Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leadership Rating that would be nice to have

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Leadership Rating that would be nice to have Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/23/2005 9:30:02 PM   
madmickey

2 HQ leadership rating it would be great to have, even though I know we will never see it are,
1) Ability to listen to subordinate.
2) Ability to understand and achieve strategic goals.
What are people opinions on this and other leadership skills that may be included?
Post #: 1
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/23/2005 9:40:46 PM   
rtrapasso

I would guess the Admin skill would take this into account.

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 2
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/23/2005 9:47:40 PM   
madmickey

D MacArthur administration 66
Did he ever listen to his subordinate who were not yes-men?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/24/2005 12:35:15 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: madmickey

D MacArthur administration 66
Did he ever listen to his subordinate who were not yes-men?

obviously!

Otherwise he wouldn't know to get rid of them

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 4
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/24/2005 12:43:39 AM   
madmickey

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 5
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/24/2005 1:44:10 AM   
pasternakski

Yeah, Douglas MacArthur was an incompetent horse's ass who never accomplished anything other than the deaths of millions of Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 6
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/24/2005 2:11:25 AM   
byron13

quote:

2 HQ leadership rating it would be great to have, even though I know we will never see it are,
1) Ability to listen to subordinate.

Not sure I quite get this one. No, I'm sure I don't get this one. Exactly what kind of affects would this have? The other skills affect how efficiently or expertly existing men, materiel, and other "assets" are used. How does one's ability to listen affect the way existing assets are used? Furthermore, you'd then have to add a skill for subordinates being able to explain. So you've got a subordinate that is able to explain precisely and a senior that is able to comprehend precisely. Then what? Too weird.

quote:

2) Ability to understand and achieve strategic goals.

The player is the one that needs to understand and achieve strategic goals. The player's strategic goals are achieved by the repetitive efficient and expert use of existing assets by his computer subordinates to achieve tactical successes. Regardless, in order to understand and achieve strategic goals, you'd have to be able to input those somehow, and that capability doesn't exist (I don't think). The only thing remaining is how efficiently and expertly the leaders use their assets, and that is the bane of all of us (when your torpedo bombers attack a MSW TF instead of the crippled carrier two hexes away).

(in reply to madmickey)
Post #: 7
RE: Leadership Rating that would be nice to have - 2/24/2005 2:37:42 AM   
madmickey

Someone like Spruance was not an expert at a lot of things but he understood and listened to his subordinate he knew how to judge people. This should be reflected.

On Strategic
Again to Spruance he knew that in Midway his objective were to destroy the Jap’s carriers without losing his ships. He acted bodily sending all his planes off in first strike. When the victory was won he did not do something stupid like allow the superior Jap's enemy surface fleet a chance at his fleet at night or move his fleet within air combat radius of the Japanese land air unit chasing after a couple of cruisers. In that battle he even went against Halsey staff when presented with evidence that they were wrong.

In The Marianna he understood that he had to take the Island and protect the Marines. Chasing after pilots/planeless aircraft carrier in the direction of strong land air units is again a rather silly choice. Marines will fight their asses off but they expect the navy to protect them from naval attack. He allowed Mitscher to light up his carrier to save valuable pilot lives. My old Marine raider friends has not a lot of good thing to say about Non US marine armed forces. He loves Spruance, because Spruance understood the compact and allowed The Marine commander to run the land battle.

In a few month Mitscher would have to deal with an Admiral (Halsey Leyte Gulf) with more air experience but difficulty listening to subordinate or understanding the chain of command. Mitscher was not amused.

< Message edited by madmickey -- 2/24/2005 1:01:16 AM >

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Leadership Rating that would be nice to have Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI