Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 2:10:49 PM   
wodin

Sorry.

The book is called "Secrets of Rue St Roch".

Its about the recruitment of a Luxemburg Local and how she was trained and the work she did watching the main Luxemburg Railway Station.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 31
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 10:06:12 PM   
sol_invictus

Originally, turns consisted of three months each, but from the screenshots it appears that they now consist of two months. Are turns now two months? I much prefer two month turns as opposed to three. One month turns would be ideal, imo, but I really hope the change to two month turns is actual.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 32
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 10:28:56 PM   
pasternakski

Please correct the spelling of "dreadnaught," unless there is something in the game that has to do with being afraid of naughtiness...

I remember a screenshot of UV before it was published in which the spelling "Guadacanal" appeared. It was corrected, but we still had to live with the "Bismark Sea." Let's be careful out there...

This game looks very interesting, and I hope that those of us who have waited patiently - and quietly - for lo these many years will find it enjoyable.

As an aside, I would not favor NATO unit symbols, as they are anachronistic and would detract from the historical "look" of the game - which, as some have suggested, could maybe use a little work.

The unit "counters" could stand better emphasis on the various values presented, I think, with numbers perhaps presented in a colored circle or oval...

Yes to on-map depiction of rail lines!

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 10:52:46 PM   
sol_invictus

The more I look at the screenshots, the more I like the map graphics. I really like the look of Mountains and I am greatly impressed that Rivers are hexside, but are depicted in a realistic way with many turns and bends. While I would prefer a NATO/Figure option for the units, the Figures do look nice and if this is the only way they are going to look, I am not horribly bothered with that.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 34
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/22/2006 11:45:02 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

As an aside, I would not favor NATO unit symbols, as they are anachronistic and would detract from the historical "look" of the game - which, as some have suggested, could maybe use a little work.

How anachronistic? "NATO" unit symbols were not invented by NATO. The "X" symbol for infantry and the "/" for cavalry existed well before NATO was ever formed. NATO simply developed a standard and the term "NATO symbols" stuck. Many of the "NATO" symbols were being used since before the Napoleonic Wars; but they weren't standardized in any way.

Post #: 35
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 4:23:16 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Originally, turns consisted of three months each, but from the screenshots it appears that they now consist of two months.

I think the amount of operational turns there are per strategic turn is based on the time of year. So for winter you get only 2 operational turns per strategic turn, while for summer you get 3 or 4.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 36
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 5:21:23 AM   
sol_invictus

Yeah, I think I remember now some talk about this over a year ago. Thanks for jogging the ole brain. I hope to see someone who is a beta tester or some other official spokesperson dropping by and answering a few of the questions in the thread.

I remember that Frank seemed fairly committed to the idea that England would have entered the War against Germany eventually, invasion of Belgium or not. I wonder how that whole question has played out. I hope that a "German Eastern Gambit" is a viable option. Sure, it could blow up in the German's face if England enters the war early even without a German invasion of Belgium, but it should be an option, with risks. I would think that a belligerent England with a completely free hand would have a few interesting strategic options.

Of course there is also American intervention to ponder as well. Are they also automatic eventually, even without the unrestricted U-Boat campaign, and all Germany can hope for is to delay entry? Those seem to be the two critical strategic variables for the Germans. I can maybe see British intervention without a German invasion of Belgium, but I cannot see American intervention without the unrestricted U-Boat campaign. There's also that little matter about that Zimmerman fellow, wonder how that will be handled? So many questions.

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 6/23/2006 5:23:19 AM >

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 37
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 9:18:02 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine
How anachronistic? "NATO" unit symbols were not invented by NATO. The "X" symbol for infantry and the "/" for cavalry existed well before NATO was ever formed. NATO simply developed a standard and the term "NATO symbols" stuck. Many of the "NATO" symbols were being used since before the Napoleonic Wars; but they weren't standardized in any way.

As we are all wargamers, I think we pretty much know the history of military unit type symbology here, with crossed muskets, triangular cavalry pennants and the like. What I was addressing is exactly what you mention, the "standardized" NATO symbol system.

And I still don't want to see it grafted onto WWI era units, any more than I would want to see symbols from the Napoleonic era used ("anachronistic" is both forward and rearward looking, you see). What is in the game now is okay with me, but, as I said, I would like to see it refined to some degree, perhaps with reference to what the actual combatants used on their maps and charts in the early 20th century (I have looked into this some, but I am not the designer, so I have said what I wanted to say on this subject, and now I'm going to shut up about it).

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 38
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 12:34:54 PM   
wodin

quote:

And I still don't want to see it grafted onto WWI era units,

I agree. I want the look to be as authentic as possible.

Post #: 39
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 1:05:51 PM   
pvthudson01

Yeah I like the counters the way they are now

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 40
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 2:48:58 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

And I still don't want to see [NATO symbols] grafted onto WWI era units, any more than I would want to see symbols from the Napoleonic era used ("anachronistic" is both forward and rearward looking, you see). What is in the game now is okay with me, but, as I said, I would like to see it refined to some degree, perhaps with reference to what the actual combatants used on their maps and charts in the early 20th century (I have looked into this some, but I am not the designer, so I have said what I wanted to say on this subject, and now I'm going to shut up about it).

Heh, didn't mean to be contentious here, pasternakski! It's just that the "legitimacy" of the so-called NATO symbols has been called into question recently on several forums I peruse (a conspiracy? ) and it seems they need some defense from those who believe that they originated from NATO. That said, I don't disagree that contemporary WWI symbols would be great, as long as they are "military" symbols. I recall studying the Official German history "Der Weltkrieg" and their situation sketch maps seemed to use something akin to NATO symbols; maybe infantry as a solid block instead of an "X", I can't recall, but nothing really novel.

As I said earlier on this thread, I think the pictures of soldiers currently displayed are pretty uneven (some samples of that art translate to small computer graphics better than others). Good thing about a symbol is that if done well -- like the current symbol for HQ's in the game -- they are of uniformly high quality, informative and hopefully authentic. Conveys a more military feel to some of us than pix of little men...

Post #: 41
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 2:59:34 PM   
pvthudson01

A well drawn soldier or horse cart graphic is more appealing than an "X" or whatever a horse drawn unit NATO symbol may look like. Also it helps differentiate the units at a glance rather than being so abstract. I think that for WW1 this is just fine and adds to the flavor of the game. I have seen this done in a few board games and computer games and when pulled off well, it looks fantastic. Dont doubt the artistic ability of the game designers just yet

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 42
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/23/2006 8:11:54 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

A well drawn soldier or horse cart graphic is more appealing than an "X" or whatever a horse drawn unit NATO symbol may look like. Also it helps differentiate the units at a glance rather than being so abstract. I think that for WW1 this is just fine and adds to the flavor of the game. I have seen this done in a few board games and computer games and when pulled off well, it looks fantastic. Dont doubt the artistic ability of the game designers just yet

I think that the game will appeal to hard core wargamers though, and many of them prefer the NATO symbols they are accustomed to. Having a second set of unit graphics doesn't seem like it would take much effort and I think it would appease a large subset of the potential customer base.

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 43
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 1:58:02 AM   
EUBanana

Graphics seem fine to me.  As Lava said, its not really the graphics that draw with a game like this.

Can't wait!  I'm a bit of a WW1 buff I think, and aside from History Line which is ten years old now I've never played a WW1 game before.  This one looks worthy!

I'll be downloading it the day it comes out!

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 44
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 2:00:25 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

quote:

Might I suggest an option of counters or pretty little pictures, like Hearts of Iron has?

Personally I'd prefer pretty little pictures over counters. They seem fine to me. A map full of X's in boxes would make my eyes bug out...

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 45
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 6:15:06 AM   
siRkid

Looking forward to getting this one. Last WWI game I played was an AH game back in the late 60's.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 46
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 6:32:47 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Looking forward to getting this one. Last WWI game I played was an AH game back in the late 60's.

Actually, my wife had a garage sale a few months ago and as we were packing up at the end of it I found my old copy of the AH title "Guns of August". She had found it somewhere and put it out for sale, but obviously (to my delight) no one had been willing to part with 50 cents for it. We lost about 30 minutes of packing up activity as I took a break to look it over.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 47
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 6:36:40 AM   
sabre100

Any timeframe when we can expect to have this one out by?   I am looking forward to it as well

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 48
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/26/2006 7:29:33 AM   
sol_invictus

jchastain, I had to drag my old copy of GOA out a couple of weeks ago and set up all the counters. Brought back some fond memories. I hope your wife realizes that thoughtlessly selling old wargames is cause for divorce; or at least having to listen to some major bitching.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 49
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/27/2006 6:31:41 AM   
sol_invictus

I noticed in one of the posts by Frank when he was explaining the delay, that originally, the beta was to have started last Sep. in anticipation of a Christmas release. Now, since the beta started in June, I think it might be reasonable for us to expect the game to be released in the Sep-Oct timeframe. This is my hope at least.

Post #: 50
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/27/2006 10:36:19 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

I think it might be reasonable for us to expect the game to be released in the Sep-Oct timeframe. This is my hope at least.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

<<burp>>

Haha.

Ahem.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

<<cough, cough>>

Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee.

Thanks, Arinvald. We all need a good laugh now and then.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 51
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/27/2006 12:21:38 PM   
Terminus

That was sort of phunny...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 52
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/27/2006 4:34:30 PM   
sol_invictus

pasternakski, please don't destroy my happy delusions. I have waited so long for this game.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 53
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/28/2006 6:32:12 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

pasternakski, please don't destroy my happy delusions. I have waited so long for this game.

Me, too, pal, but I'm afraid we're going to be waiting awhile longer.

Oh - very phunny yerself, there, Terminus, old sport. Wait until you see my text yodeling sometime when I get the chance to post some...

< Message edited by pasternakski -- 6/28/2006 6:35:20 AM >

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 54
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/28/2006 7:25:59 PM   
sol_invictus

Well, call me crazy, but I do think it will be released this year.

Post #: 55
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 6/29/2006 5:17:23 PM   
Minority Report

I have been following this forum quitely for some time now, and I am also glad that Matrix is now offering some screenshots.

IMO, the terrain looks like a picture taken from orbit, realistic and beautiful, but quite anachronistic for a WWI game. I am wondering if Matrix/Frank would agree to try the terrain graphics developed for Matrix World in Flames (MWIF).

I do not know if there are legal/copyright issues involved here, but from a technical point of view this should be relatively easy to do, and this would give a more "1914 look" to the game, without having a dull brown map (closer to the real maps used in 1914). Also, the MWIF developer is thinking changing the colors with the weather/season (snow, mud, etc) (assuming that weather/season is also part of GoA), this would add even more to the game without having to duplicate efforts.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 56
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 7/14/2006 9:28:08 PM   
Murat

quote:

quote:

Yes the cav/inf/art symbols existed but not the tanks air and naval units that NATO/CinCAF created.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 57
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 7/15/2006 1:14:13 AM   
bschulte1978

Ever since playing the board game "Guns of August" from Avalon Hill, I've been waiting for a PC equivalent. Although I'm mainly an American Civil War gamer, I'll be buying this one regrdless of what the counters look like!

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 58
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 8/24/2006 8:28:47 PM   
Syagrius

[/quote]

Might I suggest an option of counters or pretty little pictures, like Hearts of Iron has?

Personally I'd prefer pretty little pictures over counters. They seem fine to me. A map full of X's in boxes would make my eyes bug out...
[/quote]
Yeah, same for me, a game can have great gameplay and at the same time looking good no?

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 59
RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots - 8/29/2006 6:35:58 AM   
TexHorns

Please no sprites as units. Use counters. You can do so many creative things with counters to make them aesthetically pleasing. ( see Clash of Arms games)

I hated the sprites that HOI used and preferred playing with the nato symbols.

(in reply to Syagrius)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: New Guns Of August Screenshots Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI