Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 12:30:08 AM   
bbbf

Tankers were much smaller back then. Not the big boys we see nowadays.

Ships sink all the time - something like ONE a week on average! (Don't know what they define as ships - probably Trawlers and up).

Robert Lee

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 31
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 12:33:59 AM   
donkuchi19

Think of all of the fish that are now using those wrecks as artificial reefs now though. There may have been some short term damage, but they are now homes to the fishies.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 32
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 12:49:11 AM   
hithere

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbbf

Tankers were much smaller back then. Not the big boys we see nowadays.

Ships sink all the time - something like ONE a week on average! (Don't know what they define as ships - probably Trawlers and up).

that is a good point...not many super tankers that at least i think of back then. by the way..i did a paper one time on the effects of the magnetic pole flip flop...there is still a lot of debut whether it will be done quickly or over 100's of years or more. if it is quick..we should be ok, minus some of the obvious prob. if it is slow we are in a little trouble.

Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 33
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 1:33:57 AM   
cyberwop36

quote:

ORIGINAL: madmickey

Actually the oil companies wanted to pipeline the oil from Alaska to the Alberta/Montana border than pipe it from there to other location in USA.

Hope they do. I work in a steel mill that makes a lot of the plate for those pipelines.

I did have a deep sence of irony that W says there is no proof of climate change as 4 hurricaines in a row hit Jeb's Florida. I don't believe in coincidences. [or spell check, lol]

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 34
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:17:02 AM   
madmickey

quote:

ORIGINAL: cyberwop36

quote:

Actually the oil companies wanted to pipeline the oil from Alaska to the Alberta/Montana border than pipe it from there to other location in USA.

Hope they do. I work in a steel mill that makes a lot of the plate for those pipelines.

I did have a deep sence of irony that W says there is no proof of climate change as 4 hurricaines in a row hit Jeb's Florida. I don't believe in coincidences. [or spell check, lol]

That was in 1970 any new oil will be shipped through existing system.
Even though there is a good case to make for global warming, recent Hurricane acitivity is not. Hurricane activity were much more frequent prior to 1990s there was a lull for 10 years.

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 35
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:19:11 AM   
PeckingFury

quote:

quote:

LOL, was wondering when W's name was going to get linked to this thread, oil spilling into ocean......climate changes...... my kid missed a touchdown pass......I forgot to put sugar in my coffee this morning, clearly W is behind this. Lets not make this a political thread PLEASE!! election is over for most and im glad.

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 36
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:35:08 AM   
madmickey

By the way some environmentalist were predicting that the caribou would disappear because of the pipeline instead they tripled in size.

(in reply to PeckingFury)
Post #: 37
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:42:05 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

By the way some environmentalist were predicting that the caribou would disappear because of the pipeline instead they tripled in size.

And them's some mighty big carabou.

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 38
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:44:05 AM   
bbbf

Yee Gods,

I thought Caribou were big enough already, but THREE times the size they were previously.

Robert Lee

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 39
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 2:51:53 AM   
madmickey

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbbf

Yee Gods,

I thought Caribou were big enough already, but THREE times the size they were previously.

Think of the size of the steaks.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 40
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 5:11:48 AM   
Platoonist

In addition nowadays we have environmentalists decrying the effects of advanced USN sonar on whales and other marine animals. So what was the effect if any during a full-blown Atlantic convoy battle with dozens of ships pinging away and depth charges to boot?

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 41
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 4:25:58 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

In addition nowadays we have environmentalists decrying the effects of advanced USN sonar on whales and other marine animals. So what was the effect if any during a full-blown Atlantic convoy battle with dozens of ships pinging away and depth charges to boot?

World Whale populations benefitted enormously from the sinking of most whaling ships during the war. This more than made up for all the pinging and depth charging.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 42
Naming games - 11/10/2004 4:38:18 PM   
soeren01

I would like the ability to give a name to a game. The name than should appear as clear text at the beginning of each combat report, siginit report and should stay as clear text somwhere at the beginning of a saved game.
This would make sorting reports and saves much easier if you play multiple games and would allow for the developement of utilities that automatically sort games/reports/siginit without confusing them.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to MengCiao)
Post #: 43
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/10/2004 4:42:07 PM   
captskillet

I dunno if those poor SOB's in New Orleans can build the levee's up high enough to keep from going under since its below sea level!!!!!!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 44
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 4:59:08 PM   
UncleBuck

That is one of 4 Tanks in the Western Lagoon at Saipan. All of the Tank crews got out. None were damaged by Enemy fire. they were swimmign ashore and went into Holes in the Lagoon. I have climbed on that tank myself :) I wasn't keen on going inside since it is real rusty steel. I went all over that Island in Fall of 1996 and it was awsome. Gun Emplacements, old Bunkers, un-exploded ordnance All kinds of old bones and equipment in some of the caves. (all strictly sacred and part of teh Memorial of Saipan, you can't take anything out of there).

UB

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 45
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 9:15:32 PM   
Grunt

How will sea levels rise? The north polar ice cap is floating and much of the south cap is too. It is already displacing water. The water level in a glass of ice water does not rise when the ice melts.

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 46
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 10:04:18 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

But Global Warming is just a theory.

I thought it was a confirmed observation. What is a bit theoretical is to what extent some of it is part of some "normal" cycle...like the normal cycle that cataclysmically alters the circulation of the Gulf Stream when the planet goes in and out of "Ice Ages" and so on.

Some ofthe latest pictures of the North Pole show open water. Not good. Bullshit oil companies, internal combustion engine, consumerism.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to MengCiao)
Post #: 47
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 10:06:43 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

Lets screw up the wildlife too. Really messes with the caribou herds etc.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 48
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 10:20:40 PM   
madflava13

Oil came out of the earth... Sinking tankers is simply a way to restore the natural order. Greenpeace should be blowing up the tankers to get the oil back where it came from. Those sub commanders were the first environmentalists!

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 49
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 10:21:26 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

Lets screw up the wildlife too. Really messes with the caribou herds etc.

But the Cariboo are 3 times larger and 10 times smarter! They just charge money for putting in the pipelines and buy guns and shoot the wolves.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 50
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 11:31:13 PM   
Toast

The north pole melting would not cause any rise in sea level, since, as you pointed out, most of it is floating. It could cause changes in the Gulf Steam since it would affect the salinity of the Arctic Ocean. The South Pole ice cap is mostly on land (some extends inot the sea, but the vast amjority is on the Antartic continent) so if that melts it could cause major rises in the sea level. Also in the Arctic there is a rather large ice cap on Grennland which would cause minor flooding if it melted.

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 51
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 11:34:15 PM   
Toast

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeckingFury

quote:

quote:

LOL, was wondering when W's name was going to get linked to this thread, oil spilling into ocean......climate changes...... my kid missed a touchdown pass......I forgot to put sugar in my coffee this morning, clearly W is behind this. Lets not make this a political thread PLEASE!! election is over for most and im glad.

Actually I got a flat tire the first Monday after the election. Coincidence?

(in reply to PeckingFury)
Post #: 52
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/11/2004 11:43:56 PM   
Bradley7735

quote:

quote:

I think I read that the Alaskan politicians have nixed this option. They want the funding to build another pipline from the ANWAR (I can't remember for sure the new drilling site) to the Gulf of Alaska. It'd cost about half to connect to Canada's pipeline, but the Alaskan politicians want the money to come to Alaska. I'm a big fan of the state I was born in, but passing a bill just so the american public can spend twice the tax money on a pipeline is just asinine. (if anyone is more informed on this topic, feel free to correct me. It was many months ago when I read that article)

(in reply to Toast)
Post #: 53
RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 - 11/12/2004 12:27:43 AM   
madmickey

I was talking about the origianl pipeline. No oil tanker in Valdez was a side benefit.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Imagine if Green Peace had been around in WW2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI