Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For Liberty!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> After Action Reports >> For Liberty! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 2:22:42 AM   
Ike99

I just bought this game. I bought it mainly as a filler game for when I'm waiting for PBEM turns in Uncommon Valor.

Because I bought it I suppose I should play it. Because there is not a lot of AAR's on this game for people to see what this game is about or even if it plays any good I will start this AAR. I`ll be finding out myself.

I do not know the history of this war and have only thumbed through the manual a few times. So you can laugh at my mistakes because I`m not sure what I`m supposed to be doing.

If I'm supposed to be attacking or defending and where I do not know because I don`t know the history.

So I`m starting really blind.

As it is 1775 though, I don`t have to worry about paratroops, carrier strikes and armored spearheads ruining my chances for victory in one or two turns before I learn the game...I think.

It's 1775 and a 6 year war so I think I'll be ¨OK¨ starting like this.

My settings are, realistic, with fog of war on.

edit- I`m using 1.75 patch.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 2:53:26 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 2:44:22 AM   
Ike99

June
Week One
Around Boston

The Tea has been thrown overboard. Death to King George! We are not paying British Royals with the profits from our sweat and Labor.

Give me Justice!

Let`s Hang King George from the highest tree...and all this...stuff.

Well...I look around the board and I see the Americans have encircled a group of British soldiers in Boston. I also note it seems almost everyone likes the idea of revolting in the colonies. So this is good.

In Canada seems the people like King George. (Am I supposed to fight the American revolution in Canada? )

Out west in the wild wilderness it seems the wild Indians like King George too.

So I´m thinking I defend what I got.

Looking at the Americans encircling the British at Boston. I leave them there but change some leaders.

I figure the British are profesional soldiers and the Americans not...but the Americans have fortifications

As well the good citizens of Boston do not like King George it seems. So no doubt they are not happy with British soldiers in their city so we have to try to liberate these people.

So I stay and bring up Arnold to reinforce the Americans there.

So here is turn one in the Boston area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 3:15:14 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 2
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 2:51:05 AM   
Ike99

June
Week One
West of Albany

Looking out west I see a lot of indian villages flying British flags, that`s really bad. I see west of Albany an American fort that might be in trouble. Just west and south of that fort is LOTS of indians loyal to the crown. I raise some militia and prepare to send them on their way.

Week one...west of Albany.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 3:37:56 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 3
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 3:34:23 AM   
Ike99

June
Week Two

Seems the British recieved reinforcements by ship in Boston. They moved northwest and attacked Sullivan and won a Battle.

I was afraid the British soldiers were very profesional and the Americans not. I thought the fortifications would help beat the British but they were too good with too many cannons. At first the battle was going fine but then the Americans starting running away.

So I have Sullivan and his beaten army retreat north towards Portsmouth. I move over Morgan to join Washington because at Plymouth the British fleet came up and shelled him from their ships.

Out west Wayne and his militia move out of Albany towards Gansevoort.

Besides this militia group I have raised no other troops. Looks like I have plenty money and men though so that's good.

I want to wait and see what the British will try to do before calling up soldiers.

I did notice Sullivan losing that battle increased British score by 300 points! That's a lot I think. So I don´t want to lose too many battles.

I do keep Washington where he is because I think with as many cannons and men as he has now with fortifications he should be ¨OK¨ for the moment. Maybe I`m wrong. I might lose 2 battles in a row. However I don´t want the British to drive down into New York, etc. So he will stay where he is.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 3:46:46 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 4
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 7:32:49 AM   
Ike99

June
Week Three
Around Boston

The war widens. A group of British calvary come out from Boston and go around the Americans and momentarily capture Providence. No zones of control in this game it seems. (I better look up how supply works)

I also noticed the calvary did not destroy the fortification when it rode through.

Grey returned to Boston. I thought he might follow Sullivan up to fight again.

Seeing this and the British in Boston...now with 86 cannon I thought it was a good time to leave.

Washington and company moved south and drove Rawdon south out of Providence killing 10 of his troopers in a minor skirmish.

Scott and Stirling are formed up with troops.

Noticing my cannon production is only three. I looked around and it seems I have only three cities capable of producing cannon. One being Springfield where I formed up Scott. I think I need all the cannon I can get so I better not let this city be captured.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 7:38:07 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 5
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 7:47:03 AM   
Ike99

June
Week Three
West of Albany

I knew there were going to be indians out here. There are too many tribes in this area.

Here they are where I guessed they`d be. It is really slow for Wayne going through the wilderness. If Gansevoort will be able to hold out until Wayne gets there I don´t know.

I check the indians info but it tells me nothing as to the number of them or their leader. Could be 300, could be 3,000. No idea.

I´m thinking Wayne with his troops and 6 cannons should suffice. Indians don`t have cannons or use them as far as I know.

We´ll see.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 7:49:28 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 6
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 11:25:21 PM   
Ike99

June
Week Four
Around Boston

Gage and the British come south out of Boston to attack Morgan. I did not give battle but simply retreated Morgan off the south edge of the board to join Washington and his army in Providence. Seems it still costed me 300 points though for a battle lost...

The British fleet then made another show shelling Washington and his Army.

Rawdon and his calvary rode around Washington and joined up with Gage north of Providence. Looks like then he got replaced, along with Murray. Those two are gone and two new British leaders in the area.

I brought Sullivan back down to threaten Boston. If this tactic will keep the British tied close to Boston don´t know. We´ll see.

I'm thinking this area might tie down into stalemate and that's fine with me for right now.

Ahhh...looks like Ferguson and Skinner were twins. They use the same face plate.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 11:51:25 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 7
RE: For Liberty! - 7/24/2007 11:32:55 PM   
Ike99

June
Week Four
West of Albany

This is an area I think I might be able to do something in. The indians came up but did not attack. They must not be strong enough or they would have attacked my fort.

I`m thinking Wayne and his men might give a try at attacking that Mohawk indian village in the near future.

On a side note...I really like the large fonts size used in this game. Too many companies are going with the high resolution to get those pretty pictures but they are making their fonts SO SMALL... Very hard on the eyes but here no problem. I like the whole ¨Big¨ look to the game actually. Except for the jump map/strategic overview map. As a strategic overview map it`s useless. Too small.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/24/2007 11:42:52 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 8
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 3:21:01 PM   
Ike99

July
Week One
Around Boston

Two large battles are fought in the Boston area this turn. The first between British General Grey with...

5,139 men
62 cannon

against Washington with...

6,520 men
37 guns

The battle was fought in the town of Providence and very close right up to the end but the British won it.

The Casulties

British
732 men
12 cannon

Americans
1,032 men
5 cannon

So Washington retreats south. Meanwhile British calvary ride around and capture Plymouth & Newport.

The second battle happened north of Boston between British General Murray with...

2,880 men
28 cannon
with about 8,000+ militia it seemed.

against Sullivan with...

4,705 men
6 cannon

This battle was no contest and Sullivan was easily beaten. He was heavily outnumbered and his men seemed in really bad need of training. Some of his troops could only shoot one time a turn, I`ll have to look through the rule book on that.

Casulties....

British

152 men
6 cannon

American

265 men
6 cannon

So now I`m thinking I retreat. I don´t think there is a choice. I`m not strong enough to fight the British now. I did look at the rulebook after running Morgan off the board awhile back that costed me 300 points and a battle lost. Seems I can set the Armies to retreat. Hopefully that will set the American Armies to retreat and not fight a battle if attacked. Maybe I can avoid anymore 300 point battles lost when I don´t really want to fight. So the American Armies are going to be set to retreat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/25/2007 3:22:22 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 9
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 3:25:19 PM   
Ike99

July
Week One
Around Boston

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/25/2007 3:26:26 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 10
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 3:39:49 PM   
Ike99

July
Week One
West of Albany
(In the Mohawk river Valley)

I was thinking Gansevoort and his little fort might hold out until Wayne arrived but it wasn´t meant to be. About 1,000 indians stormed the fort and won easy. I think Waynes going to wip them though. Still have my eyes on that Mohawk Village.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 11
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 3:42:59 PM   
Ike99

July
Week One
West of Albany
(In the Mohawk river Valley)

Wayne has the men to beat what I saw of the indians.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/25/2007 3:43:18 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 12
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 3:48:32 PM   
themattcurtis

I love the little bubbles on the screenshots. "I hate white invaders"

The rulebook does say most American troops will need LOTS of training before they have any hope of standing up to the Redcoats.

Reminds me of Mel Gibson shaking his head in "The Patriot." And me waiting for Heath Ledger to die, die DIE already.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 13
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 4:00:46 PM   
Ike99

July
Week One
(National Zeal 61)

After registering 4 battles lost in 5 weeks and looking like we all will be hung for treason against the crown soon...some are jumping off ship and into the lifeboats....men are deserting the revolutionary army.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/25/2007 4:02:00 PM >

(in reply to themattcurtis)
Post #: 14
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 4:24:50 PM   
Ike99

Game Design Note

After getting a glimpse of the indian chief I´m fighting I noticed his name was ¨Thayendaga¨

I thought this was just some Bullsh!t name Hussar Games invented but Noooooo....did a quick search and here he is.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/25/2007 4:25:13 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 15
RE: For Liberty! - 7/25/2007 4:54:32 PM   
James Ward

Here is how I fight the Brits. You can't fight them early with militia.
Build as many regulars and train them to the max (60). I usually build 2 infantry and 1 artillery at a time with a general who has the Trainer trait. Put them far from New England at the start. Good spots are Philly, Baltimore and farther South. Use influence to buy weapons and artillery when they beocmoe available. Once they are trained begin to assembly an army under 3-4 good Generals.
If you fight tactical battles take your army (it should be larger than the British army you are fighting) and attack whenever it looks like you can get at least a draw. Get your supply, morale and effectivness as high as possible before the fight (using influence can help a lot). The goal is to whittle down the British unit strength, morale and effectivness. Try to get the Brits out of supply before you attack OR try to bait them into attacking in winter months. If you can attack the same army turn after tun with one or more 'fresh' armies they will collapse and you will begin to see British unit surrender after the battle.
Try to garrison every city with dual loyalties or they may switch on you, NY can be a particularly painful city to lose this way. The British WILL invade in the South or Mid-Atlantic so make sure you build some forces there to at least contain their advances until you can assemble an army to oppose them.
It's not easy to beat the British early, expect to lose almost every fight in the first year. Don't worry to much about the VP's as you can gain them back later once your army is large and experianced.
Good luck.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 16
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 6:59:09 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Two
Around Boston

Clinton comes north and attacks Sullivans beaten and battered army. Another British Victory.

Washington retreats south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 17
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 7:04:11 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Two
Around Boston

So says the rulebook...

quote:

Training – If the experience level of an army is below 60, this stance will be available, and will increase the experience of the unit by 1 per week it remains in this stance.

Experience – firepower and melee strength of units in the army, which is proportional to its experience. Experienced units also have a lesser chance to get routed.

Washington,s army has neither good training or rest. So he runs...and Sullivan is in even worse condition.

More men deserted the Army this week.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 18
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 7:07:24 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Two
In the Mohawk river Valley

Not all bad news this week though. Wayne did meet up with those Indians and beat them in battle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 19
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 7:10:36 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Two
In the Mohawk river Valley

Plans are for Wayne to keep driving and capture that Mohawk village.

I have noticed in this game if your men are not well trained and rested, you don´t have anything. Unit quality seems VERY important, not numbers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 20
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 4:26:07 PM   
James Ward

"I have noticed in this game if your men are not well trained and rested, you don´t have anything."

It is very important. It directly effect the munber of MP's you have which translates into how many shots per turn you can get off and the causalties you cause.

"Unit quality seems VERY important, not numbers."

Number can be important. There is nothing worse then firing your last shot half way through the fight :)

Building high experianced full strength units takes a long time but it can be done.
There are basically two ways to get an 80+ experianced unit. You can try to limit the number of losses a unit gets in a battle so when you add replacements the experiance doesn't drop much or you can use the disband feature to combine two highly experianced units. If you can get a core group of full strength 80+ experianced units you can really kick butt.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 21
RE: For Liberty! - 7/26/2007 6:58:42 PM   
Ike99

July
Week Three

In the Boston area Sullivans exhausted army retreats north to Portsmouth. I was hoping the British wouldn´t follow me up but Clinton & Murray did...with 9,000 men and 15 cannons. Set his Army to retreat if attacked. The British force is made up of mostly badly trained militia.

South of Boston the situation went unchanged. In the Mohawk River valley the same. Seeing Waynes readiness very low I think they need a break before continuing to that Mohawk village. His men also need training badly. His 6 cannon had a massive experience of ¨10¨

Those guys shouldn't have even been allowed to touch a cannon much less operate one in a battle. But at the time Wayne attacked those indians I wasn`t sure exactly what experience was nor did but now I do. So there in a pretty pitiful state. I was wondering why that cannon couldn`t hit those indians.

Once Waynes men readiness recovers though I will keep driving to that Mohawk village.

In New York I called up 2 Regiments and a militia unit and placed them under Smallwood for 2 reasons. One, because James Ward said here I need to insure that city doesn´t flip sides. It has mixed loyalty. The other because of Smallwoods training ability. I`m going to have to start building a professional Army if I`m going to be able to win battles here in the east.

National Zeal is 61.

I found out that ¨battle¨ Wayne won against the Indians was actually considered an ¨engagement¨ and I was only givin 100 points for it. Not 300.

The British have 7,700 points
The Americans have 7,700 points

There have been 1,953 American casualties and 15 cannon lost in 7 weeks. The British have lost 1,368 men, 10 cavalry and 14 cannons.

Been nice to have seen this game include the French and Indian War too.

Got the name wrong in the Pic...it`s Clinton and Murray. Morgan is American.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/26/2007 7:01:30 PM >

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 22
RE: For Liberty! - 7/27/2007 12:48:25 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Four
North of Boston

Clinton again moves to attack Sullivan. I had Sullivans army set to retreat I believe but he did not retreat. As such I was forced to give battle. I already new what the outcome was going to be but tried to cause as many British casulties as I could.

How far will the British chase me? To Canada?

In the south Washington and companies positions do not change and the British do not attack. That's good. They need the rest and the training.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/27/2007 12:49:58 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 23
RE: For Liberty! - 7/27/2007 12:51:54 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Four
North of Boston

How far will Clinton go?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 24
RE: For Liberty! - 7/27/2007 12:56:16 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Four
The Mohawk River Valley

I got greedy on this one. I wanted to get to that Mohawk village and burn it to the ground so much it costed me a fight. I knew I should have waited...but I didn`t. I did have fewer casulties but morale is what counts. British score another victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 25
RE: For Liberty! - 7/27/2007 1:00:57 AM   
Ike99

July
Week Four
The Mohawk River Valley

As Waynes beaten force falls back I recruit some riflemen. Perfect for this indian war I think and send them down to reinforce Wayne. Notice the 3 space movement by Spencer. Leader bonus. You see, I`ll figure this game out before I lose...I hope.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/27/2007 1:04:23 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 26
RE: For Liberty! - 7/27/2007 1:02:42 AM   
Ike99

July
Week 4

Don´t worry keep the faith! News for the week...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/27/2007 1:05:17 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 27
RE: For Liberty! - 7/28/2007 1:13:38 AM   
Ike99

August-Week 1-1775

British General Clinton again moves north closing in on Portland fighting and winning another battle against Sullivan. These are not really battles now but rather a series of routes as Sullivans Army is so exhausted.

British lose 21 men
Americans 115

I`m thinking it really needs about 5-6 months rest and training before his Army will worth anything again. Once Clinton gets Portland I`m thinking...where will Sullivan get supplies from?

South of Boston British General Grey drives out Stirling from Norwich. Sterling retreats southwest and joins Washingtons Army who have been resting. This is perhaps a small opportunity. Grey just fought a battle. The forces are somewhat even and Washingtons men are probably fresher. If I have Washington attack I MIGHT be able to squeeze out a real battle victory. I`m debating.

During the battle at Norwich and being so heavily outgunned in cannons yet having cavalry the option was obvious. Charge his guns!

It worked for a brief moment and they routed a few cannon while destroying some. Having infantry support however and more guns the cavalry paid a high price for the glorious calvary charge. 90 horsemen lost, their morale broken and then running off the map, then the battle ended. British victory.

Nothing happened in the Mohawk River Valley as Wayne and his men rest. Those Rangers did join up with him though.

Game Comment- On these tactical battles. The way the morale system works is quite good. When a unit breaks and runs this effects other units close by driving down their morale who in turn may also run. This may drive down other units morale close by causing them to run! So you get like a chain reaction event. I`ve read about battles of the period how fear was infectious in them and you can certainly see it in this game. Enemy units seeing their opposition running away are given a morale bonus as well. So when one side starts beaking they REALLY start breaking!

Ahh...yes. I upgraded to the 1.81 patch.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 28
RE: For Liberty! - 7/28/2007 1:18:03 AM   
Ike99

August-Week 1-1775
Strategic Overlook

To get a better understanding for anyone reading on what I'm talking about and how all this ties together I`ve made this map.

Game Comment- I would have liked to have had an accesible 3rd, ¨strategic overview map¨ set to about this scale with the in game units on it to help get my bearings in the game but it doesn`t come with one. The little jump map you can access next to the panel on the left is fine for jumping around the map but the scale is zoomed out so much that as a strategic overview map it`s pretty useless.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 29
RE: For Liberty! - 7/28/2007 4:53:47 PM   
Ike99

August-Week 2-1775
Victory at Norwich

After debating with myself if I should attack the British at Norwich and looking Washingtons Army over well I decided to attack.

Washingtons Army consisted of

7,403 Infantry
873 cavalry
59 cannons

...and I must say such a large Continental army looked mighty impressive setting up on the field.

Greys Army consisted of

3,629 Infantry
281 cavalry
38 guns

I held a decent numerical advantage against the British but these were Redcoats and so far these guys had thrashed me around like a child. This was not to be the case this battle. Washingtons Army was well rested and the British had just pushed Stirling out of Norwich the turn before. I had 3 of my best leaders combined. Washington, Morgan & Putnam. I also got a good initial setup against the British. The battle lasted 34 turns and over this time the Continentals really pounded the British. The Redcoats never did entirely break and run. At the end of the battle we were reduced to Bayonet charges back and forth as the ammunition was gone and they were getting the better of them. Still though...the Continentals won a major engagement and really bloodied the British.

British Casualties

1,736 Infantry
9 cavalry
7 guns

American Casualties

622 Infantry
37 Cavalry
2 guns

A big win for the Americans. I needed one badly as the British had won every battle up to this point and ran away with the scoring. National zeal had crashed as well. After this victory national zeal sits at 58.

So Washingtons army marches into Norwich in triumph. North of Boston Sullivan continued to run from Clinton. I`ll have him run to Fort Western. In the Mohawk River Valley Wayne and his men still sit resting in front of 1,000 angry indians.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 7/28/2007 5:02:35 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> After Action Reports >> For Liberty! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI