Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How can you guys stand PBEM?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 4:17:49 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc
Who said the player has to upgrade his equipment?

Yeah, that's what sophisticated game design is all about.
quote:

Seems like a bunch of whining over nothing when your complaint can be easily solved by a house rule.

Thanks for respecting, then responding intelligently to, my post.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 151
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 4:33:54 AM   
WiTP_Dude

quote:

There are plenty of abstractions in this game. Just because your comfortable with abstraction A doesn't mean abstraction B is wrong. If it's optional, then what difference does it make?

The question is whether the abstraction makes sense in terms of making a simulation covering the War in the Pacific. I just don't see how having both sides load up with super aircraft advances the simulation.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 152
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 4:46:58 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

Who said the player has to upgrade his equipment?

Yeah, that's what sophisticated game design is all about.
quote:

Seems like a bunch of whining over nothing when your complaint can be easily solved by a house rule.

Thanks for respecting, then responding intelligently to, my post.

Np, glad to help.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 153
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 4:47:58 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: WiTP_Dude

quote:

There are plenty of abstractions in this game. Just because your comfortable with abstraction A doesn't mean abstraction B is wrong. If it's optional, then what difference does it make?

The question is whether the abstraction makes sense in terms of making a simulation covering the War in the Pacific. I just don't see how having both sides load up with super aircraft advances the simulation.

If it's optional, then can people agree to not do this if desired?

If they both agree to not do this, then where is the problem?

(in reply to WiTP_Dude)
Post #: 154
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 4:55:04 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

....We've been playing monsters since the early 90's. You just have to stop looking at it as playing a game and more as a way of life. LOL

What a truely sad statement....

(in reply to emorbius44)
Post #: 155
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 5:08:08 AM   
pasternakski

Yeah. This is what I need:

1. Design the game
2. Publish the game
3. Sell the game
4. Shut up and play the game

All this self-important "gee, I know it all, and if I would have designed it, it would have been like this, so here's my mod and here are my cute little suggestions, so now we're all going to putz around and enjoy each other's company, because PBEM and modding are SO good when shared among US and the game will be so much better when OUR fantasies (known to us as ideas) are incorporated ..."

I think I'll fire up my C64 emulator for a round of "Carrier Force."

This show's so good, it ought to be on television.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 156
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/3/2005 5:13:49 AM   
WiTP_Dude

quote:

If it's optional, then can people agree to not do this if desired?

If they both agree to not do this, then where is the problem?

Good points, something to think about.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 157
RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? - 1/19/2005 1:09:11 AM   
CaptDave

Personally, the only problem I find with the AI is that there are too many forum threads where people reveal what the AI is going to do (or not do). After some time it may not be the most intelligent opponent on the face of the planet, but neither will I be.

That said, I'm definitely looking forward to some good PBEM at some point, too. That's the only way to guarantee a lack of advance knowledge of the enemy's plans! In the meantime, since I have very little time available to play (besides my 9½-hour-per-day paying job, I'm the corporate secretary of a not-for-profit organization and I'm working on my MBA), the AI is good for learning the game. I've been playing the same scenario since mid-August and I'm only up to mid-January 1942 in the war; how many PBEM opponents would put up with that (any volunteers out there?)? When I do get a chance to play, I find out how little I know about such things as supply, command structure, and so on (I'm doing all right on the combat side of things, aside from forgetting to put CAP over the Enterprise, with the result it's now the first resident of Iron Bottom Sound, and sending a bombardment TF straight into the face of a Japanese TF with five undetected carriers!). But, as hard as I try, I can't get out of my head some things I know to expect from the AI (I won't reveal them here). As I say, though, it's a much better tutorial than the actual tutorial is.

(in reply to WiTP_Dude)
Post #: 158
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: How can you guys stand PBEM? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI