Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: uniforms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: uniforms Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: uniforms - 6/6/2005 3:10:47 PM   
Montbrun

Unfortunately, the combat system in Imperial Glory is a POS. It ruins a good "Beer & Pretzels" game. The moron who came up with the "RTS" combat system should be drawn and quartered.....

Looking forward to CoG - where "real" Napoleonic enthusiasts have their collective mess together.

(in reply to Hohenlohe)
Post #: 181
RE: uniforms - 6/6/2005 3:51:11 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Watching the pictures, it is difficult to see if there is a proper battleline, some units look as if they were mixed together with enemy lines. What is your experience, do you form battlelines? does the battle in general follow an historically realistic pattern?

(in reply to Hohenlohe)
Post #: 182
RE: uniforms - 6/6/2005 7:19:26 PM   
Hohenlohe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Watching the pictures, it is difficult to see if there is a proper battleline, some units look as if they were mixed together with enemy lines. What is your experience, do you form battlelines? does the battle in general follow an historically realistic pattern?

because of some bugs:dektop crashes and freezes i am playing imperial glory only with
quick combat and in the last rounds only strategically

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 183
RE: uniforms - 6/6/2005 10:43:25 PM   
pixelpusher

quote:

What is your experience, do you form battlelines? does the battle in general follow an historically realistic pattern?

Other people (mr. Z) who have played more can probably answer this better; but I've found that you generally have to form lines or you can get flanked, particularly by enemy cav. There is a big difference in damage done based on what formation your units are in, so once you get them into a line with the enemy in sight you don't want to let them go running off somewhere creating a hole in your lines.

The AI is also really good at avoiding killzones, and can adapt quickly to a new situation. So, sometimes battles turn into tight slugfests over particularly advantageous terrain, sometimes it's more like a competition to out flank each other. Sometimes, a couple of high morale units in a good position can just maul a much larger force. (Winning against 2:1 odds is certainly possible, depending on your skill.) For example, I particularly like putting my artillery near a river (can't be charged) with another infantry unit nearby, and the enemy on the opposite bank, tangled up w/ some cav or something. Heh, heh... Another good strategy is to pick an approaching enemy unit and just pulverize it with everything you have, which has a demoralizing effect on all the other nearby enemy units. I think people will find it rich and challenging, really, and I'm sure that hexwar strategies will be much discussed in the future!

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 184
RE: uniforms - 6/7/2005 10:48:27 PM   
Roads

Very nice AAR. Looks very promising.

Despite all that I feel compelled to nitpick. What's up with Radetzky? He was a brigade commander in 1805, a division commander in 1809, and a chief of staff in 1813-14. He's obviously very famous, but in the Napoleonic era he was never a corp commander, let along an army commander.

< Message edited by Roads -- 6/7/2005 10:50:10 PM >

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 185
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 3:00:00 AM   
simone.donnini

This game looks promising, I'm probably going to buy it. But, being a Napoleonic enthusiast, I must admit that the soldiers dont have the 'look and feel' of Napoleonic soldiers, they REALLY seem late 1800 mexicans.

It's a shame, because I dont think that choosing the right colours or 'feel' would have costed one single dollar more.

My question is: how can the developers have not caught a big mistake like this one? Have you ever watched a single image of a Napoleonic soldier?
I dont care about the details, because I too dont know the details of the napoleonic uniforms of the different armies. But I DO CARE about the 'general feeling' and I cant play a Napoleonic battle if the all the soldiers models look like a "fantasy soldier".

(in reply to Roads)
Post #: 186
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 3:13:52 AM   
Panzeh

Play with NATO counters, then.

(in reply to simone.donnini)
Post #: 187
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 4:06:39 AM   
Erik Rutins

Please note that the uniforms are moddable and my impression is that a few people are interested in releasing a more accurate uniform set after release. Those in the game were designed primarily with playability and identification for non-grognards in mind, though the game as a whole has very high historical fidelity.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 188
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 10:37:44 AM   
simone.donnini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Please note that the uniforms are moddable and my impression is that a few people are interested in releasing a more accurate uniform set after release. Those in the game were designed primarily with playability and identification for non-grognards in mind, though the game as a whole has very high historical fidelity.

Thanks for your answer. I think I'm still going to buy the game because, as you say, the game seems to have a very high historical fidelity.

Anyway I would like people to realize that we (the ones who dont like the unit's graphics) are not crazy. I would like everyone to understand that if the graphics are wrong then it's a problem for the developers (who can lose sales numbers), not for the players (who can choose not to buy it).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 189
RE: A.I. - 6/27/2005 11:55:08 AM   
ess1

I am rather concerned about the level of A.I. the game has.
BG, HPS and other games that are completely programmed for moving and combat have pretty ordinary A.I. Hence the preponderence of pbem.
CoG has other factors programmed into it. Surely the combat A.I. must suffer?

Post #: 190
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 6:22:32 PM   
Mr. Z

quote:

This game looks promising, I'm probably going to buy it. But, being a Napoleonic enthusiast, I must admit that the soldiers dont have the 'look and feel' of Napoleonic soldiers, they REALLY seem late 1800 mexicans.

It's a shame, because I dont think that choosing the right colours or 'feel' would have costed one single dollar more.

My question is: how can the developers have not caught a big mistake like this one?

This subject has been talked to death, and as noted is now moot, but I did want to again note that the coattails on the uniforms, to me, places them securely in the earlier years of the century. Perhaps they are not obviously visible all the time.

< Message edited by Mr. Z -- 6/27/2005 6:24:00 PM >

Post #: 191
RE: uniforms - 6/27/2005 6:30:06 PM   
sol_invictus

I am an accuracy nut but the unifroms not being exactly accurate don't really bother me since I prefer the NATO unit counters anyway. I do look forward to the efforts of the modders to see what they come up with though. I still think I think I will stick with the NATO counters however. Is it Thur yet?

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 192
RE: Screens - 8/13/2005 3:17:53 PM   
Balthazar Gerards

quote:

I've had a dozen or so non-Napoleonic-hobbiest-but-strategy-game players in-house for testing and feedback: the initial reaction of every one of them was that they found the Napoleonic details confusing. They don't recognize the old flags, don't know the names of things, don't associate uniforms with nations. I try to be close to my customer, and we use flags and units that are as historical as possible but that still cohere in such a way that is accessible to new users.

never read something like that from a designer working on a napoleonic project

by the way for the french, the 3 colors was only use in 1815, during most of the period it was a diamond, certainly to confusing....

if your army look like a mexican one, it's not only an RGB color question but also the general design of the uniform and shakos.
It's only requiered to have a minimun background on the period.

quote:

Your enthusiasm for this project is charming.

difficult to be very enthusiasm when I think than the Russian guard will look like the French Old Guard but in green

quote:

I have received an enormous amount of enthusiasm and encouragement for our game via electronic mail, and I am certain that the Napoleonics community at large will be as understanding of the need for such compromises.

I begin to ask myself if you use electronic mail tactic like ADM's Bush .

quote:

Also, because of the severe time constraint we have, I have to prioritize work and I might not be able to fix it, because there are plenty of critical things that must be addressed.

the last time I have heard about severe time constraint was for "Pax Romana" ....

Just curious, I've been reading the old-epaulette-colour&size-discussion: 2gaulle, how on earth did you become a betatester for CoG (your initial attitude towards the developer was so . . . negative, your tone so angry)?
(not trying to be offensive, just fascinated by your (as it seems to me) 180 degrees swing!)
(excuse my rather sloppy English)

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 193
RE: uniforms - 4/14/2006 1:58:08 PM   
Wondergamer

Can someone please also post a screen showing how far east the map goes (Does it go all the way to West Asia and Caucasus?)

Thanks

-First Post btw- Hello!

(in reply to Montbrun)
Post #: 194
RE: Screens - 4/14/2006 5:01:17 PM   
Malagant

quote:

Oh yeah. What's that red and white flag? I've never seen an Austrian flag like that. (Thanks again.)

"Duke Friedrich II (1210-1246), the last Babenberg, sought to become more independent of the Roman Emperor (also Friedrich II) and adopted as a new "logo" the red-white-red arms in the year 1230. The first colour document bearing them dates from 1232."

Austrian Flags - Bundesdienstflagge
<-- Clicky

< Message edited by Malagant -- 4/15/2006 9:36:31 PM >

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 195
RE: Screens - 4/15/2006 7:58:20 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malagant

"Duke Friedrich II (1210-1246), the last Babenberg, sought to become more independent of the Roman Emperor (also Friedrich II) and adopted as a new "logo" the red-white-red arms in the year 1230. The first colour document bearing them dates from 1232."

Austrian Flags - Bundesdienstflagge

It was definitely used in the middle ages, but fell out of common military use for a while... however, according to a website run by the Austrian government the red-white-red tricolor was revived in the early 19th century (in 1803, or so, if I remember correctly), which was the source for our having justified using it for the generals' flags. (Though admittedly not all of our generals are Hapsburgs.)

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 196
RE: uniforms - 7/10/2006 3:10:19 AM   
Mr. Z

It basically goes to Moscow, but no further. We managed to squeeze the coast of the Caucasus in. No screenies on hand, but maybe I can post one later.

(in reply to Wondergamer)
Post #: 197
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: uniforms Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI