Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/22/2004 7:45:43 PM   
PeteG662

I was doing a test of Hirohito's theory and I am screwed anyway in this one. Just playing around with the Russian gambit. I ran Russia as well as China and doing some ancilliary stuff in DEI with a quiet Central Pacific area. Even with the extra divisions it is slow going against the determined AI! LOL

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 181
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/23/2004 1:38:55 AM   
kaiser73

quote:

ORIGINAL: KERENSKY

quote:

ORIGINAL: dereck

The pact German and Japan signed was actually a defensive pact and required each other to come to the other's assistance only in the case of one or the other being ATTACKED.

That's why to this day historians are totally baffled as to why Hitler declared war on the United States (thereby solving Roosevelt's dilemma on that matter) when he wasn't bound to at all. After all, when Hitler attacked the Soviet Union the Japanese didn't also attack the Soviets because they weren't bound to.

Quick reply of main reason:

1- He was a mad man and thought Russia will be soon out of play.
2- He got some free weeks of hunting for the subs around East coast before convoy system be installed.
3- He was certain that the now in war USA ( together with CW ) will soon turn on him too, and he rather be free hand against him rather than face an allies invasion in early 1942, and massive US flagged weapon supply to CW.
4- He thought this gesture will bring a replicate DOW from Japan to USSR. He lose big time.
5- What other thing could he possibly have done ?

Just food for thought.

Actually Hitler didn't want Japan fighting USSR. He was thinking he was able to win in russia in 4 months alone. and so he wanted Japan fighting USA and keep USA busy just for the time needed for him to take on Russia.
He did declare war to USA cause he had given his word to Japan (when he was trying to push the Japan to attack USA).

His strategy wasn't bad at all...he just made one mistake, but a big one...he understimated USSR.
As a side note, many people at that time were doing the same. USSR wasn't rated as a strong military.
Russia did bad in ww1 when Germany was able to beat them even while fighting the allies in west.
they did bad in Finland.
They had their army purged by Stalin.

Even UK advisors, in '39 were believing Poland was a better and stronger ally than USSR.
In '41, when Hitler invaded, USA was expecting Russia to crumble within 6 months.

(in reply to IKerensky)
Post #: 182
RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post ... - 11/24/2004 1:47:17 AM   
Corvus

Before this thread I'd never had a look at the Soviet forces to see what they had - I don't play Japanese and given how long before they become active for use for the Allies there wasn't a point looking at them.

The Soviet forces at start are large and stronger than any Allied forces anywhere else. I'd enjoy having them activated early. One thing I did notice is a complete lack of any naval vessels for the Soviets. Is that an oversight by the designers or did the Soviet not even have a cargo ship at Vladivostok?

I had a look at the Soviet forces at game start and again two months into the game (which is where my current game is up to) to see if there were any differences at about the time any attack would have been ready to commence according to the views on this thread.

No additional ground forces arrived over this time, and increases in assault values were minor (from around 290-300 atstart for the infantry divisions to around 300-310). The air forces though did see increases. The fighter groups started at 1/2 strength and the bomber groups at 2/3 strength. Two months later the bombers had reached full strength, including some upgrading to Pe-2s. The groups equipped with newer model planes (Yaks, MiGs and LaGGs) also increased in numbers, but the older model equipped groups didn't see an increase in number and weren't due to be upgrade for many months.

Vladivostok-Imam area (south).
In this region are 9 infantry divisions (@ 300A), 1 cavalry division (@130A), 3 infantry brigades (@130A), 1 motorised brigade (@100A), 5 artillery regiments and 2 tank brigades (@70A). In addition there are also a number of HQ, ENG and CD units scattered around.

There were also 8 groups of fighters stationed here, 3 being equipped with modern fighters, totalling almost 300 fighters (around 100 being modern fighters). Two months later it had reached 9 groups with over 350 fighters (150 being modern fighters).

Khabarovsk-Blagoveshchensk area (east)
4 infantry divsisions (@300A), 4 artillery regiments, 1 armour brigade (@70A) & 1 motorised brigade (@100A) were stationed here.

They had support from 3 fighter groups (around 100 planes), of which 2/3rds were modern fighters, and 4 groups of bombers (144 planes). Two months later it was almost 140 fighters (100 being modern fightters), and almost 200 bombers (half of which were new Pe-2 bombers).

Borzya-Rukhlovo area (north)
3 infantry divisions (@300A), 1 mountain division (@300A) & 3 artillery regiments were stationed here.

They had support from 2 groups of fighters (72 planes) and 2 groups of bombers (72 planes). Two months later fighter strength had marginally increased (to 76 fighters), and bombers strength and increased to almost 100 planes.

All up that is a fairly tough nut to crack - 16 infantry divsions, 1 cavalry division, 1 mountain division, 13 artillery regiments, 3 armoured brigades, 2 motorised brigades & 3 infantry briagdes + ENG, HQ, AA and CD. At start they also have around 470 fighters (180 modern planes) and over 200 bombers. Two months later it had reached over 570 fighters (250 being modern planes) and almost 290 bombers (almost 100 being Pe-2s). I can't see how taking on all that equipment wouldn't result in substantial losses even if the victory was quick.

(in reply to kaiser73)
Post #: 183
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: would someone total the Russian resources and post it here? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI