Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Early September 1862

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Early September 1862 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:05:39 PM   
jchastain

I'm still not exactly sure where they are heading. The Rebs never laid siege to Pensacola so I still hold the fort there. Perhaps I should use that as a base of operations and then move to take Tallahassee. Another advantage to landing in that area is I'm not too far from meeting the Mississippi forces. That's both good and bad. Good, because a better supply network is within reach. Bad, because the goal of this thing is to spread him out so I don't want the threats all clumped together. Oh well, there is time to make those decisions and I'll get a lot more visibility into my options when I get some ships off the coast.

The obvious worry is that he does have a Navy. With all he must have spent on Diplomacy and the obvious need for his army, I doubt he was able to invest in it in any meaningful way. But there's still a chance something will come after me. But that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 331
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:06:23 PM   
jchastain

My first siege artillery has been completed. I'll move that towards the front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 332
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:07:21 PM   
jchastain

Once combined with a few others, we'll see if it can get down to the reserve army I have sitting in Southern Illinois.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 333
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:08:52 PM   
jchastain

My New Jersey siege Arty shouldn't be far behind now. Yup, looks like I'll have it next turn. I just need to get these things down to Jackson somehow. And I need to remember to upgrade the guns to something big before they leave friendly territory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 334
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:10:16 PM   
jchastain

The army must continue to grow. I'll place another order for Artillery. The fighting kind, not the sieging kind. His forces are still the biggest threat I face.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 335
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:11:47 PM   
jchastain

While I'm thinking about it, might as well go ahead and pander to the folks back home. Now... by popular demand... allow me to introduce you to.... the US 11th Corp.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 336
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:12:33 PM   
jchastain

Check supply once again. As usual, a few tweaks are in order.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 337
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:14:27 PM   
jchastain

Check income. It was slightly negative, but I made one more reduction in the diplomacy spending to keep us even since the treasury is a bit low. Surely someone will ask what happens if you go negative. The answer is, I don't know. But I'm guessing it wouldn't be a positive thing so I'm going to avoid that happening.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 338
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:15:54 PM   
jchastain

End of turn. That was quite a lot actually. And now, there's another advance. Logistics this time and the option for a badly needed boost to my camps. Done.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 339
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 12:18:54 PM   
jchastain

And while no one was looking last turn, I did another little demotion to make room for Thomas to get a well deserved 2nd star.

That's it. Lots going on now. Let's hope it pays off. Also, it is getting close to time to start paying attention to the calendar. In another couple of turns, we'll be positioning for winter and I'll want to ensure I have open supply lines and, ideally, I'll position to siege through the winter while he can't interfere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 340
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 1:33:56 PM   
Paper Tiger

Resilient and Polar Bears also Night owls, what benefits do these give?

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 341
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 2:28:53 PM   
Grifman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

If I am going to try to spread him out by giving him too many threats to address, then I need to get them in action and the best way I see to throw him off is to use that fleet that has thus far been inactive. I think it is time to mobilize the Navy.

Bingo. Sure you have alot of stuff that needs doing but this has been my primary observation/criticism the whole game. He's got a huge coastline to defend, and you've done nothing to threaten any of it. By this time in the war I think the North had taken Norfolk, New Orleans, Eastern NC and Port Royal, SC. You've got nothing. He can't defend everywhere.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 342
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 4:13:37 PM   
marecone

I stopped here

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue."

Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 343
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 4:23:28 PM   
fabertong

jchastain.......Thanks for the great AAR.....could you post a turn routine(what you check, in what order)......I can gather the feel of how you play ........but would love to see a simple breakdown.......please.........(always be polite....I tell my 5 year old twins)...........

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 344
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:01:20 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

Resilient and Polar Bears also Night owls, what benefits do these give?

Here is the full list of special abilities straight from the manual.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 345
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:10:54 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grifman

quote:

If I am going to try to spread him out by giving him too many threats to address, then I need to get them in action and the best way I see to throw him off is to use that fleet that has thus far been inactive. I think it is time to mobilize the Navy.

Bingo. Sure you have alot of stuff that needs doing but this has been my primary observation/criticism the whole game. He's got a huge coastline to defend, and you've done nothing to threaten any of it. By this time in the war I think the North had taken Norfolk, New Orleans, Eastern NC and Port Royal, SC. You've got nothing. He can't defend everywhere.

I probably do tend to be overly cautious. I still worry about dividing my forces and allowing him to engage them piecemiel. If the ANV moves south, and that isn't all together unlikely, I'm not sure how much progress I can make while he's away or just how much it would hurt my VP calcs to let him kick one or more of those poor quality sieging armies across the map. If I loose those forces, it really isn't a big deal. They are essentially cannon fodder anyway. But the population doesn't like to hear about losing fight after fight so it would adversely affect both my VP and my NW, plus it just helps the quality of his fighting troops get better.

I was hoping to just steam roll in the west while keeping him preoccupied in the east. But he managed to build 2 giant stacks that I'm not comfortable engaging. I'm hoping he'll divide those stacks into smaller elements that I can successfully engagage. But I am definitely outside of my comfort zone with this approach. It will be fun to see how it plays out though.

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 346
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:11:23 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: marecone

I stopped here

Thanks for coming by.

(in reply to marecone)
Post #: 347
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:20:02 PM   
elmo3

Thanks for posting the table. Shouldn't arty be a "0" for the Wild and Blasted abilities? Maybe typos?

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 11/16/2006 7:27:39 PM >

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 348
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:36:47 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

jchastain.......Thanks for the great AAR.....could you post a turn routine(what you check, in what order)......I can gather the feel of how you play ........but would love to see a simple breakdown.......please.........(always be polite....I tell my 5 year old twins)...........

Believe it or not, the sequence you see is pretty much what I am doing each turn.

• I start with the Event Reports to get an idea of what happened.
  • Then I scroll around the map to see how far I got and check out any moves he made.
  • I generally decide on a course of action from examining the map and poking my mouse in to look at various armies. Sometimes I'll just go ahead and move - sometimes I'll check the logistics first. It really depends on what has been happening. If the army was sitting still, I'm generally confident logistics are fine. If things are more tenuous, I'll go check the numbers before committing to the moves.
  • I then tend to do my builds. The city list is where I tend to do them. Though sometimes when I am tooling around the map making my moves, I'll plop in somewhere to get things going.
  • Towards the end, I'll scan a few things. Supplies (Military List) is usually the first. My income and diplomacy (Nation Screen). Sometimes I'll look at Research. Occasionally I might look at governors (though I often rely on the Events report to tell me when I seriously need to do something). I probably should do this much sooner, but I get all excited by the tactics and tend to get caught up in that first. Were I giving recommendations for building good habits though, I'd definitely suggest doing this sooner. I can't tell you how many times I've spent all my resources and then noticed that I really should have built something for a governor instead of whatever I did. At the start of the game, I was pretty good about checking Diplomacy early since that is such a money pit and is so important to everything else.

My nature isn't to be highly orderly or disciplined (which is why it is likely a very good thing that I chose a career in business instead of the military). That probably comes out in watching me meander through my moves. I am truly a casual gamer at best. When you read Hard Sarge's accounts, you are watching a master at work. I continue to be amazed at the depth of thought he applies to his actions. In comparison, I'm a hack. But these types of games are still a nice little diversion that I really enjoy (even though I am quite sure I'll never make the hall of fame for any of them).

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 349
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:38:00 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Thanks for posting the table. Shouldn't arty be a "0" for the Wild and Blasted abilities? Maybe typos?

Hmmmm. I think you have a point on both accounts. I'll pass that along. Thanks.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 350
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 7:53:51 PM   
elmo3

quote:

• Then I scroll around the map to see how far I got and check out any moves he made.

• Is there any kind of PBEM replay where you see opponents forces move or appear/disappear based on the turns intel or a clash of flag icons where a battle took place? I assume not or you would have mentioned it but thoght I'd ask anyway

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 351
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 8:04:57 PM   
    jchastain

quote:

quote:

• Is there any kind of PBEM replay where you see opponents forces move or appear/disappear based on the turns intel or a clash of flag icons where a battle took place? I assume not or you would have mentioned it but thoght I'd ask anyway

Nope. Nothing like that. The event report and then just looking at the map really are the best source I've found for seeing what has happened. While there likely is some additional detail that might be helpful in some of the reports, generally speaking you get a pretty good feel for things with what you're given.

(in reply to elmo3)
    Post #: 352
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 8:47:41 PM   
    ericbabe

quote:

quote:

Hmmmm. I think you have a point on both accounts. I'll pass that along. Thanks.

Thanks for catching this elmo3. I have fixed it in the game files, but it may be too late to change the manual. I'll at least add an errata to the readme file.

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 353
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 8:53:06 PM   
    elmo3

Glad to help. I got the nickname "eagle eye" from one designer who I have been beta testing with for years. Nice to see I haven't lost my touch.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 11/16/2006 8:57:32 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
    Post #: 354
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/16/2006 11:18:49 PM   
    AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

While I'm thinking about it, might as well go ahead and pander to the folks back home. Now... by popular demand... allow me to introduce you to.... the US 11th Corp.

The ANV will surely be quaking in their bare feet at this news!

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 355
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 1:02:24 AM   
    Grifman

quote:

I probably do tend to be overly cautious. I still worry about dividing my forces and allowing him to engage them piecemiel. If the ANV moves south, and that isn't all together unlikely, I'm not sure how much progress I can make while he's away or just how much it would hurt my VP calcs to let him kick one or more of those poor quality sieging armies across the map. If I loose those forces, it really isn't a big deal. They are essentially cannon fodder anyway. But the population doesn't like to hear about losing fight after fight so it would adversely affect both my VP and my NW, plus it just helps the quality of his fighting troops get better.

I was hoping to just steam roll in the west while keeping him preoccupied in the east. But he managed to build 2 giant stacks that I'm not comfortable engaging. I'm hoping he'll divide those stacks into smaller elements that I can successfully engagage. But I am definitely outside of my comfort zone with this approach. It will be fun to see how it plays out though.

Well, I have some thoughts on this, but I'm not sure what's appropriate given that I am reading both sides of the AAR. But even then, what I'm thinking isn't tied at all to anything I've read from your opponent.

Maybe I'll just hold my thoughts until the end . . .

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 356
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 1:11:07 AM   
    AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grifman

quote:

Well, I have some thoughts on this, but I'm not sure what's appropriate given that I am reading both sides of the AAR. But even then, what I'm thinking isn't tied at all to anything I've read from your opponent.

Maybe I'll just hold my thoughts until the end . . .

I've bitten my tongue bloody....

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Grifman)
    Post #: 357
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 1:39:45 AM   
    jchastain

lol.  So many votes of confidence.  Does this mean I shouldn't count on your votes in '64?   

I actually do look forward to the dissection that is sure to follow.  Believe it or not, I won't be surprised to find that I made a few mistakes along the way.

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
    Post #: 358
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 1:49:30 AM   
    AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

lol. So many votes of confidence. Does this mean I shouldn't count on your votes in '64?

I actually do look forward to the dissection that is sure to follow. Believe it or not, I won't be surprised to find that I made a few mistakes along the way.

My tongue is bloody because of your actions sir.... My sentiments lie on the other side of this disagreement.

Your Servant,
    AU

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 359
    RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 2:11:19 AM   
    Grifman

quote:

lol. So many votes of confidence. Does this mean I shouldn't count on your votes in '64?

I actually do look forward to the dissection that is sure to follow. Believe it or not, I won't be surprised to find that I made a few mistakes along the way.

I suspect all our theoretical strategies might not be as good as we think they are once they face the light of reality But I do have some definitive opinions on the conduct of the war - on both sides

(in reply to jchastain)
    Post #: 360
    Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Early September 1862 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI