Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI improvement project

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> AI improvement project Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI improvement project - 1/24/2007 3:02:42 PM   
HussarGames

We are launching an AI improvement project and wee need YOUR help. This applies to both the strategic and tactical levels.

Our nickname for the AI is Alfred after Alfred Windischgratz who was the Austrian commander-in-chief in the 1848 Hungarian independence war.

If you experience strange/stupid behavior by Alfred, please send us the last save BEFORE the AI does it to this email: info1848@yahoo.com
Please include in the subject: AI improvement project. Also give a short description about the problem, eg: Washington army moves in the wrong direction.

The top 3 contributors will receive a 'Pro Libertate' T-shirt. It is a dark red shirt with the Rakoczi coat of arms on the back and our logo on the front. If we get significant help from a lot of people, then we reserve the right to give away even more T-shirts.

All AI improvements will be applied to For Liberty! and to our next game as well.

Post #: 1
RE: AI improvement project - 1/25/2007 3:17:13 AM   
cj1313

The only thing I notice, and I play alot of tactical battles is the AI can be over cautious. He'll sen in to few troops to "test" my line sometimes allowing them to be shredded. I like the idea that he wont use all his reserves to plug holes but I think the AI is to cautious in tactical battles...

Amazing AI though. So much better then even IMO Total War II...

(in reply to HussarGames)
Post #: 2
RE: AI improvement project - 1/25/2007 10:42:50 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

IMO in tactical battles the AI problem is that the human player has too much flexibility to move units around, so he can always beat it, some limitations, like moving through leaders so limiting the number of actual units the human player can move, or any others you can imagine and that feel historically right could be of great help to Alfred

(in reply to cj1313)
Post #: 3
RE: AI improvement project - 1/25/2007 10:50:55 AM   
Jakerson

I think Alfred is better in offence not a great but better than in defense where sometimes it is very passive even when I'm massing all my troops to other flank of him he still keep standing in line formation.

I don’t mind too much as I think all wargames are best when played against human player. AI is bit of learning the basic opponent to me.

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 4
RE: AI improvement project - 1/25/2007 3:33:39 PM   
James Ward

I have noticed some odd things in the AI builds.
As the Americans the AI seems to build a huge amount of Militia units. I am currently playing as the British and am just finishing the first winter. The Americans have a large number of militia armies. There are ~9,000 militia troops near Portsmith, ~35,000 outside of New York, ~8,000 occupying two Indian camps in the Mohawk Valley and ~6,000 next to Savannah. I also assume that there are many other small detachments of Milita around as each time I send a raiding party next to a town there is a Milita unit there.
I have tangled with his regulars in a few battles battles and it doesn't appear that the AI replaces any losses in his units. Many of his regular units are at 1/2 strength.
Given the cautios nature of the AI in tactical combat building tons of units doesn't seem to work in it's favor as it doesn't take advantage of the extra shots.
I don't know if this will have a big effect on the AI's financial situation later but having 100's of units this early would seem to be a big drain on the treasury.
Perhaps some tweaking of the AI builds could be made.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 5
RE: AI improvement project - 1/26/2007 3:30:06 PM   
HussarGames

Militia does not get any pay.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 6
RE: AI improvement project - 1/26/2007 3:43:10 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

Militia does not get any pay.

Are you sure?

If you click on the unit picture in the battle screen it says they cost 100.

< Message edited by James Ward -- 1/26/2007 3:57:18 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: AI improvement project - 1/27/2007 3:19:19 AM   
cj1313

I agree they get 100 in pay. i also notcie the BRITS do not replenish unit strength. I have had battles with the BRITS feilding 40 units or so with the majority between 75 and 220 men... Seems like a tweak needed... Great game though....

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 8
RE: AI improvement project - 1/28/2007 12:39:48 AM   
cj1313

Iv'e noticed something that is troubling me. I'm in 8-1779 and I cant get the BRITS to meet me in battle on a tactical battle. Even if our #'s going into battle a close he'll just cut and run and I'm tired of chasing him around the map. I know WASH did this regualry in real life and frustrated the BRITS but its becoming appaerent if you are superior you can forget about a tactical battle even if he's pinned. Surrender comes rarely and I think somehow they should have to stand and fight for at least a few turn before full flight off map. Maybe I'll crank up the dIFF to highest and give it a go. i enjoyed all the battles I faught and I'm now struck with only auto battels if I dont try to even the odds completly. Somewhat frustrating....

(in reply to cj1313)
Post #: 9
RE: AI improvement project - 1/28/2007 8:35:24 AM   
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

Hussar:

I would suggest revising the criteria that Alfred uses to determine whether to attack, when battles are to be fought out manually. I asume that Alfred uses the expected result of an autobattle as his criteria, but in many this is not a good indication of the results of a tactical battle and it can lead him into making poor decisions. I know that the AI into periodically makes attacks that are almost suicidally ill advised when resolved tactically (though not when they are resolved automatically), and I assume that it also refrains from making good attacks on occasion for the same reason. I think that if Alfred's judgement of when to attack (and when not to attack) can be improved, then his play would improve markedly.

It also seems to me that Alfred does not make good judgements about when to retire to a friendly town to recover readiness and build up supplies. This seems especially pronounced in his reluctance to stop campaigning and enter winter quarters. I have seen him wear armies down to nothing in this way. Coupled with this is his proclivity for plundering captured towns. This is a good tactic to get a quick burst of supplies, but you also have to keep some towns intact in order to draw supplies on subsequent turns and to have someplace to which you can retreat if necessary. Teaching Alfred to do this type of longer range planning would also improve his play.

Thank you for considering these suggestions. If you want examples of these behaviors, I will e-mail saves to you.

< Message edited by jeffreys -- 2/6/2007 7:07:16 PM >

All My Best,

Jeff Sutro

(in reply to cj1313)
Post #: 10
RE: AI improvement project - 1/29/2007 4:08:30 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: cj1313

I have had battles with the BRITS feilding 40 units or so with the majority between 75 and 220 men... Seems like a tweak needed... Great game though....

Some tweaking is probably in order. I am the british and am facing a militia HORDE north of Boston. There are 3 American militia armies with ~11,000 total strength in ~45 units! When the armies attack me the whole map seems to be covered with units of 200-300 men. I ALWAYS run out of shots! If the AI ever actually used all the units I would have been chased out of Boston months ago but it sends them in waves of 10-15 units an dso far I have been able to handle them.
I think if the AI is going to field large numbers of uints it should employ them in battle in most cases as the advantage of a large number of units it the extra total shots. Otherwise the AI should combine small units to have a smaller number of larger units.

(in reply to cj1313)
Post #: 11
RE: AI improvement project - 2/8/2007 3:31:28 PM   
James Ward

One problem I have noticed with the AI in tactical battles concerns Cavalry. The AI has no clue what to do with it.
I have had the AI attack with a single Cavalry uint. The AI will leave the unit mounted, let me walk right up next to it and fire until either the unit routs or I run out of shots.
If the AI is going to use Cavalry in battle, it should use it for more than a target.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 12
RE: AI improvement project - 2/16/2007 4:41:54 PM   
HussarGames

I have launched this "project" in the hope of getting some saved games.

Some problems are very hard to reproduce without a saved game. With proper save files, problems can be investigated efficiently by us. Send us saves please.
Thank you.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 13
RE: AI improvement project - 2/16/2007 4:59:42 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: HussarGames

I have launched this "project" in the hope of getting some saved games.

Some problems are very hard to reproduce without a saved game. With proper save files, problems can be investigated efficiently by us. Send us saves please.
Thank you.

I'm pretty sure I can get a Cavalry battle saved.
Were would I send it?

Post #: 14
RE: AI improvement project - 2/20/2007 3:57:00 AM   
Jaypea

I am finding the AI very challenging. Probably one of the best AI's I have seen. Major problem I see is Alfred holding a line on defense while I am hitting one of his flanks. He should be moving out of line to help fend off the attack rather then just sitting there. I will try to send a save when I get a chance.

Thanks
Jaypea

< Message edited by Jaypea -- 2/20/2007 4:50:12 PM >

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> AI improvement project Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI