Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombardment group never fires..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombardment group never fires.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 4:22:49 AM   
abulbulian

I'm guessing my BB bombardment group did not fire because it was attacked by air? It came from a high level port on t1 and reached it's destination of and now it's a 'Surface Combat' mission with 0 ops on all ships. So do I have to send it back to port to re-arm to bombard? If so, I'm not sure I agree with this logic as it was only attacked by a few weak groups of planes with all misses. That can't be enough to deter or expend all my BB's heavy guns ammo for bombarding???

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 9/12/2012 4:25:40 AM >

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 4:29:58 AM   
SqzMyLemon

Are you using waypoints? If so, don't. It screws up the bombardment routine. I had the same problem, the bombardment TF will reach the target, but not bombard because the waypoints somehow mess up the full speed run into the target. The TF arrives and leaves before the bombardment phase, hence no bombardment. I hope this helps and I'm pretty sure this is why you are having trouble.

Also, don't forget to assign float planes as spotter for your BB's, it makes the bombardment more effective.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 4:31:30 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Also, don't forget to assign float planes as spotter for your BB's, it makes the bombardment more effective.

How do you do this?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 4:33:57 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

I'm guessing my BB bombardment group did not fire because it was attacked by air? It came from a high level port on t1 and reached it's destination of and now it's a 'Surface Combat' mission with 0 ops on all ships. So do I have to send it back to port to re-arm to bombard? If so, I'm not sure I agree with this logic as it was only attacked by a few weak groups of planes with all misses. That can't be enough to deter or expend all my BB's heavy guns ammo for bombarding???

I agree with SqzMyLemon ... But...
Are you saying that there is now no ammo ? Did you have any to begin with? This sounds fishy to me.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 4:57:52 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Fallschrimjager- Put some FPs on recon, targeting the base. Hard to shoot when you don't really know what or where something is located :)

When I had read this some months back, I had decided my FPs were going to be Petes and Jakes and have stuck with this setup. (The Rufe is another thing altogether) When game kicks off, most of my Petes are training recon, with a stack of Daves back home training recon as well. The short range of the Pete isn't really an issue for force recon work.

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 9/12/2012 4:58:59 AM >

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 6:38:32 AM   
jmalter

look at your bombarding ships' ammo - if they've shot off most of their MA shells, they won't bomb.

the game can be kinda hinky when a TF confronts unexpected opposition, i scared off an IJ amphTF w/ 1 ML at Rangoon. they unloaded in an adjacent hex, that didn't work out so well for them.

but if your BombTF gives up on its mission, look at the flag-captain - did he have good Nav & Agg ratings?

another point is, how far away was the BombTF from its target at the beginning of the turn? if it spent a goodly amount of its 'ops points' moving into the target hex, it won't have enough left to execute the shoot. keep it as a SurfTF (do not retire) w/ destination 1 hex away from the target, when it arrives switch it to fullspeed BombTF (do not retire) & set the FPs to Night Recon your target hex (the bombardment will occur at Night). set the TF bomb range > than your max AA weapons, else they'll expend their AA ammo in the bomb & will be vulnerable to enemy air attack. next turn, adjust TFspeed to mission or cruise & switch the FPs back to normal daytime ops, as the TF retires to re-arm.

BombTF attacks usually occur at night, but when they're at mission or cruise speed they often won't expend all their ammo, especially if they've had to sail several hexes to the target.

(in reply to CyrusSpitama)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombardment group never fires.. - 9/12/2012 11:44:57 AM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

How do you do this?

Have one or two FP's on your capital ships set to Night Recon, and set the range to zero.

When the bombardment group arrives in the hex, the FP's will act as 'spotters' for your bombardment group, making the bombardment more effective.

Here is a example from my current AAR against Dirty Harry [Post #5]:-

Night Naval bombardment of Kuantan at 51,79

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 14 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim I: 4 damaged
Beaufort V (PR): 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
CA Atago
CA Takao
CL Jintsu
DD Hibiki
DD Akatsuki
DD Arashio
DD Michishio
DD Oshio
DD Asashio

Allied ground losses:
103 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 28 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 9 (2 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (4 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Airbase hits 26
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 75
Port hits 11
Port supply hits 5

F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for BB Kongo

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 9/12/2012 12:02:45 PM >

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombardment group never fires.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI