Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

, How adaptable will scenario editor be?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> , How adaptable will scenario editor be? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
, How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/18/2005 6:49:16 PM   
Sabuesillo

I mean, will it be possible to edit units completely, that is, to include making scenarios for other "age of rifles" scenarios.

Like I'm thinking, will it be suitable or restricting in some way to make Civil war Battle Scenarios, or British Colonial campaign battles in the desert, to name some examples?

Post #: 1
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/19/2005 8:49:10 PM   
Le Tondu

Gosh, I really hope not. To do so would be like shooting themselves in the foot by undercutting their profit margin.

Anyways, I believe that they will possibly be making games covering those eras. I'm willing to bet on the ACW as it is so popular.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Sabuesillo)
Post #: 2
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/20/2005 1:19:51 AM   
Sabuesillo

Well, in business terms I think it would be far more profitable to make it as adaptable as I was saying because it would provide a much larger player base, and much more interest from scenario makers.

Games like The Operational Art of War come to mind.

If they are going to include an editor, if one can:

1) Edit the maps (make new maps)
AND
2) Make new units or edit the unit parameters of pre-existing units (firing range, attack factor, etc)

Then I don't see why one couldn't make scenarios depicting other battles in the 19th century outside of the Napoleonic times.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 3
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/20/2005 10:01:44 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabuesillo

Well, in business terms I think it would be far more profitable to make it as adaptable as I was saying because it would provide a much larger player base, and much more interest from scenario makers.

As a one off, possibly, but as the intention seems to be to create a series of "Black Powder Wars" games I agree with Le Tondu they would rather be shooting themselves in the foot.

Surely a full featured map/scenario editor for the Napoleonic period would be enough, anyway? There will be vast numbers of battles and even campaigns the box game won't touch, and having a bash at those ought to keep map and scenario creators happy. Or how about a War of 1812 mod?

There are some quite fundamental differences in Napoleonic and, say, Civil War warfare, too. There is a significant danger that a system allowing both would also have to dumb-down both to some extent too, which certainly wouldn't do the game any favours.

(in reply to Sabuesillo)
Post #: 4
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/20/2005 5:13:50 PM   
Sabuesillo

Ok, whatever. Not worried about the "concept".
returning to my beginning question, and just for curiosity: how adaptable WILL the editor be? Will it be possible to edit unit characteristics fully?

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/23/2005 8:23:01 PM   
bstarr

Good question. I mean will we have to choose between hard coded stats for, say, French Line 1812, or will we be able to adjust these stats to meet our own interpretation of the units involved? Also, will the stats be simplistic like some games which have "experience" ratings of poor, fair, good, excellent, and godlike (Old Guard ). Or will the ratings be on a wider numerical scale with various attributes like dicipline, morale, fatigue, skirmish ability, etc, etc? Or will it be somewhere in between?
bs

(in reply to Sabuesillo)
Post #: 6
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/24/2005 2:18:57 AM   
Tim Coakley

The game is set to focus on the Napoleonic period. It could be stretched to similar times (AWI, 1812)...but I think tehre are changes in teh method of warfare that will keep it from going to far in either direction.

The maps are fully editable and you can create new ones. 200x200 max right now (see other message on this).

Units, leaders, wagons are all customizable...completely.

See the shots on the web page for some more info:

www.doubleshotdesign.com

Ther are many different unit values to handle any case. Even set the allowable formations, number of battalion guns, combat bonuses, movement bonues.

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 7
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 6/25/2005 6:12:51 AM   
bstarr

Sounds great, thanks.

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 8
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 10/19/2005 9:01:35 PM   
Sumter

I have been a avid player of Horse and Musket 1 for some time. Despite some shortcomings, its scenario editor has enabled me to do much that I wanted to do. I am not especially happy with the direction being taken with HNM 2. In looking over your upcoming game, however, I am hopeful that many of the shortcomings of HNM 1 will be addressed. Will this game include the variety of artillery types used during the period? Will it include representations for the nationalities involved during the Napoleonic period -- including the US for War of 1812 scenarios? Will units always appear as counters or will it be possible to view them as miniature soldiers?

Thanks,
Sumter

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 9
RE: , How adaptable will scenario editor be? - 10/20/2005 1:49:34 AM   
amrcg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Shot Design

The game is set to focus on the Napoleonic period. It could be stretched to similar times (AWI, 1812)...but I think tehre are changes in teh method of warfare that will keep it from going to far in either direction.

The maps are fully editable and you can create new ones. 200x200 max right now (see other message on this).

Units, leaders, wagons are all customizable...completely.

See the shots on the web page for some more info:

www.doubleshotdesign.com

Ther are many different unit values to handle any case. Even set the allowable formations, number of battalion guns, combat bonuses, movement bonues.

This promises to be a great game, the type of game I was looking for. I have not purchased H&M or the HPS series because I was waiting for something like BPW. I hate games that focus on only one campaign or battle. I like a realistic simulator complemented with a powerful editor.

What's the release date for BPW?

Cheers,
Antonio Grilo

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> , How adaptable will scenario editor be? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI