Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 8:36:56 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

quote:

I would like to do something more forceful to indicate the current subphase, but there doesn't seem to be component that has the features that I want. I am loathe to spend time developing a custom made component just for this.

Mayby just another color would do it?

Problem with the color of text is that each Major Power have a different background color for his forms (i.e. blue for the CW, grey for Germany, Red for Japan...), and black font is what works the best for all.

(in reply to bredsjomagnus)
Post #: 1441
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 8:38:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

2nd in series. Here is what the player typically sees first. The current subphase is Select Combat, which has an asterisk and has a 'raised' presence in the strip of subphases. I would like to do something more forceful to indicate the current subphase, but there doesn't seem to be component that has the features that I want. I am loathe to spend time developing a custom made component just for this.

Maybe use bold font, or another color, to do something more forceful to indicate the current subphase.

Yes, as Froonp said, I think the asterisk is not visible enough.
For me, the best choice would be a color change, but I know that choosing a second color for each major power can be tricky.
Bold is a second choice, but better than the asterisk.

The color and fonts are for the entire row - all entries/subphases. I looked at several alternative components but they all have the same constraint: a single font for all entries. I simply have more important things to spend time on than trying to perfect this.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/14/2008 8:39:27 AM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 1442
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 8:39:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

Where would the die roll be shown when that option is turned on ?

Lars

The Results box is large so I can display a lot of stuff there. For instance, the die rolls.

Steve

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 1443
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 8:45:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

My main purpose in posting all these screens is to let you know what I have decided about who decides which units take losses. RAW says that the 'owner' decides, but leaves open the question of which player on a side decides when multiple major powers have units that mght take losses. There is a line in the rules about randomly choosing units if the major powers can agree. I didn't want to do that, since it adds a lot of complexity to something that should occur rarely.

How do you know who chooses, I mean, from the screenshots here, do you know just by the color of the Form and the little flag in the title bar ?
Maybe a line of text sur as "[Country] choose wich unit to suffer the combat losses", where [Country] is the name of the Major Power ?

quote:

Instead I have decided to designate one player for each side as the decision maker based on the units involved in the combat. Priority goes to:
(1) the player with the most valuable land units in the combat (i.e., build points), or in case of tie,
(2) the player with the most land units in the combat, or in case of tie,
(3) the player with the most valuable units in the combat (this includes land and naval units for the defender), or in case of tie,
(4) the player with the most combat factors in the combat (attack factors for attacker and defense factors for the defender - neither are modified whatsoever).

If things are still tied, then the order is: mcGermany, mcItaly, mcJapan, mcVichyFrance, mcChina, mcCommonwealth, mcFrance, mcUnitedStates, mcUSSR

It looks good to me.
For (1), do you sum up the BP value of all the units in the combat ?

Also, for the final tie, why choose an alphabetical sorting ?

Why not :
mcGermany, mcItaly, mcJapan, mcVichyFrance, mcUnitedStates, mcUSSR, mcCommonwealth, mcChina, mcFrance

Or, for the final tie, put the countries in the same order as their previous turn total Built Points produced ? So this gets the most "powerful" country get the choice.

If you are not the decision maker, the prompt at the top (under the subphases bar) will state who is making the decision. If you are the decision maker, the program will change your current major power (if necessary) to the one that makes the decision.

All the prompts work the same way here. If it is up to you to decide, then you simply see an imperative prompt (e.g., Choose ...). All the other players will see: "Commonwealth is choosing the combat results table", or some such message.
====
I could change the default order, but does it really matter? If 4 different tie breaks fail, let's just let someone involved in the combat decide.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1444
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 9:11:31 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or, for the final tie, put the countries in the same order as their previous turn total Built Points produced ? So this gets the most "powerful" country get the choice.

If you are not the decision maker, the prompt at the top (under the subphases bar) will state who is making the decision. If you are the decision maker, the program will change your current major power (if necessary) to the one that makes the decision.

I could change the default order, but does it really matter? If 4 different tie breaks fail, let's just let someone involved in the combat decide.

I it did not matter, it would not be there, so if it matters a tiny bit, let's have it the best way, no ?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1445
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 12:42:31 PM   
bredsjomagnus

quote:

Problem with the color of text is that each Major Power have a different background color for his forms (i.e. blue for the CW, grey for Germany, Red for Japan...), and black font is what works the best for all.

You can use the same background color to every nation. Yellow or orange for example. You name it.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1446
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 12:46:00 PM   
bredsjomagnus

Ok im trying again (to upload my example)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1447
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 12:49:12 PM   
bredsjomagnus

Here is same color but with CW

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1448
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 1:37:38 PM   
bredsjomagnus

And while im at it, i think the buttons could look nicer too... I know that it is just details but i think it enhances the game experience when the interface is nice looking.

I´ve tried to alter the "View Charts" button on this image.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1449
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 2:04:27 PM   
Anendrue

I like the light orange color so far. Does this look just as good on the other background colors? If so, it is a clear winner to identify the current subphase.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 1450
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 5:33:04 PM   
alsopxx33

Could you use ALL CAPS?

Post #: 1451
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 6:16:47 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: alsopxx33

Could you use ALL CAPS?

Yes, that is a good idea. Thanks.
=============
If I could easily change the color of the 'selected' subphase, I would. But the component dosen't allow that. Likewise changing the button graphics requires substantially more work.

At a primitive graphics level, everything is possible. But I do not want to develop special components unless there is a crucial need. For instance, the map and units are done at primitive graphics level, and the code to accomplish that is enormous.

I have a half dozen libraries of components that I am using, but I haven't found a component that does what I want: horizontal list with selectable items, such that selected items have different background colors and fonts. I spent several hours looking for that (all these components are undocumented so it is trial and error, with small hints provided by the component names). I don't have the time to chase after this any more.

Steve

(in reply to alsopxx33)
Post #: 1452
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2008 10:04:56 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: alsopxx33

Could you use ALL CAPS?

Yes, that is a good idea. Thanks.
=============
If I could easily change the color of the 'selected' subphase, I would. But the component dosen't allow that. Likewise changing the button graphics requires substantially more work.

At a primitive graphics level, everything is possible. But I do not want to develop special components unless there is a crucial need. For instance, the map and units are done at primitive graphics level, and the code to accomplish that is enormous.

I have a half dozen libraries of components that I am using, but I haven't found a component that does what I want: horizontal list with selectable items, such that selected items have different background colors and fonts. I spent several hours looking for that (all these components are undocumented so it is trial and error, with small hints provided by the component names). I don't have the time to chase after this any more.

Well since we have the color limitation CAPS is a fair soulution and easy to implement. Perhaps CAPS, Bold and slightly larger size or even a different font.

Post #: 1453
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/15/2008 9:48:42 AM   
bredsjomagnus

quote:

Ok, if thats the case ... Im no programmer so what looks easy for me can of course be the opposite when it comes to codeing.

Its only grafical details anyway.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 1454
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/15/2008 10:27:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Ok, if thats the case ... Im no programmer so what looks easy for me can of course be the opposite when it comes to codeing.

Its only grafical details anyway.

The way software tools work is a lot like so many other things for sale. If you are happy with what is on the shelf, there are thousands of similar ones to choose from. But if you want something slightly different, well, then none has been created, much less made available for you to purchase.

Steve

Post #: 1455
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/16/2008 11:18:02 AM   
Orm

quote:

And while im at it, i think the buttons could look nicer too... I know that it is just details but i think it enhances the game experience when the interface is nice looking.

I´ve tried to alter the "View Charts" button on this image.

I think the land combat sequence looks very nice in this version. I would prefer that it remain without all caps highlighting the current phase. All caps is to "screaming" to me and thus annoying.

Can the color used "bleed" into the background color on some countres for someone who is colorblind?

With the change of the view charts button I got the feeling that the buttons blietzkrieg and assault was greyed out and not available to be chosen at this moment.

-Orm

Post #: 1456
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/16/2008 5:14:51 PM   
bredsjomagnus

quote:

With the change of the view charts button I got the feeling that the buttons blietzkrieg and assault was greyed out and not available to be chosen at this moment.

I only changed one button but the meaning was that every button should look the same. And "my" button is not the worlds most good looking button either .

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1457
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/17/2008 8:24:03 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

Is it possible to write the subphases already completed with greyish text (or maybe italic), thus showing it's already completed. The active subphase could be written with bold text and future subphases with the normal text.

Post #: 1458
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/18/2008 8:10:09 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

I am revising the display (and processing) of land combat resolution. Here is the new form.

At the top is the sequence of the subphases within the phase land combat resolution. RAC (rules as coded) follows RAW (rules as written), for this subphase sequence. Regrettably, RAW is somewhat vague about who decides to use snow units first/second and where the decision about using the engineer occurs.

I am going to change what you see here so that following Select Combat will be: Attacker decides whether to use Snow Units, Defender decides to use Snow Units, Attacker decides to use Engineer, and lastly, the decision about combat table is made.

Note that the Odds are updated as these decisions are made, though those decisions that require a die roll are only estimates until the die roll actually occurs. When there is a difference between Assault and Blitz odds, both are shown with Assault odds shown first (e.g., hex [49, 45]).

At the bottom, the Unit Data Panel is updated whenever the cursor passes over one of the defending or attacking units.

Hi Steve, this was discussed on the Yahoo Rules list and Patrice requested I relay my suggestion to you, as he is in the midst of moving and is suffering from internet pause-itis.

IMO it should be:

1) Declaration of all combats
2) Select the hex
2A) Attacker decides whether to use Engineer's ability
2B) Attacker decides whether to use Snow Units
2C) Defender decides whether to use Snow Units
3) The rest of the combat sequence per RAW
4) Back to step 2 for next hex

I think the Defender should know what the Attacker's options are before having to choose.

An advantage of my suggestion is that the attacker makes his decisions together, rather than the attacker-defender-attacker sequence you suggested. The next decisions are also the defender's - accept or decline the notional; and add DSB (if it is a chosen option) - so these decisions are "grouped". This will reduce the requirement for interaction in hotseat, pbem and network games.

Further to this, a guiding principle should be the grouping of decisions, even if this bends RAW a bit (as long as the effect is minor) - so that the interaction factor is minimized.

Cheers.

Paul

Post #: 1459
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/18/2008 9:03:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

I am revising the display (and processing) of land combat resolution. Here is the new form.

At the top is the sequence of the subphases within the phase land combat resolution. RAC (rules as coded) follows RAW (rules as written), for this subphase sequence. Regrettably, RAW is somewhat vague about who decides to use snow units first/second and where the decision about using the engineer occurs.

I am going to change what you see here so that following Select Combat will be: Attacker decides whether to use Snow Units, Defender decides to use Snow Units, Attacker decides to use Engineer, and lastly, the decision about combat table is made.

Note that the Odds are updated as these decisions are made, though those decisions that require a die roll are only estimates until the die roll actually occurs. When there is a difference between Assault and Blitz odds, both are shown with Assault odds shown first (e.g., hex [49, 45]).

At the bottom, the Unit Data Panel is updated whenever the cursor passes over one of the defending or attacking units.

Hi Steve, this was discussed on the Yahoo Rules list and Patrice requested I relay my suggestion to you, as he is in the midst of moving and is suffering from internet pause-itis.

IMO it should be:

1) Declaration of all combats
2) Select the hex
2A) Attacker decides whether to use Engineer's ability
2B) Attacker decides whether to use Snow Units
2C) Defender decides whether to use Snow Units
3) The rest of the combat sequence per RAW
4) Back to step 2 for next hex

I think the Defender should know what the Attacker's options are before having to choose.

An advantage of my suggestion is that the attacker makes his decisions together, rather than the attacker-defender-attacker sequence you suggested. The next decisions are also the defender's - accept or decline the notional; and add DSB (if it is a chosen option) - so these decisions are "grouped". This will reduce the requirement for interaction in hotseat, pbem and network games.

Further to this, a guiding principle should be the grouping of decisions, even if this bends RAW a bit (as long as the effect is minor) - so that the interaction factor is minimized.

Cheers.

Thanks. I think the code is pretty much this way already.

The decision about the engineer is made when the attacker declares his attacks.
The attacker snow decision is made after a specific combat hex is chosen
The defender snow decision is next
The die rolls for HQ support need to be made next, which interrupts the defender's decisions.
The defender chooses Assault or Blitz (knowing all of the above)

==
The only substantative difference is that the attacker decides about Engineers before:
pIgnoreNotional, // RAC 11.14.
pEmergencyHQSupply, // RAC 2.4.3. {make available as a digression too}
pShoreBombardmentD, // RAC 11.16.2.
pShoreBombardmentA, // RAC 11.16.2.
pHQSupportD, // RAC 11.16.3.
pHQSupportA, // RAC 11.16.3.
pGroundSupport, // RAC 11.16.4.

As you presented the Sequence of Play, the Engineer decision would be made after ground support has all been resolved.
==
Here is what I have presently:
pLandMovement, // RAC 11.11.
pAirTransport, // RAC 11.12.
pUnloadLandUnits, // RAC 11.13.
pInvasion, // RAC 11.14.
pParadrop, // RAC 11.15.

pLandCombatDeclaration, // RAC 11.16.1.
pIgnoreNotional, // RAC 11.14.
pShoreBombardmentD, // RAC 11.16.2.
pShoreBombardmentA, // RAC 11.16.2.
pHQSupportD, // RAC 11.16.3.
pHQSupportA, // RAC 11.16.3.
pGroundSupport, // RAC 11.16.4.

pLandCombatResolution, // RAC 11.16.5 & 11.16.6.

The land combat resolution subphases are:
LCRspLandCombatSelection, // RAC 11.16.5.
LCRspAttSnowUnits,
LCRspDefSnowUnits,
LCRspChooseCombatType, // RAC 11.16.5 & 11.16.6.
LCRspLandCombatResolution, // RAC 11.16.5 & 11.16.6.
LCRspConvertShattered,
LCRspAssignLosses, // RAC 11.16.5.
LCRspHexControl, // RAC 11.11.6 (overruns by invading and/or paradropping units)
LCRspRetreats, // RAC 11.16.5.
LCRspAdvanceAfterCombat // RAC 11.16.5.

Each of the air missions has some or all of the subphases:
AspCAP, // RAC 14.2.1.
AspFlyA, // RAC 14.2.2, 14.2.3, & 14.2.1.
AspFlyD, // RAC 14.2.2, 14.2.3, & 14.2.1.
AspInterceptD, // RAC 14.2.1.
AspInterceptA, // RAC 14.2.1.
AspSurprise, // RAC 11.5.6.
AspAirAir, // RAC 14.3.
AspAntiAirD, // RAC 11.5.9.
AspAntiAirA, // RAC 11.5.9.
AspAttack, // RAC 11.5.9, 11.7, 11.8, 11.9, 11.12, 11.15,
// 11.16.4, & 11.8.1.
AspReturnA, // RAC 14.2.
AspReturnD, // RAC 14.2.

And each air-to-air combat has the sub-subphases:
sspLocation, // RAC 14.3.
sspArrange, // RAC 14.3.1.
sspRollDef, // RAC 14.3.2.
ssp1stUnit, // RAC 14.3.3.
ssp1stDisposition, // RAC 14.3.3.
sspRollAtt, // RAC 14.3.2.
ssp2ndUnit, // RAC 14.3.3.
ssp2ndDisposition, // RAC 14.3.3.
sspAttAbortStay, // RAC 14.3.2.
sspDefAbortStay, // RAC 14.3.2.
sspBothStaying // RAC 14.3.2.

Steve

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1460
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 4:07:17 AM   
paulderynck

Well not exactly. I'm saying the attacker makes those decisions right after the attack is announced and then the defender does his and then you are back in the sequence of play. This would happen before:
1. ... (the defender then announces whether any notional units are to be ignored);
2. add defensive shore bombardment (option 38);
3. add offensive shore bombardment;
4. announce defensive HQ support (option 13);
5. announce offensive HQ support;
6. fly and resolve ground support missions;
7. resolve HQ support;
8. the combats are then resolved one by one (attacker choosing the order of combat resolution).

We may be saying the same thing in ways the other is unsure mean the same thing...

Paul

Post #: 1461
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 5:09:46 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Well not exactly. I'm saying the attacker makes those decisions right after the attack is announced and then the defender does his and then you are back in the sequence of play. This would happen before:
1. ... (the defender then announces whether any notional units are to be ignored);
7. resolve HQ support;
8. the combats are then resolved one by one (attacker choosing the order of combat resolution).

We may be saying the same thing in ways the other is unsure mean the same thing...

We match up except in two places (where RAW is unclear).

1. I have the die rolling for HQ support (if a die needs to be rolled) within the combat resolution for each hex - after snow units are committed but before the Assault/Blitz decision. The way you have it structured, the players would know how well they rolled the dice for HQ support for all combats before deciding about the use of snow bonuses. I prefer keeping them in the dark about die rolls up to the point that they choose Assault/Blitz.

2. I have the Enginner decision made during land combat declaration instead of within each combat resolution. The way you have it structured, the players would know how well earlier combats turned out before deciding about using the engineer in subsequent combats.
==
If anything, as a player, I would like to have all the decisions (except assault/blitz) made for all combats prior to selecting which combat to first resolve. Then I would like the program to roll for HQ support for each combat as it is processed and that information provided to the player deciding assault/blitz.

But that is just me being a theoretician. I am perfectly content with the sequence currently coded and I do not see a lot of difference one way or the other. Seriously, the players are going to use their engineers and their snow units almost 100% of the time. The question is mostly a formality.

Steve

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 1462
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 11:27:07 AM   
Orm

quote:

We match up except in two places (where RAW is unclear).

1. I have the die rolling for HQ support (if a die needs to be rolled) within the combat resolution for each hex - after snow units are committed but before the Assault/Blitz decision. The way you have it structured, the players would know how well they rolled the dice for HQ support for all combats before deciding about the use of snow bonuses. I prefer keeping them in the dark about die rolls up to the point that they choose Assault/Blitz.

2. I have the Enginner decision made during land combat declaration instead of within each combat resolution. The way you have it structured, the players would know how well earlier combats turned out before deciding about using the engineer in subsequent combats.
==
If anything, as a player, I would like to have all the decisions (except assault/blitz) made for all combats prior to selecting which combat to first resolve. Then I would like the program to roll for HQ support for each combat as it is processed and that information provided to the player deciding assault/blitz.

But that is just me being a theoretician. I am perfectly content with the sequence currently coded and I do not see a lot of difference one way or the other. Seriously, the players are going to use their engineers and their snow units almost 100% of the time. The question is mostly a formality.

The land combat sequence is:
1. declare all attacks, (the defender then announces whether any
notional units are to be ignored);
7. resolve HQ support;
8. the combats are then resolved one by one (attacker choosing the
order of combat resolution).

We played it like this.
1.a) Attacker declares all attacks including commiting engineer and winterized bonuses (in land combat declaration). (If attacker decides on snow units at this point would make for faster game with less phases)
1.b) Defender declares notional and winterized units (if any). (Defender can then right away go to 2. add defensive shore bombardment)
7. We resolve HQ support before so we know all the odds before we pick the first combat.
8. Resolve combat. (We roll fractional odds with the normal (combat) die roll. After choosing blitz/assault)

I like that you added a step for:
Perfectly placed in the order of combat decisions.
==
It is often I do not use the engineer bonus if I play with 2d10 table (unless I have more than one engineer) since I often find the extra bonus against cities more valuble. It feels important to me to know about winterized and engineer units before commiting to HQ support.

-Orm

Post #: 1463
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 5:04:06 PM   
composer99

Since resolving HQ support is in RAW as being ahead of resolving the combats themselves, why would the resolution be deferred? As Orm points out, it's good to know the final (pre-blitz) odds before you begin resolving attacks (since blitz mods are not known until a blitz combat is called).

Also, if playing with the add/subtract 1/2 of HQ reorg value optional, there is no roll to resolve HQ support, it just gets thrown in. Since both forms of HQ support exist, why not 'unversalize' the resolution of HQ support by leaving it in its alloted place per RAW?

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1464
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 5:27:38 PM   
peskpesk

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Since resolving HQ support is in RAW as being ahead of resolving the combats themselves, why would the resolution be deferred? As Orm points out, it's good to know the final (pre-blitz) odds before you begin resolving attacks (since blitz mods are not known until a blitz combat is called).

Also, if playing with the add/subtract 1/2 of HQ reorg value optional, there is no roll to resolve HQ support, it just gets thrown in. Since both forms of HQ support exist, why not 'unversalize' the resolution of HQ support by leaving it in its alloted place per RAW?

I agree with Orm and Composer99.

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1465
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 5:59:25 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Ok, I'll move rolling the dice for resolving HQ support so it occurs before any combat is selected.

There is another item that happens at the same time (currently) that I hadn't mentioned: resolving the fractional bonus (if playing with that rule). I think I will leave that code where it is: just before choice of Assault/Blitz.
==
As for moving the decisions about winterized units, I would like to hear more opinions before rearranging that code..

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1466
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 8:38:23 PM   
composer99

The fractional odds resolution is listed in 11.16.5 as taking place immediately before rolling dice to resolve the combat (and after the table is picked) - and in table-top WiF most players "tack on" an extra die when rolling to resolve the combat. The extra die resolves the fractional adjustment.

I don't think that the order matters as much in this case, though others may disagree. Leaving fractional odds resolution where you have put it seems fine by me.

As far as the snow unit resolution goes, as the weather effect on combat is calculated after the table is picked (again, as described in 11.16.5), I assume the winterized unit modifier is resolved at that time as well - technically.

However, as we all know, players usually calculate the odds of potential combats in advance of calling them, so committing to use or not use winterized units earlier in the combat resolution process seems reasonable to me.

So it seems reasonable to have the winterized unit resolution take place earlier in the combat sequence; perhaps the engineer and winterized unit commitments can be made when declaring attacks (as the attacker will have a clear idea of whether he wants to commit them or not by then anyway).

~ Composer99

Post #: 1467
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/19/2008 9:34:36 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

The fractional odds resolution is listed in 11.16.5 as taking place immediately before rolling dice to resolve the combat (and after the table is picked) - and in table-top WiF most players "tack on" an extra die when rolling to resolve the combat. The extra die resolves the fractional adjustment.

I don't think that the order matters as much in this case, though others may disagree. Leaving fractional odds resolution where you have put it seems fine by me.

As far as the snow unit resolution goes, as the weather effect on combat is calculated after the table is picked (again, as described in 11.16.5), I assume the winterized unit modifier is resolved at that time as well - technically.

However, as we all know, players usually calculate the odds of potential combats in advance of calling them, so committing to use or not use winterized units earlier in the combat resolution process seems reasonable to me.

So it seems reasonable to have the winterized unit resolution take place earlier in the combat sequence; perhaps the engineer and winterized unit commitments can be made when declaring attacks (as the attacker will have a clear idea of whether he wants to commit them or not by then anyway).

These kinds of changes will be easier to do now, since I restructured the code concerning land combat. But I would like to hear more opinions before making additional changes (so far I've only committed to changing the placement of the HQ Support die rolls so they follow RAW).

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1468
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/20/2008 12:17:00 AM   
Anendrue

I prefer to stick to RAW unless there is a justifiable programming reason or Harry makes a change.

Post #: 1469
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/20/2008 2:44:09 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

I prefer to stick to RAW unless there is a justifiable programming reason or Harry makes a change.

Yes. But RAW is somewhat vague about this.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI