Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Conundrum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategic Conundrum Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 5:01:21 PM   
spmlawyer

I used to play many wargames in the '90's and gave it up. Now I'm ready to return and am interested in War in the Pacific and Steet Panthers World at War. I enjoy the battle aspects of SPI-III but I also enjoy planning and the more strategic thinking that come with ames like, say, Railroad Tycoon. Historically I prefer the Pac campaign of WWII. I'd buy them both but I don;t want to plunk down the cost of both. My question to those who have played both, do both give tacticl level satisfaction (e.g., surprise attack, real-time bombardment, destroyed units, etc.) and strategic planning (e..g, resource planning, political concerns, supply issues, new units, etc.) Thanks. I'm excited about my return.
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 5:17:05 PM   
DoubleDeuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: spmlawyer

I used to play many wargames in the '90's and gave it up. Now I'm ready to return and am interested in War in the Pacific and Steet Panthers World at War. I enjoy the battle aspects of SPI-III but I also enjoy planning and the more strategic thinking that come with ames like, say, Railroad Tycoon. Historically I prefer the Pac campaign of WWII. I'd buy them both but I don;t want to plunk down the cost of both.

Steel Panthers World at War you can get for FREE if you download it (or get someone to burn a CD for you and send it. The "cost" associated with it you might be seeing is related to purchasing the "General's Edition" which includes the Mega Campaigns BUT the basic game is Free.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 5:17:07 PM   
Terminus

You can't really compare the two games.

SPWaW is the fourth generation of the SP series, and as you're an SP veteran, you'll be able to jump right into it. It does have the new Mega Campaigns, all 4 of which you'll get if you buy the game. Mega Campaigns are huge, multi-layer campaigns, where you'll control your units through either the battle of Guadalcanal, the Afrika korps campaign, the first year of the war in the East, or the 101st Airborne Divisions march from D-Day to VE-Day. They also come with massive amounts of historical data on the battles and the units who fought in them. As Double Deuce said, the basic game (without the Mega Campaigns) is free, but then there's the issue of whether you have enough bandwith to download it. I downloaded it myself, but not everyone has a cable connection.

As for War in the Pacific, it is an absolute monster of a game, simulating the entire Pacific War from December 7th to VJ-Day in one-day turns. Supplies, industry, resources, production, new units, repairs, upgrades, the Bomb... it basically has everything, but as I said, it is a HUGE game, and not for the faint of heart.

I have both games, and enjoy playing both, because together they cover the entire spectrum of command, from the smallest to the largest of scale. The choice of which to buy, if you only want one, must be dictated by what scale you most want to play at.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/28/2005 5:19:37 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 5:37:17 PM   
spmlawyer

Thanks Double Deuce/Terminus:

I actually tried to download SPWaW but when I intsalled it I got a prompt to insert disk#1. I'll probably buy SP first but War in the Pacific goes on my gift list. Appreciate the quick response.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 10:50:07 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

I got a prompt to insert disk#1.

The means for some reason the entire file did not donwload or was corupted.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 7/28/2005 10:51:08 PM >

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 7/28/2005 10:54:41 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, give it another go. I seem to remember that there's more than one server to try to download it from.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 8/5/2005 2:11:40 PM   
Greyshaft

You gave it up ?

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic Conundrum - 8/5/2005 4:59:40 PM   
spmlawyer

No. I tried it again and it worked so I've been playing since. I found the Tulagi campaign near impossible (actually impossible) until I turned the difficulty settings. Thanks for asking, Greyshaft.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategic Conundrum Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote