Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: March Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: March Update! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 5:40:27 PM   
NeverMan

Half-Life 2 is one of the best video games ever made, period.

I love EiA (the boardgame), but as far as video games go, there is not going to be any comparison between HL2 and this belated EiA/EiH hybrid.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 31
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 7:29:48 PM   
carnifex

HL2 sucked!

Single player mode totally linear, no choices to make, always only one tunnel or one door, all AI is scripted and not very well at that. Oh yeah, the water reflections are really really nice looking.

Should I mention that you CAN'T even play the stupid game without installing Steam, and waiting for an hour while it updates some stupid update that you don't want anyway? This is for the single player mode too. You can't play an offline game without being online. Man how stupid and annoying is that?

I was more disappointed with HL2 than any premium game I've purchased in the last couple of years. It was so hyped, over such a long time (which I believe is the point of the poster who originally brought up HL2) but aside from some new graphics, the game play really sucked and the game was inconvenient to play at best. My only hope is they license the HL2 engine to make a better game somewhere.

Anyways, BF1942 2.0 is coming out this summer I think, so I'll get my FPS fix in.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 32
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 8:04:49 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Ditto to what you said. Although I'd still put HOI as a slightly bigger disappointment than HL2. I do hope they can make use of the engine for something better.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 33
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 8:12:03 PM   
Pippin

Well while we are on half-life 2, I got a question. I remember watching my friend install it, and it took us two bloody hours to install because we had a problem with the number serial trying to get it to work. There was more than one god damn serial number on his package and both didn’t seem to work. Somehow, we found some combo that finally worked???

Did anyone else get confused on what numbers to input to unlock the damn cd? Puzzling why such a simple process had to be done so horridly.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 34
RE: March Update! - 3/25/2005 3:23:27 AM   
NeverMan

I didn't have a problem installing it, although I think it is stupid that you have to have the internet to install a game you bought person. It didn't take me an hour to install, but then I have a fast comp and know how to operate it.

So HL2 game engine and graphics were a disappointment?? You have REALLY HIGH expectations, I feel sorry for you.

Yes the game was linear but never disappointed. The story was good, the control was great, the graphics were great, the play was great, etc, etc.

Not to mention that it came packed with two other games (CS:Source and Deathmatch). I don't play Deathmatch but CS:Source is good (except for the hackers, which it is apparently easy to hack it: another Steam issue).

Yes, if they had used someone besides Steam, it would have been REALLY great, instead of just great.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 35
RE: March Update! - 3/25/2005 3:49:22 AM   
Pippin

As for myself I found the graphics a little disappointing too. They were actually not so bad, if you had a fetish for slow frame-rates and lockups even on a so-called high-end alien-ware box.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 36
RE: March Update! - 3/25/2005 11:02:54 PM   
NeverMan

Like I said, I didn't suffer slow frame rates and it never locked up on me.

I do agree that it takes a pretty high end comp to play, but mine is nothing special:

3.0E Ghz 1MB Cache P4 Prescott HT
1 GIG DDR memory
7200 WD HDD
10x/24x DVD/CD ROM drive
256MB 128-bit ATI Radeon 9800 Sapphire Vid Card
SB Live 5.1 Sound Card
AOpen MB (forget chipset)
400 W PSU
etc, etc

Nothing special and it works great. I am sorry this game disappointed you. It didn't me and everyone else I have talked to.

And at the very least, HL2 is an actual video game I can play that is a reality, unlike some other games that have been in development for over 2 years and the release isn't even in sight.

Seriously though, I can't see how the graphics disappointed you, or the game engine. Odd.

EDIT: I don't understand why anyone would buy a comp from a company already built when you can buy perfectly good parts at perfectly good prices at plenty of eggy online sites and put it together yourself. At least you know what you are getting then.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 3/25/2005 11:08:22 PM >

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 37
RE: March Update! - 2/22/2007 11:04:04 AM   
Soult

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis
Hey guys:

The March update is here! I'm EARLY! Can you believe it?

well... unable to find an update from March 2006, but lets be serious: every update is just timeless

on the other side it was a real shock to find out that Marshal once was "EARLY"

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 38
RE: March Update! - 2/22/2007 6:11:36 PM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soult

quote:

Hey guys:

well... unable to find an update from March 2006, but lets be serious: every update is just timeless

I thought this was a 2007 March update. I took me a few posts to realize it was a 2year old thread!

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 39
RE: March Update! - 2/22/2007 6:57:00 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

Remember one of the reasons why we announce our games early is to get your input at the start and thoughout the development process. I hope everyone can see from this forum conference alone that we do listen to what you are saying. We then research your comments and make changes that we feel are justified and are able to make. Its stinks as far as time lines but from our track record it does seem to make some great games. I also like to thank Marshall and the beta testers for sticking with it.

David Heath
Matrix Games

THAT is why it bothers me so much when people complain. I applaud your methods! Release it when it is ready, not a moment before!

Dean

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 40
RE: March Update! - 2/24/2007 1:03:37 PM   
saintsup

edited

< Message edited by saintsup -- 2/24/2007 1:18:24 PM >

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 41
RE: March Update! - 2/24/2007 1:05:05 PM   
saintsup

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soult

quote:

Hey guys:

I thought this was a 2007 March update. I took me a few posts to realize it was a 2year old thread!

same here

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 42
RE: March Update! - 2/25/2007 2:37:26 AM   
Murat

ROFL. Well maybe we can pretend it is current! And Soult, you are evil person for bumping this

< Message edited by Murat -- 2/25/2007 2:53:18 AM >

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 43
RE: March Update! - 3/4/2007 6:31:37 AM   
1LTRambo

What The

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 44
RE: March Update! - 3/4/2007 6:34:25 AM   
1LTRambo

If this was a joke, then it was quite cruel.

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 45
RE: March Update! - 3/12/2007 10:23:37 AM   
zoc_trooper

Have you guys checked out the World in Flames monthly updates?  It's another ADG game being developed by Matrix Games that's also behind schedule, but they have incredible feedback from the development team and really detailed monthly updates.

Heck, I'd settle for, "Still working on it.  Hang in there."

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 46
RE: March Update! - 3/13/2007 10:34:43 PM   
YohanTM2

Still working on it, hang em all...I mean hang in there

(in reply to zoc_trooper)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: March Update! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI