Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: uniforms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: uniforms Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 4:37:13 PM   
wayne19563

Lets recap ...

A) Where is the AAR with screen captures?

B) Include an "Age of Rifles" type uniform editor

C) Everyone loves the idea of Detailed Naval Battles

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 151
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 5:27:11 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

All our graphics and alpha channels are layed out in straightforward cells in .pcx files that are easily accessible. So it will be possible to modify any graphic in the game.

The only graphical element that is not easily accessible, I believe, involves the graphics that specify the regions of the map. Players can draw a new map, but the province shapes on it are not easily modifiable absent some serious programming work.

Eric

Thank you Eric. You da man.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 152
AAR - 6/3/2005 9:56:08 PM   
Mr. Z

Ok, as promised, here's a brief AAR. Maybe there'll be some time next week to put up a more extensive one.

Began as Austria, standard campaign (1805), normal difficulty level.

Here, you can see the various Austrian armies represented by flags. A flag can represent more than one army (called a "stack") Total stack size is represented by the small green squares below the flag.

Two diplomats are in Austria as well (they slightly straddle the border), and you see a few generals scattered throughout. A merchant ship is in Venetia, and a rather small fleet in Carniola. French armies are in northern Italy and southern Germany.

More to come.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 6/3/2005 10:04:07 PM >

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 153
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:06:38 PM   
Mr. Z

Here I have assigned my generals to the armies in Austria:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 154
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:17:33 PM   
Mr. Z

Now we're on the move. I have moved an army of Grenzer units up from the border with the Ottomans, and redistributed my armies after assigning my generals. I have also dispatched Metternich to Prussia to maintain the support of F. Wilhelm, and for kicks I've sent Marie-Louise to Hesse to charm them up (the names of diplomats do not strictly represent the actual diplomats working in the field, but rather they represent the influential members of the court pulling the strings behind the scenes).

You can see a stray unassigned infantryman divison in Baden.

A note about the shading: the dark shading on the edges is fog of war. The stripes represent protectorate status. However, "protectorate" should not always be taken to mean a legally dependent relationship. We use protectorate striping to represent actual protectorates, but we also use it to grant a player nation control over the units and armies of an independent country (who otherwise would be acting independently). At the beginning of the War of the Third Coalition, the southern German princes were allied with Napoleon, hence we have given them the protectorate striping, even though the Confederation of the Rhine had not yet been formed. So, think of "protectorate" as meaning "political protectorate" as well as "allied independed country for the scenario"

You can also see that I have built a depot in Carniola. I will need this to feed my armies, since they exceed the Forage value for their respective provinces (you can see the Forage value for the province of Prague in the control bar at the bottom of the screen. You can also see the province of Prague highlighted in green.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 6/4/2005 12:43:24 AM >

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 155
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:20:24 PM   
Mr. Z

Now I'm turning on my various experts and advisors so I don't have to worry about some of the game details--in this case, my Development experts. My development advisor at the lower-right-hand corner is telling me (using body language) that I'm not doing terribly in terms of development, but I'm not doing all that great, either.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 156
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:28:53 PM   
Mr. Z

On to battle! I fought a quick combat in Tyrolia--the French surrendered immediately, and I captured several thousands in pursuit:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 157
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:31:45 PM   
Mr. Z

I almost forgot--I need to give the Russians permission to use my depots! I should have proposed this treaty last turn, since it takes a turn for it to go into effect:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 158
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:43:25 PM   
Mr. Z

Fought another battle in Austria which I won handily. The French seem to be behaving irrationally right now, but it's because they didn't know I would win the initiative--I was able to place all my armies where I wanted them before the French could get there. The main French army, with Napoleon in command, has not yet arrived, but when he does, I'll need to be prepared.

Here's how things stand at the beginning of the second turn. My Grenzer units didn't quite make it to Linz--perhaps they got slowed down by weather. However, they can now move into Vienna and maybe get rid of that depot the French built there (there is also a Russian depot, which hopefully they will no longer need after next turn. You can see the string of depots the Russians have built along the Capathians--very expensive. That's the cost of war for you.)

After shuffling my armies a bit, I end my turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 159
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:51:26 PM   
Mr. Z

The French kept up their strange small attacks, but they made an amazing suicide run on Vienna and managed to defeat my Grenzers! However, I am moving back in with another army, and hopefully should run them out (I better; otherwise, I will be forced to surrender in only a couple of months)

Furthermore, they took Tyrolia, much to my chagrin. I shall now attempt to punish them.

Russians have removed their excess depots, but apparently they decided I was insufficiently supplying them in Carniola.

Styria is producing a military unit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 160
RE: AAR - 6/3/2005 10:54:03 PM   
Mr. Z

Here I'm trying to retake Vienna. My Grenzers weren't fast enough, so they didn't enter the battle, but I was able to call them as reinforcements from the adjacent province, so they have fortunately showed up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 161
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:00:53 PM   
Mr. Z

I lost Vienna again, and am now starting to sweat--I will have to pull some troops off the borders and send them back to the capital in order to prevent a surrender. I also realized that I didn't set a rally point for Russia--will have to go back and do that now.

Had to fight two battles in Tyrolia (due to battle limit size), and I unfortunately lost both, though they were close. Once the French artillery units show up, you are in trouble. This is the point at which it would be advantageous to start using the detailed battle map, i.e. hexwar, and so I shall begin doing so.

Fortunately I was able to smash another small French army in Carniola.

Things are going badly--my treasury is now depleted due to occupation of my capital. I need a good victory fast. Also the Ottomans have decided to invade Sardinia. Not a good omen. And I'm in last place in terms of Glory:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wayne19563)
Post #: 162
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:02:56 PM   
Mr. Z

Here I am setting the rally point for the Russian armies:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 163
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:07:41 PM   
Mr. Z

I'm just going to move everything I have into Styria, and move on from there. In order to support them, I'm going to have to build a depot in Ofen. The French have plundered all my art out of Tyrolia! Very sad. Also I forgot to turn on the option to rally my garrisons to battle--it can occasionally help.

A royal rumble in Vienna! I have also rallied my garrison to battle. And now we will see a fine hexwar...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 164
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:09:28 PM   
Mr. Z

Some good news: I have reinforcements arriving.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 165
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:13:01 PM   
Mr. Z

Behold hexwar. It is winter. First to move are my 19th Cavalry division. Accessible hexes are in pink, with the move values I would have left for each in the lower left-hand corner. All my units begin in line formation, as you can see from the shape of the small squares There is a village in the center of the screen. Various stats and control buttons are at the bottom.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 166
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:18:17 PM   
Mr. Z

And we are off...I have spied the French on my right flank, and have decided to try and reach the nearby village first. However, they managed to get some effective moves in after I was only able to move a cavalry unit and some infantry columns. It's my move again, and here we are beginning what will probably be a major face-off. I'm upset because my supply is lined up in a row at the bottom of the screen (you can't see the rest of the line; it trails off the screen) and I need to get them out of there. On the other hand, it will be useful to have them close at hand in the thick of the battle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 167
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:28:43 PM   
Mr. Z

It's not quite first blood--the French got off a few shots on one of my supply units--but I'm quite happy with this--I decided to try and screen my supply from the French infantry with my cavalry to try and give them a chance to move away without much loss, and success! Moved two cavalry units--a regular and a heavy--up to the French infantry. My regular still had some movement points left, and though it was tempting to put him in a line formation, I decided this would waste my turn, as well as waste a formation change, to boot. A good volley by the French on their turn could render him disordered and useless, or at least much less effective. Checking my morale, and the estimated French morale, I decided a cavalry charge would be a good idea, and here we see the results--326 Austrian losses to his 1969 losses! (The numbers are a little far away from the units suffering the losses because they "float up" after they are displayed...)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 6/4/2005 12:46:19 AM >

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 168
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:30:01 PM   
Mr. Z

However, the downside of this is, my charge attack disordered my cavalry, as you can see from the disorder of the little squares in this shot (you could also see the cavalry figure "spinning"). They are also now fatigued.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 169
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:31:09 PM   
Mr. Z

Here, I have put one of my infantry into line formation:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 170
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:37:07 PM   
Mr. Z

Well, things are struggling along...French have been getting some small but favorable attacks in, and here I attempted to charge an infantry unit, who then formed an emergency square. Darn! I could press the attack, but we all know how that sort of thing turns out...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 171
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 11:45:15 PM   
Reiryc

So far this looks great....

However, I believe your grenzer units should have 8 buttons as opposed to 7 on their jackets.

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 172
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 12:03:47 AM   
Mr. Z

More good news: I was able to form my heavy cavalry into a line, and fire upon the same French division that I charged earlier with the regular cavalry. Result: 303 losses, and they are now shaken (though not disordered--yet).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 173
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 12:04:29 AM   
Mr. Z

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

So far this looks great....

However, I believe your grenzer units should have 8 buttons as opposed to 7 on their jackets.

Heh...well, we do take all comments and criticisms seriously. And we have enjoyed seeing the level of interest in the game, as well as the level of devotion to the period's details by its fans. We are of course very interested in the period, too! And we are always looking for was to improve the game.

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 6/4/2005 12:49:45 AM >

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 174
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 12:14:50 AM   
Mr. Z

Bummer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 175
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 12:34:05 AM   
Mr. Z

Well, at any rate, that's a glimpse of things for now...I'll try to post more later sometime when I have more time to go through an entire battle.

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 176
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 12:59:51 AM   
sol_invictus

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the preview.

Reiryc, behave!

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 177
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 1:31:41 AM   
TheHellPatrol

This has to be the most beautiful Napoleonic strategy game i have ever seen...Wow!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 178
RE: uniforms - 6/4/2005 6:59:01 PM   
sol_invictus

Mr. Z, are you noticing any unrealistic numbers in any countries force pool? That was a major problem with Europa Universalis; it was just to easy to raise and maintain large and unrealistic numbers of soldiers. I hope CoG has effective mechanisms in place to keep this from happening. Can't wait to get some more info.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 179
RE: uniforms - 6/6/2005 2:40:38 PM   
Hohenlohe

Mr.Z your AAR is wonderful.I'm now more enthusiasistic about the game.
Do you know how near the release date is?I can't wait for the game.
I'm just playing imperial glory and it is buggy on my system, so i hope for a better
napoleonic game with more depth inside and CoG seems very promising.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: uniforms Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI