Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/12/2005 8:18:19 PM   
9thlegere

As I suspected, makes no difference.

Plato error midway through a large battle, just as I won a decisive win as well.....

I can't be bothered with a game that crashes every time you play it so hurry up with the patch please.

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 61
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/12/2005 10:09:53 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: 9thlegere

As I suspected, makes no difference.

Plato error midway through a large battle, just as I won a decisive win as well.....

I can't be bothered with a game that crashes every time you play it so hurry up with the patch please.

I hate to be a downer, but I suspect we are 2 patches away from solving the problem. The first patch will include the ability to save in detailed combat. And THAT will allow us to save games with some frequency so that we have a file to send in when we crash and THAT will allow them to determine what is causing the crashes and THAT is what will allow them to fix it.

For whatever it is worth, I have found that if you abandon your current campaign and begin anew that you might not have the crashing problems in your new game.

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 62
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/12/2005 10:26:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

The exit crash seems solved in the current patch, hoping that we will have resolved the detailed battle crash as well by the time this is released.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 63
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/14/2005 12:32:59 AM   
HobbesACW

I've not played much since I got the error after hitting the review trade button.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 with latest drivers.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 64
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/14/2005 12:51:36 AM   
Alaric_31

Erik, glad to listen this, can´t wait for start playing detailed battles, aside the error with capability to save in detailed battle the problem
likely will be toned down at most.

with regards,

alaric.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 65
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/14/2005 2:08:59 AM   
Latour_Maubourg

Strange...This Plato/MFC error only happens with me when I'm fighting the Russians. It might also be the size of the forces. Normally against the Russians, both sides have 100.000+ soldiers each. Oh yeah I play it on my notebook. It has an Intel 82852/55 Graphics Controller. Can't play it on my normal compu because the monitor decided to quit after only 5 months (rubbish Iiyama), waiting for a new one.

L-M.

"What have you got to cry about man, you have one less boot to polish in future." L-M's reaction at his distressed valet after his leg was shot off at Leipzig.

(in reply to Alaric_31)
Post #: 66
may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 7:07:23 AM   
ericbabe

So far none of the beta testers has reported a detailed combat CTD in the patch we are testing... keeping fingers crossed. As Erik mentioned, the CTD on exit also seems to be resolved.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding on this and some of the other bugs in COG.

Eric

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 67
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 7:13:03 AM   
jchastain

Hey Eric -
As I included in my reader IGN review, the quality level on this game is at least as good as you get in any modern first release products from the big boys. It's not perfect, but you guys did a great job and we all really appreciate the effort you are putting into the additional refinements you're doing now. Thanks!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 68
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 9:40:58 AM   
goodwoodrw

This Plato thingy is it related mostly to the Russian AI whilst playing in detailed battles? I have had several of these crashes when the french against the russians. it appears almost at the end the battle both sides rout, and the crashes after the return to main screen.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 69
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 12:54:16 PM   
Latour_Maubourg

Yup same here. At the end of the battle, but only when the russians route..... You'd almost think the FSB/KGB is behind it. "Ze great Russians vill not be losers"

By the way. Sometimes you can avoid this error, by pushing the "q" button right after the message comes that the opponent retreats. The pursue by your troops will be done automatically.

L-M.

< Message edited by Latour_Maubourg -- 7/14/2005 2:52:03 PM >

"What have you got to cry about man, you have one less boot to polish in future." L-M's reaction at his distressed valet after his leg was shot off at Leipzig.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 70
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 5:21:14 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Hey Eric -
As I included in my reader IGN review, the quality level on this game is at least as good as you get in any modern first release products from the big boys. It's not perfect, but you guys did a great job and we all really appreciate the effort you are putting into the additional refinements you're doing now. Thanks!

Thanks for that. I really appreciated your IGN review, by the way. And I appreciate all the constructive feedback from you and the other players. We're a pretty small operation and our target audience is a pretty small niche market, and it rather continues to astound me that people would even think to compare COG to mainstream computer games at all.

I'd like to use this engine as the basis for some sequel products, so I have a keen interest in getting COG closer to perfect not only for its own sake but for the sake of the sequels. I've learned a lot from you guys over the last two weeks, especially by way of how my ideal game varies from the sort of game that you all are looking for. Anyway, thanks again for the review and for all your excellent feedback.

Eric

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 71
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 5:24:06 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

This Plato thingy is it related mostly to the Russian AI whilst playing in detailed battles? I have had several of these crashes when the french against the russians. it appears almost at the end the battle both sides rout, and the crashes after the return to main screen.

I think it was a rethreading problem, mostly happening when the screen got so full of stuff that it was reentering the draw-screen thread in the middle of the draw-screen routine, and so on to infinity... or until the routines nested so much they crashed the game. I had rethreading blockers in place but they were in code that got shut off when I changed to the final linker parameters.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 72
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/14/2005 6:44:21 PM   
Latour_Maubourg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

I think it was a rethreading problem, mostly happening when the screen got so full of stuff that it was reentering the draw-screen thread in the middle of the draw-screen routine, and so on to infinity... or until the routines nested so much they crashed the game. I had rethreading blockers in place but they were in code that got shut off when I changed to the final linker parameters.

So if I understand correctly it mainly happens with battles with more 100.000 soldiers on each side? That would explain my Russian thingie, because they are mainly the battles with in total sometimes 300.000+ soldiers.

L-M.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 73
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/15/2005 12:29:25 AM   
Latour_Maubourg

Oh bugger...I just had it in a French/Turkey battle 55.000 versus 82.000 batle...there goes my theorie. Next thought is does it have to do with the amount of units on the battlefield?

anyone?

L-M.

(in reply to Latour_Maubourg)
Post #: 74
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/15/2005 12:51:38 AM   
9thlegere

I gave up playing it I'm afraid (for the moment)so I could not tell if there was a pattern.

I would be happy if they could put a save part in the tactical battles so I can't send in a error if it helps speed up fixing it. I actually like a lot about this game so its a shame this is tripping it up.

What encourages me is the fact the devlopers actually answer you on the message boards and appear to be intrested in the problems and want to fix them.

Post #: 75
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/15/2005 1:03:09 AM   
9thlegere

Latour Maubourg- great choice, I love that line of his at Leipzig!

What about Montbruns at Borodino-"good shot" as he is mortally wounded.

or some of General Lepics at Eylau " heads up by god, those are bullets not turds" . Later when the Russians surrounded him and demanded his surrender "do these faces look like they want to surrender?" and lastly, the one I love most- Napoleon upon seeing Lepic return later exclaims "why General I thought you had been captured" and Lepic says "the only news you will get sire is of my death, never my surrender!"

You see I love all that kind of bravado, I don't think if I got my leg shot off I would say anything except maybe sh**!

Mmm, I think I need to have sometihing like that on my messages.

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 76
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/15/2005 1:03:18 AM   
Latour_Maubourg

quote:

ORIGINAL: 9thlegere

I gave up playing it I'm afraid (for the moment)so I could not tell if there was a pattern.

I would be happy if they could put a save part in the tactical battles so I can't send in a error if it helps speed up fixing it. I actually like a lot about this game so its a shame this is tripping it up.

What encourages me is the fact the devlopers actually answer you on the message boards and appear to be intrested in the problems and want to fix them.

Yeah but it is good to try and locate the problem. If no one says a thing, it will never be solved. So join in and share, so they can fix it....

L-M.

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 77
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/15/2005 1:18:53 AM   
Latour_Maubourg

< Message edited by Latour_Maubourg -- 7/15/2005 9:56:37 AM >

(in reply to 9thlegere)
Post #: 78
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/17/2005 7:58:54 PM   
HobbesACW

Nobody else seems to have had the error after hitting the review trade button so I hope that was just a one off

Look forward to playing again after the patch!

Post #: 79
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/19/2005 5:35:26 AM   
Joram

Grrr, it's really getting to be annoying. I had to give up one campaign because I couldn't get past this bug without letting the AI decimate my army on the quick battle.

Started a new one and anyway, I had 33k as Prussia defending my capital against 83k Spaniards. It's kinda sad but I was kicking their butt left and right but partway through everytime I've played it, it crashes to desktop.

Now, it's not a big battle at all. Maybe the comp is just mad because I know how to use fortresses in my favor? :) I couldn't figure out what's up with this battle though, the enemy isn't near rout yet (in any of the cases I've played), I'm certainly not, it's not too far into the first day? WTH? I don't see a pattern.

Ok, I know that's not much useful information but I'm just getting frustrated with an otherwise fine game....

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 80
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/19/2005 7:04:02 AM   
rich12545

quote:

quote:

Hey Eric -

Thanks for that. I really appreciated your IGN review, by the way. And I appreciate all the constructive feedback from you and the other players. We're a pretty small operation and our target audience is a pretty small niche market, and it rather continues to astound me that people would even think to compare COG to mainstream computer games at all.

I'd like to use this engine as the basis for some sequel products, so I have a keen interest in getting COG closer to perfect not only for its own sake but for the sake of the sequels. I've learned a lot from you guys over the last two weeks, especially by way of how my ideal game varies from the sort of game that you all are looking for. Anyway, thanks again for the review and for all your excellent feedback.

Eric

I'm another one who's waiting for the patch to get back to it. But I have to say this is one of the top games I've seen in 25 years of computer wargaming. It looks like one of those games that will remain long after many others are collecting dust.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 81
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/19/2005 8:28:40 AM   
jchastain

quote:

I've learned a lot from you guys over the last two weeks, especially by way of how my ideal game varies from the sort of game that you all are looking for. Anyway, thanks again for the review and for all your excellent feedback.

No problem on the review. This really is a great game and I hope that others will find and try it.

The statement above is quite provocative though. My curiosity is piqued. I have to ask - in what way is your ideal game different from what we have been asking for?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 82
RE: Fast workaround (maybe) - 7/19/2005 3:54:08 PM   
Eugene

Maybe someone has already found a way to continue a campaign compromised by repeated crashes, but, for those who didn't, I feel it could be usefull to share what seems to work everytime at least in my experience.
I have been playing the game since the first day it came out and I'm quite sure of two things:
- the problem has nothing to do with video cards or drivers (see also previous posts) although it could be made worse by older hardware or software.
- the problem eventually happens no matter which armies are involved in combat and also their size seems not to be a decisive factor even if Russia and big armies appear to have a bigger share of problems.
Now a temporary solution that has been working for me:
When the game crashes dont restart the game from the last savefile you used but choose the most recent previous autosave you can find.Let say you start from "France1" and have a CTD, when you start again the game check which is the most recent autosave (use the tooltip) and load it. As soon as the campaign is loaded save again and give the file any name you want, even "France1". The reason for this last passage is that I want to preserve the autosave, just in case, and prefer to play with its copy. Exit, load the new savefile and play, everything now should be ok.
I had to use this system a few times and the result was always positive, as a consequence I believe that the PLATO problem is due to corrupted savefiles.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 83
RE: Fast workaround (maybe) - 7/19/2005 5:02:07 PM   
jhdeerslayer

I had it happen to me now when changing screens within the Diplomacy Screen as Britains. I got blocky graphics and then the MFC window appeared. I've played for many hours and suddenly it did this. I have an ATI 9600XT

(in reply to Eugene)
Post #: 84
RE: Fast workaround (maybe) - 7/19/2005 9:28:19 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eugene

Maybe someone has already found a way to continue a campaign compromised by repeated crashes, but, for those who didn't, I feel it could be usefull to share what seems to work everytime at least in my experience.
I have been playing the game since the first day it came out and I'm quite sure of two things:
- the problem has nothing to do with video cards or drivers (see also previous posts) although it could be made worse by older hardware or software.
- the problem eventually happens no matter which armies are involved in combat and also their size seems not to be a decisive factor even if Russia and big armies appear to have a bigger share of problems.
Now a temporary solution that has been working for me:
When the game crashes dont restart the game from the last savefile you used but choose the most recent previous autosave you can find.Let say you start from "France1" and have a CTD, when you start again the game check which is the most recent autosave (use the tooltip) and load it. As soon as the campaign is loaded save again and give the file any name you want, even "France1". The reason for this last passage is that I want to preserve the autosave, just in case, and prefer to play with its copy. Exit, load the new savefile and play, everything now should be ok.
I had to use this system a few times and the result was always positive, as a consequence I believe that the PLATO problem is due to corrupted savefiles.

I have reached essentially the same conclusion. When I had a problem, I could reload the last autosave and the problem always reoccured in the ensuing battle. And yet, I could play other games with no problem. I suspect that something is being corrupted in the end of turn logic that is then getting written to a savegame. But once a saved game is bad, it seems to stay bad.

(in reply to Eugene)
Post #: 85
RE: Fast workaround (maybe) - 7/19/2005 10:35:33 PM   
Eugene

The point is not to use the last saved file or autosave you used when the game crashed , but the previous most recent one (there should be maximum ten to chose from). If you keep trying loading the same corrupted file it will always give you CTDs, maybe not at the first battle or the second but for sure at the big one at the end of the turn. Following the system I indicated in my previous post it should also be easy to continue the campaign and at the same time sending the incriminated savefile to the devs for proper examination.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 86
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/20/2005 11:33:03 AM   
kc_chiefs

I get the plato MFC Application error alot. Happens during any phase of the game as well as when quitting.

Took the advice of a friend and closed all programs when playing the game including alot of items in the System Tray. Still crashes.

System is:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 2.00 Ghz
1.00 GB of RAM
Samsung SP1614C 150 GB hard drive
Windows XP Pro 64 Bit Service Pack 1 (this OS is very new)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP (0x4E48) - driver ver. 6.14.10.0278 (MS Windows Hardware Compatibility) (driver was installed by the shop that built the system - its the right driver)
Video BIOS Info: BK-ATI VER008.015.058.000
Samsung SyncMaster 930B 19 inch flat panel

This system really cooks. My shop will install XP 32 if I dont like XP 64.

Game runs fine on my older home-built 866 mhz system (XP 32 Home Edition - Service Pack 2). I had one crash I think.

Havent tried the game on my Toshiba Satelite laptop yet.

Sure hope that a patch comes out that can fix this issue. I hate playing the game on my slow-box.

Bill Peters

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 87
RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error - 7/21/2005 2:51:36 AM   
Barrold

Crud

I just had my first Plato crash during a detailed combat. It occurred in a battle with over 100K on both sides with me being France against Russia and Austria. It was well into the battle so it may very well have been the end of the first day. The enemy was wavering...and then crash to desktop. Oh the swearing!

BDH

None of this is my fault.

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 88
RE: may be solved in patch... - 7/23/2005 12:20:23 AM   
jchastain

quote:

quote:

I've learned a lot from you guys over the last two weeks, especially by way of how my ideal game varies from the sort of game that you all are looking for. Anyway, thanks again for the review and for all your excellent feedback.

No problem on the review. This really is a great game and I hope that others will find and try it.

The statement above is quite provocative though. My curiosity is piqued. I have to ask - in what way is your ideal game different from what we have been asking for?

Never did get an answer on this one and I am still a tad curious. Eric, did you just miss the question or are your own devilish preferences a deep dark secret?

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 89
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> RE: Display Error/Plato MFC error Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI