Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 7:27:57 AM   
jwilkerson

Well as the IJN in all 6 of the PBEM I'm playing ( or have played ) I'd have to say there is no shortage of either AK or AP ... I have 100s of AP/AK sitting around in Japan doing nothing .. because there is essentially nothing for them to do. So I don't think the problem is just AK or just AK being AP ... but there is too much lift capability in total. There is no "shipping shortage" yet all Japanese Naval officers who have written about the topic - indicate that there was a shipping shortage from day one and it only got worse after that.

Now tankers get tight ... and the loss of even one tanker hurts ... and I always try to accelerate all tanker production ( whereas I halt most AK/AP production ).

The problem is too much lift capacity for the AP/AK combined.

Also I haven't investigated this yet ( it is on my list ) .. but it also seems like the unloading rates may be too high. I have one quote from Halsey talking about it taking a month to unload 24 ships at Noumea. Now in the game, by the time Bill gets there ... Noumea will be completely built out as a port ... so is that level 9 ? And can we unload more than 24 ships in a month ? I need to do some testing on this. But if the unload rates are the theoretical maximum ... instead of the real world average ... then that might be part of the problem as well.

(in reply to TIMJOT)
Post #: 61
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 7:37:19 AM   
mogami

Hi, Suppose we require Japan to move enough supply for 60 million people every month.
Japan has it. It's not in the game but they were busy moving it. Suppose Japanese producion stopped in months where the supply was not delivered.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 62
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 8:23:06 AM   
tabpub

Now, I know that it would be 2nd or 3rd hand, but most of the other simulations (board) that I have seen reduce the Japanese shipping ability after a certain date. For example, in Avalanche Press' Rising Sun, the Japanese lose 3 of the 4 (as I recall the #'s) Landing Craft Units that they begin the game within 1 year of the start of hostilities. This is quoted as reflecting the need to put the shipping back to non combatant status. And, if they are unable to comply (due to losses), they suffer a penalty. This would limit the number of opposed landings that the Japanese can do once the first year is over.

Granted, citing another "game" is not hard evidence of course, but one presumes that there is some rationale involved in the decision that other designers have taken.
On that note, I would think that there should be some reduction in Japanese merchant bottoms available at some date; and, I think that there should be some sort of random reductions in the American shipping, mainly on the merchant side with some warships being "sent to the Atlantic" once in a while.

Just my opinion

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 63
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 8:34:33 AM   
jwilkerson

Yeah I thought of that - just set up 20 convoy's of 10 ships each moving around ... if you could have them move "nothing" automatically that might be worth investigating ... but even though I use computer controlled convoy's on occasion ( not auto-convoy ! ) ... I don't know how to make them run and carry nothing ( or invisible supply ) ... and I wouldn't want to the get sunk carrying my real supply ! So is there anyway to automate them and have them carry "invisible" supply ?

Oh and to tadpub - the reason many games give the Japanese "extra" shipping at the start of the game is because the military really did "borrow" about a million tons from the civilian economy to start the war. But they promised to give it back in April '42 ... and at least intially ... in theory they did give it back ... although shortly they were back asking to borrow more ... and then more ... and then more ... so anyway ... there is a historical basis for giving and then taking away.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 64
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 5:58:26 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Suppose we require Japan to move enough supply for 60 million people every month.
Japan has it. It's not in the game but they were busy moving it. Suppose Japanese producion stopped in months where the supply was not delivered.

The entire Japanese Civilian Population was under rationing well before the war started. It got progressively tighter
as the war continued. I don't think you can make the claim that "Japan had it". Unless you mean in places like
Burma from which they couldn't get it home.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 65
RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 6:46:37 PM   
mogami

HI, By "Japan has it" I mean they have more then enough non military loads to keep the merchant fleet busy.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 66
So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester - 3/29/2005 7:39:58 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

pry, to answer your question...

WE ARE ALL TESTERS since the game is out

so whats the point

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: So You Always Wanted To Be A Tester Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI