Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Late March 1862

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Late March 1862 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:27:31 AM   
jchastain

Disease in Rhode Island. If it has to hit someplace, that sure is a nice place for it to go with only two useless garrisons to infect.

Looks like we nudged France back down, but still no progress on the others. I need that cash elsewhere and I'm not sure how much more patience I can afford.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 151
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:29:09 AM   
jchastain

OK, let's see what really happened. Gregg finally made it back to Washington. That's a relief. I guess miracles really do happen. Note to self: don't go into Fredericksburg again until you're ready and able to stay and take the place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 152
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:30:39 AM   
jchastain

Looking to the west, it appears that the massive reorg kept them busy. That really isn't that much of a surprise to be honest. And it likely works to my advantage in that now I can use my stickpile of weapons to properly equip them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 153
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:50:51 AM   
jchastain

It is likely time to take a slight diversion and share why I've been waiting so eagerly for the new weapons. As happens so often, there is a little side note in the story that needs to be told, but I suppose I may as well share it all.

Most of the stats for weapons are used for Detailed Combat - what we often call Hex War or HW for short. When you are just using Quick Combat, thinks like firepower at a given range are meaningless. Therefore, each weapon has a Quick Combat value which more or less represents the high level value of a given weapon type overall. That QC value is the firepower that the weapon has in Quick Combat and determines how much damage a firing unit does.

Unfortunately, the graphics and final tool tips for the weapon selection/purchase screens were only recently completed as part of the graphics refresh and while they include the majority of the detailed combat information to allow players to evaluate options, they forgot to show the QC value. Oooops. In the playtesting, this has been reported and I suspect it will be addressed at some point, but it is really just a convenience thing so it almost surely won't be fixed prior to release. At this point, the most important thing is that the game be stable at launch - they don't want to accidentally break anything when trying to fix a non-critical issue because there might not be enough testing time left to find it.

Anyway, since the game is quite moddable, I just went in and added the QC values (as well as the siege values which are also not shown) to the name of the weapons in the data file on my machine. It is just a quick little fix that allows me to be lazy and see these values without having to print a reference page. I explain all of that only because I want everyone to know that the numbers we'll be discussing in the shot below are not part of the game right now. They are available in the manual. I'd happily share my little mod file. And they will likely be added in a patch at some point in the future if buyers agree with me that it would be nice to have them. But this is slightly different from what most purchasers will see at launch. OK?

I didn't think to grab this cap until after I had equipped the army, so most of the options are greyed out. But you can still see the numbers.

Improvised weapons (which you can't buy and are the default weapon if you have nothing else) have a QC value of 0. Shotguns do too. A musket has a 1, and a Minir Rifle and Springfield both have a 2. If anyone has been wondering why I have been buying minies instead of springfields up until now, it is because they both have a QC value of 2 yet the minie is cheaper - costing 20 guns instead of 30. Enfields have a QC value of 4 and the Improved Springfields have a value of 6. They have a firepower 3x as good as the minies that have been the mainstay of the army thus far. That is definitely worth buying for my highest quality troops!

The challenge with better weapons is that they tend to require more supply. Under upkeep, you'll see that they consume $0+2S each turn. So, it costs no more money but it uses 2 points of strategic supply. That means the army will require additional supply which eventually is translated back into more infantry support. Supply levels are averaged within a division, so if I sprinkle a few of these around then the impact should be lessened. But if anyone were to drop a lot of these into a single division, its supply status would drop like a rock.

Anyway, while we can it is time to buy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 154
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:53:11 AM   
jchastain

And here is a representative section of the army showing where I am dropping them in to the troops with the highest quality levels. I put as many as I could into people's hands. That stockpile of guns definitely came in handy and at the end of the day, the delays allow me to carry a lot more firepower as I begin the offensive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 155
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:56:32 AM   
jchastain

While I'm thinking about the costs of things, let's go ahead and reduce diplomacy some. I'm getting a bonus for France right now and want to take advantage of it, but they are not tilting toward the South at all. 20 should be enough there and hopefully we'll make a little more progress and can cut it off bonus or not. England and Europe still need investment as they are too close to the rebs for comfort. Surely by now the rebs are moving their cash to other things, so I'll try keeping them each at 30 and see if I can make any more progress with that middle of the road investment.

That still leaves 80 invested in diplomacy, which isn't chicken feed. But at least I'm starting to free up a little cash.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 156
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:58:51 AM   
jchastain

OK, back to the map. My Army from Wheeling made it into Kentucky, but not down next to Knoxville. Let's take another step closer and just make sure there isn't anything unexpected down there and we'll see how Abington reacts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 157
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:02:26 AM   
jchastain

In the west, we'll allow the cannon fodder army to begin a siege of the river fort in the river between Paducah and Bowling Green - the enemy still holds that fort though it looks pretty deserted. I'll bring the gunboats in for support as well. Meanwhile, the battle ready army will converge on Nashville and attempt to execute the plan from last turn. This time, I expect them to make it unless that river fort holds more than I think and is able to intervene.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 158
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:10:42 AM   
jchastain

While I used up my entire stock of guns this turn, the other resources are starting to inch up since I haven't had the cash to buy the troops I really wanted. With the war starting in earnest, it likely isn't a bad idea to add another camp and I can always use more horses to build cav and add even more camps. Let's spend some of this excess labor on a few horse farms - they'll go to Lansing mostly because it has building capacity and a full population and builds horses already. Camp output doesn't depend on population like economic production does, so I'll just dump that in Davenport where the depleted population won't mater. Speaking of population, we should get a little refresh next turn. Often I'll pull a few more cheap units out of the cities right before the refresh but I think it best not to do so this year. For one, infantry (what is always mustered or conscripted) takes 2 men and the refresh just provides 1, so I would still take a hit economically. Plus it upsets the governors and they have been fairly cooperative so far and why mess with that when I am starting to like the odds of the army I have in the field right now. I'll just wait and hopefully be able to start buying high quality units once again soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 159
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:12:06 AM   
jchastain

That's it for another turn.  I'm beginning to get a little gun shy to predict a fight, but hopefully we'll finally apply that beating I keep promising to the rebs this time around.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 160
RE: Late March 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:43:05 AM   
jchastain

2426 casualties from the siege? Clearly that fort isn't deserted. It is late at night and all, but I should have taken a closer look at that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 161
Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:45:08 AM   
jchastain

The population boost should help a little. My fear though is it will do him more good than me.

2 new mines and 3 new mints. Fine.

Europe support for the CSA increases? Sigh. OK. We know what we have to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 162
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:47:20 AM   
jchastain

My first ART unit arrived. We'll get that up to the front and let's get Cleveland building a siege art unit. I'll build another corp in Harrisburg and hopefully get these troops even better organized.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 163
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:49:50 AM   
jchastain

I'm eager to begin the attack in the west, but yet again I've made the mistake of getting myself entangled in an enemy fort en route to my chosen battle site. OK, time to take that lesson to heart. I'll try for Nashville one last time. If it fails again, I'll just focus the entire army on knocking out the fort and freeing myself from it.

I've been very lucky with disease so far. Please God don't let my battle ready army be ravaged while caught in this swamp.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 164
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:50:58 AM   
jchastain

Let's move the garbage army down to Knoxville. I suspect the numbers alone will keep him from engaging me unless he pulls more troops in from somewhere else.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 165
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:53:20 AM   
jchastain

Time to deal with Diplomacy. Again. Bonus or no bonus, I need to focus on Other Europe more than I need to on the French.

97 money produced with that. 100 might not be far from 97, but that few coins can be all the difference in the world when trying to buy something. Let's see if I can find those last few coins.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 166
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:54:37 AM   
jchastain

I've got an excess of labor at the moment. Even though I lose a little efficiency, it is time to move a few more cities over from producing labor to making desperately needed cash.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 167
RE: Early April 1862 - 11/12/2006 9:55:54 AM   
jchastain

It is too late at night and my mind is far too tired to worry about much else.  I'll send it back to Gil and clean up any unseen messes in the morning.  G'night all.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 168
Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:35:01 PM   
jchastain

Lots of casualties on both sides in the siege on the lower Tenn river. But I don't see any battles, so that is continuing to slow my advance out West, and therefore slow the entire war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 169
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:36:20 PM   
jchastain

Diplomactic front is quiet. I left enough there to hope to make some progress, but at least I didn't lose ground.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 170
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:38:57 PM   
jchastain

In the east, we have 2 new artillery units. Those early investments are just now starting to blossum. Ideally, I'd like to see a stream of new units starting to come on-line, but the drain of my diplomatic spending will prevent that. This is pretty much all I'll get for a while so I need to make it work. I'll send one ART to the AoP and get the other (plus the one from last turn) out to the west. AoP will become a focal point next year, but the west is my focus right now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 171
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:42:11 PM   
jchastain

Looks like we have 2 divisions coming from the west in reaction to my Knoxville feint. That isn't much of a fighting army, so I'll pull back to Lexington. I did sprinkle a few improved springfields to the few decent brigades there, so even if he does catch me I should give him a few wounds to lick. But mostly I just want to keep running running around in circles chasing his shadow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 172
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:47:25 PM   
jchastain

Out west, I've destroyed about a brigades and it appesrs he has just under that still remaining. Looks like it was two garrisons, with one down and one to go. If I can get this over with, I can attack and hopefully decimate the remainder of his western forces. Best of all they are sitting in open ground so I won't even have to worry about getting entangled in more of his forts. Looks like I have several long slow sieges ahead of me though. But that's what the junk armies are for. If I can destroy Sibley and Hindman, then I can turn on Johnston and Bragg and sweep through a lightly defended tennessee and then on into Virginia while the siegers do their long slow slog out here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 173
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:48:23 PM   
jchastain

My other ART unit is sitting in springfield right now. Might as well get it on down to the army while they are stuck there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 174
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:52:29 PM   
jchastain

I really wish I could upgrade those ART weapons, but my Imp Springfield spending has my gun supply spent. The 6 pd guns those guys are sporting have a QC value of 10. That's pretty good. But Ordnance rifles have a value of 30. That's one mean gun so I need to try to get those puppies upgraded before too long. I think I'm probably fine with him as split up as he is, but more is mo better. None of these help with Sieges at all though. Seeing his build up of these forts, I will need that siege artillery I have on order and likely several more beyond that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 175
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:54:35 PM   
jchastain

Back to the current siege though, these guys are holding up the entire strategy of the war. Time to quit messing with them and get serious. I outnumber them by more than 50 to 1. Time to just attack the fort and get this over with.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 176
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 7:55:26 PM   
jchastain

Back in Knowville, I'll go ahead and duck and run.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 177
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:00:03 PM   
jchastain

Now, time to spend and build. I like having my Art coming onto line, but I'd really like another Cav or two. I have none at all in the east and I'm still lighter than I'd like to be in the west. Since I have the horses to do it, I'll get one in the hopper. The ordnance rifle shortage has also convinced me that I ought to get some additional arsenals to produce more guns. They are pretty cheap - the real problem is finding cities with the capacity to hold them. I think I can seed half a dozen in to some of my smaller cities. Every little bit helps I suppose.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 178
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:01:33 PM   
jchastain

That pretty much depletes my excess of labor. And I'm thinking about buying a few Infantry units in upcoming months. While they aren't as sexy, good quality trrops to anchor the line is important. Since they use as much labor as cash, I'm thinking I ought to switch New York back to producing labor once again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 179
RE: Late April 1862 - 11/12/2006 8:02:15 PM   
jchastain

Looking at diplomacy.... there's really not much to do with it. I'll just leave it alone for now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Late March 1862 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI