Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

austerltz the rise of the eagle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> austerltz the rise of the eagle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/25/2005 2:57:28 PM   
Rat Race

i'd like to hear from the designers whether there's any link with that game, it's seems to me a computer adaption in many aspects. A fantastic game by the way, got me two years playing. I've been waiting for a pc conersion since then

one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter - Ronald Reagan
Post #: 1
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/26/2005 3:39:02 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rat Race

i'd like to hear from the designers whether there's any link with that game, it's seems to me a computer adaption in many aspects. A fantastic game by the way, got me two years playing. I've been waiting for a pc conersion since then

I haven't seen the game you mentioned.

Best,
Eric

(in reply to Rat Race)
Post #: 2
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/26/2005 6:30:25 PM   
Rat Race

it's a pbm game which, as I said, has strinkingly similarities with your concept. I guess it must be a popular idea...
there's some info here
http://www.austerlitz.biz/

btw i also like the current artwork for tactical battles

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/27/2005 5:18:37 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

it's a pbm game which, as I said, has strinkingly similarities with your concept. I guess it must be a popular idea...
there's some info here
http://www.austerlitz.biz/

btw i also like the current artwork for tactical battles

I'll look it over.

Honestly, I too prefer looking at the chits to the 3D units when fighting a big battle. I always figured I was in a small minority.

Thanks,
Eric

(in reply to Rat Race)
Post #: 4
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/27/2005 5:35:06 AM   
Pippin

In TOAW, I so did prefer those fake 3D units. Added a slight touch of added realism to the look.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/27/2005 6:59:36 AM   
Becket

I definitely prefer 3d units to chits/counters. Whether you or I are in the minority depends on where the poll is conducted.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 6
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/27/2005 10:28:54 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

To me, counters are ok for WW2 games, but Napoleonic battles ask for figures in nice uniforms

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 7
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 4:16:20 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

To me, counters are ok for WW2 games, but Napoleonic battles ask for figures in nice uniforms

Agree - it is part of the atmosphere of the game. Guess that is because I "grew up" (to use the term loosely) on counters with the attack and defense and movement ratings printed on them for all those WWII games. But anything before the ACW needs pictures/figures.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 8
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 5:38:31 AM   
Pippin

Looking back now I guess the 3D counters in TOAW were not too bad. The 2D I believe did give a little bit of more info however (more real-estate to fill in). I think that was the only real reason some people stuck with the counter mode.

IIRC, the 3D counters represented the type of unit just by the look of the image itself. You could still tell how high the stack was by the bottom (shading?). There was also a circle ring of smaller circles around the unit image which would represent some other info, and some of those circles were shaded different colors which again represented even more info. And for the rest of the information, wasn’t there a mini window to the top right of the screen which showed the finer details of the current unit?

It is too bad Talonsoft couldn’t make a little patch to get it to run on XP sigh. Maybe that is why they are not around anymore. I do remember hearing Norm wanted to do some improvements with it, but Talon refused.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 9
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 8:42:08 AM   
coralsaw

I absolutely love the tactical counters of this game. To me, after the initial impressions faint, 3d counters get boring, while counters remain functinal. Glad it's an option.

/coralsaw

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 10
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 10:36:44 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

It is too bad Talonsoft couldn’t make a little patch to get it to run on XP sigh.

TOAW runs fine on XP(at least ACOW does), no need of any patch

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 11
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 10:54:57 AM   
Pippin

How do you get past the “This is not an NT Compatible CD” problem?
Though an idea has just sprung to mind. If I could find a warez/cd-crack package, then perhaps this would let me bypass that whole compatibility nonsense. But then again, there is a directx problem to be over-come as well perhaps.

Post #: 12
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/28/2005 1:39:06 PM   
Rat Race

quote:

Either way. As long as the information is cristal clear and easy to understand at a glance it doesn't really matter. The problem in general with 3D, is that you need big pictures to apreciate them; some people prefer having a better, ampler view of the battlefield instead of nice pictures.

Post #: 13
RE: austerltz the rise of the eagle - 3/29/2005 11:43:41 AM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

...some people prefer having a better, ampler view of the battlefield instead of nice pictures.

^^^ describes me to a tee!

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Rat Race)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> austerltz the rise of the eagle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI