Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patch news

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Patch news Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patch news - 11/24/2006 4:09:33 PM   
HussarGames

A new patch is in development. It will contain bug fixes and the following new features:
- new realistic ruleset with halved readiness recovery rate
- cannons will get routed after a melee

We need ideas what else to put into the realistic rule set.

Post #: 1
RE: Patch news - 11/24/2006 6:42:46 PM   
Moltke71

Cannons should not rout after melee. Limbering was a long and cumbersome exercise. To save the guns, they should be pulled out before melee hit.

A substitution would be to have the gunners rout and not destroying the guns, allowing them to be re-manned.

On the whole, if guns are caught unlimbered in a melee, they should be destroyed.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 2
RE: Patch news - 11/24/2006 11:35:47 PM   
JamesLxx

I agree wholeheartedly!  Thats very true about the guns in a melee - unlimbered guns whos crew have been beaten should be destroyed, or captured by the winning side and added to the overall artilillery pool. 

< Message edited by JamesL -- 11/24/2006 11:42:27 PM >

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 3
RE: Patch news - 11/25/2006 12:01:57 AM   
JamesLxx

Also Melee's in general seem a bit indecisive in outcome and with very low casulties for the numbers involved. 

< Message edited by JamesL -- 11/25/2006 12:05:35 AM >

(in reply to JamesLxx)
Post #: 4
RE: Patch news - 11/26/2006 8:19:28 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

I have three suggestions.

1.Bad weather affects on ammunition loadouts. From my reading of the Revolution there were many instances of rain or snow resulting in wet gunpowder with disasterous results at times.

Perhaps if the weather is bad a random roll could be made giving a your army in a tactical battle a less than the standard ammo loadout. This could have significant tactical implications.

2.Another suggestion (mentioned before) would be some kind of 'activation roll' every turn for your leaders in tactical battles. If they fail the roll they can't move that turn (only applies to the leaders) or perhaps have limited movement abilities. Good leaders activate almost automatically but bad leaders (eg. attack + defense rating = 'initiative rating') are more problematic.

This would serve to put a greater emphasis on good leadership vs. bad. It would apply to the human player only and serve the double purpose of giving Alfred some additional assistance in the tactical battles.

3.Last suggestion would be to display an armies recon value somewhere. At present this is a totally unknown game factor and as such of little use to players. If you don't know what it is or what factors affect it then you quickly cease to worry about it. Given the attention to detail displayed elsewhere it would be an advantage to bring this feature up front and centre to make it part of the game. (which it is already but 'cause it's hidden in the inner workings of the game it's of no relevance to the player)

Full marks to the developers for their continual patching and improving.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to JamesLxx)
Post #: 5
RE: Patch news - 11/30/2006 4:36:36 PM   
HussarGames

Cannons and melee

The game is turn based and thus has limitations. In real life infantry could rarely charge cannons, unfortunately this can happen too often in the game. In the next patch cannons will rout when charged, simulating a hasty withdrawal and a loss of 1 cannon.

It is way too easy to kill cannons as it is, and making it even easier would be no improvement to the game.

Ammo load in bad weather

Already firepower is halved in rain or snow, so this is factored in.

Activation

Maybe....

Recon value

Cavalry is best for recon, infantry is normal and arty is bad. The bigger the army, the hogher the chance that recon will be successful. You can increase recon effectiveness by using multiple armies and recon detachments.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 6
RE: Patch news - 11/30/2006 6:09:42 PM   
Moltke71

So you're saying the turn is long enough for most of the guns to limber and run?

Jim Cobb

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 7
RE: Patch news - 11/30/2006 6:25:20 PM   
jimwinsor

I think that it makes sense not to make cannon so vulnerable, as there is no "stacking" in the game; an arty occupies one hex (and it has to be a front line hex, in order to have los to fire).  You can park infantry to either side of it...but not directly ON TOP of it, in order to protect it.  Thus it becomes unrealistically difficult to defend guns; in real life a commander would use nearby infantry to protect guns...but since only one unit can an occupy a hex, this is not really possible.  Letting the guns limber and withdraw like this seems like an acceptable game design solution to this problem.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 8
RE: Patch news - 12/1/2006 11:32:51 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

Another suggestion. Baggage/Supply trains. Many times in American revolutionary battles the baggage/supply trains were overrun when the battle turned pear shaped for a particular side, particularly when an army conducted a 'rapid retreat' voluntarily or otherwise.

In For Liberty you can continually retreat your army from a superior force with minimal adverse consequences. Which, if done properly, is how it should be. Many times, however, an army on the back foot routs more than retreats. While this is simulated in the game with autobattles I'd like to make a suggestion for the player controlled tactical battles.

Have an additional unit - the baggage/supply train. This is placed at the start of a battle the same as any other unit. The difference is that it is fixed in place for a set number of turns before it can retreat off the map. If the enemy captured the unit then the army who owned it would suffer short term adverse supply shortages. Eg. an immediate sudden drop reflecting the loss which is gradually replaced each turn thereafter.

This could serve to force a player / Alfred to defend a patch of ground for a set time period, an additional tactical consideration.

A couple of considerations would be that the baggage/supply train unit only occurs to an army defending (attackers are usually well in advance of their supply whereas defenders are falling back on theirs) and then at only random intervals to reflect the fact it was only at certain times that an armies supply train was situated close to the battlefield. It also wouldn't apply if defending a town or for armies under a certain size.

If nothing else it could generate greater variety in the tactical battles. As in... damn, where do I hide my supply train? How many troops do I allocate to defend it? Can I hold off the opposition until my supply train exits stage right? Do I sacrifice my supply/baggage train and instead save my heavily outnumbered army?

Whether this would create too big a programming overhead for Alfred only the developers can say.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 9
RE: Patch news - 12/1/2006 7:44:28 PM   
George40

For the advnaced rules:  activation checks and a chain of command in which subordiantes would be activated if the "stack commander" was activated.  Just a thought.
George

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 10
RE: Patch news - 12/2/2006 2:06:19 PM   
leandre

hello,

just one idea for the patch. when load a saved game, the save where always after the huge list of the autosave. this fact isn't pleasant and need to "code" the save as "11campaign" for example.

nice job for this game.(exception for the soundtrack whose too "synthétic")

(in reply to George40)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Patch news Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI