Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/13/2006 9:04:02 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz

I Agree with Grimbold. IMO This should be a complete new release, with all new content, etc. Still, I'm interested to see the outcome and hope its great.

I doubt anyone, myself included, would disagree.

But if that were the case we would all have to wait much much longer.

This way we can begin to benefit (Well Matrix too!) right away.

It might also shed some light on which game model (CC2, CC3, CC4/5) might be the most popular one to evolve into an eventually complete new release.

Not to mention providing Matrix with the funding and ammunition to move forward (Not likely if not enough people buy the re-releases).

Only my opinion, nothing more...

I am very much looking forward to it.

(in reply to Guz)
Post #: 31
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/14/2006 6:36:45 AM   
Guz

I guess the gamble is in what will sell... a new version with all new content or an improved old version? I think it will come down to WHAT Matrix can add to this series since they are basically just re-releasing CC3.
With all the great mods out there already, what can they bring to the table? Hey, why not make a reality show out of this? :

The Guz

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 32
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/14/2006 7:27:20 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz.......what can they bring to the table?

To run smoothly on Win XP

To run at a comfortable speed on today’s computers some 7 generations faster than those of 1999.

To improve vehicle pathing.

To improve the way infantry react in all situations.

(in reply to Guz)
Post #: 33
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/14/2006 12:15:13 PM   
Kung Karl

If the improved the AI it is well worth the effort!

The AI has allways been the main problem. Fix the AI and you have one of the best wargames ever in CC3.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 34
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/17/2006 3:28:39 PM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz.......what can they bring to the table?

To run at a comfortable speed on today’s computers some 7 generations faster than those of 1999.

To improve the way infantry react in all situations.

1. But they have already said several times that there won't be extensive changes to the AI/and or vehicle pathing...

2. CC4 and CC5 run smoothly NOW on XP. I don't even need compatibility mode.

3. The changes they do make couldn't possibly address the bigger issues, most of them involving Direct X. The released COI game could be easily made obsolete or not workable, with a single NEW release of Direct X by Microsoft.

4. They are not going to re-code this thing from the ground-up. They are just going to put a few band-aids on it, and hopefully, that will get you another few years of CC3 action.

5. To get an idea of how much will probalby be put into this, just check out some of the other re-releases of classic games, here at Matrix.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 35
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/17/2006 5:03:50 PM   
LitFuel

1. They have said there will be changes though to both...that will be noticable..if your a fan of the series it's good news.

2. Were not talking about CCIV or V right now..this is about III. Hopefully CCII will be next as they are the two that need it the most...I would buy them all though just for new content(maps(which they are adding quite a few), units, a built in system for mods, tweaks here and there)

3. Can't that be said about most games?...that's why there are patches.

4. why recode these releases ?...they were great titles then they are great now..they have survived years longer then supposed other great games. They deserve a new coat of paint. CC6 if it happens will be more then that but first things first.

5. I think they have done pretty good with most of the re-releases so far. I don't know about you but most of the "new" games released these days are lacking...I'm thankful for seeing the classics again, it seems newer games are dumbed down to much(See SM's Railroads!)...worth it to me for new content.

< Message edited by LitFuel -- 11/17/2006 5:07:38 PM >

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 36
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/17/2006 5:54:42 PM   
Stwa

1. CC AI only works for older, slower minded people, like myself. Anyone under the age of 40 will not be amused. No amount of re-work can make the AI a credible opponent. CC3 was primarily invisioned for H2H play.

2. We are only talking about CC3 because someone in this equation is imagining PROFIT. I am sure it has occureed to Heath that offering a digital download of CC3 in its current form, might be equally as viable. As for maps, the notion of Sulla developing and then SELLING them, is humorous at best.

3. So why not just patch CC3, and start work on CC6 immediately.

4. Don't you mean, "why bother with these releases". After all, a simple patch is all they need. There were great then, and now, so just patch em and move on.

5. Depends on the title. But for CC6, I doubt you will see the distributers promoting modding that would involve hacking the games exe file. After all, CC5 may be one of the worlds most hacked games. We have come full circle where the modders/hackers are now the developers. What a planet?  

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 37
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/18/2006 2:56:58 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stwa

1. CC AI only works for older, slower minded people, like myself. Anyone under the age of 40 will not be amused. No amount of re-work can make the AI a credible opponent. CC3 was primarily invisioned for H2H play.

2. We are only talking about CC3 because someone in this equation is imagining PROFIT. I am sure it has occureed to Heath that offering a digital download of CC3 in its current form, might be equally as viable. As for maps, the notion of Sulla developing and then SELLING them, is humorous at best.

3. So why not just patch CC3, and start work on CC6 immediately.

4. Don't you mean, "why bother with these releases". After all, a simple patch is all they need. There were great then, and now, so just patch em and move on.

5. Depends on the title. But for CC6, I doubt you will see the distributers promoting modding that would involve hacking the games exe file. After all, CC5 may be one of the worlds most hacked games. We have come full circle where the modders/hackers are now the developers. What a planet?  

If your already a CC fan I can't see that any decision Matrix makes can be a bad one. If its wildly different and improved great. If its barely more than the old 5.25" floppy with a Matrix sticker slapper over it then great. At least they are reviving it and giving it life. A true avenue for support, method of growing the player base, and further advancement of the series.

How much it ultimately gets enhanced or improved and/or how many REAL full sequels get released will likely all be based on how well it all sells.

Vote with your $$$ to keep the series alive and you will get what you want. If not now then certainly later on.

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 38
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/18/2006 6:17:44 AM   
LitFuel

stwa,
I sense a grudge or whatever from some of your replies so I'm not going to bother following up to much as nothing I say will change that nor do I care. I love the series and other then X-Com have spent more time on this series then anything else. I think this is a good thing, and glad to see it kept alive and promoted in whatever form or motivation.

< Message edited by LitFuel -- 11/18/2006 6:22:24 AM >

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 39
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/18/2006 7:44:21 AM   
Guz

Well, STWA does make some good points. It really does boil down to $$$ doesn't it? All I really want is more content, dont care what edition its added to. Since I'm over 40 (bite me swta) I guess the AI doesn't bother me.  Still, I'd like to see it improved for you younger folks......eh?...I love every game in the series so I'm sure I'll be getting #6 though, to be honest CC3 was my least enjoyed version. Figures.

The Guz

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 40
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/18/2006 6:48:11 PM   
dhdbob

quote:

to be honest CC3 was my least enjoyed version. Figures.

I agree with Guz a little. CC3 was good but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I couldn't identify with the Russians...who really knows. I did like some of the features of CC3 though. My fav's were CC2, and 5.

I am am a little reluctant to fork out another $40 bucks for a re-release of a game. I would hope to see a complete rework (e.g. improved graphics, wicked smart AI, same engine or very similar, a combination of best features of CC5 and CC3, windows xp {and soon vista} compatibility.

A "big band-aid" approach may make me think twice about buying if the price is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am all all for a revival!! But I hope CSO simtek will do the series right by taking it to the next level.

< Message edited by dhdbob -- 11/18/2006 6:53:26 PM >

(in reply to Guz)
Post #: 41
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/19/2006 3:12:17 AM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

To improve the way infantry react in all situations
Yes, yes, yes, and yes... sort of... I think...

Much of the surmising is on the right track, but it doesn't need a genius to assess the logistics etc and realize that this is and cannot be a new release with a bagful of new goodies.  It was never my intention anyway, as I have said before, the re-release of a Classic Game which has been out of production for years (a decade in the case of CCI) is justification enough in itself for me.  However the hardware issues DID need addressing as it is not common to be able to run CC on modern rigs without some tweaking, and there are other built in defects (Scenario Editor in CC3 crashing if you don't go to Play a Game first etc...).

Infantry reactions?  You will notice some differences.  They may not be 'spectacular' and I may be wrong, but I think you will find some interesting and possibly even some challanging behaviour happening.

For example, Units are far more sensitive to Command influence than in the original game.  As this has a big impact on the psych/behaviour model, watch out for some different results than you may have been used to expecting.  The 'crawl of death' should be minimal if not eliminated.  Teams will not always carry through an order in the same way as they did before, especially when they come under fire.

AI is not linear, and when you mess about with it, there are consequences that may be unforseen.  Hopefully, these will translate into more compelling game play.  If I was to give just one piece of advice on how to play CoI, it would be to be more cohesive.  The AI is still not going to be a big challange as an 'intelligent' apponent, especially to good players, but by adjusting the difficulty level, I can get a more difficult game without having to go the 'overwhelming odds' route to difficulty, which does get tedious in the end...

(in reply to dhdbob)
Post #: 42
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/19/2006 6:16:24 AM   
vonOle

This looks very good - cc3 was the best cc-game for me, (actually the best pc-game ever !), I played it for years, but it died with XP . I tried several things, but in the end I had to say goodbye. Cc4 and cc5 never got the same hold on me, maybe because they didn't have the same feature with the freedom to choose units in the Forcepool, and the maps in cc5 was too large to be fun.
Thanks for this "remake"  - I'll promise to buy at least 2 boxes of the game !

A few q's
1) Will we still have to find opponents through "Gamespy" - or do we get new servers ?
2) If possible, can you make "CoI" more compatible with the most commen firewalls ?

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 43
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/19/2006 6:24:55 PM   
Beeblebrox

BattleHQ (PowerLobbies) is the Matrix service, and will be bundled/installed with CoI.  CoI is DirectPlay enabled (just like the original) so you can launch a Multiplayer Game from the Lobby/Room.  AFAIK, it works with Gamespy, and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work with any preferred Lobby/Chat system.  I am sure someone will let us know if it doesn't work

How do you make an application 'compatible' with Firewalls?  The Firewall doesn't care what application is trying to communicate, it just checks against it's security policies to see if any behaviour is allowed or not.  They usually come with a set of default policies to allow the system to work, and provides you with the ability to add your own.  In this case you would have to tell the Firewall to allow specified Port Traffic and application settings if needed.  The Ports are TCP:47264 TCP:6073 TCP 2300~2400 UDP 2300~2400. Then there are any issues of Routers/NAT if using one, and your Internet Account (ISP) service needs to support the behaviour too.  Not sure how we could make CoI 'compatible' with that lot...!  I guess more could be done, but I don't know myself what.  Perhaps someone with more tech savvy than I can illuminate?

(in reply to vonOle)
Post #: 44
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/19/2006 6:28:30 PM   
LitFuel

I read on CSO that you took the dog barking out, I think you should have left it in...I hope you didn't take out all the background noise as silence would be rather boring and dumb. It was cool to have that atmosphere in the game then have all hell breaking loose.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 45
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 12:49:28 AM   
Beeblebrox

I think someone did finally shoot the dog, but we will have to wait and see what is and is not still there...

To me this is a lose-lose scenario.  If we keep the dawg in, it pleases you but  hacks off others. and vice versa.  Ho hum...

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 46
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 5:09:58 AM   
LitFuel

Well they better have some background sound effects or it will pretty sterile...as for the dog thing..I know it's a small thing but that's one of my fears when you guys got a hold of ther CC's is that you feel you can start messing with things that don't need messing with. Just worry about the real problems that need fixing.

I think if certain sound files are taken out they should be offered either here or on CSO for people to put back in if you want.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 47
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 7:37:52 AM   
Guz

Good to know you're an animal lover.

The Guz

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 48
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 1:00:42 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

I think someone did finally shoot the dog, but we will have to wait and see what is and is not still there...

To me this is a lose-lose scenario. If we keep the dawg in, it pleases you but hacks off others. and vice versa. Ho hum...

If people complain about a barking dog in the ambient sound then the game has to be really really good

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 49
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 4:40:57 PM   
LitFuel

Well, I don't know about a dog lover though...I was actually thinking it might be cool if the dog barked for a while then once the shooting started you added a yelping sound then silence. I mean if you really wanted to get rid of the dog you could have at least been creative about it .

Still any sounds you take out I want the option to put back in...is that a difficult thing to do?

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 50
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/20/2006 5:39:23 PM   
old man of the sea

I'm sure you can always put the original sounds back in off your old installs.

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 51
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/21/2006 7:39:20 AM   
Stwa

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

..I know it's a small thing but that's one of my fears when you guys got a hold of ther CC's is that you feel you can start messing with things that don't need messing with. Just worry about the real problems that need fixing.

Just patch CC3. Put the patch on the CSO site so people can download it. Make a CC6 (the myth game) and sell that.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 52
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/21/2006 12:57:33 PM   
Udi

[/quote]

Just patch CC3. Put the patch on the CSO site so people can download it. Make a CC6 (the myth game) and sell that.

[/quote]

Same. It seems to me that it is just a patch and though major one. Why should I pay again for the same game?

(in reply to Stwa)
Post #: 53
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/21/2006 1:50:16 PM   
vonOle

Same. It seems to me that it is just a patch and though major one. Why should I pay again for the same game?

- Well, the answer is quite simple: Simply to relive an old, but never forgotten love - which died with the birth of "XP"

Is there any news about the releasedate ?

< Message edited by vonOle -- 11/21/2006 6:45:48 PM >

(in reply to Udi)
Post #: 54
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/24/2006 5:59:05 AM   
Guz

I've seen quite a few references to not being able to play the games with XP. Why can I?

The Guz

(in reply to vonOle)
Post #: 55
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/24/2006 10:53:44 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guz

I've seen quite a few references to not being able to play the games with XP. Why can I?

Because sometimes it works and often not.

(in reply to Guz)
Post #: 56
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/24/2006 2:02:49 PM   
templeton

Any 'official' revival of the series is good... I thought it died after CCV, becoming something only available to the military.

Although I prefer the later series, I'm going to retain an open mind... after all, this is the only game that has outlasted sucessive computer updates, and I'm still playing it H2H all these years after CCI first hit us in the early 90's.

I think the concept is a classic, and I hope this is the begining of the revival... that said, the modding community have done wonders to keep this game alive, and I'm currently playing the 'Bloody Omaha' and 'Gold Sword Juno' mod in two H2H campaigns.

Despite the advances in technology, I can name no other company level game that is this 'realistic' - that is not to exclude HTTR, or COTA because these are at a higher level, but retain the concept.

Anyway, I'm a big fan... and any close combat is better than no close combat.

(in reply to Guz)
Post #: 57
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/24/2006 6:11:58 PM   
LitFuel

I agree any CC is a good thing. I have problems with CCII & III on my system and though there may be fixes I won't mess with those as I'm famous for trying to change things on my computer and winding up screwing something else up. I would like to see CCII updated next then if sales go well jump to CC6..CCIV & V work fine on my system and unless they offered a ton of new content I can't see re-buying those....of course I say that now but considering my fondness for the series who knows when push comes to shove.

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 58
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/27/2006 11:29:05 PM   
Frank McNally

some folks have asked why matrix does not post a patch and move on to cc6.  Why would they patch a product they did not release for free?  The product worked fine for 5 years (and still does if you make you computer act like one 5 years old) and so no one can reasonably expect a patch as anything but an undeserved gift or a purchase.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 59
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 12/1/2006 5:43:19 PM   
Infidel

This is great news.  The only CC game I've played has been CC2, which I really enjoyed.  I will probably buy the first one released (COI) as well as the CC2 re-release when it becomes available.

I played EYSA and liked that one too, but CC2 is still my favorite game in this genre.  Company of Heroes is fun and challenging, but it's certainly not the same game as CC.  Tanks with "hit points" seems a bit hokey to me.

(in reply to Frank McNally)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI