Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog of war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Fog of war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog of war - 1/4/2017 8:00:17 AM   
kch

I have been reading a few books on naval encounters between WWII and the Falklands conflict. What strikes me is that there seems to be a very large amount of uncertainty in these operations as to the position of friendly units. Do you believe that we could get a build in the future that reflects this?

My thinking is that for the scenarios before 1985 or so then there should be less of a God like situational map as we current have. Navigational errors should creep in, depending on the proficiency of the crew, platform, whether it is open ocean, visibility etc, so that when you move your units around then you cannot be sure that your units are in the exact location. This should be made even worse if the unit in question is not directly under your command (i.e. different service, country, task force) especially if operating under EMCON. Aircraft and especially submarines would operate in zones rather than specific locations.

These locational errors, and lack of direct communication, should of course translate into the danger of blue on blue incidents.

I would make the flagship the starting point of the map and then build in the errors of location / missions from there onwards.

The next step would be to try to build in a more realistic chain of command, i.e. no possibility of giving direct orders to individual units, especially if you do not have a direct comm link.

Any thoughts?

Post #: 1
RE: Fog of war - 1/4/2017 9:21:24 AM   
Rory Noonan

This can be done with Lua and sides; it's a bit of work but quite straight-forward really. It would work just as you wish, being able to give orders and then potentially losing contact with your subordinate units unless they are within a certain range. The sky is the limit really, and the tools are already in place.

I think thewood1 made a scenario (I don't think it was released in the end) showing this with submarines as the example case, maybe he'd be willing to share it so you have the bare bones of code and events to work with.

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog of war - 1/4/2017 10:13:29 AM   
kch

thanks for the info..

On another matter, does anybody know whether fatigue is included in the game? I am thinking that response rates should go down over time, accidents increase etc etc. But I guess that requires the possibility to set the units up at different states of alert. (but maybe the scenario durations are too short to make worth the while)

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog of war - 1/4/2017 10:34:40 AM   
Rory Noonan

No, it's not.

Accidents aren't modelled; you could script them in however.

Do some experimenting with Lua. You can really do a lot with it.

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 4
RE: Fog of war - 1/4/2017 1:45:27 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: kch

thanks for the info..

On another matter, does anybody know whether fatigue is included in the game? I am thinking that response rates should go down over time, accidents increase etc etc. But I guess that requires the possibility to set the units up at different states of alert. (but maybe the scenario durations are too short to make worth the while)

You can do this by using lua to lower unit proficiency baring some conditions. So we don't do it natively but you have the tools to do it.

Accidents can be handled by lua as well.

Mike

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 5
RE: Fog of war - 1/5/2017 7:43:56 AM   
kch

Thanks! I will try to play around with it.

And thanks again for a great game

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Fog of war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI