Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/3/2006 7:31:39 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graf Zeppelin
.. you say you have been waiting 10 years, then whats 1 and a half more then...?

A close Wif gaming buddy was diagnosed with a severe heart issue and doesn't work any longer as result. He sits in his house and plays computer games in most of his spare time. So yes I care about the schedule, but what I attempted to do was see if my comment had any effect on decisions already made. I didn't need a link to explain why decisions had been made the way they had.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graf Zeppelin
Quit whining, the game will not come out sooner becourse of that, pitch in instead. Do some write-ups, and help speed-up the production.

Some of us work 60+ hours a week just like Steve. I strongly doubt write-ups are delaying production of the game. Those who have the spare time are donating. Throwing insults contributes nothing positive, and doesn't even cast the game in a good light. All prospective players of the game should have a chance to comment regardless of the decisions made. Being defensive on behalf of Steve and/or throwing insults is non-productive.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Arron69)
Post #: 271
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/4/2006 6:11:33 PM   
Cheesehead

I've mentioned this before, but since we have some new members I'll throw it out again:

PBEM WiF using Vassal or Cyberboard is a wonderful way to get your WiF fix in while we patiently wait for MWiF to be completed. In the past 18 months I have completed 3 full WiF games with various people around the world. My last game was against a fellow from Italy, and despite our time difference of 7 hours we were able to play the Global Scenario campaign through JA '42 in less then 2 months. It works surprisingly well, especially if you use the ACTS dice roller which not only provides cheat proof dice rolls, but also keeps a record of every roll as a game reference. If you're anxious to start playing, send me an e-mail. I have a growing collection of names that are looking for opponents.

Cheers

John

You can't fight in here...this is the war room!

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 272
RE: When? - 12/4/2006 11:13:20 PM   
wargameplayer

Any updates as to when this might be coming out?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 273
RE: When? - 12/4/2006 11:18:12 PM   
wargameplayer

Any news at all as to when this might be coming out?

Post #: 274
RE: When? - 12/4/2006 11:20:51 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargameplayer
Any news at all as to when this might be coming out?

See post #252.

(in reply to wargameplayer)
Post #: 275
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/4/2006 11:32:14 PM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead

I've mentioned this before, but since we have some new members I'll throw it out again:

PBEM WiF using Vassal or Cyberboard is a wonderful way to get your WiF fix in while we patiently wait for MWiF to be completed. In the past 18 months I have completed 3 full WiF games with various people around the world. My last game was against a fellow from Italy, and despite our time difference of 7 hours we were able to play the Global Scenario campaign through JA '42 in less then 2 months. It works surprisingly well, especially if you use the ACTS dice roller which not only provides cheat proof dice rolls, but also keeps a record of every roll as a game reference. If you're anxious to start playing, send me an e-mail. I have a growing collection of names that are looking for opponents.

Cheers

John

Sounds cool.

But you actually need to have the game set-up at home as well right?

----

Thanks Steve for a deadline.

Anyone who feel like helping out doing write-ups for landunits send me a PM!

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 276
RE: When? - 12/4/2006 11:48:29 PM   
wargameplayer

Wow that is quite an increase in project release.  Given the human life span etc..lol this thing has gone on sorta long.  It sounds like the guy is spending every waking moment on it too. 9 hour days and it's just not going well. 

Maybe another company could pick up the project and get it into shape. It's a shame to see some a great product delay so long in actually seeing daylight.  Lots of the people who are waiting for it to come out tend to be older guys, and may die before ever getting to play at this rate!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 277
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 1:01:39 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Lots of the people who are waiting for it to come out tend to be older guys, and may die before ever getting to play at this rate!

If you are sitting in Valhalla I don't this would be a real concern...

Flipper

Post #: 278
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 1:49:43 AM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

Wow that is quite an increase in project release. Given the human life span etc..lol this thing has gone on sorta long. It sounds like the guy is spending every waking moment on it too. 9 hour days and it's just not going well.

Maybe another company could pick up the project and get it into shape. It's a shame to see some a great product delay so long in actually seeing daylight. Lots of the people who are waiting for it to come out tend to be older guys, and may die before ever getting to play at this rate!

There are plenty of ways to contribute so that the game get´s out earlier. Right now the AI-threads are open for discussion and I am sure Steve would love to have your input. Be constructive and help out instead of just sitting at the sidelines with sneering remarks.

Post #: 279
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 2:03:58 AM   
macgregor

The game was hijacked by the AI/PBEM people long before Steve got involved. What kills me is the drastic change(by omission) of gameplay PBEM would involve. You may as well be playing TOAW. Which BTW was also taken over by Matrix where it has uncannily been taken over by the 'small scenario' people. Fat chance getting a WiF-like scenario out of that now.So far, it's Matrix: my 40 bucks, me: none of my desired improvement for TOAW and this seemingly endless and unnecessary delay for WiF. To borrow from a skit by Garrett Morriss: 'Matrix have been very very bad to me.' Matrix is in my doghouse. The apparent reply so far from Matrix has been unfit to post. Steve has been doing a great job and I have complete confidence in his ability and integrity. It's his mission I'm not happy with. It's not that the AI is a bad idea, but like with TOAW, I'm being forced to wait a long time and eventually pay for precisly the kinds of things I don't need in order to get what is not so difficult to achieve much sooner(like already). I'd have to say that right now, I don't like Matrix games though I'm open for dialogue. If someone wants to take a shot at me, go ahead.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 280
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 2:17:30 AM   
jesperpehrson

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

The game was hijacked by the AI/PBEM people long before Steve got involved. What kills me is the drastic change(by omission) of gameplay PBEM would involve. You may as well be playing TOAW. Which BTW was also taken over by Matrix where it has uncannily been taken over by the 'small scenario' people. Fat chance getting a WiF-like scenario out of that now.So far, it's Matrix: my 40 bucks, me: none of my desired improvement for TOAW and this seemingly endless and unnecessary delay for WiF. To borrow from a skit by Garrett Morriss: 'Matrix have been very very bad to me.' Matrix is in my doghouse. The apparent reply so far from Matrix has been unfit to post. Steve has been doing a great job and I have complete confidence in his ability and integrity. It's his mission I'm not happy with. It's not that the AI is a bad idea, but like with TOAW, I'm being forced to wait a long time and eventually pay for precisly the kinds of things I don't need in order to get what is not so difficult to achieve much sooner(like already). I'd have to say that right now, I don't like Matrix games though I'm open for dialogue. If someone wants to take a shot at me, go ahead.

*loads his BB-gun*

See, what I do not understand, is that if one guy decides to do something about something, and even invites people to take part in the process, with some things sometimes going the way of some people and sometimes not, that guy cannot decide in the end what he does with that something? It has been decided to have AI and that is the end of it so to speak. Now either you help out constructivly (and many are doing that) or you don´t. One of those paths help the game come out faster, the other causes aggravation and pointless debates since it has in fact been settled. It is a dead horse. Stop beating it.

Now I am going to finish my thesis instead of getting riled up about a forum. Good night.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 281
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 2:32:04 AM   
macgregor

PBEM like I said will change the game into something that will be at any rate, less than WiF. If you want PBEM then you don't really desire to play WiF. You want basically...what you want. So on top of waiting an extra year and a half, provided they stick to that date(and they 'ain't never done that yet'-Big Joe, Kelly's Heroes) I'll be waiting, not for WiF, but for what YOU GUYS WANT! I just hope you're all very happy.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 12/5/2006 2:42:56 AM >

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 282
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 3:11:56 AM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

I agree wholeheartedly with macgregor and capitan

I just hope no one is low enough to post under multiple handles to make it look like they are a mob instead of one or two malcontents.

Remember this:

The reason so many are unhappy is partly because we have been granted input into the design process.  Please don't make it so unpleasant of an exercise that future developers keep their plans under wraps until it is virtually gold.

Look at the new Sid Meier game "Railroads!".  It is a good game --- sort of.  It has the chance to be a great game -- Railroad Tycoon with a twist.  However, since they are unwilling to run their own forum (Can anyone guess why?) it did not get any broad spectrum input from future customers and has some serious flaws that may never be fixed.

I think Steve's willingness to 'open up' the development process is a wonderful trend in computer game development.  It has the potential to make for better games if it becomes the industry standard.  Please don't hamstring that possibility by continuing to berate the developers when they have made it clear that an issue (not just this one) is off of the table.

The truly sad thing is that in 2 or 3 months, we will be having this discussion again.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 283
RE: When? - 12/5/2006 4:24:29 AM   
lomyrin

For everyone that is holding their breath awaiting the MWiF release one could suggest the interim solution of purchasing the now again available CWiF from ADG.

CWIF essentially does work as a WiFgame although there are a few bug workarounds necessary and of course the graphics are rudimentary and nowhere near the MWiF standards.

Lars 

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 284
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/5/2006 7:45:11 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

Cheers

John

I looked at the Vassal Mod and was amazed. The only thing I couldn't figure out was multi-player. This just might be doable, and get the Wif fix on a more frequent basis than I hoped. Mind PM'ing your MSN? Tips would be appreciated as well.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 285
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/5/2006 8:03:03 PM   
Cheesehead

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

John

I looked at the Vassal Mod and was amazed. The only thing I couldn't figure out was multi-player. This just might be doable, and get the Wif fix on a more frequent basis than I hoped. Mind PM'ing your MSN? Tips would be appreciated as well.

To answer your earlier question: You don't need to have the game set up. It's all on your computer (Thanks to Ken Griffiths)...maps, counters, charts, everything you need to play. You still need to move the units (click and drag) and follow the rules. Obviously there is no AI. Some of the non-active player interactions can be handled by standing orders that you agree to.

I wouldn't attempt to play more than a two-player game by e-mail. If you can find an opponent with a similar schedule, similar time zone, etc. it is easy enough to communicate the various interactions by phone, instant messenger or e-mail in a timely fashion to play quicker than most local games can play. Adding more people would probably slow it down too much. In the time I've played two local games this past past year, I have played 3 full PBEM games (Global scenario) and numerous shorter games (because of early surrenders.)

WiF PBEM with Vassal isn't perfect. I know WiF was meant to be played by 4 or 5 people which just isn't practical PBEM, but it is still playing WiF...with an opponent. And when you consider all the people I've heard on this forum and the WiF list who are still playing solitaire because they don't live near any other opponents, I am baffled why more people don't give it a shot.

I'd be happy to share more of my experiences and information as far as opponents via e-mail. drop me a line at: applehammond@sbcglobal.net

Cheers

John

< Message edited by Cheesehead -- 12/5/2006 8:12:13 PM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 286
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/11/2006 9:19:57 AM   
cpbsmw

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers
John

To answer your earlier question: You don't need to have the game set up. It's all on your computer (Thanks to Ken Griffiths)...maps, counters, charts, everything you need to play. You still need to move the units (click and drag) and follow the rules. Obviously there is no AI. Some of the non-active player interactions can be handled by standing orders that you agree to.

I wouldn't attempt to play more than a two-player game by e-mail. If you can find an opponent with a similar schedule, similar time zone, etc. it is easy enough to communicate the various interactions by phone, instant messenger or e-mail in a timely fashion to play quicker than most local games can play. Adding more people would probably slow it down too much. In the time I've played two local games this past past year, I have played 3 full PBEM games (Global scenario) and numerous shorter games (because of early surrenders.)

WiF PBEM with Vassal isn't perfect. I know WiF was meant to be played by 4 or 5 people which just isn't practical PBEM, but it is still playing WiF...with an opponent. And when you consider all the people I've heard on this forum and the WiF list who are still playing solitaire because they don't live near any other opponents, I am baffled why more people don't give it a shot.

I'd be happy to share more of my experiences and information as far as opponents via e-mail. drop me a line at: applehammond@sbcglobal.net

Cheers

John

All,

I have tried to use the VASSAL WIF. However i dont seem to have all the maps when i load the game. Mine doesnt have the european or asian maps. just the smaller maps. I am sure that i have loaded the newest version of the game, but still do not see these maps. Any help?

Chris

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 287
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/11/2006 11:12:00 AM   
c92nichj

quote:

I have played a fair number of games with four player I use cyberboard instead of Vassal which I prefer. And I think four player is the optimal combination, however with a different split of countries we Usually play with EuroAxis(Germany Italy), Japan, Wallies(France, CW, US) and USSR-China, which includes both commies and nationalists. In PBEM it quickens the pace and less coordination needs to be done.

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 288
RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks - 12/11/2006 5:40:25 PM   
Cheesehead

quote:

I have tried to use the VASSAL WIF. However i dont seem to have all the maps when i load the game. Mine doesnt have the european or asian maps. just the smaller maps. I am sure that i have loaded the newest version of the game, but still do not see these maps. Any help?

Contact me off-line and I'll try and help. I don't want to do this on the forum as it is off-topic for most people.

John
applehammond@sbcglobal.net

< Message edited by Cheesehead -- 12/11/2006 5:50:25 PM >

(in reply to cpbsmw)
Post #: 289
RE: When? - 12/29/2006 9:20:19 AM   
ravinhood

** But to answer the question directly, we have MWIF scheduled for release as a download in the spring of 2006. **

Heh, didn't make that deadline didyah? ;) And this quote taken from a July 2005 post. hehe And now we move into 2007 and still no WIF.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 290
RE: When? - 12/29/2006 10:05:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

** But to answer the question directly, we have MWIF scheduled for release as a download in the spring of 2006. **

Heh, didn't make that deadline didyah? ;) And this quote taken from a July 2005 post. hehe And now we move into 2007 and still no WIF.

Wow! You figured that out already? Who would have guessed? ;) hehe

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 291
RE: When? - 12/29/2006 10:11:12 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Wow! You figured that out already? Who would have guessed? ;) hehe

Heh, well I was making funny. I applaud you for at least giving some sort of hopeful date and really how much does it pain you when someone ribs you that you didn't meet deadlines? :)

But now to a more SERIOUS matters....THIS:

Here is part of the dialogue I wrote for Mrs. Claus on why she has to go to Nome (apologies to John Masefield):

I must down to the stores again, for the mall of the discount sale,
Is a wild mall, with a clear call, I resist, to no avail.

I must down to the stores again, to the lovely shoes, some beaded,
And all I ask is a credit card whose limit’s not exceeded.
And the high heeled pumps, and the satin gowns, and the rooms made just for dressing,
And a string of pearls, so very long, against my skin caressing.

Please stick to programming and I do hope your programming is 10x better no wait 100x better than your poetry. (if that was your poetry btw, surely you didn't copy that from someone else? haha) ;)~

Post #: 292
RE: When? - 12/29/2006 9:43:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

But now to a more SERIOUS matters....THIS:

Here is part of the dialogue I wrote for Mrs. Claus on why she has to go to Nome (apologies to John Masefield):

I must down to the stores again, for the mall of the discount sale,
Is a wild mall, with a clear call, I resist, to no avail.

I must down to the stores again, to the lovely shoes, some beaded,
And all I ask is a credit card whose limit’s not exceeded.
And the high heeled pumps, and the satin gowns, and the rooms made just for dressing,
And a string of pearls, so very long, against my skin caressing.

Please stick to programming and I do hope your programming is 10x better no wait 100x better than your poetry. (if that was your poetry btw, surely you didn't copy that from someone else? haha) ;)~

This is a parody of some lines in a poem (Sea Fever) by John Masefield (English Poet Laureate). As a parody, it has limitations on what can be changed. Too much and the similarity is lost. Most if not all the humor is lost if the reader is not familiar with the original poem.

Steve

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 293
RE: When? - 12/30/2006 12:39:09 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I had been thinking about this, so I wrote it up today - a little early.
========================
January 1, 2007 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

I decided to do a year in review rather than a monthly report for January 1st.

Accomplishments of 2006

Map
At the start of 2006 I had just received the first drafts of the bitmaps for the European map coastal hexes and river/lake hexsides. I was also working with drafts of the terrain bitmaps for individual hexes. No other work had been done on the graphics for the map. In 2006, we made the following enhancements to the map graphics:
∙ Terrain bitmaps finalized for individual hexes (which accommodate players who see colors differently).
∙ 80% (4000 out of 5000) of the coastal and river/lake bitmaps are finished. All that remains are 5 segments: southern Canada, the USA, Central America, and South America (2 segments). Drafts of the coast lines have been created for the remaining segments.
∙ Special bitmaps for the Qattara Depression added.
∙ Icons added for cities, ports, factories, and resources (required several iterations).
∙ Colors for rivers and lakes finalized (required several iterations).
∙ Straits hexsides bitmaps finalized.
∙ Arrows for land attacks bitmaps finalized.
∙ Alpine hexsides added (required several iterations).
∙ Fort hexsides added which are colored differently depending on ownership and whether they existed before or after September 1939 (required several iterations).
∙ Colors for country, sea area, and weather zone boundaries finalized (required several iterations).
∙ Colors, sizes, and outlines for map labels finalized.
∙ Weather overlays finalized (required many iterations).
∙ Rail lines and roads modified so they automatically curve along coast lines and from hex to hex.
∙ Sea boxes added for each side (Axis and Allied) for each sea area.

The underlying data for the map received a lot of work as well, with Patrice Forno heading up the effort to improve its accuracy, information, and aesthetics. There were dozens of other forum members who contributed to this effort and the work is still on-going.

In particular, Scandinavia and China were examined in excruciating detail, resulting in massive changes that took advantage of the additional refinements possible due to the new scale. All the rest of the world map also benefitted from improvements, often provided by forum members who were personally familiar with an area’s terrain. The USSR east of the Urals and the islands in the South Pacific underwent serious review and revisions as well. Japan is currently going through this process and the Americas are likely to be reviewed again once their coastal and river/lake bitmaps are finished.

Patrice more than doubled the number of labels on the map, positioned icons within each hex, and routed the rail lines to keep them dry. I especially appreciate the job he did (is doing) as primary critic for the accuracy of the coastal and river/lake bitmaps.

The programming in 2006 to support the improvements to the map included:
∙ Utility program to fragment large bitmaps into coastal and river/lake bitmaps for individual hexes.
∙ Logic for replacing old CWIF style graphics with coastal and river/lake bitmaps, if and only if those bitmaps are available.
∙ Enabling the addition of fragments of river/lake bitmaps that extend into hexes with no river/lake hexsides. This gives the lakes a ‘completed’ look.
∙ Enabling the positioning of icons at any of 25 positions within a hex rather than in fixed locations (e.g., previously the city icons were always in the center of the hex).
∙ Automation of the routing of rail lines and roads to make them curve around obstacles and transition smoothly from hex to hex.
∙ Depiction of fort hexes that indicate owner and time of creation.
∙ Depiction of linked alpine hexsides: elbows, u-turns, and y-joins.
∙ Depiction of weather bitmap overlays.
∙ Revisions to weather zones boundaries that overlap with sea areas and countries.
∙ Changes to map label depictions that depend on label size and zoom level.

Units
At the start of 2006 I had 4 prototypes of individual unit bitmaps (3 air and 1 naval). During the first half of the year we finalized over 2200 bitmaps for individual units. Besides the bitmaps for air and named naval units, there were also generic bitmaps created by country for anonymous naval units: convoys, submarines, task forces, amphibious units, naval transports, etcetera. The placement of numbers and text on the air and naval units required extensive tinkering to maximize the space available for the bitmap image, while simultaneously displaying all the necessary information clearly. Besides doing this for all the 60+ unit types it was also checked at all the different levels of zoom.

Land units received almost as much attention as air and naval units, with detailed work on country colors, rendering of ‘NATO’ symbols and the addition of names finalized during the year. Once the high resolution bitmap graphics were done for the air and naval units, medium resolution bitmap images were added, with the player given the ability to switch back and forth between high and medium resolution. The advantage of medium resolution is that the numbers are larger and can be read even at low zoom levels. Still to be added are low resolution bitmap images for all unit types.

The unit data was augmented by the addition of the units from Cruisers in Flames and Convoys in Flames. All of the unit data was reviewed for accuracy (again), and the units renumbered so the air unit numbers are 1 - 2000, the land 2001 - 4000, the naval 4001 - 6000, and special units 6001 - 8000. Data on less than a dozen units (the Warlords) remain to be added.

During 2006 text descriptions for individual air units were finished and for most of the naval units as well. 20% of the land units were provided with writeups, including several paragraphs for each of the HQ units. Work on generating writeups for the rest of the named units continues with more than a dozen forum members contributing. I would like to thank all these volunteers for their fine contributions, with especial thanks to Grayshaft (air and HQ units), Terje (naval units) and Capitan (land units) for coordinating this work.

The programming in 2006 to support the improvements to the units included:
∙ Utility programs to: (1) split rows of unit bitmaps into individual unit bitmaps, and (2) reposition the graphic image of an air or naval unit within the frame of the bitmap.
∙ Loading and displaying high and medium resolution bitmaps for air and naval units, with special code for handling generic naval units.
∙ Transitioning between high and medium resolution.
∙ Parameterization of offsets for land units to support displaying them at different zoom levels, particularly as lists of units on forms.
∙ Depiction of new unit types from Cruisers in Flames and Convoys in Flames.
∙ Loading and displaying text descriptions for all unit types. As part of this a simple parsing language was created for paragraphing the writeups.

CWIF Conversion
There were continuous modifications to CWIF code throughout the year. In addition to the changes mentioned above for the map and units, these are the other big changes during 2006:
∙ The start of program now has an opening screen with choices to start a new game, restore a saved game, or run through a tutorial. Previously the program started with a blank main form.
∙ Starting a new game has a single unified screen that presents the tasks of selecting mode of play, scenario, optional rules, and identifying the players and which major powers they will play. Previously these tasks had been spread out over 5 different forms and the player unable to go back and make changes once a form had been completed.
∙ The overall design of the player interface is no longer restricted to the main form. Instead, separate forms can be positioned anywhere on the Windows screen. Because of this, the global map, units under cursor panel, and other reference forms can be arranged on the Windows screen howsoever the player desires, rather than being restricted to the frame of the main form/application.
∙ Each Custom WIF component was drastically revised, which means it was separated into: (1) simple graphic depiction on the screen, and (2) the associated routines for processing player interactions with the graphics. This work was essential to support the new Delphi 2006 compiler, Theme Engine, and other commercially available software packages/libraries.
∙ The theme for the player interface was upgraded from circa Windows 98 graphics to a Theme Engine design with different color schemes for each of the 8 major powers. All the components were replaced with “new and improved” versions.
∙ Work was begun on redesigning the game engine.

Game Interface
As just mentioned above, the player interface changed dramatically during 2006. Specifically, the Start New Game form received a ton of work with innumerable revisions. From the overall layout of the form, through the colors and bitmaps for each sections, down to individual help paragraphs for each of the 80 optional rules, virtually none of this form as it existed at the start of year was the same by the end of the year.

The Scrap form, Setup tray, Units Under Cursor panel, and the Units Review form were comparably hammered. These were reviewed and revised multiple times, often in response to feedback from the beta testers. Altogether there are 105 forms used in MWIF and 100 of them were completely converted to the new Theme Engine design. The last 5 have about 10 components that remain to be converted.

New functionality added to the player interface during 2006 were the map views and screen layouts. Map views enable the player to ‘bookmark’ views of the detailed map and jump from one to another with a single click of the mouse. In combination with the different color schemes for each major power, the screen layouts enable the player to have the entire program look change depending on which major power is “on move” and/or for the task currently being performed. For example, this lets the player have different map views and forms visible during strategic bombing versus land or naval movement.

Saved Games
Completely new code was written and tested during 2006 for saving and restoring games. One major difference from CWIF is the use of a comma separated values file (CSV) for the saved game so that the information therein can be examined for accuracy during development and debugging.

Internet - NetPlay
Dan Hatchen designed and coded NetPlay for use in MWIF games over the Internet. I was unable to stabilize the main program code sufficiently during 2006 to integrate his NetPlay code into MWIF. Despite completing preliminary work on modifying the existing code to accommodate NetPlay, there was never a point in time when I could work on the integration task exclusively.

MWIF Game Engine
A massive amount of code (23,000+ lines) was written to support the creation of the game record log. Much of this code serves a dual purpose, and will be used to send messages to all the players: local, Internet, PBEM, AI Opponent, and AI Assistant. What remains to be done here is: (1) to place the calls to actually “write to the game record log” within the program at the appropriate locations, (2) to use the information in the game record log to change the game state (e.g., replay the game), and (3) design and code a player interface for replaying a game. About 5% of #1 has been done.

In December I began work on implementing the new design for the game engine. This is based on the diagram I finalized in November for the program ‘flow’. In preparation for the redesign, I finally printed out a complete set of listings - 210,000 lines of code, with individual tabs for each of the 250 modules. Once completed, the full set of listings filled 15 binders and used 6.5 reams of paper.

Beta Testing
The first group of beta testers started work in February using version 1.00. A major upgrade to 2.00 was given to them in the late spring and a second major upgrade to 3.00 in October. For version 3.00 we added 5 new beta testers to return the headcount to 20. I had wanted to provide version 4.00 by the end of the year but it now looks like it will have to wait for the completion of the game engine redesign code.

During 2006, the beta testers discovered hundreds of bugs, but I was only able to correct about half of them. Hopefully, the game engine redesign will enable me to solve the remaining problems, and new problems, in about 1/100th of the time it took me previously.

One new feature added to 3.00 was a bug reporting system which the beta testers can use to either automatically email me when bugs occur or use it generate a text message to be email ‘manually’.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Not a whole lot was done on the AI Opponent (AIO) during 2006. With the assistance of some forum members I was able to flesh out strategic plans for all the major powers, with a very fine level of detail achieved for France and Italy. Other work takes precedence over the AIO tasks, though I try to give it some attention every month.

Help System and Tutorials
I designed and coded a system for displaying context sensitive help and was able to test this on the Start New Game form. For each of the 80 optional rules, the player can right click to bring up a full discussion of the optional rule. With the help of the forum members the text for each of the optional rules was critiqued for accuracy and clarity. Much of this effort was excellent training for the larger task of documenting the Rules As Coded (RAC).

Besides writing a conceptual design for each of the 19 tutorials, 6 of the tutorials were completed, though in many cases they used draft screen shots. The code to support the 10 Introductory tutorials is completed but the code for the 9 Interactive tutorials has yet to be designed.

Player’s Manual
A draft table of contents for the Player’s Manual was completed. There are a dozen or so separate documents in existence that eventually will be incorporated into the Player’s Manual.

Project Management
I did my first detailed project plan in October and have more or less stayed on track against that to date. My estimation of my time required to complete MWIF product 1 is over 3000 hours. This works out to me completing my tasks in December 2007. David Heath translates that to a release at Origins in July 2008.

At this point I am the bottleneck in the project schedule, but there doesn’t seem to be much more I can do about that. I calculate I have spent over 5000 hours on MWIF since I started in July 2005. I use 9 productive hours a day as my metric for scheduling tasks, with no days off. By productive, I mean after the 10 -15% for management has been accounted for. In reality I worked 10-12 hours a day on MWIF during 2006.

Communications
I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily, generated weekly status reports for David Heath and Erik Rutkins at Matrix, and posted monthly status reports to the forum on or around the first of every month. Personally, I try to answer every question posted in the forums, sent to me as a personal message, or sent via email. I do read everything, and I endeavor to assimilate and accommodate the different viewpoints and opinions into MWIF.

People with whom I had extensive communication during the year were: Patrice Forno and Rob Armstrong. At different times of the year I worked closely with Graham Dodge, Dan Hatchen, Terje, Nils Andresen, and Claes Insulander. I kept in touch with Chris Marinacci and
Harry Rowland, periodically bringing them up to date on the project. All of the beta testers communicated bugs reports, at a minimum, and oftentimes more than that.

Because this is an almost completely volunteer group, people come and go as other demands are placed on their time. I can not say enough about how appreciative I am for the wonderful contributions made to MWIF by so many from such diverse backgrounds. For each little item in the game I have associations with people who suggested improvements that made the game better, or provided data/code that lessened the amount of work I had to do.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF during 2006.

Tasks for 2007

Finish MWIF product 1.

Steve

Post #: 294
RE: When? - 12/30/2006 4:18:17 AM   
Greyshaft

When you put it all on one page it is an impressive amount of work...

/Greyshaft

Post #: 295
RE: When? - 12/30/2006 10:58:24 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

When you put it all on one page it is an impressive amount of work...

Thanks. The image I have is of using a small plastic white spoon and trying to move a very large mountain one spoonful at a time. My wife thinks it is a good visual so she brought me home one of those spoons from her company's lunchroom and now I keep it on my desk. Shovel, shovel, shovel, ...

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/30/2006 11:08:33 AM >

Steve

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 296
RE: When? - 1/2/2007 8:18:37 PM   
Cheesehead

Intersting analogy. Not to compel you to give an ETA or anything, just for a general idea...is there more mountain on the finished side of the ledger or on the "still to be moved" side?

Thanks for all the hard work, Steve.

John

Post #: 297
RE: When? - 1/2/2007 9:55:06 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Intersting analogy. Not to compel you to give an ETA or anything, just for a general idea...is there more mountain on the finished side of the ledger or on the "still to be moved" side?

Thanks for all the hard work, Steve.

John

Roughly, 5000 hours done, 3000 remaining.

Steve

(in reply to Cheesehead)
Post #: 298
RE: When? - 1/4/2007 11:17:13 PM   
rook749

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Roughly, 5000 hours done, 3000 remaining.

That's not to many hours left then

Rook

Post #: 299
RE: When? - 1/5/2007 5:12:49 AM   
Jeff Gilbert

I do like the "Year in Review" for 2006. Great perspective on what has been done and what is still to come.

Thanks for the update.

Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA

(in reply to rook749)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Old WIF Player Saying Hello and Thanks Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI