Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best starting country/scenario for a beginner?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/17/2005 11:22:33 PM   
suleo

Hi all,

I recently purchased Crown of Glory and I was wondering what the best(easiest) country/scenario combination is, for a beginner (I don't mind losing at this point, I would just like to learn how to play the game!).

I've tried the default France 1805 scenario but the number of provinces and the number of armies looks quite daunting.

Also, as a beginner, I am planning to use the AI experts for the economy and development aspects and focus on diplomacy and strategy. My question is: how good are those experts?

Finally, is there a way to play detailed battles outside of the grand strategic game? I.e. something similar to 'historic battles' that other games have? If not, this would be a nice feature for future patches/expansions and also a good way to practice the detailed battle skills without having to play the strategic game as well.
Post #: 1
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/17/2005 11:59:50 PM   
Hakkapeliitta

I started playing with Sweden in different scenarios, small, easily manageable country, and distant from middle - Europe, no big landlocked neighbours except Russia.

(in reply to suleo)
Post #: 2
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/18/2005 12:01:24 AM   
mavraamides

I started with Sweden just to play 8-10 turns and kind of see how things work. Sweden has very few
territories and armies so it made it easier to keep track.

Then once I kind of knew how things worked, I played a game as Spain. Spain is a step up but still
quite manageable plus you have France as an ally between you and most of your enemies so it makes
it a little easier to protect yourself.

The bottom line is, the more territories and armies you start with, the harder it will be to keep track of everything.

Now I'm playing Turkey and Russia (my favorite so far). I can whip through my territories and armies in about 2 minutes
every turn now once everything is setup and spend most of my time fighting battles...

(in reply to suleo)
Post #: 3
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/18/2005 2:49:13 AM   
Archinerd

I jumped right in as France, and figured it out as I went. If you haven't yet, its worth it to get the manual printed, it makes it a lot easier to find the information you're looking for, and you have the ability to add your own notes and tabs too.

As for scenarios, even though I haven't played any of the others yet, I would suggest starting with the standard 1805 scenario, becuase as you may have noticed, there are a lot of helpful guides posted on the forum and some strategy guides in the back of the manual.

(in reply to suleo)
Post #: 4
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/18/2005 5:30:59 AM   
BossGnome

suleo, uncle sam wants you! join our new players PBEM game!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to Archinerd)
Post #: 5
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/18/2005 8:23:40 AM   
Grand_Armee

I started with Sweden, cause it had few provinces. I didn't like it much cause it was just a bit too small...and it was Sweden.

Prussia in 1792 is good because you only have 7 provinces, and everyone is a lot more equal than in 1805. You start out at war with France, but the Austrians are there too, so it ain't too bad as long as you use combat common sense.

One thing to get used to living with is your whiny economic advisor. He might say that you need wine when you have enough to keep your people happy. It's just that he sees it as lowest of the three luxuries so he has to say something.

...this is a great game...just wishin' and hopin' for the day I can play some real people.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 6
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/18/2005 10:18:25 AM   
BossGnome

join the darn pbem game i am bustin my head to set up then! argg!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to Grand_Armee)
Post #: 7
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/20/2005 7:00:42 PM   
dapamdg

May I suggest starting as Great Britain? Not many provinces to have to administer and a very high quality army that will allow you to fight some battles and do well even if you make some mistakes. Also, the superior RN will be able to protect you from any of the continental bad guys should you mess up and lose your army overseas. I also found that as Sweden, I sometimes had troubles with Russia, and they can be a real bear. Also, anyone else can get at you through Denmark so you are not as isoltaed as are the British.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 8
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/21/2005 6:09:03 AM   
suleo

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I ended up starting with Sweden 1805, which was sort of boring , then moved on to prussia 1792, and finally to France 1792, which I ended up sticking with. France in 1792 has a decent economy (which actually makes money, unlike in 1805), lots of possibilities for trade, decent relations with most majors (i.e. not at war with almost everyone like in 05) and a small but competent and manageable army.

I'm doing good so far, managed to grab tyrolia (and flanders) from the austrians and got peace with them. Now I am mostly concerned with guarding those russian POWs (Russia DOWed me for some reason on the 2nd turn) from the cossack menace

(in reply to dapamdg)
Post #: 9
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/21/2005 8:37:18 AM   
Naomi

As you guys mentioned Sweden, I'd love to ask why land troops can pass through Denmark and go over to Sweden without naval aid. Even if they can do so on their own, fighting vessels placed around Copenhagen should at least be able to stop them, but they aren't. Or weren't they historically? :p

(in reply to suleo)
Post #: 10
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/21/2005 11:52:55 AM   
Grand_Armee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi

As you guys mentioned Sweden, I'd love to ask why land troops can pass through Denmark and go over to Sweden without naval aid. Even if they can do so on their own, fighting vessels placed around Copenhagen should at least be able to stop them, but they aren't. Or weren't they historically? :p

Heck, dindja know that back in them days the Kattegat was only knee deep? Besides, there should be some penalty for allowing a third-rate power to play against the big boys. Can't have two Britains in one game anyway.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 11
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/21/2005 10:38:46 PM   
pricemc1

Many people seem to recommend Sweden as a good starting country. I find Sweden a very hard country to play (at least in 1805) because you have little room for expansion and few resources to grow your army and fleet in any meaningful way.

I would love to see someone post a good strategy guide for Sweden in particular because I find this country quite challenging to play aggresively. You can make some gains in the 1805 scenario if France surrenders early or you take Denmark but other than that I cant really see how this country can survive attacks from any country (other than Turkey). It seems to me that the main thing you can do with Sweden is sit back and build up its internal recources and hope nobody attacks you. Either way, you cant win with that kind of strategy.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mike

(in reply to suleo)
Post #: 12
RE: Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? - 9/21/2005 11:06:26 PM   
carnifex

As Sweden your main feeding ground should be Russia. Take Denmark, build up the army just a bit, declare on Russia and concentrate your army in your capital to take advantage of the river crossing from Finland, the forest, and the inherent forts. Soon a very large but low morale Russian army will begin to break on your high morale troops. If you're lucky it won't arrive all at once either but in nice bite-sized pieces. Afterwards, if the battles haven't forced a morale-based surrender, march slowly into Russia. Great thing about fighting them is that they can't outflank you and make a rush for your capital.

Take St Pete from them, then either harass the Prussians for some coastal provinces, or just wait until it's time to hammer on the Russians again, preferably while they're busy with the Ottoman Jerks. From St Pete you can be in Moscow in one turn.

< Message edited by carnifex -- 9/21/2005 11:10:35 PM >

(in reply to pricemc1)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Best starting country/scenario for a beginner? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI