Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME - 3/20/2009 10:50:08 PM   
FiReFTW

I just started playing but I have no clue how it works , I understand some basics but some things are just weird and I dont get them , for example when you go to production its very complicated , you cant choose units and remove them and choose other units to produce and also looks very weird and confusing...
Also how come when I play Axis I seem to have NO production at all almost and everything while the USSR builds such huge amounts of production and units its unbeatable to even think about stoping them , I beat them in a battle then next turn they supply their front with 2 times more units ....
Post #: 1
RE: I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME - 3/21/2009 12:36:52 AM   
Lucky1

I know this might amount to little help, but it REALLY is crucial in this game to read the manual and to play the tutorials. Initially, you may even wish to play without advanced supply, just to get a feel for production etc. This game does model (to a quasi-realistic extent) the demographic and industrial realities of the war - namely that Germany and Japan faced nations vastly larger populations and industrial capacity, but who were also relatively unprepared for war. So, compared to some games like Axis and Allies that are not too complex, AWD is definitely more difficult by a whole order of magnitude. The 'devil is in the detail' in this game and unless you take the time to get familiar with the intricacies, your gaming experience will be less than satisfactory. However, if you take the time to get familiar with the game mechanics it will provide much entertainment (I have played it on and off for a couple of years).

< Message edited by Lucky1 -- 3/21/2009 6:24:26 AM >

(in reply to FiReFTW)
Post #: 2
RE: I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME - 3/21/2009 5:07:16 AM   
WanderingHead

I think the best approach is

1. read the manual in detail (the regular manual, not Global Glory which comes with patches).
2. play Total War against the AI with simple supply. Playing as WA is good because you are on the defensive, Germany can be the proactive one.
3. play TW against the AI with advanced supply. I'd suggest WA, then Germany, then Germany+Japan.
4. read the manual in detail.
5. play TW against the AI with advanced supply until that gets boring and you want a human opponent.
6. find a human opponent and play TW or one of the other scenarios . I am partial to Global Glory for more depth (and *really* read the Global Glory description before playing GG, it is important to understand the differences).

It is key to read the manual, and try things against the AI and see what the AI does and just get used to the mechanics. I would start with Total War because Global Glory has additional complications, which will be easy enough later when you are used to it but may be too much to start with.

Also, you needn't play all those games all the way to completion. I think I only got a few turns into my own first simple supply game before I canned it and started over with advance supply.

It takes a bit of emersion, but you'll likely get used to it and learn to love it!

< Message edited by WanderingHead -- 3/21/2009 5:09:19 AM >

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 3
RE: I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME - 3/21/2009 11:08:30 PM   
lkendter

Another key that helped me was leveling up.  My very first game was at easy with simple supply.  I played both sides once.  I then went to normal playing both sides once.  I then turned on fog of war, etc.  Going through the game adding a bit each time got me a good baseline.  I still need to try a couple with adv supply, but haven't gotten there since it does add a lot more planning...

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 4
RE: I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME - 4/4/2009 6:01:01 PM   
Lebatron

YouTube would be a great place to put a video tutorial. It wouldn't take much effort to show via example how to move and attack(plus amphib) then produce units etc. I guess since I'm suggesting it I'll volunteer. 

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to lkendter)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> I NEED HELP IN THIS GAME Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI