Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/5/2008 10:35:38 PM   
SMK-at-work

In one game I'm playing Belguium has been invaded by hte allies, & a couple of oddities have cropped up.

1/ Liege has no fortification value

2/ At one point Liege was the only hex still owned by Belgium, then the Germans counter attacked and took Brussels and 1 other hex.

then Liege was captured by the allies - and Belgium surrendered.

Do recaptured cities (eg Brussels in this case) not count for preventing surrender? Was it that Brussels was "German" and not "Belgian" that stopped it preventing the surrender?
Post #: 1
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/12/2008 1:35:28 AM   
Joel Rauber

I'm the opponent and can verify the accuracy of what SMK states.

Any relationship between what I say and reality is purely coincidental.

Joel Rauber

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 2
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/12/2008 1:58:25 AM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

In one game I'm playing Belguium has been invaded by hte allies, & a couple of oddities have cropped up.

1/ Liege has no fortification value

2/ At one point Liege was the only hex still owned by Belgium, then the Germans counter attacked and took Brussels and 1 other hex.

then Liege was captured by the allies - and Belgium surrendered.

Do recaptured cities (eg Brussels in this case) not count for preventing surrender? Was it that Brussels was "German" and not "Belgian" that stopped it preventing the surrender?

Wasn't Belgian neutrality guaranteed by Britain? If so, under what circumstances would Britain allow a violation of Belgium neutrality?

Post #: 3
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/12/2008 4:34:53 AM   
SMK-at-work

All's fair in love and war!!

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 4
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/30/2008 2:22:57 PM   
JCP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

Wasn't Belgian neutrality guaranteed by Britain? If so, under what circumstances would Britain allow a violation of Belgium neutrality?

Indeed, the Treaty of London, signed in 1839, committed Britain to preserving Belgian neutrality, and at that time the expected aggressor was France.

The French army did consider a pre-emptive invasion of Belgium in 1914, but the government rejected the idea precisely because they feared alienating the British. The British would hardly have declared war on France in that event, but they might well have remained more aloof from the Franco-German conflict than they did.

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 5
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/30/2008 9:23:46 PM   
wurger54

In a recent game I as the 3E went into Belgium as a respose to a Russia first CP strategy. I was disappointed that the negative impact was minimal. I would have thought there should have been major negatives involved, not only for Brit morale, but also American entry.

[/quote]
Indeed, the Treaty of London, signed in 1839, committed Britain to preserving Belgian neutrality, and at that time the expected aggressor was France.

The French army did consider a pre-emptive invasion of Belgium in 1914, but the government rejected the idea precisely because they feared alienating the British. The British would hardly have declared war on France in that event, but they might well have remained more aloof from the Franco-German conflict than they did.
[/quote]

(in reply to JCP)
Post #: 6
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/31/2008 8:11:32 AM   
SMK-at-work

Maybe British units shuold not be allowed to enter Belgian hexes if Belgium is at war with the UK?  Or perhaps remove the big mobilisation of 1915 or later reinforcements if it happens earlier?  

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 7
RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies - 3/31/2008 9:50:14 AM   
wargamer123

Also the ill reputation the Germans earned was in Belgium and France

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI