Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: December Update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: December Update? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: December Update? - 2/4/2005 7:46:54 AM   
FrankHunter

The map is tilted. Look at Europe and then tilt the map so that the French channel coast and the German coast are equal distant from the screen top.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 91
RE: December Update? - 2/4/2005 10:33:59 PM   
ojnab_bob

Frank, any other words of wisdom on the status of the game? I just read Shaara's novel on the Great War and am itching to try this bad boy out.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 92
RE: December Update? - 2/5/2005 3:09:27 AM   
wodin

Im reading Shaara's novel aswell. Its not as good as I'd thought it would be. Glaring mistakes at the start. British wearing tin hats in 1915 and using the word regiment instead of battalion. This makes me wonder how much research he actually did.

So many better books out their to give a feel of combat most of them are memiors.

(in reply to ojnab_bob)
Post #: 93
RE: December Update? - 2/5/2005 8:16:29 AM   
Tankerace

What do you mean wodin? At least in WW2 and I believe in WW1, In British nomenclature a battalion was a regiment. Or at least a British regiment was the equivelent of an American battalion.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 94
RE: December Update? - 2/5/2005 9:15:04 PM   
wodin

A British regiment consists of four or more battalions. Each Battalion had four companies. Only once did two battalions of the same regiment serve along the front line together. All of which fought as seperate entities. A Brit would refer more to his battalion than his regiment. In the book he should have used Battalion not regiment in the context of the paragraph. Besides that its a glaring mistake to have the Brits in tin hats in 1915.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 95
RE: December Update? - 2/5/2005 10:35:54 PM   
dricard

A british regiment it is only an administrative and ceremonial grouping of battalions in the infantry. Let's give an example of two batallions of the same regiment in 1914:

The 7th Btn South Staffordshire Regiment, they fought with the 33rd Brigade, 11th Northern Division, K1 new army ( the first 100.000 enlisted soldiers in 1914). Destination in 1915 : Gallipoli

The 8th Btn South Staffordshire Regiment attached to 51st Brigade, 17th Northern Division, K2 New Army. Destination in 1915 : France.

So, I am agree with wodin, use the word regiment instead of battalion is a clear mistake.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 96
RE: December Update? - 2/6/2005 3:51:34 AM   
wodin

Thankyou

(in reply to dricard)
Post #: 97
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: December Update? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI