Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

how to change size of pitching rotation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> how to change size of pitching rotation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/15/2005 6:31:06 AM   
bobsayah

I just had my team make the playoffs and I want to change my pitching rotation size from 5 to 4, but even though I know it's there, I can't seem to find the option to do this. Can someone please point me to it?
Post #: 1
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/15/2005 6:39:48 AM   
DandricSturm

It is the Rotation Size button on the Modify Roster and Lineups screen.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to bobsayah)
Post #: 2
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/15/2005 10:41:31 PM   
redeck

is there anyway to set rotation size to smaller than 4 for use in say deadball era?

(in reply to bobsayah)
Post #: 3
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/15/2005 11:01:57 PM   
DandricSturm

I think the best you can do is set it to 4, then use the player usage button to set the #4 guy to "Skip this pitcher's turn often"

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 4
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/19/2005 2:33:57 AM   
Amaroq

redek, what I found myself doing was 'manually' starting my most rested pitcher.

I edited my puresim.xml to let pitchers 'recover' more quickly, in a way that was ideally suited to pitching every fourth day, but could let players pitch every third day if they had to.

I used the real schedules from, for example, 1901.

I set the game to 'rotation size 4' - this is global for the entire league, so AI teams used a 4-man rotation.

Then, I manually chose my pitcher, and I learned somewhat where that '3 man rotation' came from: its not like teams played 30 consecutive days, and three pitchers pitched every third day. I found myself with 3 'regular' starters, a fourth 'spot' starter, and occasionally needing a fifth starter for double-headers, etc.

With an average of 6 days on and 1 day off (Sundays), I would typically pitch something like this:
123412-
312431-
231423-

So after three weeks, pitchers 1, 2, and 3 each had 5 starts, and pitcher 4 had 3 starts. There were enough irregular off-days in the schedule that this got my starters up over 40 starts each, out of a 140-game schedule.

I also manually adjusted things to keep my 'starters' available out of the bullpen in an emergency.

It was a bit of a pain, a lot of manual changes and no 'sim' period longer than about 6 days, but it worked very well - enough so that I started to feel like it was too significant an advantage over the AI (which was religiously pitching its #4 starter every fourth day), so I decided not to do it anymore.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 5
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/19/2005 4:42:49 PM   
redeck

Amaroq,

Thanks for the input. Ive not had much success in editing the xml files so i decided to let that kind of fixing rest.

your simple rotation shuffle though looks interesting and i may try it especially when my Tigers are in a pennant run. my 1901 season the bengals led the american league for nearly the entire season with Phi. close on out heels. with 4 games left, Boston came out of 3rd place winning all 4 games to win the division from games behind! yes PHi and Det both lost all 4 games.

then Boston had the nerve to get swept in the World Series by Pitsburgh.

Myabe if Det had went with 3 starters the last 2 weeks of season we could have won one more game....sigh

thanks for the ideas Amaroq

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 6
RE: how to change size of pitching rotation - 10/19/2005 9:23:14 PM   
Amaroq

You're welcome.

I found it was particularly effective in the tag-end of the historical 1901 schedule, as by September it diverged well out of the 'six games every seven days' pattern, and there were little 2- and 3-game clumps with several off days between. So, yeah, a manual jiggling of your rotation at that point might have gotten you one or two more starts out of your top pitchers.

The 'pattern' I used was to order my rotation for the next three or four games, and then find my next 'double-header' or 'off day', and simulate until the day before the 'double-header' or the last of any consecutive 'off days'; juggle rotation, sim again. If I had a double-header with a string of consecutive games after (e.g., Mon-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat), then I'd sim through the fourth game (Wed) and rejuggle my rotation then.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> how to change size of pitching rotation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI