Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/20/2004 9:34:23 PM   
2ndACR

All gas masks suck to wear. But I will say that when it is cold outside, it is no problem getting guys to wear their MOPP gear (chemical suits).

(in reply to String)
Post #: 31
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/20/2004 9:56:36 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

All gas masks suck to wear. But I will say that when it is cold outside, it is no problem getting guys to wear their MOPP gear (chemical suits).

I tested a whack of them years ago. Regretted it but hey, extra cash (beer) on the JR's mess chit.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 32
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 12:44:10 AM   
BlackVoid

Nebelwerfer (german 300mm rocket launcher) sound.
Allied soldiers called it the wailing death. (Hope my spelling is right).

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 33
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 1:08:20 AM   
Strv103C

I have read about that russian stringbag "Rata" I think, it had a special sound. Must have been terryfying... for those inside the plane.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 34
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 2:53:28 AM   
RevRick

One of my parishioners was a very gentle, tall, older man who was quiet of voice, and impeccable in demeanor. At one of our Men's Group suppers, someone asked me about a trip my best friend and I had taken my son on to see the Yorktown. I told them about the carrier and the sub. This very tall, stately gentlemen said he was on one of those old diesel boats once. Looking at his age, and wondering, I asked him when. He told me about being in the Marines, and being transported by sub to scout the beaches and camps prior to the invasion of Bouganville. To him, the clanking of the Japanese troops mess kits were frightening, because they told him how close they were to get the proper counts for the camps. A couple of days later they rowed off the beach at night, but had enough of a wind problem to miss their pickup by the sub. They rowed as far out to sea as they could, and the next day were spotted by a Jap aircraft. They played dead, but didn't know what would happen. Later, they spotted a periscope looking right at them, but didn't know whose it was. It turned out to be their sub, finding them after a days search (which was incaculably lucky). But, to him, he said he hates to wash dishes because when the flatware clanks together, it makes that same kind of sound.

BTW, this is not a "sea story." We shared some of those when he was in the hospital. This was an old vet telling me things he hadn't told anyone in the church. Since my Dad was a Marine in the same area, I felt specially privileged that he would share that with me, as his pastor.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Strv103C)
Post #: 35
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 3:52:45 AM   
freeboy

the click before the bang of the detonator in a depth charge, the thud before the bang of the granade just out of reach in your trench, anything ron says, hundreds of Russian tanks rumbling toward your depleted lines when you realize your orders to hold to the last man means you..
sorry ron!

< Message edited by freeboy -- 12/21/2004 12:08:14 PM >

(in reply to String)
Post #: 36
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 4:48:28 AM   
Mike Scholl

I think you can leave out most infantry weapons. Yes they were deadly..., but at least
a soldier could shoot back at those using them. You could DO SOMETHING. Artillery-
type ordnance is another thing altogether. All you can do is look for the best cover
available and pray you weren't on the recieving end of a direct hit. Gas makes this
scarier because it can seek you out---but it wasn't actually used in the Second World
War.

The reason I suggestted being on the recieving end of an Allied Carpet Bombing assult
as the absolute worst is because you could see and hear it coming, but there was abso-
lutely nothing you could do but wait for it to happen. It's the "whistle" of an incoming
shell..., but it lasts for several minutes. Then you can see the bombbay doors opening
and watch the bombs start to fall, but again there was nothing you could do about it.
Finally the destruction begins, and it goes on and on and on, tossing 60 ton Tigers on
their sides and rippling the ground like an unending earthquake. And even if you do
survive the bombing, you know you are going to be directly in the path of an major
assult. Small wonder so many of the recipients are described as "dazed, incoherant,
or totally insane". While it didn't happen often, it's hard to imagine a more horrifying
experiance.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 37
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 5:03:36 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Good story Rev.

Wait a minute....should you really be playing war games

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 12/21/2004 3:04:18 AM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 38
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 6:04:04 AM   
dday

"click" of the yellow wire (oop! should be the blue one)

UXB

(in reply to String)
Post #: 39
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 7:25:44 AM   
dtravel

Well, there was that story from an episode of M.A.S.H. A writer friend of Hawkeye stops by and explains that he's going to call his book "You don't hear the ricochet" (or something like that), because in the movies just before the good guy gets hit you always hear the sound of a ricochet. He goes off to the front and comes back to the hospital as a casualty with a gunshot wound. His last words to Hawkeye are, "I heard the ricochet."

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to dday)
Post #: 40
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 3:35:49 PM   
Speedysteve

I'm with Mike on this - the most terrifying stuff would be weapons/munitions that you can't fight back against - artillery, rocket launchers, V2, depth charges, mass bombing. They are passively defended against and most humans would be much happier if they can at least try and do something to shoot back (focus on the positive rather than waiting for something to happen. Will it or won't it get me!)

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 41
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/21/2004 8:47:26 PM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stavka_lite

I would think it would be the ripping sound made by an incoming 16" shell

Yeah naval gun fire would have to be the worst, cus theres nothing you can do about it just sit there and take it. Read some of the accounts from marines on Henderson, and they said that was one of there worst experiences.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 42
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/22/2004 12:14:26 AM   
neuromancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Eleanor Roosevelt screaming as Franklin plays "back door man" with her on Sunday mornings!

Okay, was that really necessary?

< Message edited by neuromancer -- 12/21/2004 3:14:41 PM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 43
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/22/2004 12:20:42 AM   
madmickey

Gestapo or SS sirens you will be probably dead in a short time.

sarcasm on Chamberlain "Peace in Our times"

< Message edited by madmickey -- 12/21/2004 10:53:22 PM >

(in reply to neuromancer)
Post #: 44
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/22/2004 12:30:53 AM   
neuromancer

Some German survivors of WW2 talked about the SS and Gestapo on a show I watched a while back. One of the side effects of the Jewish prosecution, particularly as itn wasn't too hard to be arbitrarily labelled a 'Jew', was that it made everyone worry. They knew that if someone wanted it to happen, the Gestapo would come and get you, and there would be nothing anyone would or could do to stop it.

Jew, not Jew, sympathiser, or not, if the Gestapo was there for you, it was already too late.

Another fellow commented on the gestapo showing up in the middle of the night to arrest people. They did it to scare people even more (nothing like jackboots on the stairs and then the door being kicked in to wake you up from your sleep) and they usually did it, but he said it was unnecessary after a while. Everyone was scared to death of the Gestapo, if they showed up at your door, whether you were wide awake or just roused from sleep was irrelivant, you were scared.

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 45
RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... - 12/22/2004 1:05:15 AM   
Runsilentrundeep

Depends on the person I would think:

German soldier: First round of an artillery barrage on the Eastern Front.

Japaneese: B29s coming in fast and low on a hot dry summer night.

Italians: An Il Duce speech.

French: Insert French joke here.

American: Savo Island opening barrage.

Russian/Pole: Sound of a Stuka or a straffing fighter.

< Message edited by Runsilentrundeep -- 12/21/2004 11:05:30 PM >

There are only two types of vessels in the water, submarines and targets.

(in reply to neuromancer)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI