Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you capture them?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you capture them? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you capture them? - 11/26/2004 6:15:11 PM   
Dolmon

Is the damage to oil and resources random when you capture them? Or are there things that you can do to limit the damage?

Seems like a lot of time would be wasted playing to find palemberg totally trashed and needing 2 years of repairs.

Any strategies?
Post #: 1
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/26/2004 6:37:01 PM   
worr

Yes, it does seem you can.

I found in one game that if you starve them out...and don't rush, you can take the oil fields 100% in tact. He had maybe 5 ENG units there too. Use bombardment, and smaller attacks over a long period of time to wear them down.

Worr, out

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/26/2004 6:38:20 PM   
WhoCares

Kill (disabling might be enough) all the Engineers at the base.
Bombard the base for several days/weeks/month before you finally take it.
Command attacks that do not take the base but kill/(disable?) its garrison.
Of course, all this burns supplies you might just as well use to rebuild the resource/oil centers

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/26/2004 6:53:50 PM   
tsimmonds

I don't know about limiting damage when you take them, but any competent Allied player will bomb the p1ss out of your new oil centers after you take them. Don't get impatient and try to take them too soon. Wait until after you have whittled down whatever strategic air threats he could possibly deploy before you capture the big oil centers in particular (Singapore especially, but there are others; you know where they are in your game better than I do). Be ready to defend them as well; have aviation support, AAA, and A6Ms ready to move in along with the construction engineers. It does little good to capture them intact if you then allow your enemy to pound them into scrap from the air....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 4
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/30/2004 10:42:33 PM   
Oznoyng

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

I don't know about limiting damage when you take them, but any competent Allied player will bomb the p1ss out of your new oil centers after you take them. Don't get impatient and try to take them too soon. Wait until after you have whittled down whatever strategic air threats he could possibly deploy before you capture the big oil centers in particular (Singapore especially, but there are others; you know where they are in your game better than I do). Be ready to defend them as well; have aviation support, AAA, and A6Ms ready to move in along with the construction engineers. It does little good to capture them intact if you then allow your enemy to pound them into scrap from the air....

Singapore doesn't have any oil. I presume you meant Palembang?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 5
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/30/2004 11:04:11 PM   
Feinder

quote:

I don't know about limiting damage when you take them, but any competent Allied player will bomb the p1ss out of your new oil centers after you take them.

You betcha. Easy exp for newbie Allied bombers. And even your fighter squadrons can bomb resource hexes. Anything I can do to burn supplies from my opponents. It's fun for the whole family!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Oznoyng)
Post #: 6
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/30/2004 11:07:48 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Singapore doesn't have any oil. I presume you meant Palembang?

Actually I was trying to hold up Singapore as an example of a strategic air threat that needed to be whittled down before taking the big oil centers, but my syntax sucked.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 11/30/2004 4:08:20 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Oznoyng)
Post #: 7
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 11/30/2004 11:11:56 PM   
mlees

Burmese Oil/Manpower/Rescources are good from Hvy bombers in Calcutta.

At least, the AI I play doesn't put fighters in Mandalay to stop me...

The Japanese are on a production drop-dead schedule, though. If you take too much time capturing rescources/oil, I'm not sure if the supply savings make up for the possible production lost from not having enough oil and whatnot.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 8
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 12/1/2004 2:30:01 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Burmese Oil/Manpower/Rescources are good from Hvy bombers in Calcutta.

At least, the AI I play doesn't put fighters in Mandalay to stop me...

The Japanese are on a production drop-dead schedule, though. If you take too much time capturing rescources/oil, I'm not sure if the supply savings make up for the possible production lost from not having enough oil and whatnot.

There is a second reason for waiting as long as possible to capture oil centers. The oil that is being pumped by the allies (and they can't stop pumping) is "money in the bank". When you finally do get around to taking the enter, there will be thousands and thousands of tons of oil just sitting there waiting to be loaded. There will usually be at least some damage to the oil center when you take it; if you want to maximize the amount of oil in Japanese stocks in April 42, don't take ANY oil center until late march and then take all at once. This way all of the oil centers will be pumping at max rate and storing the oil for you. If you take the center it might get damaged and then the Allies will bomb it; by waiting until all of the Allied air is destroyed (or pushed out of range) before you take the oil centers, you protect them from bombing and maximize the amount of oil (in the short term; they will still take damage that has to be repaired).

Yes, this is VERY gamey and highly unrealistic; not only can the Allies not sabotage the oil, they have to store it and keep it safe for the Japanese invaders.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 9
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 12/1/2004 7:32:08 AM   
Feinder

Gamey and unrealistic, sure. But I give you high marks for innovation, and I'm an Allied fanboy!

I really is an excellent idea. Kudos.

Now if I could only convince U2/Kbullar/Ltfighter to put off capturing -anything- until about 1944...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 10
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 12/1/2004 6:23:40 PM   
mlees

This sounds like you need to be a master at forward thinking and timing.

I am neither.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 11
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 12/7/2004 12:45:28 AM   
Dolmon

There seems to be a catch to capturing them late.

The oil is being destroyed.

I took Balikpapan (300 oil) in mid January. It produces 1800 oil per day. There should have been about 60000 oil, but there was only about 20000.

This has been repeated even at undefended oil, such as Miri.

I know the Allies didn't stick around and transfer the oil out.

No one was ever at Miri.

But it still is nice that when you get Palemberg there will be 100000+ oil there, but it is not the full production of 4200 per day.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 12
RE: Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you captur... - 12/7/2004 3:28:01 PM   
BlackVoid

Spoilage it seems works for oil too.
My strategy is to land some arty from the Malaya invasion force in Palembang and bomb the hell out of the defenders before taking it. 900 resource and 900 oil points would take forever to repair otherwise. Not to mention the supply drain...

(in reply to Dolmon)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Can you limit Oil & resource damage when you capture them? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI