Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defending Gibraltar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Defending Gibraltar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defending Gibraltar - 2/17/2014 1:51:31 PM   
alexvand

So I've reached the point in my solitaire game where the CW realizes that Germany may be going for Gibraltar through Spain. (One of the hard parts of playing solitaire! Keeping secrets!)

What is the CW's best move to defend the Rock?

Some obvious elements:
1) 2 White print units on the Rock plus the best Div sized unit you can find. (Already done.)
2) Additional white print unit sitting on a transport ready to sail in.
3) Try to build some forts. (Already may be too late for that though.)

How much to commit to Spain? Where?
How much and what to North Africa?
How long do you send the fleet in to die vs the Axis air power?
At what point do you pack it in to save your fleet and troops to defend England vs a potential Sea Lion?
What other tactics do you employ to hold the Rock as longs as possible?
Post #: 1
RE: Defending Gibraltar - 2/17/2014 2:14:50 PM   
Orm

My quick thoughts on this. They are not sorted in priority order.

1) Defend the mountain hex NE of Gibraltar with 2 white print units, if possible. These units should not be Spanish. Holding this hex denies German the possibility of stacking ART units here.
2) If Germany attacks Spain in strength along all of the Pyrenees (no Vichy) then it is hard to defend Spain. In fact it is close to impossible. I would then defend Bilbao and Barcelona. In the rest of Spain I would just attempt to delay the advance. Before mainland Spain falls I would get as many Spanish units as possible to Spanish Morocco (or get them out of mainland Spain) so they do not get removed when Spain is conquered.
3) Consider placing a HQ in Tangier for defensive HQ support.
4) Empty (organized) TRS in Cape St Vincent can be used to reorganize units in Gibraltar.
5) ART and AA units located east of Tangier can give support to Gibraltar.
6) If playing with the option Defensive Shore Bombardment then a lot of BBs should be available in high sea boxes in Cape St Vincent.
7) Constantly reinforce Morocco and Spanish Morocco. This support area should not be allowed to be lost.
8) It is often better to disembark into Gibraltar rather than be transported into the port.
9) Land based air, based in Morocco, should assist to keep the sea areaCape St Vincent Allied or at least contested. Long range fighters are especially important for this task.
10) I would commit almost all assets to North Africa since Spain will be lost anyway.
11) Consider Ground Strike the German units located in the hex NW of Gibraltar. Since that is the hex Germany will attack from any disorganized unit there will cause trouble.
12) Also consider Ground Striking German HQs since that will reduce the capability for several attacks during the same turn if they are successful.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/17/2014 3:17:49 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 2
RE: Defending Gibraltar - 2/17/2014 6:35:05 PM   
Bo Rearguard

I had gotten the impression from a previous post about the Herculean task of taking Gibraltar for the Axis, that the place could be defended easily by a couple of Royal Navy Jack Tars armed with broomsticks. I may have for rethink that.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: Defending Gibraltar - 2/17/2014 6:36:20 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

I had gotten the impression from a previous post about the Herculean task of taking Gibraltar for the Axis, that the place could be defended easily by a couple of Royal Navy Jack Tars armed with broomsticks. I may have for rethink that.

Well, let's say that if the Axis want it badly enough, they will get the rock. You just have to make sure it will cost them an awful lot of units....

Peter

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 4
RE: Defending Gibraltar - 2/17/2014 7:21:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Well, let's say that if the Axis want it badly enough, they will get the rock. You just have to make sure it will cost them an awful lot of units....

And that it takes a lot of time.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 5
RE: Defending Gibraltar - 2/26/2014 2:06:02 PM   
npilgaard

MTN unit in the Gib hex if possible, perhaps a Free France unit - (although it tend not to be the factors/attack ratio but the bonuses due to flipped units, HQ support etc. that are most important).
If the hex NE of Gib is held an artillery unit is nice there, to flip the German units adjacent to Gib (similarily the hex is nice for the Germans, as an artillery unit or two placed there can flip defending units with no interception and without taking up space for the attacking units).

Regards
Nikolaj

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Defending Gibraltar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI