Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/5/2005 1:27:21 AM   
Napi

On three different occasions we had a crash during TCP/IP play when a unit that was routed and was on the edge of the map going off. We hadn't saved before running the turn. This was after many turns in the battle.

The two others were indentical crashes and I can send you the file if you need it. Both crashes happened when me (France) was fighting a detailed battle against a Russian AI opponent and Austrian reinforcement (controlled by a human opponent) were about to enter the screen. Only a few moves into the battle.

We both have the beta patch and are on a 100 Mbit switched LAN connection.
Both machines have XP installed. One SP1, the other SP2. Security center is disabled.
One is a HP laptop nc8230 with 1GB Ram.
The other is a desktop with 2GB Kingston Ram, Geforce 6800 Ultra, AMD Athlon 64 3700+, Asus motherboard.

We played 3 detailed battles and crashed 3 times...

Please help
I do enjoy this game a great deal. If you can get this network thing sorted out I would be a happy man.
Best,
Glenn
Post #: 1
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/5/2005 3:25:28 AM   
Naomi

A time-out? :p

(in reply to Napi)
Post #: 2
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/5/2005 12:01:05 PM   
Napi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi

A time-out? :p

euh, not sure I understand. If you mean that the game was on hold for a while? No it wasn't.

Best,
Glenn

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 3
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/6/2005 2:25:01 AM   
Naomi

Hope mine won't be so embarrassed.

(in reply to Napi)
Post #: 4
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/6/2005 6:18:41 PM   
garoco

Napi
Yesterday, Mogami and Me was playing near of 11 hours TCPIP, during these hours, our file had crashed in three diferents ocasions, this occurs after of play 6 hours of game, I think is probably that the program is become to saturated of orders and this is the reason that I believe that crashed.
I suggest you while Ericbabe work in that, save always after of 1 turn

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 5
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/8/2005 4:03:26 AM   
Naomi

How long would such a save take?

(in reply to garoco)
Post #: 6
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/8/2005 4:05:36 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: garoco

Napi
Yesterday, Mogami and Me was playing near of 11 hours TCPIP, during these hours, our file had crashed in three diferents ocasions, this occurs after of play 6 hours of game, I think is probably that the program is become to saturated of orders and this is the reason that I believe that crashed.
I suggest you while Ericbabe work in that, save always after of 1 turn

In our long in-house testing sessions we too experience one inexplicable crash on an average of about 5-6 hours. So far we haven't had a crash from which we couldn't recover simply by rebooting and reloading the autosave, but it's still quite annoying.

My best guess is that it's a multithreading issue -- something on the client becomes changed by the server in the midst of being used by the client (we do have semaphores in place, naturally, but it's possible we've missed some place where they are required). It does seem only to happen after several hours of play, so may be related to some internal object used by DirectPlay.

As for the bug Napi is reporting, we typically don't play human vs. AI detailed-battles during our TCP/IP games -- though we have tested this case to make sure everything was working; so it's quite possible we just haven't encountered the bug Napi reported.

(in reply to garoco)
Post #: 7
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/8/2005 4:05:38 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for this report, Napi. This was a bug we had during early beta testing that I thought we'd fixed. Just to clarify: in all three cases it was a human fighting AI in detailed combat, and then the AI called a human reinforcement? I'll put this at the top of my list of things to look into.

Time-outs as Naomi mentioned aren't games on pause but it's when the network starts dropping packets, and in this case the connection between games can become lost (and this may cause the games to crash, depending on what they are doing at the time.) It doesn't sound like this is what you are experiencing.

(in reply to Napi)
Post #: 8
RE: Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP - 11/9/2005 10:05:06 PM   
Napi

Hello Eric,

some more details so you don't search for the wrong things.
2 humans
1 human playing GB and AU
1 human playing FR and SP
We played like this because we want to minimize quick combat as much as possible while avoiding one human just watching the show.
the first crash was FRvsAU and happened when a unit was routed and exited the map. The red cursors stayed at the last location of the unit and nothing could get the computer to move to the next unit.

The second and third crash was the same battle (from save). FR (me) ended up fighting a RU army (AI) who called in AU reinforcements (other human). When the reinforcements were to enter the the game stopped moving to the next units and the reiforcement where not placed. I do have this file and can send it to you or upload it somewhere so you can see for yourself. It would take any misunderstanding out of the way...and I do want you to fiw this very badly

A time-out seems unlikely as packet loss on a switched 100Mbit LAN is minimal as opposed to internet (WAN) play. Netwerk ussage is minimal as it's at home and we were the only ones using the network. With the second crash I think we were only an hour into the session as we had to reboot for the first crash. The third crash was just after a reboot of the second. No unussual processes running in the background except outlook 2003 on my machine which was the server. No mail came in duing the crash in case you may wonder. The fact that the second and thrid crash happened at the exact same time does indicate a problem appart from the network package loss.

Good hunting

Best,
Glenn

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> Crash during TCP/IP play - HELP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI