Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Impressions of 8.2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Impressions of 8.2? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 1:04:50 PM   
wodin

Can people give others who have yet to download it their impressions of the 8.2 update.

To me as a newbie I dont know the game well enough to comment on them.

However I have seen a couple of negative reports so what do you guys think.

I think its still an awesome FREE game but arent in a posistion to know whether the update improves it.

< Message edited by wodin -- 7/3/2004 5:59:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 1:43:14 PM   
Warrior2

How can there be negative impressions at this early date? I, for one, will have to play it awhile before I make a judgement.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 1:47:39 PM   
Jim1954

My initial impression is that combat, both infantry and armor seems to be a lot deadlier than before but I need to try a lot more things before I really am sure. Graphics are quite nice, but some of the scenarios, especially the ones numbered above 326 don't seem to point to anything.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 3
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 2:38:15 PM   
Toivo

I'm waiting for that total changelog which is mentioned in "OOB changes". Would be quite big and include every change made in v8.2

Concerning OOB - special German OOBs which appear under Norway in 1949 December or in 1945 August in Nationalist Spain/Czechoslovakia such as jet aircraft, all special armor, foreign waffen-ss volunteers and so on ar really great!
Really great thing is recovery-vechile for AFVs - it can load immobilized tanks, even huge german heavy armor. Immobilization can be fixed while loaded on recovery vechile aswell.

None of this appears under regular OOB though...

However I did not find a few units. 60cm mortar Thor for exsample. Mine dogs with anti-tank mines do not seem to work or maybe there's some special way to use them.
One one 82mm mortars under norway appears as onboard plane unit.

Regarding encylcopedia it was written it wasn't fully updated unless I got it wrong. Update will follow.

Now about big changes... I guess that big change is flag-message units and reaction points system? I was busy with other things so I haven't tested it yet. No clue thus. Will look in to this definately as I'm pro-realism.

Still it would be interesting if some of developers would say what were main changes in their opinion. Could anyone answer please is notorious aircraft bug finally fixed for good?

Best regards

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 4
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 3:07:46 PM   
wodin

Over at the SPWAW forum someone has really slated it.

(in reply to Toivo)
Post #: 5
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 3:39:24 PM   
Toivo

What do you mean, slated what who where!
You mean message-units idea?

I tried couple testbattles, russkies armor seems to have better accuracy than in v8.0. Too early to talk about AI acting, though it look like computer woun't come in frontdoor en masse anymore but also tries on flanks (meeting engagements).

Regards

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 4:02:35 PM   
Thrashman

Downloaded it yesterday. Installed last night and started a new WW2 campaign as Germans in December '42. Selected my core force, and went to the deploy phase. The map was only one third of the lower right screen and was desert.

Went ahead and clicked on auto deploy, ( I sometimes do this and then re-arrange my units as I see fit) and then as I am looking at the screen, I notice that there is nowhere that I can place my units. Over half my units were in the black area just off the map and the placement limit flags(there were only three visable) were right on the edge of the map so I had not one hex where I could place units. To top it off, the units that were placed on the map were right on top of several enemy units.

Now, I do like the new images of infantry units and it appears there are new icons for some tanks too.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 4:10:26 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toivo

What do you mean, slated what who where!
You mean message-units idea?

Regards

I think wodin meant at Spwaw Depot.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Toivo)
Post #: 8
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/2/2004 5:31:18 PM   
FlashfyreSP

The following scenarios as provided in the 8.2 version are unusable due to missing files:

Scenarios Missing .DAT and .CMT files:
326 COLD STEEL-HOT FIGHT
327 A STEEL SHOWDOWN
330 THE GUARDS COUNTERATTACK
331 THE TRACTOR WORKS
332 THE STREETS OF STALINGRAD
334 CARRE D'AS

Scenarios Missing only .DAT File:
328 UP A LAZY RIVER
333 BREAKOUT FROM BORISOV
335 TAKING TUETZPUNKT 11
342 ONLY A FEW

Scenarios Missing only .CMT File:
329 THE DEADLY DARK MEN
336 OF MICE AND MEN
338 STAUDEGGER'S RUN

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 9
SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 5:45:23 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

The following scenarios as provided in the 8.2 version are unusable due to missing files:

326 COLD STEEL-HOT FIGHT
327 A STEEL SHOWDOWN
330 THE GUARDS COUNTERATTACK
331 THE TRACTOR WORKS
332 THE STREETS OF STALINGRAD
334 CARRE D'AS

328 UP A LAZY RIVER
333 BREAKOUT FROM BORISOV
335 TAKING TUETZPUNKT 11
342 ONLY A FEW

329 THE DEADLY DARK MEN
336 OF MICE AND MEN
338 STAUDEGGER'S RUN

Darn…

I’m the responsible of the whole scenarios fine tuning in 8.2, so I’m very sorry to hear abt these missing files.

I cannot know it’s my fault, for not having sent these specific files, or if they went lost somehow, after I forwarded them to Matrix, but this not that important…

I’ll try to sort this out asap, and meantime I’ll see if I can have those missing files posted here.

Txs for the info.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 10
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 6:11:37 PM   
mylgas

There seems to be a bug with graphics.
I downloaded 8.2 and made a clean install. Started campaign "from utah to the rhine".
And there in the first map what do i see? A bird? A plane? No! I saw burning infantry squads.
Holocaust victims? Nah. I think they represented crashed airplanes or gliders because there were some sliding marks near them (or were the bodys dragged to the fire place?). Is it just me or do others have the same bug?
Btw. i really like the new icons!

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 11
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 6:30:17 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Regarding "missing files" if you have 8.0d handy you likely already have at least some of them.

This list (from above) Altered to include my discoveries.

326 COLD STEEL-HOT FIGHT
327 A STEEL SHOWDOWN
330 THE GUARDS COUNTERATTACK (this is scen 001, rename two files of same type to 330 and paste in Scen folder)
331 THE TRACTOR WORKS (this is 002 same process).
332 THE STREETS OF STALINGRAD (this is 003 same process).
334 CARRE D'AS (this is 005 same process).

328 UP A LAZY RIVER
333 BREAKOUT FROM BORISOV (this is 004, same process).
335 TAKING TUETZPUNKT 11 (this is 006 same process).
342 ONLY A FEW

329 THE DEADLY DARK MEN
336 OF MICE AND MEN (this is 007 same process)
338 STAUDEGGER'S RUN (this is 208 same process, but it does not have a numerical listing on the change over).

The other files eluded my search (might be entirely new creations).

The scenarios loaded and played within my initial expectations when these missing files were inserted into my 8.2 install.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

(in reply to mylgas)
Post #: 12
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 6:36:12 PM   
Voriax

quote:

ORIGINAL: mylgas

There seems to be a bug with graphics.
I downloaded 8.2 and made a clean install. Started campaign "from utah to the rhine".
And there in the first map what do i see? A bird? A plane? No! I saw burning infantry squads.
Holocaust victims? Nah. I think they represented crashed airplanes or gliders because there were some sliding marks near them (or were the bodys dragged to the fire place?). Is it just me or do others have the same bug?
Btw. i really like the new icons!

This campaign seems to work fine in my install. Crashed gliders as should be, no burning infantry squads.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to mylgas)
Post #: 13
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 7:04:08 PM   
mylgas

This is weird. I uninstalled and deleted everything and reinstalled.
This time some of the "gliders" show as tanks and some as bazooka teams.
Whats going on?

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 14
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 10:13:49 PM   
WestKent78

Haven't really had time to evaluate this fully yet. But then, it's free and far better than the original. So a big thank you to all concerned.

I was hoping that the Raiders of the Sahara Campaign would have been fixed from ver8.0. I seem to recall that the problems were mentioned somewhere on this forum a couple of months ago.
First thing I tried when I downloaded 8.2, but no change. Commandoes still appear as Shermans, and the stationary planes are now represented by what appear to be uncrewed mortars and other incongruous icons.
Hope someone is making an errata list for the inevitable patch that full exposure to the gaming public will make necessary.

(in reply to mylgas)
Post #: 15
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/2/2004 10:39:30 PM   
KG Erwin

Guys, I'm going to make this thread a sticky.

(in reply to WestKent78)
Post #: 16
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/3/2004 12:48:56 AM   
Resisti

I've just sent the missing files to David H., so for him to upload them somewhere.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/3/2004 1:04:05 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Resisti

I've just sent the missing files to David H., so for him to upload them somewhere.

Thanks Resisti!

Goblin

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 18
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/3/2004 1:10:08 AM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: WestKent78
I was hoping that the Raiders of the Sahara Campaign would have been fixed from ver8.0. I seem to recall that the problems were mentioned somewhere on this forum a couple of months ago.
First thing I tried when I downloaded 8.2, but no change. Commandoes still appear as Shermans, and the stationary planes are now represented by what appear to be uncrewed mortars and other incongruous icons.

Raiders of the Sahara was indeed revised by author, but failed to be included in official release.
I've sent the relevant files to David for him to upload them, too.

Same goes with "Yangtze river patrol" campaign.

These are the only two which had been revised by authors for Spwaw 8.0+ .

(in reply to WestKent78)
Post #: 19
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/3/2004 2:53:35 AM   
VikingNo2

I have noticed the the US encyclopedia is off the avalibility dates are off, but its just in the encyclopedia not actul game play The units look great.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 20
RE: SCENARIOS MISSING FILES - 7/3/2004 3:01:18 AM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: WestKent78

Haven't really had time to evaluate this fully yet. But then, it's free and far better than the original. So a big thank you to all concerned.

Hope someone is making an errata list for the inevitable patch that full exposure to the gaming public will make necessary.

Well, I am the author of that particular campaign, and I have just updated it for this version. You can get a copy at my site, The Bunker, or stop by my Showcase at the SPWaW Depot website.

The biggest problem was the graphic issue...and with the new versions of grounded planes, I have removed my own modified Norway OOB from the ZIP file. The grounded aircraft issue was a stumbling block...I'm glad to see these units are now part of the official version.

(in reply to WestKent78)
Post #: 21
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 4:10:53 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toivo

However I did not find a few units. 60cm mortar Thor for exsample.

December 1941

quote:

Regarding encylcopedia it was written it wasn't fully updated unless I got it wrong. Update will follow.

Only if somebody writes the enc files. I have asked and asked but got no support from the Forum.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Toivo)
Post #: 22
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 5:15:52 AM   
WestKent78

FlashfyreSP,

Downloaded the campaign from your website and am just about to start it. Looks superb. Thanks for updating it. I can tell it's going to be one of my favourite campaigns. I saw the grounded plane icons too. All sorts of raids are now possible. Now I just have to get familiar with the editors to produce my own scenarios!

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 23
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 7:30:18 PM   
mylgas

I got rid of the "burning infantry instead of gliders" bug after i downloaded 8.2 from another mirror.

(in reply to WestKent78)
Post #: 24
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 7:57:38 PM   
mylgas

Or not. It seems that when i dont buy any troops and just go into
the mission the gliders are there, but when i buy some tanks or infantry the
gliders are shown as burning tanks or infantry. Could someone else test it?

(in reply to mylgas)
Post #: 25
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 9:54:17 PM   
KG Erwin

Has anyone checked out the superb encyclopedia updates that Ruxius did for the Italian OOB? Would you guys like for the encyclopedia for other nations to be expanded? I proposed this to the team--this could be the next add-on, if players want it. For newbies and vets alike, simply providing more historical info on the units is both useful and educational, especially if you want to explore a country that you've never played before.
What do you think?

(in reply to mylgas)
Post #: 26
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 11:11:37 PM   
Don Doom

Well since the norway oob was purged, several scenerios can be deleted since they will now not work, dickermax, mause that roared[I think]. There may be more. These can not be fixed since matrix did not release any info on how to make or use the modswaper! and from the silence I have seen they probley won't.
The game works ok, have to use thw mech.exe still[will matrix ever get the main autorun to work] the Icons i have seen are pretty good[infantry ones that is].

< Message edited by Don Doom -- 7/3/2004 4:14:57 PM >

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 27
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/3/2004 11:12:02 PM   
WestKent78

Sounds good to me, especially for the "minor Nations" and the rarer equipment. Basically anything that provides hard to get information would be most welcome.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 28
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/4/2004 2:37:51 AM   
Nikademus

I was disapointed to find that the incongruity that hampers the 76mm armed Shermans in terms of their gun stats was not corrected. Other than that...too early to tell. Is there a list somewhere that documents all the changes?

(in reply to WestKent78)
Post #: 29
RE: Impressions of 8.2? - 7/4/2004 12:30:40 PM   
Paddington

" Concerning OOB - special German OOBs which appear under Norway in 1949 December or in 1945 August in Nationalist Spain/Czechoslovakia such as jet aircraft, all special armor, foreign waffen-ss volunteers and so on ar really great!
Really great thing is recovery-vechile for AFVs - it can load immobilized tanks, even huge german heavy armor. Immobilization can be fixed while loaded on recovery vechile aswell."

Foreign volunteers? Where where!?

-The Bear Paddington

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Impressions of 8.2? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI