
Sigurd Jorsalfare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norden

What about the "30 years war". It's pretty much perfect for this kind of wargame with long peaceperiods in between.

Norden

Agree

< Message edited by Sigurd Jorsalfare -- 12/17/2004 2:05:23 PM >

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 95
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 12/23/2004 5:38:08 AM   
BoerWar

The reformation - you guys should buy the rights to SPI's A Mighty Fortress (1977). You could probably use this engine as a spinoff.

(in reply to Sigurd Jorsalfare)
Post #: 96
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 1/5/2005 10:28:51 PM   
Roads

I like parts of "Mighty Fortress". The religious stuff, in particular is nicely done, and the HRE is handled in a not entirely ridiculous fashion. But the game has stacking limits that are simply absurd, and wide front wars across Hungary, Germany and France is an apallingly bad representation of the era. Allow unlimited stacking and I think the game would fall aprt because the force structures of the powers are fixed.

In fact that's the problem for using the EiA system for any pre-Revolutionary war period. Before 1792 there really wasn't any problem with havign all your troops in one place. Army sizes were limited by logisitics, and generals always kept their armies together. It wasn't until the much larger armies of Revolutionary France that armies (or corps) were dispersed and then concentrated for battle. And the cost of keeping all of your corps in one province is a pretty key part to EiA.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

(in reply to BoerWar)
Post #: 97
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 1/20/2005 10:51:35 AM   
ravinhood

I would prefer to see this engine used in the Ancients period of time, from the beginnings of Rome to the Greek states and Persian Empire. Also the American Civil War. There's really yet to be a good operational type Civl War game that I've played.

I'm looking forward to this one, reminds me of "War & Peace" by Avalon Hill, at least it's close to a board wargame, I'm sick of fancy graphics 3D wargames that are just crap and mere eye candy and no real wargame.

(in reply to megalomania2003)
Post #: 98
RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? - 1/21/2005 6:36:15 PM   
1LTRambo

Actually, EiA was also released by AH. You should pick up a copy, it's better.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Tell us where to go after EiA...??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI