Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 5:24:06 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

The game engine does not recognise 'guerilla' type units

how true.....I still remember the time Bangkok was "occupied" by a sub landed fragment of 100 men.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 91
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 5:33:54 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

The game engine does not recognise 'guerilla' type units

how true.....I still remember the time Bangkok was "occupied" by a sub landed fragment of 100 men.

You mean - you had no garrison there at all??!!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 92
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 5:41:34 PM   
Nikademus

at the time, no. every major LCU had been needed to complete ops in Burma and Malaya (which finished neck and neck with the historical time line) This was way back to and might have been before base unit's got some instrinsic assault value. Kind of highlights the point though. Being operational in scope the game's primary LCU type (outside of specialized units such as NLF/SNLF units or USMC "raider" battalions) is the division or brigade. Divisions can be broken down into regiments....some brigades into halves. Japan to use an example only starts the game with 11 available full divisions for SRA ops.....am i the player really expected to devote a third of a div to each major rear area base to protect against a 100 man unit landed by sub that can somehow sequester an entire city? If one wants guerilla warfare, they need the ability to control unit disposition down to the battalion and even company level. This game is too big for such a thing.

I believe in garrisoning as mentioned previously, but garrisoning against enemy mainline forces and that stretches me thin enough. I can't cover everything as it is in my 1943 game and my opponent has taken advantage, landing on empty dot bases instead and hyperbuilding them into bomber bases through mass ENG stacking.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 93
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 5:58:15 PM   
Big B

Adding a little infantry to each base force would be sufficient (appearantly already done) to protect against that type of thing.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

at the time, no. every major LCU had been needed to complete ops in Burma and Malaya (which finished neck and neck with the historical time line) This was way back to and might have been before base unit's got some instrinsic assault value. Kind of highlights the point though. Being operational in scope the game's primary LCU type (outside of specialized units such as NLF/SNLF units or USMC "raider" battalions) is the division or brigade. Divisions can be broken down into regiments....some brigades into halves. Japan to use an example only starts the game with 11 available full divisions for SRA ops.....am i the player really expected to devote a third of a div to each major rear area base to protect against a 100 man unit landed by sub that can somehow sequester an entire city? If one wants guerilla warfare, they need the ability to control unit disposition down to the battalion and even company level. This game is too big for such a thing.

I believe in garrisoning as mentioned previously, but garrisoning against enemy mainline forces and that stretches me thin enough. I can't cover everything as it is in my 1943 game and my opponent has taken advantage, landing on empty dot bases instead and hyperbuilding them into bomber bases through mass ENG stacking.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 94
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 6:00:57 PM   
Nikademus

Thats been done, but there are still only so many base forces. Remember what Sun Tzu said...."He who defends everything...defends nothing"

Had to make some hard choices on what to garrison. Java for example, is very well invested but its a priority target, temptingly close to Oz.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 95
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 7:00:47 PM   
treespider

quote:

If one wants guerilla warfare, they need the ability to control unit disposition down to the battalion and even company level. This game is too big for such a thing.

Or represent it abstractly with the partisan value as has been done in the game...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 96
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 3/31/2006 7:04:51 PM   
Nikademus

I don't agree but as i've given my reasons for it, i wont re-hash it.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 97
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:00:33 AM   
el cid again

quote:

IF Japan had adopted a more rational policy, it could have had peace in China, kept Manchukuo, and needed no occupation troops whatever.

But they didn't...and they did need to maintain the rear garrisons...

To some extent I agree with you. It regard comprehensive reform as structurally unlikely - and if it happened there would be no war to fight.
But more limited reforms were not only possible - they are HISTORICAL - we don't say this much (we must condemn the enemy after all) but (a) Tojo himself was not corrupt at any time in his career; (b) signifiant reforms WERE adopted and, in fact, survived the end of the war. IF players are in control, then we need to say they could have adopted those reforms sooner. It was, by 1941, too late not to piss off Chinese - but not too late to work out accomodations that would matter. While I want Japan to need garrisons, I don't think you grasp these are not all IJA in character. Nor do I believe you grasp the essential nature of the other Chinese troops. These were, mainly, not troops in the Western sense that could be effective in an offensive.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 98
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:04:38 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Its not misleading...the quote is in reference to the "millions of Japanese Chinese troops". It was not about the KMT or CCP... It was about the Japanese 'Puppet" forces.

It is misleading because you quoted it to mislead. You want to say Japanese puppet forces (itself a propaganda term more misleading than accurate) were ineffective. You were not trying to say - and do not believe- MOST Chinese troops were similarly ineffective. You want to count other Chinese troops as modern soldiers, but wholly ignore the puppet troops. In a real sense, most troops in China are puppet troops - and very few were national in character for any participant. Saying those in Japanese service don't count, but others do, is a misunderstanding of the situation. The closest thing to real soldiers in China were more or less gone before Pearl Harbor (expended in the defense of Nanjing).

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 99
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:07:40 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Although I agree that guerilla units would appear somewhat 'static' in game terms, I believe with the current game engine that would be highly impractical.
The game engine does not recognise 'guerilla' type units - they are treated as regular line units. Guerilla units in WitP do not have the ability to hit and then melt into the countryside and reappear at their choosing.
Static guerilla units would be just weak infantry that can't even run - and destroyed all too easily...so I think making them static would not be desierable with the current game engine.

The guerilla troops do NOT have the ability to "hit and run" MAJOR formations - they can hit a convoy or some isolated roadblock or facility.
So in our game terms they are best represented as a force in an area that is tied to that hex - this is true and functional. If an enemy force ignores them, and does not garrison the hex or wipe them out, then the hex is Chinese, and so are other hexes in its zone of control. Nice simulation actually.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 100
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:12:18 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Japan to use an example only starts the game with 11 available full divisions for SRA ops.....am i the player really expected to devote a third of a div to each major rear area base to protect against a 100 man unit landed by sub that can somehow sequester an entire city? If one wants guerilla warfare, they need the ability to control unit disposition down to the battalion and even company level. This game is too big for such a thing.

It would be better to divide independent mixed brigades into four independent mixed battalions (and independent mixed regiments into three) - and have NO brigade HQ (or rgt HQ) - giveing the player all those battalions for garrison duty. This is the role of those units - the battalions were self contained - all arms - and did not work together - but were in different places. HQ was an admin formation with a tiny (by our standards) logistic unit located with one of those battalions, generally the first. The only reason not to do this is slot availability. It is better simulation. Similarly, Manchukuo troops and some others need to be added - and CHS and RHA are adding them. [On the other side, I have added - thanks to Alaskan Warrior - a French unit at Noumea and some other colonial units].

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 101
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:42:45 AM   
spence

quote:

So in our game terms they are best represented as a force in an area that is tied to that hex - this is true and functional. If an enemy force ignores them, and does not garrison the hex or wipe them out, then the hex is Chinese, and so are other hexes in its zone of control. Nice simulation actually.

Disagree completely - the Japanese Player will quickly pacify China. Immobile units are dead meat given the mechanics of the game. The biggest advantage of the guerilla is his ability to get going (out of the way) when the going gets tough. No Japanese WitP Player will be satisfied "coexisting" in a hex with a guerilla unit - he will instead scarf up some troops somewhere and go after the immobile guerilla units one by one until they are gone completely. Then he'll leave all those battalions and friendly chineses to occupy the hexes to prevent a respawn and move 5-10 main line divisions to wherever his Blitzkreig against the West or Russia needs it.

quote:

But more limited reforms were not only possible

One reform most unlikely would be for the IJA to stop foraging for its sustenance...that was an essential part of the IJA supply "system" and bore a marked resemblance to similar systems in use in the West DURING THE THIRTY YEARS WAR. Making nice with the average local was just never in the cards for Japan...persuading a few indigenous political types (with their own agendas) to smile for the cameras was as good as it got.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 102
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 1:44:19 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Like I said,,,what is the harm in trying Treespider's idea?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 103
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 3:28:38 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Well....nothing from what I can see!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 104
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 3:33:03 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

We need to stop this fanboyism talk right now!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 105
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 3:37:30 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba 1942

We need to stop this fanboyism talk right now!

I'd like to see some sort of restriction for India as well.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 106
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 3:44:33 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

Any smart Allied player garrisons India anyway.

You've got to do something to prevent the bogus Japanese player Normandy landings, that were never feasable in real life. But are an all too common an occurance in WITP.

PS:
Whoever reads this need not restate the the Japanese did it ONCE in 1937 against the Chinese.

< Message edited by Black Mamba 1942 -- 4/1/2006 3:45:35 AM >

Post #: 107
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 3:53:30 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba 1942

Any smart Allied player garrisons India anyway.

You've got to do something to prevent the bogus Japanese player Normandy landings, that were never feasable in real life. But are an all too common an occurance in WITP.

PS:
Whoever reads this need not restate the the Japanese did it ONCE in 1937 against the Chinese.

Post #: 108
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 4:38:21 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Actually in thinking about it you wouldn't even have to change the formula...just the numbers...instead of /2 you could make /(0.5)

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

Post #: 109
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 6:44:40 AM   
el cid again

quote:

PS:

I guess we are not allowed to bring up Khota Bahru - the thesis Japan could not do division scale landing is - well not true. It is a matter of what is best for the op.

Post #: 110
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 11:23:19 AM   
pauk

I would like to see some more restrictions for India, Australia, Pacific, China and Malaya too....brave sir Robin isn't enough!

Post #: 111
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 11:30:00 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Disagree completely - the Japanese Player will quickly pacify China. Immobile units are dead meat given the mechanics of the game. The biggest advantage of the guerilla is his ability to get going (out of the way) when the going gets tough. No Japanese WitP Player will be satisfied "coexisting" in a hex with a guerilla unit - he will instead scarf up some troops somewhere and go after the immobile guerilla units one by one until they are gone completely. Then he'll leave all those battalions and friendly chineses to occupy the hexes to prevent a respawn and move 5-10 main line divisions to wherever his Blitzkreig against the West or Russia needs it.

This is getting frustrating (spence): a query was made; I am attempting to brainstorm a better solution than we have. Instead of honoring the principle of a brainstorm (neither accept nor reject, but think about a suggestion) you immediately reject AND you offer NO alternative that addresses the point of the suggestion (in this case, that the gurilla units should not be able to mass like regulars either for an attack or because of logistic support issues).

But I have done better - by THINKING about the sugestion WITHOUT adopting it I was able to remember technical discussion of the "problem" with the static device. If you don't use several, and a unit is attacked, it tends to die, and the unit then moves - a big problem for a real static unit - but not for our purpose here. IF an enemy force moves into a hex AND IF it is effective in attacking, our gurilla unit will very likely lose its static device, retreat to a neighboring district, and then reform (and be static again). That makes them static in the sense the owning player cannot move them around - ignoring they are district oriented both for supply and also for expertise (their value is largely in that they know the area and its people) - yet they can move under pressure.

IF you "completely disagree" with this approach- THEN my alternative suggestion is say - as others have "the game cannot deal with gurilla units" so we DELETE ALL OF THEM.
NO unit is better simulation of their value than units that can attack major field formations with effect. The system I proposed allows field formations to coordinate with ONE gurilla unit - and that is doctrine too. [Read Mao's Military Writings]. And the idea the hex must be garrisoned or the unit might respawn is entirely the point - it is a major drain to try to do that in every hex of China - and that well represents what gurillas mean - it is good simulation. I didn't think of that - the respawn possibility - thanks - you make me think my concept is much better than I did when I dreamed it up. This is very close to a meaningful simulation of gurilla units, in spite of not being designed in. And it is probably completely wrong to represent them as sort of "small line units."

A problem you seem to have is coming to terms with the nature of politics in East Asia in the period. It is not only possible for Japan to do it right - they did do it right in vast areas of what we call China today. Manchukuo and two other nations - you might call one Lioning and the other Inner Mongolia (but that is not quite right - the first is three provinces and the second is only half of one - but an even bigger area) - were self governing areas NOT requiring garrison in the sense most of China did. They were sources of considerable troops actually in our game. There were very different political rules - and they were explicit. [For example, the Zaibatsu were FORBIDDEN to operate - not just forbidden to use pressed labor - forbidden to own anything or do anything. Even bigger, the policy was to ENCOURAGE immigration from CHINA, KOREA, RUSSIA and JAPAN - and to encourage - more than tolerate - small enterprises regardless of who owned them. They tried to go farther - to recruit German Jews - but this failed (see The Fugu Plan) - mostly due to US opposition. These policies resulted in a fantastic economic boom - a decade long one - during the great depression! The ONLY such boom in the world. Japan had a formula that worked and knew they had it.]
Aspects of these policies were adopted CHINA WIDE - and actually wider - in 1945 - in part as a sort of punishment of the colonial powers: Japan wanted to render their return to the pre-war status quo impossible, and they succeeded, except for Hong Kong.
There is no inherant reason that policies that worked need to be adopted exactly the same day in exactly the same place as they were.

Another story you probably don't hear is about "Japan's Rommel." While you know about Gen Yamashita from Malaya, and the Philippines, and maybe even as mid-war commander of Kwangtung Army, do you know about his campaign up the Yellow River as a division commander? He is probably the only Japanese general highly regarded among the Chinese of the era - and of the very place he was in the field against them. But we see the very same policies in Malaya - when he had a division commander dressed down before the entire division because of attempted extortion by three private soldiers of that unit. As usual - Japanese culture is habitually divided to an extent we cannot imagine in terms of our own - this is not the only - or even usual story for IJA. But it is a POSSIBLE story - and in fact a HISTORICAL story. Have you studied Tojo's career? Do you know he was sent to Manchukuo to bring renegade IJA officers to heel - and did so? In the event Tojo was insecure and feared Yamashita's popularity and talent - but it was probably not cast in stone that he made that choice. What about a situation in which - instead of sidelining Yamashita - he uses him as a front runner - and adopts his policies army wide? MUST the enemy always shoot himself in the foot? COULD we win if he did not? Historical simulatoin properly can address such possibilities.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 112
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 11:38:35 AM   
el cid again

quote:

But more limited reforms were not only possible

One reform most unlikely would be for the IJA to stop foraging for its sustenance...that was an essential part of the IJA supply "system" and bore a marked resemblance to similar systems in use in the West DURING THE THIRTY YEARS WAR.

Once again, you are attempting to generalize in a cultural context which defies accurate generalization. IF you generalize about Japan, you are probably going to be wrong, at least sometimes. Japanese culture is inherently divided, only superficially unified. [The need for consensus causes us to interpret this backwards - it means - often - any ONE person can block any proposal - even if 19 out of 20 others - including the "boss" - want it ! ] It is not at all unusual to have very different systems in place at the same time. In fact, it is the rule. Japanese supply was (with exceptions - there are always exceptions) not integrated: the army and navy had completely different systems, and civilians and contractors had yet another. Mid war this began to change - Japan had its own Speer - and it did devise common Army-Navy standards and designation systems - and even began to procure the same weapons and operate them together using the same procedures - see for example the Ki-67 story.] Japan had only one great captain - but not too surprisingly he was great at logistics. Nevertheless, it was known he was the best they had at the time - and there is no absolute reason they might not have followed his lead. He was sent to the Eastern Front in 1940 and asked to propose how IJA could take advantage of "lessons learned" there - and wrote a formal proposal to that end - which in the event was only partly and belatedly implemented. He was not alone either - the former commander of Kwangtung Army was sacked for making similar proposals after Nomanhan. There was great uncertainty about which faction would gain power? To think it MUST have been the faction that did is to misunderstand Japanese politics.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 113
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 11:46:36 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Obviously it's you who misunderstands the "nature" of Chinese troops. If the "millions" of Japanese Chinese troops were anything better than utterly useless, Japan would not have been forced to keep more than 80% of their in country armies in the rear garrisoning the rail network. This is a fact easily verified, Japan had to guard the rail net with their combat troops for the entire war, the Chinese troops they raised were useless and no way deserve to be included in the game. On the other hand the Chinese troops that forced the garrisoning to occur were very useful, hence the need for heavy military garrisons throughout the war.

For the record, no fact about the situation in China is "easily verified." For the record, KMT made real efforts to decieve the US before and during the Pacific War. For the record, even when they told the truth (as about Japanese bw attacks), we didn't believe them. And when we captured the bw scientists and DID believe them, then WE lied, and said there was no such thing, even when Russia put some on trial (which we called a "show trial" KNOWING it was a lie). China is central to the Pacific War - it is the actual causus belli - the issue over which the war was fought - and it was CHINESE policy that the US should enter.

IF you need confirmation that China might have lost to Japan, consider the utter conviction of senior KMT officials that the USA was "the last best hope for China." At one point the second highest KMT official defected to Japan, and many went with him - he might have set up a credible regime in his own right. Japan was tricked into dithering in official recognition by "negotiations" with Chiang - and in the end this defector came to be seen as a sort of Chinese Quisling. But there are important strains of Chinese culture (Confucian strains) that say recognizing the "Mandate of Heaven" is wise, not tratorious. If you are going to lose, you should not fight, but go along - it is a way to limit bloodshed - and it works too. For a tiny hint at CHINESE materials related to this - see a study by an academic named Yauli Sun called China and the Origins of the Pacific War (using almost entirely KMT archival materials).

Also for the record, you should know the modern Chinese military history is a very esoteric subject, little understood in the West - very reputable historians and soldiers and academics and analysts are often more wrong than right in what they write - even when they are sincere (which is not always). I am something of a writer on these matters, and some of my materials are used officially, as better than any others available. I do not really think ANYONE understands this subject comprehensively - but no one who is not using Chinese, Japanese and Russian materials can ever come close. Outside China, ONLY the Russians have ever done serious study of the economics that made Japan a success in Manchuria and North China in the 1930s, for example. You don't read Russian historians, you have never heard of it.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/1/2006 11:52:07 AM >

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 114
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 12:37:32 PM   
Black Mamba 1942

I see 5 Division size landings as a common happening in this game.
You should try a PBEM game, not just the AI.

This is common for the Japanese players.
I call it the "Atomic Flyswatter".
180-200000 men per assault. Yeah, ok.
So they did it TWICE.

Load em, go stomp a base.
Then reload, and go do it again elsewhere.

< Message edited by Black Mamba 1942 -- 4/1/2006 12:47:17 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/1/2006 2:53:12 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again
For the record, no fact about the situation in China is "easily verified." For the record, KMT made real efforts to decieve the US before and during the Pacific War. For the record, even when they told the truth (as about Japanese bw attacks), we didn't believe them. And when we captured the bw scientists and DID believe them, then WE lied, and said there was no such thing, even when Russia put some on trial (which we called a "show trial" KNOWING it was a lie). China is central to the Pacific War - it is the actual causus belli - the issue over which the war was fought - and it was CHINESE policy that the US should enter.

IF you need confirmation that China might have lost to Japan, consider the utter conviction of senior KMT officials that the USA was "the last best hope for China." At one point the second highest KMT official defected to Japan, and many went with him - he might have set up a credible regime in his own right. Japan was tricked into dithering in official recognition by "negotiations" with Chiang - and in the end this defector came to be seen as a sort of Chinese Quisling. But there are important strains of Chinese culture (Confucian strains) that say recognizing the "Mandate of Heaven" is wise, not tratorious. If you are going to lose, you should not fight, but go along - it is a way to limit bloodshed - and it works too. For a tiny hint at CHINESE materials related to this - see a study by an academic named Yauli Sun called China and the Origins of the Pacific War (using almost entirely KMT archival materials).

Also for the record, you should know the modern Chinese military history is a very esoteric subject, little understood in the West - very reputable historians and soldiers and academics and analysts are often more wrong than right in what they write - even when they are sincere (which is not always). I am something of a writer on these matters, and some of my materials are used officially, as better than any others available. I do not really think ANYONE understands this subject comprehensively - but no one who is not using Chinese, Japanese and Russian materials can ever come close. Outside China, ONLY the Russians have ever done serious study of the economics that made Japan a success in Manchuria and North China in the 1930s, for example. You don't read Russian historians, you have never heard of it.

While many of your points are valid and well thought out arguments, you’re missing the point by over complicating the issue. The only real issue is to try and recreate the historical reality of the situation on the ground in China, while trying to preserve enough flexibility for the players on both sides to enjoy the game.

Currently China is a fantasy land in the game right now. Japan fought China for five years and couldn’t win, but many players have crushed the entire country in just 6-8 months as things stand now.

Treespider’s idea is valid. Japan had the majority of its first line combat forces tied down on garrison duties throughout the war. While Chinas Guerilla forces didn’t have a hope in hell of directly assaulting first line Japanese formations, they were massive in numbers and could NOT be ignored or handled by a few police troops marching guard duty along the rail lines.

Vast areas of China (many larger than Texas or California in area) were never conquered by Japan and remained well in the rear of their lines. These areas all had sufficient cottage industries after 5 years of war to keep tens of thousands of troops armed and supplied in their regions. Granted the weaponry was primitive, but it was enough of a military threat to tie up massive numbers of Japanese troops for the entire war.

Lastly not all Chinese troops melted under pressure the way you seem to want others to believe. Japan lost entire divisions of troops to these “primitive” Chinese troops, two of which I believe were very modern mechanized divisions. Large numbers of the Chinese units were very capable and experienced combat formations by 1941, after all Japan was losing the China war by then.

So the only real issue we have is how to tie down large numbers of Japanese troops to occupation duties without making the Chinese an offensively powerful country. Their troops could and did fight very well defensively, but the Chinese government was not going to commit to any kind of an offensive strategy once the western allies had entered the war.

Representing the units on map is probably not a good solution given the mechanics of the game, so I think upping the partisan value is the best overall solution.

Now I know Japanese players love crushing the Chinese and don’t want to lose that aspect of their fun, but it is not a recreation of any kind of historical reality, it’s pure fantasy. Large Japanese offensives to try and capture the airfields should be possible in late 1944. But even those should be anything but easy, Japan should be forced to take risks and make strategic compromises in order to launch assaults on these bases.

The simplest solution seems to be to reduce the number of mobile forces available to Japan. Right now the 20+ division hammers that steamroll China need to be shaved to about 4-6 division’s max I think. Still an imposing force, but not the devastatingly overwhelming steamroller China faces now.

Jim

Post #: 116
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/2/2006 11:20:21 PM   
el cid again

quote:

I see 5 Division size landings as a common happening in this game.
You should try a PBEM game, not just the AI.

This is common for the Japanese players.
I call it the "Atomic Flyswatter".
180-200000 men per assault. Yeah, ok.
So they did it TWICE.

Load em, go stomp a base.
Then reload, and go do it again elsewhere.

I noticed in UV that the "force sizes" seem large. This seems to be more related to the way support is done than combat units. I never use more than a division to take something, but I have seen over a hundred thousand men! [Sounds like USMC in Iraq in 2003. Since when is 80,000 men a division?]

My advice is to pick opponents who simulate over gamers. But don't expect them NEVER to use a corps:

IJA stood up three divisions to invade Oahu. Midway made it moot. But it was certainly something IJA believed was possible.

Post #: 117
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/2/2006 11:34:59 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Currently China is a fantasy land in the game right now. Japan fought China for five years and couldn’t win, but many players have crushed the entire country in just 6-8 months as things stand now.

It is an assumption - and probably an invalid assumption - that Japan "could not" defeat China. It "did not" defeat China - a different kettle of fish entirely. Why play a game if the enemy MUST adopt the same, failed strategy? And IF the enemy DID commit the resources to win, why say it is "unrealistic?" Games are supposed to explore other options not taken. IF Japan could win and did try to win, it might take about 6-12 months IMHO. And note there is a terrible penalty if it does try: all the stuff sent to China is not avaiable somewhere else. Japan has a lot better chance of defeating China than it does of defeating Russia - but it can even do the latter - and did in 1906. Japan MIGHT have taken the Soviet Far East and plubbed the bottle at Chita, just as it planned.
But this is very hard to do - so hard it is impossible without lots of extra resources sent to that area - which then cannot face the Americans et al. Japan has problems - it can only do so much. But going to CHina is not only one of them, it is the point of the war.
China was nearly defeated - and Chiang was defeated in his mind - but by then the Chinese people would not forgive Japan and whould not follow Chiang if he surrendered.
History is not about what had to happen - it is about what did happen. If you don't understand why it might have been different, you don't understand events in a structural sense. Some tings truely are almost certain - but these are rare. China was at the wrong end of a century of mostly self inflicted deterioration grossly exaserbated by foreign colonial powers, of which Japan was merely the last and closest. IJA had a major faction OPPOSED to further adventures in China - it lost in bloody internal conlfict.
Had it won it is possible that China would have been on the OTHER side of WWII - it was a member of the Anti-Comintern Pact with Germany and Japan among others. CHiang was a dictator more in the fashist mold than a democrat - and don't get me started about Mao - the leading butcher of the century (eventually). China is a very complicated place, one in which trading in strategic materials with the enemy was SOP and even cultural. Presenting China as a place where giving it a modern army under unified control by the US player is not simulation - whatever it may be. Chinese troops were MORE likely to fight OTHER CHINESE troops than Japanese troops for most of the war - and more likely still not to fight anybody.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/2/2006 11:36:52 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/2/2006 11:45:03 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Japan lost entire divisions of troops to these “primitive” Chinese troops, two of which I believe were very modern mechanized divisions.

Neither the PLA nor the KMT claim to have had "modern mechanized divisions." There were ten relatively modern divisions in KMT - trained by GERMANY in the days when China, Japan and Germany were allies! These were all expended in the battle for Nanjing - although possibly two survived well enough in tact they might have later become a force again. And with Lend Lease trucks, they might eventually have been called "motorized" - although that would be grossly misleading I am sure. IJA 5th division is called motorized or mechanized sometimes - but its infantry moved on bicycles! Almost half its supply train (40%) was draft! China never fielded a divsion with most of its supply in trucks, much less the infantry as well, until the PLA decided to adopt the policy "everybody rides" in the 1990s. [To this day KMT formations are mostly not motorized, and they are walking infantry. The active army of Taiwan today has tried to motorize - and found it could not afford the trucks. We have cases where motorized and mechanized brigades combine to give enough vehicles for one to move - and the other is disbanded.] I do research on both Nationalist and Communist army forces - my OB on the latter runs 140 pages - and I track their battle honors back to the War of Resistence. There are claims of victories in that period - but victory should not be interpreted as "wiping out" enemy divisions.

Post #: 119
RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... - 4/2/2006 11:54:15 PM   
el cid again

quote:

So the only real issue we have is how to tie down large numbers of Japanese troops to occupation duties without making the Chinese an offensively powerful country. Their troops could and did fight very well defensively, but the Chinese government was not going to commit to any kind of an offensive strategy once the western allies had entered the war.

Representing the units on map is probably not a good solution given the mechanics of the game, so I think upping the partisan value is the best overall solution.

Now I know Japanese players love crushing the Chinese and don’t want to lose that aspect of their fun, but it is not a recreation of any kind of historical reality, it’s pure fantasy. Large Japanese offensives to try and capture the airfields should be possible in late 1944. But even those should be anything but easy, Japan should be forced to take risks and make strategic compromises in order to launch assaults on these bases.

The simplest solution seems to be to reduce the number of mobile forces available to Japan. Right now the 20+ division hammers that steamroll China need to be shaved to about 4-6 division’s max I think. Still an imposing force, but not the devastatingly overwhelming steamroller China faces now.

I am willling to accept that the present system may not be perfect with respect to China. Nothing else is - why should China be different? And the land combat system is biusted anyway - I doubt we can fix it no matter what we do until the same hex combat system is better written. [It can be done by the way - it just has not been done]. I think increasing garrison requirements is a valid idea - but don't think we should just dream of code changes - we need to invent real ways to do it. I am very pleased with the idea of gurilla units being immoble and intend to test it now. It is a very good way to tie down troops and make the units different from line units. I also am fairly pleased with the idea of breaking up Japanese brigades that, in fact, never fought as brigades.
No hammer then, and more ability to spread out and garrison. I think that the Japanese need more local troops as well - I note these have been added by CHS in some places and, since I use that foundation, you will see them in RHS. I am also testing giving CCP/PLA an independent command. But the biggest change is to give China more mountains, a few more towns/bases, and more trails - so units are not cut off from supply. Many local places get local economies - this will help a lot I bet.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Partisan Formula needs to be recoded... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI