Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 5:57:46 PM   
Nikademus

what, you want me to shoot down some more of your flimsy planes?

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 61
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:00:31 PM   
Speedysteve

Sure, come back and try........

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 62
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:04:28 PM   
Nikademus

Soon as you launch your China offensive. Chiang and Mao have set the table and we want some Sushi for lunch.

Post #: 63
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:07:20 PM   
Speedysteve

They'll soon be shooting at each other again.

I've decided i'll wait for them to shoot each other and then i'll walk in and mop up the rest

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 64
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:10:15 PM   
Nikademus

lol...now that would be quite the realistic enhancement. Order your LCU's for an attack and instead they Shock attack each other.

Post #: 65
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:12:27 PM   
Speedysteve

DO IT

If you order a shock attack i'll move in afterwards.....I promise.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 66
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:12:42 PM   
timtom

Gee, get a room, you two - and invite Terminus while you're at it!

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 67
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:13:57 PM   
Speedysteve

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 68
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/30/2006 6:16:33 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

Gee, get a room, you two - and invite Terminus while you're at it!

sorry. we now resume the rant on China. (and i'm still waiting for an answer on the paratrooper/armor flank attack)

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 69
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:09:06 AM   
Rapunzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rapunzel

Well I am unsing nik´s mod and i am getting steamrolled by japan. It is 7/42 and 3/4 of my army are out of supplies. I could hold the frontline citys but he bypassed them and occupied several backyard bases (with paratroopers - tanks). He does not seem to have any supply probs doing so... .

I think nik was asking you rapunzel ?

I you failed to garrison rear bases with one corps at least your inviting trouble like this ( paras anyway). i dont understand the tanks one though ? surely you saw these coming along from somewhere ?

pls enlightlen us ..

Yes I did underestimate the risk of an airborn invasion. I forgot the garrison on the base close to burma in the north. Some remains from the burma army were on the way to it (air supplied but awful slow). I was so hard pressed from his offense on Jenen und Changsa (he had about 2,5 to 1 superiority). So i took everything to defend the front. Obviously my fault. It is my first mulitplayer witp game so count it as a lesson. I think he did supply his tank forces by air too.

And yes! I saw the tanks coming. He could retreat his units from the big battles and use them elsewhere. My units were not allowed to leave the place. So he could pin great numbers of my troops on bases when he shifted his focus on another base. That depleted my reserves till 5/42.

< Message edited by Rapunzel -- 3/31/2006 12:25:48 AM >

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 70
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:13:10 AM   
Speedysteve

It's a live and learn game with a steep learning curve.

Having said that it's amazing how fast most WiTPers do learn this game and adapt to the threat/options invovled.

Happy hunting.

Steven

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Rapunzel)
Post #: 71
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 2:09:07 AM   
el cid again

quote:

All true. Additionally one should say that the Independent Mixed Brigades and C-Type Divisions that are in the game were (historically) employed for those garrison duties. Vanilla WITP gives them too much firepower/offensive capability while they historically were (nearly) static formations. Thus the "police" formations Nik was speaking about are in the game...

An Ind Mxd Brigade (and its poor cousin Ind Mxd Rgt) were not really single units - but were a HQ with "independent mixed battalions" - each at a different location. Typically, a Brigade had 4 and a regiment 3 - but other options existed (from 2 to 6). If our hexes were not so huge, and if the slots were more numerous, we could represent each battalion - and it would be more correct.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 72
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 2:19:59 AM   
el cid again

quote:

China was a vast country and the war fought there between Japan and China prior to Dec. 41 was vastly different than that fought between Russia and Germany. There were no special police units created in VAST quantities by Japan to occupy rear areas, because they never actually conquered those rear areas to begin with so there was no pressing need for them.

There was no sweeping front that swept through the country conquering every little village and hamlet, instead Japan attacked along transportation routes on a very narrow front and was forced to occupy the entire line because everything else in the primitive hinterlands remained under Chinese control (except when punitive offensives were launched, but Japan always withdrew back to the transportation lines after).

Front line troops were required to garrison the entire railway network because Japan lacked sufficient troops to occupy the vast interior areas of China. Just because some guy colored in vast areas of the country with red ink on some map and said it was occupied doesn’t mean a few police troops could have had a hope in hell of controlling those areas.

The best way to represent what Japans occupation looked like would be to draw red lines over the rail and main road network and leave the rest uncontrolled. That would be a realistic representation of what the situation in China was on Dec. 1941. Japan was forced to keep 80% of the combat formations in China guarding the rear areas, because China had active large scale combat formations available to sweep in and cut any part of the line if Japan let its guard down.

I’ve read accounts where entire Chinese combat divisions would melt away into the local populace as a Japanese offensive swept through their area. They would then reform after the Japanese passed through and reap havoc in the rear and simply melt away again whenever the Japanese returned to hunt for the unit.

Technologically the Japanese army was far superior to Chinas army, but China had millions more men under arms and unlimited replacements available to replace the horrendous losses taken whenever the two armies would clash in stand up fights. Japan spent five years learning they couldn’t defeat China in a land war. Anyone who thinks the current land situation in the game is even remotely close to justified from an historical point of view is simply delusional.

I think the best solution in China would be to give the Chinese their historical armies, and then allow them to draw unlimited supplies from ANY Chinese hex not occupied by a Japanese combat unit. Take away all but a few engineer squads so they have no hope of assaulting defended Japanese bases with forts, and then you’ll see a more realistic game in China. Japan will be forced to defend every rail and road hex with combat troops (as they had to do historically) and China will have lots of offensively weak but large combat formations roaming the primitive countryside.

The better more modern equipped offensive Chinese formations (perhaps 70-100 of the almost 400 total divisions China fielded) would be fixed in the larger Chinese controlled bases, and only become available for use in late 44 or if the Japanese attack them first.

This begins very well indeed. It ends very badly - with proposals which imply the nature of Chinese troops are not understood. And it ignores the vast numbers of "Japanese Chinese troops" - actually millions of them.
In China being a soldier is - first of all - rarely a choice. The government (KMT, CCP or the local warlordy) claimed it was your duty - and refusal would at a minimum get you beheadded - maybe your whole family as well. In fact, in that sense, Japanese Chinese troops were better than most Chinese Chinese troops - Japan didn't claim you had to fight for them! Either way, you didn't get paid. This is SOP in China too - the way it was until the 1990s reforms (not entirely implemented today). Chinese units grow their own food so they can eat - make their own uniforms - often make products for sale - sometimes make their own guns - and otherwise engage in non-military activities more of the time than military ones. If a unit wants to MOVE it must figure out how to pay for the trip and how to survive in a new area. [See Tsuji's first book - he spent years under cover with KMT in China and SE Asia - KMT was not limited to China]. But fight? This was not the same thing as being in a military unit. Fighting could get you killed! Chinese troops invented lots of ways not to fight - and often had real problems (like ZERO shells for artillery) that made it sane to think that way. There are lots of exceptions - but they are EXCEPTIONS - not the rule. IF China's army tried to fight in a modern sense it would quickly have NO effective units - due to no ammunition! How you game that is a big problem. And giving China its historical army is unfair UNLESS you give Japan its historical Chinese army (armies actually). In a way, most Chinese troops are more like occupation troops - and more competent keeping civilians under control - than troops of use against a real enemy army. For a good sense of the complexity of this get War of Resistence - a mechanical game using the Europa system.

Jim

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 73
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 3:58:10 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

This begins very well indeed. It ends very badly - with proposals which imply the nature of Chinese troops are not understood. And it ignores the vast numbers of "Japanese Chinese troops" - actually millions of them.
In China being a soldier is - first of all - rarely a choice. The government (KMT, CCP or the local warlordy) claimed it was your duty - and refusal would at a minimum get you beheadded - maybe your whole family as well. In fact, in that sense, Japanese Chinese troops were better than most Chinese Chinese troops - Japan didn't claim you had to fight for them! Either way, you didn't get paid. This is SOP in China too - the way it was until the 1990s reforms (not entirely implemented today). Chinese units grow their own food so they can eat - make their own uniforms - often make products for sale - sometimes make their own guns - and otherwise engage in non-military activities more of the time than military ones. If a unit wants to MOVE it must figure out how to pay for the trip and how to survive in a new area. [See Tsuji's first book - he spent years under cover with KMT in China and SE Asia - KMT was not limited to China]. But fight? This was not the same thing as being in a military unit. Fighting could get you killed! Chinese troops invented lots of ways not to fight - and often had real problems (like ZERO shells for artillery) that made it sane to think that way. There are lots of exceptions - but they are EXCEPTIONS - not the rule. IF China's army tried to fight in a modern sense it would quickly have NO effective units - due to no ammunition! How you game that is a big problem. And giving China its historical army is unfair UNLESS you give Japan its historical Chinese army (armies actually). In a way, most Chinese troops are more like occupation troops - and more competent keeping civilians under control - than troops of use against a real enemy army. For a good sense of the complexity of this get War of Resistence - a mechanical game using the Europa system.

So ...would the practical solution be to add the full Chinese OOB - AND - some Japanese garrison units for China?

B

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 74
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 7:08:29 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

quote:

So ...would the practical solution be to add the full Chinese OOB - AND - some Japanese garrison units for China?

B

Here is a fair quote describing the "millions of Japanese Chinese troops"

quote:

When small arms were not brought over by the defecting Nationalist soldiers they were supplied by the Japanese from 'war booty'. These arms were not usually supplied free, and the Nanking government had to buy them from the Japanese. Some very poor quality captured small arms were given to the Nanking Army without charge, but these must have been virtually useless. The Nanking Army units nearest to the capital were generally better armed than the units stationed in the outlying provinces.
Even when a 'puppet' soldier was issued with a rifle, the amount of ammunition he was allowed was strictly limited by the Japanese. The 'puppets' were usually limited to, at the most, 30 rounds of ammunition, and in fact some were only issued with 5 bullets each. Japanese thinking was that even if the 'puppet' soldiers went over to the Nationalists or Communists they could not take too much ammunition with them. Some Japanese rifles were issued, but their war industry had enough problems supplying their own troops without equipping the large number of 'puppet' troops as well. One 'puppet' unit in north China was given the task of garrisoning a large strongpoint called 'Mafeng' from 1944, after the Japanese troops guarding it had been withdrawn. The 50 'puppet' troops holding the strongpoint were given 'old' and 'discarded' rifles and were issued with a bare minimum of ammunition by the Japanese.
The Japanese kept their 'puppet' troops short of heavy weapons, as they simply did not trust them not to go over to the Nationalists or Communists when the opportunity arose.When artillery was used by Nanking units during anti-bandit operations it was usually kept under the control of their Japanese advisors. ...

< Message edited by treespider -- 3/31/2006 7:09:40 AM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 75
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 7:14:26 AM   
treespider

quote:

B

What constitutes adding the full chinese OoB? The game engine is currently not suited to recreating China. Many of the so called 300 divisions the chinese are credited with having functioned as nothing more than guerilla outfits... which could be represented simply by changing the partisan formula ...

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 76
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 8:49:15 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

with proposals which imply the nature of Chinese troops are not understood.

Obviously it's you who misunderstands the "nature" of Chinese troops. If the "millions" of Japanese Chinese troops were anything better than utterly useless, Japan would not have been forced to keep more than 80% of their in country armies in the rear garrisoning the rail network. This is a fact easily verified, Japan had to guard the rail net with their combat troops for the entire war, the Chinese troops they raised were useless and no way deserve to be included in the game. On the other hand the Chinese troops that forced the garrisoning to occur were very useful, hence the need for heavy military garrisons throughout the war.

But what I find amazing is your total lack of regard for Chinese troops. You give them no credit at all for the hard 5 years they fought the Japanese before Dec. 1941, and the sacrifices and heroics of the hundreds of thousands of Chinese that died in major battles around Changsa, Shanghai, Nanking, etc., etc.

There are plenty of accounts in the history of China’s war where poorly supplied and out tech’d Chinese troops raised themselves to heroic feats to fight against the Japanese. But many westerners are prejudiced against the Chinese because of Chiang Kai-Shek’s political machinations after the western allies entered the war.

Chiang’s policy was to allow the western allies to beat Japan and do as little as possible in order to preserve his strength for the coming battles with the communists. His corrupt government continually preached poverty to the allies (a bold faced lie) to try and squeeze as much free aid from the west as possible before wars end. Even when we finally got him to commit to offensive action in the two thirty division plans, he still insisted we provide all the supply needed to raise the divisions from scratch, refusing to commit any of the hundreds of divisions already fielded under his command. He new the war was winding down and he hoped to get the new divisions equipment before wars end without actually having to commit them to battle.

The Chinese soldier was no worse or better than any other nation’s soldiers. Their weakness was due to technological inferiority, not some coward gene that pre-disposed them to seek ways of saving their own skins. The corrupt government also produced some piss poor leadership in the officer corps, but on a one for one basis the average Chinese soldier was just as good as any other nations soldiers when equipped well.

When properly equipped, Chinese divisions were the equal or better than Japanese divisions. For example the 200th Division held against a Japanese division’s assault in the opening of the Burma campaign all by itself for about 2 weeks and then withdrew in an orderly fashion when the allies redeployed their lines north towards Mandalay. They had easily beaten the Japanese and probably could have continued to fight well, it was only Chiang’s meddling and the lack of an effectively unified command structure between the allies that led to the collapse in Burma.

Of course there is no way the 200th Division would have a hope in hell of standing up to a Japanese division in WitP in a one on one fight. I attribute this to the typical western attitudes that fail to respect or understand the true nature of Chinas problems. It wasn’t their soldiers, it was their piss poor leadership and technological inferiority that caused them so much grief. But even so they had still whupped the Japanese by 1941 and Japan didn’t have a hope in hell of beating them anymore unless they could totally isolate China from the rest of the world.

Of course having the rest of the world then beat down your back door was the race against time Japan was destined to lose, it’s just that their military leaders refused to admit they couldn’t win.

Jim

P.S. 90% of US troops (and most other countries too) had no choice about being a soldier in WWII either, they were drafted.

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 3/31/2006 9:06:13 AM >

Post #: 77
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 9:01:03 AM   
Jim D Burns

oops double post.

Post #: 78
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:12:31 PM   
el cid again

quote:

A practical solution would involve several elements:

1) evaluate different forces - some you don't put in at all - that is NO troops is more accurate than any at all! These would include units that vaporized under pressure historically.

2) Overrate the size of formations - call a battalion a regiment for example - a regiment a division - and so on. And a corps is called an army - that is really true by the way. Then outfit these units with almost no heavy weapons. It is quite common for a SINGLE artillery piece to decide a "battle" - and then without shooting at all - or shooting only to proove it has shells! Most units are almost pure infantry.

3) Break up Japanese Independent Infantry Brigades and Regiments into battalions - there is NO real brigade - everything is attached out - even tiny slices of engineers and comm guys. These battalions become the "good" occupation troops.

4) Create troops for the Peiking and Nanjing regimes to Japan (as well as those of Manchukuo and Liaoning).

5) Give control of CCP units to the Soviet Player - classify them as Soviet - or else use a blank nation - they are allied but NOT KMT. Make the CCP command independent.

6) Make all guerilla units static. They live of the LOCAL land and are not very easily moved. [Not even the language is the same. There are 634 languages in China today - and at least as many in WWII. The local land is hard pressed too - it isn't good times - feeding a lot more troops is NOT going to be popular, easy or even possible.]

This is just off the top of my head. Probably there is more to it than this, but it is a fair start.

Also, use the new RHS map. [It will release in a few days - it is in test now and final errors are being corrected.] IT will work with CHS - you won't have to use it with RHS. But it gives China more mountains - something it needs to defend better. Also more trails.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 3/31/2006 12:15:46 PM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 79
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:22:22 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Even when a 'puppet' soldier was issued with a rifle, the amount of ammunition he was allowed was strictly limited by the Japanese. The 'puppets' were usually limited to, at the most, 30 rounds of ammunition, and in fact some were only issued with 5 bullets each.

This is perfectly true - but it is grossly misleading insofar as it does not say that this is the NORM for soldiers in China. There were exceptions, but they were exceptions. And SOME of the exceptions got ZERO bullets - even ZERO firearms! In really rural places troops might be issued black powder rifles. And I do not even mention a sort of fourth class "soldier" armed with spears - they were part of a completely different organization than the "army" - but they did matter for the control of roads, etc. China is so alien from our experience that it is difficult to adjust to, mentally speaking. In China outrageous things were common. For example, a KMT officer was court martialed and convicted of failing to provide artillery support when ordered to do so - and executed for that crime. That he had NO AMMUNITION WHATEVER was not a reasonable defense!

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 80
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:27:29 PM   
el cid again

quote:

The Japanese kept their 'puppet' troops short of heavy weapons, as they simply did not trust them not to go over to the Nationalists or Communists when the opportunity arose.

Quite correct - and also very misleading. It is left out this is the NORM in China for ALL Chinese armies. Artillery was quite rare - and might be of museum quality - or even non-functional. If it could work, that did not imply any ammunition was available for it. If there was ammunition, that did not imply there was a single person capable of spotting, or running a fire direction center: direct fire was often the only mission possible. In China an MMG was a big deal heavy weapon. Most units had NONE. So a unit with ONE was quite well off. A unit with an actual heavy weapons company - normally two formed a platoon and 2 or 3 platoons a company - was a very fine formation, heavy weapons wise.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 81
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:35:52 PM   
el cid again

quote:

If the "millions" of Japanese Chinese troops were anything better than utterly useless, Japan would not have been forced to keep more than 80% of their in country armies in the rear garrisoning the rail network.

This is hardly true. China was - and remains - the world's most populous nation. Parts of China were - and are - very densely populated. One could have very large forces in a country like that and it might seem like they were woefully inadequate - regardless of troop quality. Frankly the problems Japan had in China were much more political than military. Until Japan began attacking China, most Chinese admired Japan for standing up to colonial powers. Japan squandered a great deal of good will by its policies. To some extent this changed late in the war (pressed labor was ended - by order - no matter who you were you could not use it any more; siezed properties were returned; administration taken from China by colonials of various nations was returned to Chinese). But it was too late to buy the kind of good will that better policy could have bought earlier. For a more successful example of Imperial Japanese "occupation" (Japan NEVER occupied like we did - it ALWAYS used local officials, except in special enclaves, like Balikpapan) see the Dutch East Indies. IF Japan had adopted a more rational policy, it could have had peace in China, kept Manchukuo, and needed no occupation troops whatever.

Post #: 82
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:42:41 PM   
el cid again

quote:

But what I find amazing is your total lack of regard for Chinese troops. You give them no credit at all for the hard 5 years they fought the Japanese before Dec. 1941, and the sacrifices and heroics of the hundreds of thousands of Chinese that died in major battles around Changsa, Shanghai, Nanking, etc., etc.

I am sorry this is your impression. Correcting errors in your and other's statements should not be taken to imply that I am not fully in sympathy with China in this period of history - for I am. Note that I was married in China, my wife is ethnic Chinese (maiden name Lim), and I am not in the least anti-Chinese! I am something of a contemporary student of Chinese military affairs, and write extensively about ROC and CCP military forces. I have a fairly large collection of honors for Chinese units translated from Chinese materials - most of them being WWII era victories of one sort or another. I have carefully used even handed language - implying that MOST Chinese troops of BOTH sides were poorly equipped, very poorly supported, generally unpaid, virtually untrained in a modern sense, and poorly led. In that context, that troops engaged the IJA at all, and sometimes were effective, should be regarded as great praise - not criticism. Note, however, that it is a common view among Chinese military historians that Chinese troops spent MORE time fighting each other than the Japanese in this period! Giving them all to a unified command is grossly inaccurate and misleading about what they could do - or did do.

Post #: 83
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:45:47 PM   
el cid again

quote:

There are plenty of accounts in the history of China’s war where poorly supplied and out tech’d Chinese troops raised themselves to heroic feats to fight against the Japanese. But many westerners are prejudiced against the Chinese because of Chiang Kai-Shek’s political machinations after the western allies entered the war.

Whatever you may wish to believe about me, know that I am much more criticized for "going native" than being prejudiced against people of any ethnicity. I am not hostile to languages other than English, and my wife says I know the geography and history of her country better than she does. I do believe Chiang engaged in "political machinations" both BEFORE as well as after the Allies entered the war - but I am not offended by them. I expect a leader to do what he believes is in his nations interests.

Post #: 84
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:46:42 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Chiang’s policy was to allow the western allies to beat Japan and do as little as possible in order to preserve his strength for the coming battles with the communists.

I tend to agree. I also tend to think this was a wise policy. Would you, in his office, have done differently? If you did, would it have been wise?

Post #: 85
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 12:56:22 PM   
el cid again

quote:

The Chinese soldier was no worse or better than any other nation’s soldiers. Their weakness was due to technological inferiority, not some coward gene that pre-disposed them to seek ways of saving their own skins. The corrupt government also produced some piss poor leadership in the officer corps, but on a one for one basis the average Chinese soldier was just as good as any other nations soldiers when equipped well.

Here you display your true failure to grasp the situation in China - then and to some degree still. Note that at NO TIME did I allege Chinese troops were cowardly. They are probably better than Americans, on the average IN IDENTICAL CONDITIONS. [The position that Americans are "brittle troops" is not a popular one, but I believe it is true. Americans are used to dishing it out. They do not like it when they are not superior in firepower. Sometimes they have surrendered when they should not have done.] The problem with Chinese troops is cultural. In part, you correctly identify corruption as an issue: it is a big deal and it was not Chiang's invention or fault. China was more or less destroyed in the mid-19th century - mostly by an insane emperor - and then exploited by many colonial powers - including the USA (which maintained China squadrons for decades - units that did things like protect opium runners - I once read a USNI Proceedings article about American flag opium runners in the mid 1920s!) This prevented China from entering the modern era. Her military was, by and large, a traditional one, a wholly different creature than a western army. [The Navy is different. But it had expended itself wholly by the time we think WWII began. It may have been honorable and competent, but it wasn't around any more.] Chinese "soldiers" were not soldiers in national service (although airmen were, and sailors were) in the western sense. The very system forced them to engage in economic activities - above all growing food - to survive. This is not a fault - but it is a fact and it prevented them from being full time soldiers in our sense. Lacking modern weapons, and even ammunition for old weapons, and heavy weapons, is not a fault - but it is a weakness. One can say these things and STILL be impressed with those who fought anyway. I am.

Post #: 86
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 1:04:17 PM   
el cid again

quote:

When properly equipped, Chinese divisions were the equal or better than Japanese divisions.

False. Ours were not. How could China's have been? Japanese solders were - in the view of Gen Stillwell - someone familiar with US soldiers you must admit - but also someone exposed to Chinese soldiers - and someone who led them successfully in combat - Japanese soldiers were the "best in the world." Not until current times has the US Army achieved the sort of superiority that allows it to engage in offensive against superior forces that IJA had in 1940. Many aspects of WWII era IJA are now aspects of the US Army. Either we learned from them - or we came to the conclusion their practices were right independently. [I refer to things like "attack at night" - "put an anti-tank team in every infantry squad" - "substitute diesel engines for gasoline engines in tanks" (IJA was first to invest in that) - "put heavy weapons in separate units to be attached to regular formations as required" (here Gen Marshall believed in the concept - but we still did it less than Japan did at the time) - and many similar concepts.] Japan could expect a major army force to engage when outnumbered 2:1 in all respects (numbers of men, aircraft, artillery, transport vehicles, specialist formations) etc and win. At no time prior to 1950 was that true of any sort of Chinese troops. [You can argue it was when they attacked on Thanksgiving Eve along the banks of the Chong Chong River in Korea - achieving rates of advance equal to the best armored offensives in history against an Allied force with much better equipment. But that was in 1950, not WWII.]

Post #: 87
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 1:16:13 PM   
treespider

quote:

quote:

If the "millions" of Japanese Chinese troops were anything better than utterly useless, Japan would not have been forced to keep more than 80% of their in country armies in the rear garrisoning the rail network.

This is hardly true. China was - and remains - the world's most populous nation. Parts of China were - and are - very densely populated. One could have very large forces in a country like that and it might seem like they were woefully inadequate - regardless of troop quality. Frankly the problems Japan had in China were much more political than military. Until Japan began attacking China, most Chinese admired Japan for standing up to colonial powers. Japan squandered a great deal of good will by its policies. To some extent this changed late in the war (pressed labor was ended - by order - no matter who you were you could not use it any more; siezed properties were returned; administration taken from China by colonials of various nations was returned to Chinese). But it was too late to buy the kind of good will that better policy could have bought earlier. For a more successful example of Imperial Japanese "occupation" (Japan NEVER occupied like we did - it ALWAYS used local officials, except in special enclaves, like Balikpapan) see the Dutch East Indies. IF Japan had adopted a more rational policy, it could have had peace in China, kept Manchukuo, and needed no occupation troops whatever.

But they didn't...and they did need to maintain the rear garrisons...

Here's a link to:

Post #: 88
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 1:18:25 PM   
treespider

quote:

quote:

The Japanese kept their 'puppet' troops short of heavy weapons, as they simply did not trust them not to go over to the Nationalists or Communists when the opportunity arose.

Quite correct - and also very misleading. It is left out this is the NORM in China for ALL Chinese armies. Artillery was quite rare - and might be of museum quality - or even non-functional. If it could work, that did not imply any ammunition was available for it. If there was ammunition, that did not imply there was a single person capable of spotting, or running a fire direction center: direct fire was often the only mission possible. In China an MMG was a big deal heavy weapon. Most units had NONE. So a unit with ONE was quite well off. A unit with an actual heavy weapons company - normally two formed a platoon and 2 or 3 platoons a company - was a very fine formation, heavy weapons wise.

Its not misleading...the quote is in reference to the "millions of Japanese Chinese troops". It was not about the KMT or CCP... It was about the Japanese 'Puppet" forces.

Here's a link to:

Post #: 89
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 5:11:27 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

A practical solution would involve several elements:

1) evaluate different forces - some you don't put in at all - that is NO troops is more accurate than any at all! These would include units that vaporized under pressure historically.

2) Overrate the size of formations - call a battalion a regiment for example - a regiment a division - and so on. And a corps is called an army - that is really true by the way. Then outfit these units with almost no heavy weapons. It is quite common for a SINGLE artillery piece to decide a "battle" - and then without shooting at all - or shooting only to proove it has shells! Most units are almost pure infantry.

3) Break up Japanese Independent Infantry Brigades and Regiments into battalions - there is NO real brigade - everything is attached out - even tiny slices of engineers and comm guys. These battalions become the "good" occupation troops.

4) Create troops for the Peiking and Nanjing regimes to Japan (as well as those of Manchukuo and Liaoning).

5) Give control of CCP units to the Soviet Player - classify them as Soviet - or else use a blank nation - they are allied but NOT KMT. Make the CCP command independent.

6) Make all guerilla units static. They live of the LOCAL land and are not very easily moved. [Not even the language is the same. There are 634 languages in China today - and at least as many in WWII. The local land is hard pressed too - it isn't good times - feeding a lot more troops is NOT going to be popular, easy or even possible.]
This is just off the top of my head. Probably there is more to it than this, but it is a fair start.

Also, use the new RHS map. [It will release in a few days - it is in test now and final errors are being corrected.] IT will work with CHS - you won't have to use it with RHS. But it gives China more mountains - something it needs to defend better. Also more trails.

Although I agree that guerilla units would appear somewhat 'static' in game terms, I believe with the current game engine that would be highly impractical.
The game engine does not recognise 'guerilla' type units - they are treated as regular line units. Guerilla units in WitP do not have the ability to hit and then melt into the countryside and reappear at their choosing.
Static guerilla units would be just weak infantry that can't even run - and destroyed all too easily...so I think making them static would not be desierable with the current game engine.

B

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI