Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v2.3 stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> v2.3 stuff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v2.3 stuff - 7/3/2000 5:35:00 AM   
Dean Robb

1. Still not happy with the "out of contact" numbers - maybe in v3 this can be an option? Turn 1 of scanario: 20/20 Katyuskas - no ammo (and not considered in calculations). 8/8 152mm FH - out of contact. 2/8 122mm - out of contact. 3/8 76.2mm - out of contact. 4/4 120mm mortars - out of contact. So 17 of 28 possible batteries were out of contact; or about 61% of all available artillery was not available for fire missions. Numbers were about the same for the entire scenario. Equine manure. The loss of supporting fires should be the exception, not the rule. If the player doesn't have priority of fires, then that arty shouldn't be in the scenario/battle in the first place. And the entire concept of priority of fires is that I can get what I need when I need it. Most especially the 120mm Mortars shouldn't have been shooting someone else's missions - they're organic to my formation! Likewise on-map artillery should NEVER, EVER, EVER be out of contact - it should follow the same rules as any other unit that has lost radio contact (assuming that option is on). 2. I've noticed that after each shot, a unit loses sight of all it's previously-sighted enemy units ("enemy seen"). From another thread, I understand that loss of targets is a design feature, but I'm thinking that the loss of sight is an unintended consequence. If you click another unit, then return to the first - it can "magically" see again. Might need to be looked at as seeing is not targeting, and seeing can be kinda handy. 3. Request for design purposes: Would it be possible to code reinforcement hexes to do an "if-then" type check for ownership before reinforcing? And if the hex is owned by the other side, the reinforcements are delayed/shifted elsewhere/lost? It's aggravating to have silly things occur like having an entire platoon of Jagdpathers appear well behind your FLOT and shoot your armored force to pieces from the rear.

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...
Post #: 1
- 7/3/2000 8:05:00 AM   
troopie

You're right about the on-board stuff. The mortars in my company better be listening for MY order, (I always put myself in the position of the on-board CO.) not firing somebody else's mission or listening to the Hit Parade. One observer might be out of contact with them, but not all of them. BTW I got an interesting and frustrating message in generated battle. One of my Forward observers has been out of contact for the entire battle. When I click on him and try the bombardment menu I get the following message "Forward Observer can't assign artillery?' troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 2
- 7/3/2000 11:05:00 AM   
bigjim

HEHEH My complaint is the LOS deal for the AI where it can fire for numerous turns and never be seen by literally HUNDREDS of troops and the units firing are in the open. Picture a group of infantry on a golf fairway dugin and firing at you, after about 2 vollies you WOULD see them or at least where the fire was coming from, but no so with SP the AI fires merrily away for turn after turn unspotted, and even worst moves up intire squads in front of my troops totally unspotted until they close assault a tank or vehicle. I am sorry but this is wrong I spent time in the service too and I am here to tell you NO WAY did 10 squads of infantry move in the open without being seen if there were people in the defense on watch, hell in Viet Nam we at least knew which direction the fire was coming from in TRIPLE canopy jungle. BigJim

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 3
- 7/3/2000 6:48:00 PM   
renwor

I don't have that much complaint about unspotted units firing at me, as long as it works both ways. And work it does!!! Kudos to Wild Bill for the Eagles. I am through the first battle. Decisive victory, but it was no easy fight. took me six hours to complete this one. In this batle one of my snipers shot two entire 105mmFH crews one by one, from 9 hexes and nobody cared to fire on him. I guess had to be pretty frustrating for the crews Oh, and three of my bazookas wiped out all the gerrys reinforcements That tiger just stood there, astonished, where are those shots coming from. But please, please stop calling "feature", the obvious BUG which hides units during computer turn, even if they remain in LOS. Well so far it would not be that bad, if it means unit hide itself, so it cannot be spotted from current position, but it's not so. Sometimes it's enough, if I am sure enemy is there, just to rotate the unit on spot, and/or switch to another unit and back and here we go ... lost unit is in sight again. Do you really want me to start every turn by rotating all my units? Rotating isn't movement, so I wouldn't loose movement points and it doesn't attract op fire also, or in cover status. So if I want to be sure there are no enemy units right behind me I have to rotate and rotate and ... guess what ? it's lot of WORK!!! If you really insist on this "feature" probably because there is some problem in code, which makes it hard to get rid of it, couldn't there be some "everybody rotate around" toggle for every begining of turn? Or are some of you working for Microsoft? Renwor

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 4
- 7/3/2000 7:04:00 PM   
Scarhead

quote:

...the entire battle. When I click on him and try the bombardment menu I get the following message "Forward Observer can't assign artillery?' troopie
Does it have a radio? All SP games distribute radios on a unit based dice roll. Sometimes all of the squads in a plt have a radio - except the HQ squad. Scarhead

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 5
- 7/4/2000 11:49:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Scarhead: Does it have a radio? All SP games distribute radios on a unit based dice roll. Sometimes all of the squads in a plt have a radio - except the HQ squad. Scarhead
I've seen this, too. Had one scenario where none of the 4 FOs (2 foot, 2 vehicles) could call in arty. Ended up using them as scouts. Sometimes, when you're prevented from calling in arty it clears the next turn and you can. Sometimes not. I've not been able to find a common factor - suppression, etc. just don't seem to matter. Weird, but livable. Now...lets talk about why my 50mm mortar, next to my G0 unit, was "out of contact" for the entire 14 turns....

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 6
- 7/4/2000 11:56:00 AM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Dean Robb: Now...lets talk about why my 50mm mortar, next to my G0 unit, was "out of contact" for the entire 14 turns....
Perhaps they had misplaced the fuses? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 7
- 7/6/2000 8:25:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Voriax: Perhaps they had misplaced the fuses?
Hehehehe...KNEW I forgot something when I crossed that border!

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 8
- 7/8/2000 6:48:00 PM   
Pack Rat

quote:

Originally posted by Dean Robb: 3. Request for design purposes: Would it be possible to code reinforcement hexes to do an "if-then" type check for ownership before reinforcing? And if the hex is owned by the other side, the reinforcements are delayed/shifted elsewhere/lost? It's aggravating to have silly things occur like having an entire platoon of Jagdpathers appear well behind your FLOT and shoot your armored force to pieces from the rear.
I'm hoping others in the group or at Matrix are a aware of a game called Railroad Tycoon II. They had an event editor in their game that was just plain out of sight. You actually were doing some small amounts of codeing, simple of course, for your what if events. I kind of think such a thing out of the scope for now, but I'm no programer. Been so long since I played it and the CD is lent out so I can't load it up and look right now. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Dean Robb)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> v2.3 stuff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI