Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWiF - USSR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF - USSR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/24/2009 1:26:19 PM   
composer99

I think a lot of what they sent by the air route was airplanes.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 271
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/24/2009 1:32:26 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I think a lot of what they sent by the air route was airplanes.

If you are right then this is not the same thing as sending BPs, looks more like lend lease airplanes to me.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 272
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/24/2009 2:07:36 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

the Turks would never have transshipped war material to Russia, that option wasn't even on the table; if anything in WWII they would have been in the 'Axis Influenced' camp or more strictly Neutral.

Concur. The Turks hated and feared the Russians throughout the 18th-20th Century. They fought numerous wars during this time period. It would be a similar concept to the US transshipping goods to Europe through the Soviet Union during the height of the cold war.

Turkey was neutral during the course of the war and declared war on Axis as a ceremonial gesture in february 23th, 1945. Their leader did his best to keep them out of this war despite Nazz Germany and Western Allies pressure. They were not "so opposed" to the americans. In fact, even now there are U.S. bases in Turkey no? even if it's more a result of the cold war. With proper pressure from U.S., they could as well let them use their railways during the WW2.

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 273
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 8:55:48 AM   
iamspamus

It was done by ship.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZOkiEu1hTqEC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=american+lend+lease+to+russia+vladivostok&source=bl&ots=ixFe2YuVP7&sig=RtQYd9o6dcehrRnIVcgyLF-GLHQ&hl=en&ei=pwalSY2cOpWA_gax_4yLBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

The arsenal of democracy pg.25 ("Lend-Lease Underway" section) A lot of stuff went through Vlad to Russia. From this book 8.2 million tons went through Vlad, compared to 4.2 Persian Gulf, 4 Murmansk and almost 1 combined from some others. So...

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

And the Americans really did send war material to Russia via an air route from Alaska to Siberia. That is historical (newest rules allow 1 BP per turn, but the Axis have no way whatsoever to influence that). Using Turkish railroads for that is not. The Persian route is very historical, but a little over-rated in WiF, with no through-put limits at all, in the worthwhile interests of quick and simple playability.

It may be historical, but to send the equivalent of 1 BP worth of supplies, that would take a very huge fleet of airplanes. I am not sure the americans sent so much from Alaska to Siberia.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 274
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 9:01:19 AM   
iamspamus

I agree with your facts, but disagree with your results. The reason that there were American bases in Turkey post WWII was when they joined NATO as protection against Russia. I would guess that the Americans DID ask the Turks for passage.

The Turks felt that they got royally screwed in WWI. They were going to play the fence for a long time. In fact they did, which is why they "dowed" the Axis at the end of the war.

This is very similar to the Bulgarians who sided with the Germans against everyone but the Russians. As Slavic "brothers" they would not fight the Russians, but were more than willing to fight the German/Italian enemies and partisans in the Balkans.

So, nope. Don't see it AT ALL.

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

quote:

the Turks would never have transshipped war material to Russia, that option wasn't even on the table; if anything in WWII they would have been in the 'Axis Influenced' camp or more strictly Neutral.

Concur. The Turks hated and feared the Russians throughout the 18th-20th Century. They fought numerous wars during this time period. It would be a similar concept to the US transshipping goods to Europe through the Soviet Union during the height of the cold war.

Turkey was neutral during the course of the war and declared war on Axis as a ceremonial gesture in february 23th, 1945. Their leader did his best to keep them out of this war despite Nazz Germany and Western Allies pressure. They were not "so opposed" to the americans. In fact, even now there are U.S. bases in Turkey no? even if it's more a result of the cold war. With proper pressure from U.S., they could as well let them use their railways during the WW2.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 275
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 1:57:31 PM   
composer99

If I recall correctly, a lot of neutral powers, once the war was firmly going the Allies' way, did bandwagon a little bit towards the Allies. Usually not enough that they could be claimed to be not neutral, but certainly that kind of thing went on. I believe near the end of the war Sweden cut Germany off, for example, from its iron shipments (someone with more time to research may want to confirm this)?

~ Composer99

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 276
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 5:22:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

If I recall correctly, a lot of neutral powers, once the war was firmly going the Allies' way, did bandwagon a little bit towards the Allies. Usually not enough that they could be claimed to be not neutral, but certainly that kind of thing went on. I believe near the end of the war Sweden cut Germany off, for example, from its iron shipments (someone with more time to research may want to confirm this)?

Sweden stopped the iron ore shipments to Germany 1944.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 277
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 6:06:21 PM   
Mike Parker

To Sweden's benefit however I would suggest the following.

Rather than them stopping shipments as a 'bandwagon jumping' with the Allies I think it is more fair to say that once it was clear the implied German threat of invasion was neutered, Sweden instituted policies it would have prefered to have in place during the balance of the War.

Although I defer to the Swedes amongst us to confirm or deny my thoughts on this? 

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 278
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 6:19:15 PM   
micheljq

Look at the thread, AI for MWiF - Sweden, some interesting information there.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 2/25/2009 6:22:00 PM >

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 279
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 6:31:43 PM   
praem

The reality was by 1943 the final outcome was given (and at that time the resistance movements in the ocupied nations startet gaining lots of recruits). By that time Sweden was in no threat of being invaded. In other words - it was not likely to be fear of invasion, that fueled the Swedes desire to sell Iron - more likely it was money - and by the time they stopped selling to Germany, I'm betting the alies pressured Sweden to do so.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 280
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 9:08:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: praem

The reality was by 1943 the final outcome was given (and at that time the resistance movements in the ocupied nations startet gaining lots of recruits). By that time Sweden was in no threat of being invaded. In other words - it was not likely to be fear of invasion, that fueled the Swedes desire to sell Iron - more likely it was money - and by the time they stopped selling to Germany, I'm betting the alies pressured Sweden to do so.

Germany had a plan to invade Sweden as late as the summer 1943. For several reasons the plan was cancelled and the invasion forces withdrawn. In 1944 Hitler demanded an attack on Sweden but was eventually talked out of it. Instead they planned to launch v-1 and v-2 rockets spring 44. It was eventually decided that other targets should get resourses first. In 1945 the plan to fire terror weapons on Sweden was once again activated by order from OKW. When Germany surrendered preparations to launch the rockets on Sweden were on the way.

(in reply to praem)
Post #: 281
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/25/2009 10:58:43 PM   
composer99

But did the Swedes know that the Germans had those plans? And even if they did have those plans, did they really have the capacity to carry them out?

Maybe this discussion should move to one of the minor country threads unless it moves back to what was initially discussed: lend-lease to USSR being shipped through neutral countries (this being the USSR AIO thread and all).

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 282
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/26/2009 3:04:59 AM   
lomyrin

If I remember correctly a couple of V-2 rockets were landed in Sweden, possibly accidentally by misfires.

Lars 

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 283
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/26/2009 4:37:07 AM   
brian brian

I think a lot of countries around the world declared for the Allies late in the game because it was let known that this would have something to do with setting up the United Nations?

As for AI for the USSR in MWiF, I will always think the same thing. In 1941, run like hell. Trade units only for railing a blue factory and nothing else. Keep the tanks and HQs out of Axis fighter range and under the three fighters the Russians can move each impulse; never even fly those planes until the 4th Russian impulse at least. Don't spend on any other planes until 1942, just more and more ground units, and not the worthless MIL. Just keep the mobile core of the Red Army intact and in front of the Germans; turn to fight at the Volga, the Caucasus, and the Arctic ports; make Leningrad, Rostov, and the Crimea into the toughest hexes you can with winterized units and ski divisions. Get the Allies to send everything they can. Don't be proud; run Josef, run. Playing a 1941 Barbarossa game is one of the most fun ways to go in WiF....lots of high tension mobile activity all through the war, and less of the double line slugfests that get dull.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 284
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/26/2009 1:36:38 PM   
iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
Germany had a plan to invade Sweden as late as the summer 1943. For several reasons the plan was cancelled and the invasion forces withdrawn. In 1944 Hitler demanded an attack on Sweden but was eventually talked out of it. Instead they planned to launch v-1 and v-2 rockets spring 44. It was eventually decided that other targets should get resourses first. In 1945 the plan to fire terror weapons on Sweden was once again activated by order from OKW. When Germany surrendered preparations to launch the rockets on Sweden were on the way.

quote:

But did the Swedes know that the Germans had those plans? And even if they did have those plans, did they really have the capacity to carry them out?

Good question C99. Also, did Germany have these contingency plans for tons of countries, like current governments do now? I mean any country with a decent upper echelon military has contingency plans.

AND I think that the Russia AIO should be good...

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 285
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 2/26/2009 4:02:16 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Good question C99. Also, did Germany have these contingency plans for tons of countries, like current governments do now? I mean any country with a decent upper echelon military has contingency plans.

AND I think that the Russia AIO should be good...

Sweden listened to German signal traffic from Germany to Norway and was aware of the plans. Both -42 and -43 the Swedish military had increased its readiness just before the planned attack was to launch. Some belive that the reason the 1942 attack was cancelled because Germany realized that with the increased Swedish readiness additional forces would be required. Midsummer 1943 Swedish supreme command send out an alert "Be alert! Be prepared! German invasion imminent!"

-Orm

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 286
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 7/12/2009 10:52:46 PM   
Gurggulk

More suggestions for Naval setups.

Option A Black Sea Build up
USSR Naval Setup Global War.
Baltic Sea Fleet and 2 submarines, Leningrad
Black Sea Fleet and transport, Sevastapol
2 submarines Vladivostok

Option B Far East Build up, Put Japan on notice
Baltic Sea Fleet Leningrad
4 submarines Vladivostok

Option C Baltic Sea Build up, possible winter war
Baltic Sea Fleet 2 submarines and transport, Leningrad
Black Sea Fleet, Sevastapol
2 submarines Vladivostok

Option D
waiting for comments

convoy point deployment options
Option A
3 Caspian Sea, For ensuring oil in case rail line is cut
Option B
1 Caspian Sea, 1 Black Sea, 1 Baltic Sea with use of Limited Overseas Supply option.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory about the USSR's, chances of getting convoy points from the Baltic states.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 287
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 7/13/2009 2:56:46 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gurggulk

2 submarines Vladivostok

4 submarines Vladivostok

2 submarines Vladivostok

Option D
waiting for comments

Option A
Option B
1 Caspian Sea, 1 Black Sea, 1 Baltic Sea with use of Limited Overseas Supply option.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory about the USSR's, chances of getting convoy points from the Baltic states.

Probability = Zero.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Gurggulk)
Post #: 288
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 7/13/2009 6:24:27 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

4 submarines Vladivostok

The Set-up for Global War specifies 2 subs for Europe, so I think 2 is maximum for Vlad.

Paul

(in reply to Gurggulk)
Post #: 289
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 7/13/2009 12:22:51 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
quote:

2 submarines Vladivostok

4 submarines Vladivostok

2 submarines Vladivostok

Option D
waiting for comments

Option A
Option B

Probability = Zero.

The Russian TRS in the Black Sea is what makes the most sense. It is a closed sea, so it won't suffer from enemy navies, plus it may allow to put Russian units in Ukraine in supply, or extract some, or reinforce. This is the most effective place.
In the Baltic it is useless for the whole war, unless an operation in Finland is planned.

As for the CP, I would advise having one in the Caspian for shipping oil to USSR in case the Caucasus is injeopardy, having one in the Black Sea, and one in the Murmansk / Archangelsk, to start the Arctic Circle convoys. One in the Baltic can be built in the future, but the need for supply / resource transportation in the Baltic is nearly sure of not arising before 1944 / 1945, unless something is planned in Finland.

Russian operations in Finland are a rare occurence, I never saw one in 20 games, but the Russian AIO has to be variable.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 290
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 7/13/2009 4:56:11 PM   
brian brian

I like one CP in the Baltic for an increased threat against Finland if and when you demand the Borderlands, and lately I have come around to wanting that in each game to help protect the Murmansk rail line.

One in the Black Sea is always definite. I think I prefer a second one too as there are just so many potential uses for one, especially with limited overseas supply.

One in the Arctic is also nice, can keep the entire White Sea coastline in supply, important as you battle for that rail line.

And the Caspian is very important; I even put the CA starting on the production circle in the Caspian when it arrives - handy for combat around Teheran, and to help protect the oil convoys.

So how do you cover all these important uses? I set up two in the Black and one in the Baltic. Then I build 3-5 new ones. It is hard to choose this since you urgently need land units, but a 3-4 CP line in the Caspian can really pay off after the Panzers break free (at least until the Italian air force shows up on the shoreline).

Russian ops in Finland are indeed rare, but if you don't have enough oomph behind the demand for the Borderlands, the German player just might take the likely -2 USE hit. One can't just demand them and expect a standard acceptance. Japan would certainly cheer when such a war starts. For the Russians a German refusal is OK, since the goal is to push back the borders away from Leningrad and the Murmansk rail line, and that is easily achievable even if war with Finland continues until war with Germany. But losing 2 USE Chits might make the play of USE Option 30 or 31, Lend-Lease to USSR, get delayed a couple turns.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 291
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:23:49 PM   
peskpesk

As I promised Steve to go through all the forums post of all AI for MWiF – XXX, here is the result for USSR. A few good suggestions from forum members. I have now compiled it to define 6 possible starting convoy routes for the Russian, from which the AIO will chose from.

Since the USSR often has a long time to prepare for war the reserve convoy placements is often as interesting than any convoy that start at sea, I have include that in the setup.
Note, if any more reserve convoy placements are assigned to Astrakhan, they should be placed directly in the Caspian Sea.

As always if you have any comments about these convoy routes, we would love to hear them. If nothing else, you could help us decide on their probabilities.

################################################################

Russian Convoys plans/routes Global war

Route 1: Caspian Sea (Standard).
Might be useful if planning to attack Persia. 2 CP in reserve.

reserve convoy placements %
A) Archangel:2 CP 5 %
B) Astrakhan:2 CP 5 %
C) Astrakhan:1 CP Archangel 1 CP 10%
D) Leningrad:1 CP Sevastopol:1 CP 25%
E) Leningrad:1 CP Archangel:1 CP 25%
F) Archangel:1 CP Sevastopol:1 CP 30%

Route 2: Black Sea.
Might be useful if planning to attack Rumania/Bulgaria. 2 CP in reserves.

A) Leningrad:1 CP Astrakhan:1 CP 20%
B) Leningrad:1 CP Archangel:1 CP 20%
C) Archangel:1 CP Astrakhan:1 CP 50%
D) Astrakhan:2 CP 5%
E) Archangel:2 CP 5%

Route 3: Baltic Sea.
Might be useful if planning to attack Finland/Denmark. 2 CP in reserve.

A) Sevastopol:1 CP Astrakhan:1 CP 20%
B) Sevastopol:1 CP Archangel:1 CP 20%
C) Archangel:1 CP Astrakhan:1 CP 50%
D) Astrakhan:2 CP 5%
E) Archangel:2 CP 5%

Route 4: Caspian Sea and Black Sea.
Might be useful if planning to attack Persia and Rumania/Bulgaria. 1 CP in reserve.

A) Leningrad:1 CP 30%
B) Archangel:1 CP 60%
C) Astrakhan 1 CP 10%

Route 5: Caspian Sea and Baltic Sea.
Might be useful if planning to attack Persia and Finland/Denmark. 1 CP in reserve.

A) Sevastopol:1 CP 30%
B) Archangel:1 CP 60%
C) Astrakhan 1 CP 10%

Route 6: None.
Might be useful to keep you CP in port in order to look less aggressive and it also slightly reduce the risk profile during a sudden axis declaration of war. 3 CP in reserve.

A) Archangel: 3 CP 5%
B) Astrakhan: 3 CP 5%
C) Leningrad:1 CP Sevastopol:1 CP Astrakhan 1 CP 15%
D) Archangel:1 CP Sevastopol:1 CP Astrakhan 1 CP 25%
E) Archangel:1 CP Sevastopol:1 CP Leningrad 1 CP 15%
F) Archangel:1 CP Astrakhan:1 CP Leningrad 1 CP 15%
G) Astrakhan:2 CP Archangel 1 CP 5%
H) Archangel:2 CP Astrakhan 1 CP 5%
I) Archangel:2 CP Sevastopol 1 CP 5%
J) Archangel:2 CP Leningrad 1 CP 5%

Base Convoy Deployment %
Route 1 35%
Route 2 10%
Route 3 10%
Route 4 5%
Route 5 5%
Route 6 35%

Optional rules that might affect Convoy Deployment %
• Limited Overseas Supply
• In the presence of the enemy
• Rough Seas
• Convoys In Flame
• Oil tankers
• Cruisers in flames
• Oil Rules
• Saving Oil Resources and Build Points
• AIO Strategy

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/13/2009 8:43:36 PM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 292
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:24:32 PM   
peskpesk

Route 1: Caspian Sea (Standard).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 293
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:24:56 PM   
peskpesk

Route 2: Black Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 294
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:25:41 PM   
peskpesk

Route 3: Baltic Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 295
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:26:16 PM   
peskpesk

Route 4: Caspian Sea and Black Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 296
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:26:49 PM   
peskpesk

Route 5: Caspian Sea and Baltic Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 297
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/13/2009 8:27:21 PM   
peskpesk

Route 6: None.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 298
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/18/2009 12:22:27 AM   
brian brian

So with the recent re-play of an historically timed Winter War in MWiF, I've been thinking about the Russian AI and a Demand for the Borderlands. I think the question of this basic decision has only been discussed in passing in this thread for the most part. I've been trying to figure out how to shore up the Russians during a 1941 Barbarossa backed by a lot of Italian air, which is a very, very dangerous strategy for the Allies to handle; they should consider this possibility carefully until the fall of 1940 and German intentions are finally known for sure. I have decided the Russians will need to do everything they can to get two factories to Murmansk, and a major way to help that goal is to demand the Finnish Borderlands.

So how do you go about doing that? For me, an historical attempt in 1939 is right out. The biggest downside of all to demanding the Borderlands is possibly losing two US Entry chits, and those are too valuable in 1939, plus the weather will probably be atrocious.

Now, since your real goal is to keep the Axis away from the rail line to Murmansk for just the first turn of war, it works out OK for the Russians to go to full war with the Finns. I would probably definitely make a point of taking a non-Borderland hex so the war could never end. It will then be somewhat unlikely that the Axis can threaten the rail line as they will mostly be in the south defending Helsinki, and the few that aren't can probably be contained easily by cavalry divisions cutting their supply and this just about guarantees the safety of the rail lines. No one says you have to attempt to go all the way to Helsinki.

I looked at Christopher's set-ups back on page 6 or so of this thread, and I think it is do-able to defend the rail line for 2 impulses. The units up there are safe from the air assault on the main front, and I think the Russians do have enough of them; I only commit enough units in Byelorussia and the Ukraine to get the factories out while the rest of the army retreats steadily.

Thus I have come around to wanting to demand the Borderlands in May/Jun of 1940, or perhaps Jul/Aug when you will have the best possible weather. Also in those turns the Germans will be less likely to spare a Combined impulse to send in some peacekeepers, or it will at least hinder them a little in France. All of the Russian planes should be nearby, with some divisions along the shore of the Baltic and Timoshenko somewhere in Karelia to threaten to take a non-Borderlands hex or even the Finnish resource. If the Germans decide to fight, you will need all of your offensive assets; if the threat is heavy enough they might cede the Borderlands without a fight.

So for me the largest question of all goes back to if the risk of losing two USE chits is worth it. To me, it is, but the possible delay in playing US Option 30, Lend-Lease to USSR, makes me think really hard. The Japanese can shut down the potential lend-lease routes in the Far East and even in Persia, irrespective of Russian decisions. Routes through the non-Persian Middle East are also potentially vulnerable to Axis activity, though if the Italians are dedicated to building an air force for Russia, these should be a bit safer, but limited to what can come from India - 2 BPs and some resources. Really the Russians need both routes going to survive past the critical summer of 1942, given a full Barbarossa with lots of Italian support. One problem is that in 1940 you don't know yet if the Axis is planning this.

[And I think as Germany I would just always make the Russians fight and take the USE gains for the good of the entire Axis and their long-term survival.]

So, what have you been thinking lately about a demand for the Finnish Borderlands?

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 299
RE: AI for MWiF - USSR - 8/18/2009 1:05:01 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

So with the recent re-play of an historically timed Winter War in MWiF, I've been thinking about the Russian AI and a Demand for the Borderlands. I think the question of this basic decision has only been discussed in passing in this thread for the most part. I've been trying to figure out how to shore up the Russians during a 1941 Barbarossa backed by a lot of Italian air, which is a very, very dangerous strategy for the Allies to handle; they should consider this possibility carefully until the fall of 1940 and German intentions are finally known for sure. I have decided the Russians will need to do everything they can to get two factories to Murmansk, and a major way to help that goal is to demand the Finnish Borderlands.

So how do you go about doing that? For me, an historical attempt in 1939 is right out. The biggest downside of all to demanding the Borderlands is possibly losing two US Entry chits, and those are too valuable in 1939, plus the weather will probably be atrocious.

Now, since your real goal is to keep the Axis away from the rail line to Murmansk for just the first turn of war, it works out OK for the Russians to go to full war with the Finns. I would probably definitely make a point of taking a non-Borderland hex so the war could never end. It will then be somewhat unlikely that the Axis can threaten the rail line as they will mostly be in the south defending Helsinki, and the few that aren't can probably be contained easily by cavalry divisions cutting their supply and this just about guarantees the safety of the rail lines. No one says you have to attempt to go all the way to Helsinki.

I looked at Christopher's set-ups back on page 6 or so of this thread, and I think it is do-able to defend the rail line for 2 impulses. The units up there are safe from the air assault on the main front, and I think the Russians do have enough of them; I only commit enough units in Byelorussia and the Ukraine to get the factories out while the rest of the army retreats steadily.

Thus I have come around to wanting to demand the Borderlands in May/Jun of 1940, or perhaps Jul/Aug when you will have the best possible weather. Also in those turns the Germans will be less likely to spare a Combined impulse to send in some peacekeepers, or it will at least hinder them a little in France. All of the Russian planes should be nearby, with some divisions along the shore of the Baltic and Timoshenko somewhere in Karelia to threaten to take a non-Borderlands hex or even the Finnish resource. If the Germans decide to fight, you will need all of your offensive assets; if the threat is heavy enough they might cede the Borderlands without a fight.

So for me the largest question of all goes back to if the risk of losing two USE chits is worth it. To me, it is, but the possible delay in playing US Option 30, Lend-Lease to USSR, makes me think really hard. The Japanese can shut down the potential lend-lease routes in the Far East and even in Persia, irrespective of Russian decisions. Routes through the non-Persian Middle East are also potentially vulnerable to Axis activity, though if the Italians are dedicated to building an air force for Russia, these should be a bit safer, but limited to what can come from India - 2 BPs and some resources. Really the Russians need both routes going to survive past the critical summer of 1942, given a full Barbarossa with lots of Italian support. One problem is that in 1940 you don't know yet if the Axis is planning this.

[And I think as Germany I would just always make the Russians fight and take the USE gains for the good of the entire Axis and their long-term survival.]

So, what have you been thinking lately about a demand for the Finnish Borderlands?

Why not use Archangel instead of Murmansk?

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF - USSR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI