Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has everyone left or is it just me?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Has everyone left or is it just me? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 4:04:22 AM   
NeverMan

Have most of the people that were here last year left or is it just me?

I really hope that Matrix can make this game come out by July. I know that's REALLY far away, but later is better than never I guess. I hate to see such a small company put so many resources into one game and then not get a good return.
Post #: 1
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 4:11:03 AM   
sol_invictus

I check in twice a day. Fortunately, we have Bull Run, Guns of August, RTW, and AGW to take our minds off of EiA. I can probably wait till summer for it; but any later will threaten my sanity.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 5:27:56 AM   
pasternakski

The guys at my club say they won't buy this, because they would rather see a computer version of AH's "War and Peace," which we all consider to be a superior boardgame on the subject.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 7:29:32 AM   
Pippin

quote:

Have most of the people that were here last year left or is it just me?

I like to keep quiet in the background unless we going to argue about strategies...

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 4
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 7:54:43 AM   
mattcooper5

no man, we're still here. i check this forum at least once a day, and i don't post. i'm sure there are a lot more out there like me.

shoot, i've only got a mac and i'm gonna buy this game. (gonna hafta "borrow" my gf's PC! ;) )

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 5
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 5:40:04 PM   
Regeurk

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

The guys at my club say they won't buy this, because they would rather see a computer version of AH's "War and Peace," which we all consider to be a superior boardgame on the subject.

Having played copious amounts of both EiA and WaP, I must respectfully disagree with you. They both happen to be my two favorite games, but WaP is simplistic compared to EiA, and, to my mind, therefore, inferior.

Aside from more flexible diplomacy, the presence of Turkey, and other "big" things, the single feature that makes EiA so superior and preferable, in my opinion, is the percentage-based combat system. War and Peace uses the old-fashioned "odds" (i.e. 1-1, 3-2, 2-1, etc.) system, which leads to somebody searching around for that extra elusive factor in order to take a battle from 3-2 to 2-1 odds. If you don't achieve that 2-1, essentially the factors in the stack that are in excess of 3-2 are wasted. In EiA, every single factor counts, because losses are inflicted as a percentage of the opposite army's factors. When I first discovered EiA's percentage-based combat, the "odds" system appeared so archaic that I found myself almost unable to play a game that employed it anymore. I dropped AH's 1776 at about that time, too, which had been a staple of my gaming repertoire. EiA became almost the only table-top game I played anymore.

Just curious, are there anyother wargames (computer or table-top) that employ something similar to EiA's percentage-based combat? When I first discovered it, I predicted it would only be a matter of time before all games moved to it, and the "odds-based" combat would disappear as a relic of the past. Apparently I was wrong!

Respectfully (but adamantly) submitted.

Post #: 6
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 6:15:50 PM   
sol_invictus

I have never played EiA but I have played WaP quite alot. I would love to see a pc version of that classic. Frank Hunter was looking at making something along those lines until Tiller dropped the hammer on him. I am continually dismayed that more Civil War and Napoleonic Wars grand strategy games are not produced.

(in reply to Regeurk)
Post #: 7
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 6:21:07 PM   
1LTRambo

No, I'm still here and even though I just started posting this summer, I have been monitoring the site since early 2003. As far as I'm concerned, I am very willing to wait for cEiA as long as the program is fully functional and bug-less.

(in reply to Regeurk)
Post #: 8
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 7:53:58 PM   
donkuchi19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Regeurk

quote:

Having played copious amounts of both EiA and WaP, I must respectfully disagree with you. They both happen to be my two favorite games, but WaP is simplistic compared to EiA, and, to my mind, therefore, inferior.

Aside from more flexible diplomacy, the presence of Turkey, and other "big" things, the single feature that makes EiA so superior and preferable, in my opinion, is the percentage-based combat system. War and Peace uses the old-fashioned "odds" (i.e. 1-1, 3-2, 2-1, etc.) system, which leads to somebody searching around for that extra elusive factor in order to take a battle from 3-2 to 2-1 odds. If you don't achieve that 2-1, essentially the factors in the stack that are in excess of 3-2 are wasted. In EiA, every single factor counts, because losses are inflicted as a percentage of the opposite army's factors. When I first discovered EiA's percentage-based combat, the "odds" system appeared so archaic that I found myself almost unable to play a game that employed it anymore. I dropped AH's 1776 at about that time, too, which had been a staple of my gaming repertoire. EiA became almost the only table-top game I played anymore.

Just curious, are there anyother wargames (computer or table-top) that employ something similar to EiA's percentage-based combat? When I first discovered it, I predicted it would only be a matter of time before all games moved to it, and the "odds-based" combat would disappear as a relic of the past. Apparently I was wrong!

Respectfully (but adamantly) submitted.

The only other place that I have seen the percentages used are in table top wargaming with figures. I like using Charles Grant's rules from the 18th century to figure losses in my Napoleonic wargames. (each group of six figures has a percentage chance to inflict losses of up to 3 figures based on a dice roll, range, morale, first shot, and other variables that aren't to hard to keep track of once you get used to it.)

< Message edited by donkuchi -- 1/21/2005 12:55:11 PM >

(in reply to Regeurk)
Post #: 9
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 9:09:02 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Regeurk

quote:

You're not disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with about three-fourths of the membership of a wargaming club.

And it's not really a disagreement, just a matter of taste. W&P gets a lot more play here than EiA because it has a more operational "feel" due to the hexgrid, leader rules, and quantification of strength points into counters.

The primary rap on EiA? "Too abstract."

(in reply to Regeurk)
Post #: 10
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 9:20:39 PM   
simone.donnini

quote:

You're not disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with about three-fourths of the membership of a wargaming club.

And it's not really a disagreement, just a matter of taste. W&P gets a lot more play here than EiA because it has a more operational "feel" due to the hexgrid, leader rules, and quantification of strength points into counters.

The primary rap on EiA? "Too abstract."

Its a matter of taste of course, both games are good, but I too like the strategic level of EiA. In war and peace the campaign rules are unplayable.

Post #: 11
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/21/2005 11:54:42 PM   
pasternakski

Do you have the game's revised rules? If not, they are available at various places on the Internet.

One thing that counts against W&P is that the map is static while the political situation is fluid. This could be addressed in a computer version very easily. Other than that, we have no difficulty playing 1805-1815 games all the time.

(in reply to simone.donnini)
Post #: 12
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/22/2005 1:11:18 AM   
Kikka

You ought to look into Cyberboard and other computer PBEM versions of W&P. All the fun of the original and no counters to sneeze into oblivion!

Actually my dream of a computer game would be a la TSR La Grande Armee system for the operational/strategic, with a revised combat system (original was a DRAG) and optional jump to a tactical map for the actual battles. I've actually been tinkering with doing this, but programming, even with some of the SDLs and GDKs is still murder.

If we had the option to port EIA's battles into a computer module tactical map for the battlefield resolution..we'd have the holy grail It wouldn't even have to be 3D!

Cosacks 2 holds out to be this, but I'm guessing it will be a heck of a fun RTS GAME based on the Napoleonic Wars, but a poor SIMULATION, aka wargame.

Post #: 13
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/22/2005 9:42:09 PM   
Regeurk

Say -- I'm curious where you're from. I'd send you a private e-mail, but it's not possible with your forum listing. You can reply to me privately. I'd love to find a group like yours that plays Napoleonics (even W&P!! -- as I said, it's my 2nd favorite game!) all the time!

Lonely in Denver.

Post #: 14
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/22/2005 10:28:32 PM   
CICERON

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kikka

You ought to look into Cyberboard and other computer PBEM versions of W&P. All the fun of the original and no counters to sneeze into oblivion!

Actually my dream of a computer game would be a la TSR La Grande Armee system for the operational/strategic, with a revised combat system (original was a DRAG) and optional jump to a tactical map for the actual battles. I've actually been tinkering with doing this, but programming, even with some of the SDLs and GDKs is still murder.

If we had the option to port EIA's battles into a computer module tactical map for the battlefield resolution..we'd have the holy grail It wouldn't even have to be 3D!

Cosacks 2 holds out to be this, but I'm guessing it will be a heck of a fun RTS GAME based on the Napoleonic Wars, but a poor SIMULATION, aka wargame.

For the best napoleonic tactical combat system you should have a look there...

< Message edited by CICERON -- 1/22/2005 8:30:06 PM >

(in reply to Kikka)
Post #: 15
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/23/2005 1:05:03 AM   
gazfun

quote:

Actually myself and mates are going to use this PC EiA for the Campaign System and use Cossacks2 for the battles with editor & mods. I know what you are saying But Cossacks2 wont have anything available for multiplayer in the same genre.

(in reply to Kikka)
Post #: 16
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/23/2005 2:40:25 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

We have no interest in PBEM, because we provide plenty of competition among our own group.

(in reply to Kikka)
Post #: 17
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/23/2005 10:02:27 PM   
CICERON

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazfun

quote:

Actually myself and mates are going to use this PC EiA for the Campaign System and use Cossacks2 for the battles with editor & mods. I know what you are saying But Cossacks2 wont have anything available for multiplayer in the same genre.

[size= 16]Histwar "les Gognards" will allow muti-play: 3 vs 3!

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 18
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/23/2005 10:48:10 PM   
simone.donnini

Nice title, but... realease date?

(in reply to CICERON)
Post #: 19
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 1/23/2005 11:35:43 PM   
CICERON

It must be released on Spring 2005, as EiA.... As far as i know!

Post #: 20
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/8/2009 8:55:07 AM   
anklrd

This month.
http://www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=55

quote:

ORIGINAL: simone.donnini

Nice title, but... realease date?

Post #: 21
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/8/2009 2:31:15 PM   
Mardonius

Wow... a 4.5 year gap in postings. That is impressive!

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to anklrd)
Post #: 22
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/8/2009 4:37:48 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Yea, this one threw me for a loop! LOL!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 23
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/8/2009 8:58:08 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Yea, this one threw me for a loop! LOL!

Me too since I saw I was the OP... had to check it out, lol.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 24
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/8/2009 9:30:06 PM   
Mardonius

I guess they have all left now anyway... Except Neverman, of course :)

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 25
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/9/2009 6:25:46 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I have never played EiA but I have played WaP quite alot. I would love to see a pc version of that classic.

I also played AH War and Peace way back when and never played the EiA boardgame. I liked the operational flavor of WaP a bit more but EiA provides a better grand strategy flavor. It would be good to see both games ported to the PC. But since no PC adaptation of a ftf boardgame can be perfect, we would have to see. Perchance to dream, yes?

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 26
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/9/2009 8:09:06 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

I'm kinda gone in the sense that I won't pay to help beta test a game. I check in here occaisionally for a chuckle and continue to hope that a useful product will come out eventually. I swear I'll play it once it works properly.

GSB

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 27
RE: Has everyone left or is it just me? - 10/9/2009 8:42:08 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grapeshot Bob

I'm kinda gone in the sense that I won't pay to help beta test a game. I check in here occaisionally for a chuckle and continue to hope that a useful product will come out eventually. I swear I'll play it once it works properly.

GSB

Well, while I agree that it still has A TON (way too many for one man to tackle in a lifetime) problems, I don't think it will ever be "perfect", that would be asking way too much... how about "near perfect" or at least "resonably playable"?

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Has everyone left or is it just me? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI