Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE riddles to be solved

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AE riddles to be solved Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE riddles to be solved - 8/6/2020 11:57:35 PM   
wga8888

AE Riddles
Yes there is a manual; many concepts are introduced but many details are often lacking. It is hard to figure out via experimentation when I am expected to send 1 or 2 turns a day. If I guess wrong, game may be lost. Playing the Guadalcanal Scenario both vs AI and PBEM. As game(s) are in progress, no strategy advice is requested. I seek to understand game mechanics; what is an is not possible in the application.

1) I have a base (Milne Bay) defended by LCUs. Opponent has invaded the hex with LCUs. Opponent can send in a TF and successfully naval bombard my LCUs. When I send in a TF to bombard, no actual bombardment attack is made. Is it possible to naval bombard enemy LCUs in a friendly base hex or are LCUs immune from naval bombardment attacks if hex has an enemy base in it? Air bombardment works but such is less effective than a naval bombardment by a powerful TF.
2) I would like to send more supply or LCUs to Milne Bay but transport TFs sent there keeps retreating; cycling moving to and away from Milne during the turn. [Opponent controls and has bases in teh Solomon Sea/Bismark Sea]. The presence of a friendly surface and Air Combat TF nearby did not seem to help in the following turn. Perhaps they have to sail together to Milne Bay? Do I need to use an Amphibious TF instead of the Transport TF? Is there some setting that could be derailing my efforts? May not be a work out as both what opponent and I do each turn is a chess match and a guessing game.
3) In the above case I do have the option to try to evacuate or reinforce my LCUs in Milne Bay, but a TF would have to be able to get there without automatically turning around. DOS Pacific War had an Evacuation TF mission which is lacking in WITP and AE.
4) I have a base with inland level 5+ airbase (Charters Towers), with adequate aviation support which has dropped down to 100 supply. It is one hex away with a rail link to another base hex with 20K+ supply (Townsville). No supply makes it to the Charter Towers in the last five turns and air groups there transition from serviceable planes to maint’d/damaged status. How to I get supply to Charter Towers? Does Charter Towers just draw supply from Townsville and never reside in the hes? I moved the Fifth Air HQ there but has not yet had an impact.
5) Efate has a Level 6 airbase with lots of aviation support and supply. I built up the airbase size over many turns then started moving B17 g roups there from Noumea as Efate offers more targets in the B17s 23 hex range given it is closer to the Solomons. However all groups sent there rapidly have there planes convert from serviceable to maint/damaged status. I am sending more supply there to see if that helps

Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Post #: 1
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 12:19:20 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: wga8888

AE Riddles
Yes there is a manual; many concepts are introduced but many details are often lacking. It is hard to figure out via experimentation when I am expected to send 1 or 2 turns a day. If I guess wrong, game may be lost. Playing the Guadalcanal Scenario both vs AI and PBEM. As game(s) are in progress, no strategy advice is requested. I seek to understand game mechanics; what is an is not possible in the application.

1) I have a base (Milne Bay) defended by LCUs. Opponent has invaded the hex with LCUs. Opponent can send in a TF and successfully naval bombard my LCUs. When I send in a TF to bombard, no actual bombardment attack is made. Is it possible to naval bombard enemy LCUs in a friendly base hex YES or are LCUs immune from naval bombardment attacks if hex has an enemy base in it? Air bombardment works but such is less effective than a naval bombardment by a powerful TF. Maybe not more effective lots of variables here
2) I would like to send more supply or LCUs to Milne Bay but transport TFs sent there keeps retreating; cycling moving to and away from Milne during the turn. [Opponent controls and has bases in teh Solomon Sea/Bismark Sea]. The presence of a friendly surface and Air Combat TF nearby did not seem to help in the following turn. Perhaps they have to sail together to Milne Bay? Change your threat tolerances for the task forces, use amphibious to unload over beaches and ports smaller than size 3, don't exceed port docking limits generally Do I need to use an Amphibious TF instead of the Transport TF? Is there some setting that could be derailing my efforts? May not be a work out as both what opponent and I do each turn is a chess match and a guessing game.
3) In the above case I do have the option to try to evacuate or reinforce my LCUs in Milne Bay, but a TF would have to be able to get there without automatically turning around. DOS Pacific War had an Evacuation TF mission which is lacking in WITP and AE. Fast transport load troops or Amphibious TF load troops - pickup troops find base select unit, careful as it can be funky as there are lots of variables
4) I have a base with inland level 5+ airbase (Charters Towers), with adequate aviation support which has dropped down to 100 supply. It is one hex away with a rail link to another base hex with 20K+ supply (Townsville). No supply makes it to the Charter Towers in the last five turns and air groups there transition from serviceable planes to maint’d/damaged status. How to I get supply to Charter Towers? Does Charter Towers just draw supply from Townsville and never reside in the hes? I moved the Fifth Air HQ there but has not yet had an impact. Read manual on supply, bring up hotkey screen find supply hotkey button, press it, refer back to manual
5) Efate has a Level 6 airbase with lots of aviation support and supply. I built up the airbase size over many turns then started moving B17 g roups there from Noumea as Efate offers more targets in the B17s 23 hex range given it is closer to the Solomons. However all groups sent there rapidly have there planes convert from serviceable to maint/damaged status. I am sending more supply there to see if that helps Not enough information given.

(in reply to wga8888)
Post #: 2
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 1:30:18 AM   
RangerJoe

Yes, the manual has the answers to your questions.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 8:21:23 AM   
Ian R

Bill, more on your point 3 - there is an evacuation TF mission, although it's not called by the same name.

Set up a fast transport TF (and simple amph TF's may or may not do this, I forget.

Instead of loading troops at the TF's base, there is a button down near the bottom of the TF window that brings up a list of every ground unit you have on the map that it can go and get.

You order the list by base name (easiest way) and pick one (1) unit for that TF to collect.

It will go in a high speed at night, pick up as much as it can, and run before daylight. The type of cargo capacity you have in the TF will determine what you get - squads or heavy equipment.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 2:22:22 PM   
RangerJoe

I wonder if he looked in the manual yet to try and find the answers. If he responds yes . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 2:36:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Bill, more on your point 3 - there is an evacuation TF mission, although it's not called by the same name.

Set up a fast transport TF (and simple amph TF's may or may not do this, I forget.

Instead of loading troops at the TF's base, there is a button down near the bottom of the TF window that brings up a list of every ground unit you have on the map that it can go and get.

You order the list by base name (easiest way) and pick one (1) unit for that TF to collect.

It will go in a high speed at night, pick up as much as it can, and run before daylight. The type of cargo capacity you have in the TF will determine what you get - squads or heavy equipment.

Fast transport TFs can only be done with certain ships, not all amphibs. You have to set the FT TF destination before you get the "pick up troops" button. If you have multiple units in the hex you need to scroll through them until the one you want to pick up is showing.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 3:09:22 PM   
Alfred

Section 6.3.3.4 of the manual is titled "Naval Evacuations". Hard to see how one could claim AE lacks such a mission order if the manual has actually been searched.

Alfred

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 3:22:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Section 6.3.3.4 of the manual is titled "Naval Evacuations". Hard to see how one could claim AE lacks such a mission order if the manual has actually been searched.

Alfred

I believe that he went from WITP to WITP:AE without reading the manual then wonders why he can't figure things out. Then he asks for help.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 3:30:12 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Alfred

I believe that he went from WITP to WITP:AE without reading the manual then wonders why he can't figure things out. Then he asks for help.

Nah that surely can't be the case for he has been at pain to often inform us that he has specifically read the AE manual. Said almost as often as how experienced he is in classical WITP.

I for one am deeply in his debt for his tireless and constant testing to discover AE game mechanics. Without his contribution I would be totally clueless about AE.

Alfred

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 4:56:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Alfred

Nah that surely can't be the case for he has been at pain to often inform us that he has specifically read the AE manual. Said almost as often as how experienced he is in classical WITP.

I for one am deeply in his debt for his tireless and constant testing to discover AE game mechanics. Without his contribution I would be totally clueless about AE.

Alfred

LOL!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/7/2020 8:16:21 PM   
rustysi

TBH, all of you problems seem to be 'mechanical' or procedural. Screen shots would definitely be of value, otherwise we would all be guessing.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 11
RE: AE riddles to be solved - 8/10/2020 1:55:33 AM   
Bodei

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Thanks, good tip!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AE riddles to be solved Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI