Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dump Jump Gates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Dump Jump Gates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dump Jump Gates - 2/5/2002 9:17:00 PM   
Ghostbear

IMHO, Jump gates vastly corrupt the game balance. I didn't like them in MOO2, where (I think) you had to jump from gate to gate. That had the effect of making defending absurdly easy, since you could assemble your entire fleet at any point in an instant. Here, you can launch your entire fleet from many planets and have it assemble over an enemy world. This totally eliminates his ability to assemble a counter force. Very unbalancing. Also, it makes the research into faster engines kind of redundant since your ships head back to the nearest gate and jump from their to their destination. So, either turn it off, make it a point to point gate, or add the option to disable that technology. Or, make some sort of counter that would block jumping within some radius from a defended world (it would have to be a BIG radius or you could just jump one system away).

Ghostbear
Post #: 1
- 2/5/2002 10:24:00 PM   
madmax88

Using the jump gate can be pretty handy for the attacker.
Well, if the AI you're playing against can keep up with your technological advancement, then he should be right behind you with his entire fleet using jump drives.
I agree with your idea though, being able to developp some kind of field, preventing jumps, around your homeworlds would be a nice addition. Nicely, it would also prevent your attacker from fleeing using the jump drive.
As a drawback, you also wouldn't be able to use your own jump drive in your field. You'd have to use the gate.
Then again, and i apparently can't stress this too much, this is merely us players talking.
It doesn't necessarily have to be taken seriously.

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to Ghostbear)
Post #: 2
- 2/6/2002 4:05:00 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Hmm, posted this to the wrong topic. Too many windows open at the same time. Jump Gates work in one direction only. You can't use any one else's gates except your ally's. You still need fast cruise drives to get back. Jump Gates represent a sea change in space travel and are meant to change everything. The ability to supress a jump into a system or for a number of parsecs is an interesting one. Will think about it for the next patch. [ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Andrew Ewanchyna ]

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to Ghostbear)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Dump Jump Gates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI