Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stacking Limits for TOAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Stacking Limits for TOAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stacking Limits for TOAW - 10/11/2005 8:22:46 PM   
DavidI

The present game allows for up to 9 units to be in a stack in a single hex basically with no limit as to size. There is a penalty for being overstacked, but it is not stringent enough. I recommend that you allow the scenario designer to fix the stacking from one to nine units depending on the scale and level of the scenario.
For example you could not do a very good simulation of Italy at a divisional level because the Axis needed to line the width of the penisula leaving the Allies with the option to mass every division in his Army and attack the Axis one division at a time. With the relatively few divisions in Italy the Axis forces are soon destroyed. when I designed an Italian Campaign scenario for that game I had to do it at battalion level to make it work (with approx. 9 to 12 battalions per division you ended up with division stacks, but you had to move and keep track of 9 to 12 units instead of a single unit that was unable to stack with another unit.
At anyrate the stacking limits need to be looked at again, hopefully with an eye on allowing the scenario designer flexibilty in establishing that limit.
Another good optional rule would be "Hard Zones of Control" where you cannot move from one ZOC to another. But strictly as a optional rule.
DavidI
Post #: 1
RE: Stacking Limits for TOAW - 10/16/2005 2:25:05 AM   
Jeremy Mac Donald

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidI

The present game allows for up to 9 units to be in a stack in a single hex basically with no limit as to size. There is a penalty for being overstacked, but it is not stringent enough. I recommend that you allow the scenario designer to fix the stacking from one to nine units depending on the scale and level of the scenario.
For example you could not do a very good simulation of Italy at a divisional level because the Axis needed to line the width of the penisula leaving the Allies with the option to mass every division in his Army and attack the Axis one division at a time. With the relatively few divisions in Italy the Axis forces are soon destroyed. when I designed an Italian Campaign scenario for that game I had to do it at battalion level to make it work (with approx. 9 to 12 battalions per division you ended up with division stacks, but you had to move and keep track of 9 to 12 units instead of a single unit that was unable to stack with another unit.
At anyrate the stacking limits need to be looked at again, hopefully with an eye on allowing the scenario designer flexibilty in establishing that limit.

I agree - but I'd go the other way as well. Admittedly stacks of more then 9 are cumbersome but some scenarios call for them. If I'm doing regiments at 10 km scale I can get 3 divisions in the stack - but they have to leave all their artillery etc. behind.

< Message edited by Jeremy Mac Donald -- 10/16/2005 4:08:04 AM >

Necesse est multos timeat quem multi timent

"He whom many fear, fears many"

(in reply to DavidI)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Stacking Limits for TOAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI