Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The walking dead.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The walking dead. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 1:59:06 AM   
rodney727

I was shocked on how many of the actors are from the UK. I love the show. Is it a big hit in England proper?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Post #: 1
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 2:45:50 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I was totally suprised by "Rick's" accent.  His american accent is good.  I about fell over.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 2
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 3:00:01 AM   
rodney727

I did too!

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 9:55:15 AM   
PunkReaper

It's a big hit in our house..... The original graphic novel is pretty good as well....
It's strange that some actors that were in British tv series a while ago seem to disappear for a while then suddenly reappear in a US hit show... Kudos to them.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 4
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 12:32:19 PM   
wodin

It's a huge hit mate. Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent. As whenever a American actor does an English actor it's usually very obvious as it sounds nothing like any English accent. Rick the Governer (which is crazy because he is unrecognizable from the comedy series Men behaving badly..google or youtube it)and the character that was in the firsts series and back in a couple of series ago are all English.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/31/2013 12:34:34 PM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 5
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 2:53:34 PM   
PunkReaper

Americans doing British accents usually speak upper class, I've been to Eton or Harrow school accents, nothing like the regional accents that dominate British society.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 3:22:38 PM   
wodin

I'm thinking of "Marwy Popens as I wiv an breave" and also Keanu Reeves in Dracula..

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 7
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 3:23:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent.

It really depends on the actor. Some pull off a flawless American accent. Others have a perpetually 'muddied' accent-the type that sets off your 'fake accent' radar early and often. A few-Ewan McGregor in "Blackhawk Down" springs to mind-have occasional snatches of conversation that jar your ear and make you question the authenticity of the accent in fits and starts.

The explosion of English actors in American productions is, honestly, somewhat troubling to me. Don't we have enough American actors for these sorts of things? Well, I'm at least glad that we can turn the tables on occasion and have fine American actors / actresses doing English characters too. Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady" comes to mind. How did English English speakers find her accent? Now, when will Brad Pitt do "Winston Churchill"?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 4:05:50 PM   
PunkReaper

Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady"..... Nooooooo don't start me going. Haven't watched it. Nuff said.

< Message edited by Punk Reaper -- 3/31/2013 4:06:18 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 4:44:28 PM   
wodin

We are cheaper to hire...thats why there was a sudden influx of British actors over in the States.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent.

It really depends on the actor. Some pull off a flawless American accent. Others have a perpetually 'muddied' accent-the type that sets off your 'fake accent' radar early and often. A few-Ewan McGregor in "Blackhawk Down" springs to mind-have occasional snatches of conversation that jar your ear and make you question the authenticity of the accent in fits and starts.

The explosion of English actors in American productions is, honestly, somewhat troubling to me. Don't we have enough American actors for these sorts of things? Well, I'm at least glad that we can turn the tables on occasion and have fine American actors / actresses doing English characters too. Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady" comes to mind. How did English English speakers find her accent? Now, when will Brad Pitt do "Winston Churchill"?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 4:48:06 PM   
rodney727

Yes. AMC is getting very rich tho. Mad men, breaking bad are fantastic too.
quote:

We are cheaper to hire...thats why there was a sudden influx of British actors over in the States.
quote:

quote:

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 4:59:23 PM   
rodney727

Do you have any trouble understanding any part of other people's accents in the UK? For example for me I have a hard time understanding people who have thick southern or thick northeastern accents in the states.
quote:

It's a huge hit mate. Funny enough I always wonder if the American audience can spot it's an english actor doing an America accent. As whenever a American actor does an English actor it's usually very obvious as it sounds nothing like any English accent. Rick the Governer (which is crazy because he is unrecognizable from the comedy series Men behaving badly..google or youtube it)and the character that was in the firsts series and back in a couple of series ago are all English.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 5:24:58 PM   
wodin

erm...not really, the odd accent if very thick can be hard to understand like Glaswegian. Most accents are fine to get to grips with. A new accent over here is Caribbean yardie speak that young seem to use..well young in gangs anyway.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 13
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 6:20:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Meryl Streep as the "Iron Lady"..... Nooooooo don't start me going. Haven't watched it. Nuff said.

Hey, if we can have Daniel Day Lewis doing Abraham Lincoln and whatshisname doing US Grant in the same flick, you can have Meryl Streep doing Thatcher. So, what American actor would do Churchill?

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 14
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 6:46:08 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

Hey, if we can have Daniel Day Lewis doing Abraham Lincoln and whatshisname doing US Grant in the same flick, you can have Meryl Streep doing Thatcher. So, what American actor would do Churchill?

How about Sean Connery? Oh, wait... He's Scotsman!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 7:11:25 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

quote:

I have no problem with actors playing different nationalities provided they can play the part well. Meryl Streep is such an actress. My problem is with films that distort the history in order to make a more exciting story. Look at Braveheart and how that totally inaccurate movie has stoked Scottish nationalism for years.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 16
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 7:20:01 PM   
Darkspire

Spike, Buffy. I thought he was British (I am a Londoner, born and bred), was surprised to find he was an American.

Darkspire

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 17
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 8:26:00 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

How about Sean Connery? Oh, wait... He's Scotsman!

So is Ewan McGregor...

Just sayin... is all

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 18
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 9:47:29 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Spike, Buffy. I thought he was British (I am a Londoner, born and bred), was surprised to find he was an American.

Darkspire

Really? I thought it was OKish...Christian Bale can pull it off well.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 19
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 11:40:31 PM   
DivePac88

It's actually really easy for a us Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis to sound like Americans. All we basically have to do; is slow our speech down, talk really really loudly, and say very stupid things.

< Message edited by DivePac88 -- 4/1/2013 12:32:09 AM >

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: The walking dead. - 3/31/2013 11:41:59 PM   
Terminus

You're getting the American spelling right, too...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 21
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 12:24:11 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You're getting the American spelling right, too...

Thats prob down to spell checkers constantly telling you you misspelled a word because you used the English version..esp browsers..sometimes I just click change in the end without thinking.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 22
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 4:17:22 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I couldn't tell that Rick was english, until later on when he was interviewed. Tonights final for the season was kind of a let down.
quote:

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 23
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 11:17:57 AM   
demyansk

This show is on the the time
Question
To start watching this show, can you pick it up by just watching the episodes or do you need to start from the beginning? Like the resident evil movies, its better to start from the beginning.

thanks

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 24
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 1:45:00 PM   
wodin

No spoilers

You need to watch them from season 1...I really wouldn't recommend jumping in on a later season..oh and season 2 is slow...real slow..but the end is worth it..season 3..great right through..season 1 acting is poor at first but it gets better.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/1/2013 1:46:59 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 25
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 2:17:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

It's actually really easy for a us Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis to sound like Americans. All we basically have to do; is slow our speech down, talk really really loudly, and say very stupid things.

Aye. Like a true Brit, Aussie, Dane or Kiwi what you say after you slow down your speech and enunciate isn't worth the wait or worth being heard.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 26
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 2:18:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Christian Bale can pull it off well.

Indeed. I was gobsmacked (that's the right term, idnit?) to discover recently that he's a bleedin' Limey! Woulda never guessed it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 4:12:00 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I loved the part in Godzilla (1998) where Jean Reno is leading his team of French soldiers in New York. He says something like "we need to look American" so he gives them each a stick of gum to chew.

Jamie Bamber as Apollo in Battelstar Galactica has our American accent down pat too.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 28
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 4:14:17 PM   
wodin

Just watched the finale..can see what you mean..not sure what to think of it..only lots of deaths next season. (hopefully)

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 29
RE: The walking dead. - 4/1/2013 4:49:04 PM   
Hanal

I liked the finale and I am always surprised at how the show is veering farther away from the comic at each turn...sometimes I wonder if they think the comic book storyline will just not translate well onto the screen....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The walking dead. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI