Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/11/2005 6:49:04 PM   
bstarr

Due to some of the play-by-play posts I’ve read, I’ve been hesitant to play PBEM computer games. I play games for historic interest. I’d prefer to get my ass kicked in a historically interesting game than to kick someone else’s ass and then boast about my exploits of stretching the rules to their unhistoric limit. Most Napoleonic Era fans tend to be more historically minded than others and I’ve been a Nappy fan for years, so I think I may make this my first attempt at PBEM. I’m looking for someone who is historic interest first, competition second. In other words, someone who won’t discover that you can exit troops of the left side of the map and make them appear on the right, then use this to make a round the world attack on my rear. Any takers?
byron

Post #: 1
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/11/2005 7:40:06 PM   
sol_invictus

I feel the same as you and would be happy to fight it out after release. I dipped my feet into PBEM a couple of years ago and ran smack into the problems you mention. It really turned me off playing by email and I haven't done it since. I think the problem is partly due to poor game/rules design. If there is a loophole in a game, count on an opponent to rush through it.

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 2
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/11/2005 9:38:35 PM   
bstarr

You're on.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/13/2005 12:52:05 AM   
Zap

quote:

I’m looking for someone who is historic interest first, competition second

You are looking for what is termed "an honorable" opponent. I agree with your opinion. I attempt to be honorable but cannot guarantee that I will be a good commander. I would take you up on your pre-order. With some solitaire play first, to learn game play system
and a some tactics.
My only draw back is lack of time and an inability to set up a regular time for play. My work schedule changes from week to week.

< Message edited by Zap -- 6/13/2005 12:56:50 AM >

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 4
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/13/2005 5:16:05 PM   
DavidI

bstar,
Put me on your list!
DavidI

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/13/2005 9:03:40 PM   
bstarr

Ah . . . regular play time. I didn't think of that. It may end up a problem for me as well. I'm a small town funeral director, so sometimes I'm swamped 24/7 and sometimes I'm twiddling my thumbs for days on end.

You know how it is, sometimes people are dying to see me and sometimes business is dead.

I can probably work out semi-flexible schedule, though.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 6
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/13/2005 9:59:11 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Count on me as well, in fact I am used to play some games with house rules to avoid unhistorical gamey play

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 7
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/14/2005 4:09:41 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Count on me as well, in fact I am used to play some games with house rules to avoid unhistorical gamey play

Hear, Hear. Increase the list by another bstarr.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 8
RE: Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent - 6/14/2005 8:36:47 PM   
DavidI

With any luck Tim & Company will make a game tight enough that we don't have to use any House Rules.
Although I have played with house rules (you really had to use them for Talonsoft, you need a few important ones for HPS) I prefere not to have to. I don't recall that any house rules were needed for the original BON, but that was a few years ago when I still had a....ah....hmmmm...., Oh Yeah.... A Memory!
DavidI

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Pre-ordering a PBEM opponent Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI