Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonizing the Stars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> Colonizing the Stars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonizing the Stars - 4/2/2010 6:38:10 PM   
JarlFrank

Hello,
I've just signed up because I really love Distant Worlds and think it's the best space 4x game since Master of Orion 2.
I'd like to post a link to my Let's Play thread of this wonderful game that I've started on the RPG Codex forums:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42561
It has many screenshots and I think I've convinced some people on the forums there to buy the game with this LP
Enjoy!
Post #: 1
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/2/2010 8:42:41 PM   
HsojVvad

Not bad. But the colourful language, could have been left off. Had to take it a bit less serious because of it. There is a time and place for colourfull language. I don't think this time is one of them. But otherwise, I liked it.

(in reply to JarlFrank)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/2/2010 9:38:38 PM   
JarlFrank

That's just the Codex forums, we like using that kind of language there.
It's also supposed to be a funny Let's Play, with lots of forum-specific in-jokes.

The awesome thing about this game is that I'm always discovering new elements of gameplay while I play. I'm really surprised by this game, since most space 4x games I've played after MoO2 have been rather disappointing.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/2/2010 10:43:01 PM   
HsojVvad

Yeah after reading more, I took it, that is how the forum works there. . Just we don't talk like that here so it took me off guard. Keep it up, good work. Espically when you put the pics in, it brings it more alive and easier to visulize.

(in reply to JarlFrank)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 8:42:38 AM   
Gertjan

I like it thusfar. Good job in attracting new players to the game. I'm hoping major wars will soon start. Good luck in defeating those larger empires and designing your own ships (if only the ai did a better job in it). I disagree with you on your opinion about Galciv2. I like it quite a lot. But you think Moo3 (modded) is even better, why?

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 11:23:02 AM   
lenin

You've done a good job over there on the Codex, JF. The Codex hates everything, yet you've created a very positive vibe.....

"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 6
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 12:14:17 PM   
JarlFrank

@Gertjan
I haven't played MoO3, it was someone else who said that he liked it more than Distant Worlds.

And yes, I have to agree that ship designing is one of the more annoying parts of the game, mostly because upgrading the ships isn't very well automated yet.

@Lenin
That the Codex hates everything is a myth ;)
We have a few users who automatically hate everything new, but nobody takes them seriously anymore.
Strategy games like this are usually met with positive reactions.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 7
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 4:05:37 PM   
licker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

I like it thusfar. Good job in attracting new players to the game. I'm hoping major wars will soon start. Good luck in defeating those larger empires and designing your own ships (if only the ai did a better job in it). I disagree with you on your opinion about Galciv2. I like it quite a lot. But you think Moo3 (modded) is even better, why?

I didn't say it either, but I would agree that MoO3 is better than DW *right now*.

Of course it's a bit apples and oranges to me, as certain design choices are simply too different to do a real comparison.

MoO3 is turn based with real time battles, and strat movement is done via star lanes. I prefer both of these to the systems in DW (similarly I absolutely love SotS, and strongly dislike GalCiv2). Where MoO3 and DW are similar is in the 'epic' nature of the games and in the automation of various aspects of your empire. Right now MoO3 has a much better ship design methodology, a deeper and more interesting tech tree, a more refined diplomacy system, and more varied and interesting victory conditions.

Of course DW is in it's infancy, and with updates and mods who knows where it will wind up.`

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 8
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 5:01:05 PM   
HsojVvad

I got tired of the star lanes to move from one system to another. It got boring really quickly. For me this limited how big space was. At least in DW, you can go anywhere you want. Even in the middle of now where. (now here. LOL sorry just pooped in my head from seeing a movie) In DW it really shows how fast Space can be, and so empty. You don't get that feeling in the Moo series. Worm holes I agree with, but star lanes, I find meh, Boring.

I guess we all like our own flavours eh?

I like Moo3 alot. Guess because I really love the Moo series, so I let it slip that it's not that great of a game, but it's MOO. DW grabbed me in right away, even with it's complexity and stuff I don't like with it. MOO3 never did this, and I had to force myself to like it because I was waiting for it for so LONG. Now with the user mods (patches) it made MOO3 playable wich it really wasn't playable as it came out right away.

(in reply to licker)
Post #: 9
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/3/2010 5:20:50 PM   
drillerman

Unfortunately my 11 year old was standing behind me when I clicked on your link. Maybe a bit of warning next time.
Thanks

Huh?

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 10
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/4/2010 8:26:48 AM   
Gertjan

I still dont understand why Moo3 is so loved, while many people really hated it so much. What causes these diverging opinions?
Why are diplomacy and ship design better in Moo3? How is ship combat in Moo3? Do you need to control it yourself or does the Ai also do a good job in automation?
I ask all these questions because I'm still very interested in Moo3, but I never tried it because of the horror stories. I dont like games in which you have to spend too much time designing your own ships and micromanaging ship combat.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 11
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/4/2010 7:16:22 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

I still dont understand why Moo3 is so loved, while many people really hated it so much. What causes these diverging opinions?
Why are diplomacy and ship design better in Moo3? How is ship combat in Moo3? Do you need to control it yourself or does the Ai also do a good job in automation?
I ask all these questions because I'm still very interested in Moo3, but I never tried it because of the horror stories. I dont like games in which you have to spend too much time designing your own ships and micromanaging ship combat.

Because it is MOO. Well for me at least. Yes there is alot of things wrong in the game, but it is the FIRST game that I know of that tried to be different. They tried to be on the Macro Scale. They gave us a 3D galaxay. Because they were the first to be different instead of following the Sid Miers Civilization route. So any mistakes they made were able to be taken lightly and forgiven.

If DW made these same mistakes from MOO 3, we can't be so forgiving now since it's been what 5, 8 years of release now? While many of the complaints of MOO 3 at the time was because people were playing like a Sid Meir Civ game, micro micro micro managemtent. People refuesed to play it any other way. So the name got a bad rep. While it's not the prettiest game, or the most fun, I still love the game. I can't put my finger on it. I guess once it was abonded by Atari and QuickSilver, the modding community namely Bhuric, fixed alot of the bugs in the game, and made it playable.

I am not to thrilled with the combat aspect of the game. I don't like how I can't pause combat. It's not very fun but I like the building aspect of the game. I like how in Moo3, a planet can be size 3 or size 12. With each size of planet you have regions, where you can build 2 DEAs or building like objects.

I love the customability when you make your own race in MOO3. Yes some parts are broken like the ground assault traits, but again the user patches fixed them. Darnifu (sorry forget his name, I know it starts with a D) made the user interface look nicer and prettier.

The main thing about MOO3 again, is it was the first 4X Space game that went on a Macro scale where the players did not accept it, and tried to play it like a micro game. Same can be said for Activisions Call 2 Power 2 game. It was set in a macro setting. I love that game as well, I find it better than Civ 3 and 4. But many will say they are horrible games.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 12
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/4/2010 10:11:02 PM   
BletchleyGeek

That AAR you've got going on the RPGCodex is just hilarious.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 13
RE: Colonizing the Stars - 4/5/2010 8:50:15 AM   
Gertjan

Davor, thanks for your reply. I'm still interested in Moo3, but not convinced ;). I may try it once I'm no longer interested in DW. Your example of the colonies and DEAs(?) seems very micro and not so much macro imho.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> Colonizing the Stars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI