Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is your favorite WWII tank?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 12:22:08 AM   
hueglin

quote:

Well, according to "Tanks of World War 2" by Chris Ellis, 1981:
"In 1947 an improved model was developed, which was designated T-34/85-II. It had improved transmission, armor, vision devices and fire control equipment. This type was used by North Korean and Chinese forces in the Korean War of 1950-3."

So evidently the Soviets did in fact improve the transmission.

I stand corrected on the transmission issue. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if the T34/85 and the 76mm Sherman faced each other with opponents who had equal training, morale, supplies etc. Of course that never happens in real life so when we talk about which tank is better, the issue is always clouded by all the other factors that add to the effectiveness of any combat system.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 421
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 12:53:40 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

quote:

Yes, since it is all an academic exercise anyway. However, as I mentioned earlier, three Oliver McCalls may take Ali, but who was the better fighter?

Yup, academic - and you have a different set of assumptions as your boxing analogy shows. Oliver McCall was a heavyweight was he not? Mine would be Sugar Ray Robonson was a better fighter than Ali, despite the fact Ali would have had the advantage in a direct confrontation. Two Sugar Rays could easily have a taken Ali. And it would be little comfort to Ali that he could beat one Sugar Ray if he were set upon by 4.

QED.

No. The Sherman wasn't a better fighter than the Panther, so it becomes an Ali versus three average middleweights. However, they are all boxers, are they not? What is the middleweight doing getting into the ring if he is only a middleweight? Ultimately, he's out of his depth is he not? He may win if he can deploy four middleweights, and lose three whilst the fourth sneaks round the back and clobbers Ali in the kidneys but it doesn't make him either a better fighter or a better boxer, it just means he wins by clever use of numbers.

If the sherman was only a "medium" why was it mixing it with the heavier German designs? Ultimately, it was mixing it because "medium" or not, it was first and foremost a Tank and the Germans didn't make allowance when fighting vehicles that were lighter than them. The Sherman, when deployed in armoured formations using fire and maneuver, and likely to face enemy armour, was a Main Battle Tank. It was outclassed in that role by around a third of the Germans it faced, and had its handfull with the other two thirds.

The BAR was a squad light support weapon. As was the bipod MG42. Regardless of their design histories etc, in the squad support role, one had advantages. You can't explain away deficiencies by saying something was a medium. The Sherman was an MBT not a medium tank.

As an example. The later Churchill had much thicker frontal armour than the Tiger, very much thicker than the Panther and weighed around the same as the Panther if memory serves. Could it duel with the Tiger or the Panther? No, because it's 75mm weapon was designed to support infantry and its armour would't generally protect it against the 75 and 88. Therefore, despite being a British "heavy", the same size as the German "Medium", it was not much good as an MBT. Under your argument, we should be comparing these vehicles because both were "mediums" of similiar weight.

In reality, what mattered was its role, not its size. It was an infantry support weapon and as such not designed to duel, and therefore it is excusable for it to not compare, although if the British had filled out the Guards Armoured with them and sent them into Goodwood, we would have had reason to compare them because the Churchill was being asked to perform as an MBT not infantry support.

For a further example, the Sherman when used in recce regiments was better in one respect than the M5 because it was better able to drive off light German resistance that it came across. The M5 was less survivable and aggressive recce of this sort was beyond it. However, its "medium" status is irrelevant, what we are weighing are the attributes and how they fit the given recce role. The M5 had other qualities and weighing up the better recce tank would have to take those into combat.

When weighing up the better Main battle tank, speed, manoeuvrability, armour and armament are all relevant and in this regard the Sherman was adequate until late 43, increasingly obselete after that. However, whilst a variety of factors go into explaining why this was the case (eg One of its issues is that battlefield experience comfirming that was rather later in coming.) none of those mitigating factors alter the fact it was obselete. They merely help explain why.

Regards,
IronDuke

Yes, well, I think any one of us will agree with you that as a purpose built tank killer - the Tiger I and Panther were better suited to that task than the average 75mm gunned M4 Sherman in the ETO, in mid summer 1944... I don't think that is a stretch to agree on.

However, even though the Panther and Tiger were better suited to that task - than a 75mm M3 gunned Sherman, I would not agree that they were superior to any Sherman to the point where it makes the Sherman a poor tank for it's time and place.

As a battle tank, ANY Sherman was capable of killing ANY Panther or Tiger I on ANY battlefield - though this ment maneuvering to the target's flank by 30 degrees or more in the case of the Panther, and also closing to within 100 meters or so in the case of the Tiger I. THIS is where the "5 Shermens lost to make one kill" ratio happened "ON OCCASION" in France's hedgerow country.

The 17 pdr armed British Sherman M4A4 was quite capable of dealing with Panther and Tiger on any terms. The 76mm armed US M4A1 and M4A3 were also quite capable of doing the same - but woud generally have to either hit the turret on Panther, or maneuver to 30 degrees oblique to punch the soft side on Panther.

But this all beleageurs the broader point. Shermans had their own better points than Tiger or Panther -
1) Greater Main Armament ammunition load.
2) Heavier machine gun firepower.
3) VASTLY greater automotive reliability, and reliable tactical/strategic range.
4) VASTLY greater numbers - so much so that Tiger and Panther were unable to win a single campaign against Sherman. One cannot dismiss mere numbers - that was a key choice in production of Sherman.
5) Greater Rate Of Fire (20 rds pr minute).
6) Panther and Tiger I were NOT invulnerable to ANY Sherman - very much UNLIKE ALL Axis ARMOR was vs Matilda II in 1940-41. Panzer III and IV could not knock out a Matilda II merely by getting 30 degrees off to the flank of a Matilda in 1941 (does this mean that PzKw III & IV were obsolete in 1941?).
7) The ONE major engagement that German heavy armor prevailed over Sherman was Goodwood. However, a careful reading of the battle clearly demonstrates that ANY armor the British may have used in that battle would have been doomed to loose under the terrible circumstances that were accepted for Goodwood. Had the Germans attempted the same battle - there would have been the same result for them - such were the the handicaps Montgommery accepted in it's undertaking. (Mortain anyone? All the Panzer Divisions in Normandy could not knock One Infantry Battalion off One Hill in France? Impotent Armor? Poor tanks?)
8) Where did Tigers actually win a victory over the American arms? Gela? Salerno? Anzio?....the answer of course is NONE OF THE ABOVE, although when the Shermans arrived in those locations they were there to stay. This does not mean that Shermans were better tanks, but it does illustrate that Tigers had not enough edge of superiority to be meaningful in any large way.

So, I would sum up by saying that - although undeniably - Panther and Tiger held certain advantages of some Sherman marks, neither German Heavy Tank held a meaningful advantage over Sherman as a weapons system of choice.... let alone meant that the Sherman was a poor tank.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/4/2007 2:43:01 AM >

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 422
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 1:02:48 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin

quote:

Well, according to "Tanks of World War 2" by Chris Ellis, 1981:
"In 1947 an improved model was developed, which was designated T-34/85-II. It had improved transmission, armor, vision devices and fire control equipment. This type was used by North Korean and Chinese forces in the Korean War of 1950-3."

So evidently the Soviets did in fact improve the transmission.

I stand corrected on the transmission issue. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if the T34/85 and the 76mm Sherman faced each other with opponents who had equal training, morale, supplies etc. Of course that never happens in real life so when we talk about which tank is better, the issue is always clouded by all the other factors that add to the effectiveness of any combat system.

Well, one thing is self evident about such a hypothetical encounter, an M4A3E8 with an American crew would certainly be able to kill a T-34/85-II with a Soviet crew - if they hit one in an engagement - as happened in Korea.
How much better the Soviets might have been able to do than the Chinese and Koreans is, of course, a matter of conjecture. But from what I have read - either tank would have had an equal chance of knocking out it's opposite number.... kind of like a 75mm gunned M4 and a PzKw IV.

B

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 423
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 2:10:11 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

Alleging? Do you have doubts about the ORS studies?

Therte is some wiggle room, but overall, I find most of the statistical material provided therein sound.

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

Post #: 424
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 2:13:49 AM   
Twotribes

Iron Duke REFUSES to answer the simple question asked more than once...

Since the Sherman was MORE than adequate in 1942 and 1943, was in mass production and was easily shipped because of size, since no Armor General WANTED a replacement, preferring the Sherman now instead of another tank later, how was it a poor choice or bad decision to continue to produce and field it in quantity? He has on previous posts alluded to the continued use as nothing more than the High Command not caring about the men. Again until summer 1944 the Americans had no reason to doubt the ability of the Sherman to do what they wanted it to do. The Americans were NOT very interested in a Heavy tank. Why would they have changed what worked NOW for something the high command didnt think was needed?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 425
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 2:29:51 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Yes, well, I think any one of us will agree with you that as a purpose built tank killer - the Tiger I and Panther were better suited to that task than the average 75mm gunned M4 Sherman in the ETO, in mid summer 1944... I don't think that is a stretch to agree on.

Under this criteria, given 76 mm weapons were not that good, the ammo dubious and the better rounds only available in very limited quantities late in 44, I'd argue they were better than any sherman.

quote:

However, even though the Panther and Tiger were better suited to that task - than a 75mm M3 gunned Sherman, I would not agree that they were superior to any Sherman to the point where it makes the Sherman a poor tank for it's time and place.

I disagree. The Sherman was being asked to attack forces with significant numbers of these weapons.

quote:

As a battle tank, ANY Sherman was capable of killing any Panther or Tiger I on any battlefield - though this ment maneuvering to the target's flank by 30 degrees or more in the case of the Panther, and also closing to within 100 meters or so in the case of the Tiger I. THIS is where the "5 Shermens lost to make one kill" ratio happened "ON OCCASION" in France's hedgerow country.

Yes, but you make this sound like fun. Since a Tiger could open a Sherman up from around 2000 metres, how long would the Sherman have been in Tiger range before it covered the 1900 metres it needed to do this (assuming the terrain it was covering was easy to traverse and not a hindrance. How many shots could a Tiger get off in that time?

quote:

The 17 pdr armed British Sherman M4A4 was quite capable of dealing with Panther and Tiger on any terms.

Not quite, the ammo was a little wayward after 1000 metres, although still potent if it landed.

quote:

The 76mm armed US M4A1 and M4A3 were also quite capable of doing the same - but woud generally have to either hit the turret on Panther, or maneuver to 30 degrees oblique to punch the soft side on Panther.

And what did the Panther have to do to handle the Sherman?

quote:

But this all beleageurs the broader point. Shermans had their own better points than Tiger or Panther -

Not relevant if you can't kill anything with it.

quote:

It had a .50 cal extra. Nice to have but the Commander has to show himself to use it, that's not so nice, and either way, it doesn't help in a Tank fight.

quote:

3) VASTLY greater automotive reliability, and reliable tactical/strategic range.

Conceded, although the German POL and air situation meant Americans could have fielded Rickshaws and had better mobility than the Germans had.

quote:

4) VASTLY greater numbers - so much so that Tiger and Panther were unable to win a single campaign against Sherman. One cannot dismiss mere numbers - that was a key choice in production of Sherman.

So, you're saying that Americans won by attrition?

5) Greater Rate Of Fier (20 rds pr minute).

quote:

6) Panther and Tiger I were NOT invulnerable to ANY Sherman - very much UNLIKE ALL Axis ARMOR was vs Matilda II in 1940-41. Panzer III and IV could not knock out a Matilda II merely by getting 30 degrees off to the flank of a Matilda in 1941 (does this mean that PzKw III & IV were obsolete in 1941?).

The IV wasn't since it got a long 75, the III was obselete by early 44, perhaps even mid 43.

quote:

7) The ONE major engagement that German heavy armor prevailed over Sherman was Goodwood. However, a careful reading of the battle clearly demonstrates that ANY armor the British may have used in that battle would have been doomed to loose under the terrible circumstances that were accepted for Goodwood. Had the Germans attempted the same battle - there would have been the same result for them - such were the the handicaps Montgommery accepted in it's undertaking. (Mortain anyone? All the Panzer Divisions in Normandy could not knock One Infantry Battalion off One Hill in France? Impotent Armor? Poor tanks?)

Air power.

quote:

So, I would sum up by saying that - although undeniably - Panther and Tiger held certain advantages of some Sherman marks, neither German Heavy Tank held a meaningful advantage over Sherman as a weapons system of choice.... let alone meant that the Sherman was a poor tank.

B

But the factors you gave were largely irrelevant in a Tank duel save ROF (although this is qualified by the fact the rounds have little effect) and reliability, although this is more an operational trait than a tactical one. the Sherman wasn't a poor tank, it served well in many theatres, but it was becoming obselete by 1944 and was outclassed by the Panther and Tiger (around one third the German Panzer Arm) and just competitive against the other two thirds.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 426
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 2:34:40 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

quote:

Alleging? Do you have doubts about the ORS studies?

Therte is some wiggle room, but overall, I find most of the statistical material provided therein sound.

Agreed. I think the data has a little room for manoeuver but not enough to invalidate the main conclusions.
Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 427
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 2:37:42 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Since the Sherman was MORE than adequate in 1942 and 1943, was in mass production and was easily shipped because of size, since no Armor General WANTED a replacement, preferring the Sherman now instead of another tank later, how was it a poor choice or bad decision to continue to produce and field it in quantity? He has on previous posts alluded to the continued use as nothing more than the High Command not caring about the men. Again until summer 1944 the Americans had no reason to doubt the ability of the Sherman to do what they wanted it to do. The Americans were NOT very interested in a Heavy tank. Why would they have changed what worked NOW for something the high command didnt think was needed?

This sort of nonsense is exactly how you ended up "leaving" the Steak House. I won't ask you to quote to back this up, as I know you "don't do that". We have no right to ruin a rather nice thread with it here. You're on ignore. If you have a question, get Rune or Veb to ask it for you.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 428
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 3:36:37 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Incorrect. IIRC, my argument earlier was that Americans hereabouts weren't listening to the troops because Americans hereabouts persisted with the Sherman was fine argument.

You seem to have lost track of some of your previous arguments in this thread ID...so I think you "IIRC" wrong...

quote:

Re the Sherman and the absence of American uber AFVs, I think it is more complicated than just blaming McNair and the Infantry Branch.

quote:

America could do best and most. With the Sherman, she merely did most. With the M-26, I am sure she didn't manage most in time to make a difference, and I'm not sure she did best either.

quote:

The Mafia in this case was just about everyone. McNair came up with TD doctrine, but he was Marshall's man so the Joint Chiefs would have backed him as well. Infantry branch didn't want uber tanks, and neither did the cavalry.

Not just the acquisition side but the operational side as well.

quote:

Firstly, overall American style simply never suited American armoured doctrine. Broad front offensives which lacked operational concentration were simply not conducive to the breakthrough. When breakthrough finally came in NW Europe, it was tellingly at that point the last German in front of 3rd Army had been shot and bombed into submission. Therefore, Allied armour in general tended to fight in situations its doctrine didn't ask it to. It is no surprise it was found wanting.

Secondly, it didn't have the sustained lesson learning its foes had in the east. When it did try and learn lessons, it generally did it poorly or slowly or both. Evaluation of the Tiger in Tunisia was lamentable and flawed, experience of the Panther limited. What experience it could learn from (primarily British experience in 41-42 in Africa) tended to reinforce doctrinal belief rather than knock it. The M4 and Grant squitted themselves well against the best German designs in theatre indicating there were no real issues facing german Tanks technically, and Rommel made extensive use of AT gun lines to defeat British armoured thrusts reinforcing the opinions gained from Spain that AT guns had the edge where they met armour.

So it seems you did start out criticizing not just those 'hereabouts' but those 'back then' too.

You seem to appreciate the pro-Sherman argument, since you make it.

quote:

the Sherman suited America because it was relatively quick and manoeuvrable which suited American doctrine. It was easy to make which suited American industry. It was relatively light and easy to transport which suited American logistics and strategic planners and it was relatively straightforward to maintain and fight which suited the American Citizen Army. At the sharp end, though, it had some issues.

And when facing an IS-2 so did the Panther, and it was not in as much "harmony with the system" by the above criteria either. Yet it appears beyond criticism simply because it could take a Sherman one on one. Same is true of a T-34, yet it too seems to escape criticsm.

The apparent inconsistency in your arguments is what got me involved in the thread. If you simply meant to argue "A typical Panther will beat a typical Sherman in a 1-1 encounter" I would have had no problem with that statement, becasue it is true. All the rambling inconsistent musing about WHY that situation existed and the perception that it was somehow criminal leading to the Sherman being "crap" that is the issue.

You got the "right answer" but justifying it, it appears in many ways your analysis of the situation that lead to that fact is flawed - or at least too steeped in cnspiracy theorizing and implied culpability.

quote:

Well, if I'm going to use A Tiger or Panther and you are going to use a Sherman, why can't we compare?

Well why can't we make the same sort of argument about the Panther vis-a-vis the IS-2? The same argument for the Sherman being "outclassed" by the Panther makes the Panther outclassed by the IS-2 (the M with 120@60 glacis plate and 122mm gun anyway).

Is your argument situational and the Panther "out of its depth" on the Ostfront?

IT appears by:

quote:

Only if you take as read that tank statistics are the only factor. I don't so the above doesn't follow. Superior tactics and C3 would have had an effect on the Russian front.

that it is not... That is a problem for your argument as it appears to allow for "other factors" where the Panther (or T-34) is outclassed, but hold eh equation constant on the Western...again consistency in analysis is all that is being asked for.

quote:

These figures are partially skewed by the late war though when German armour was in very short supply.

No, that is true only if you are ignoring the part of the casualty equation that relates to rate of engagement and focus ony on the part that relates to exchange rate per engagement. You can change the casualty rate by changing the exchange rate per engagement, or the engagement rate (in this case by atritting the Panthers faster than they could be replaced, and bringing in Shermans faster than they are being lost. Form a "big picture standpoint" if the trend is going down becasue of one relationship, might that not make up for issue trying to adjust the other?

quote:

I don't see how. Logic suggests to me that it is better to get off two shots that might kill something than three shots that won't. The demand for the Firefly and 17 pdr suggests that on the ground (whatever our models 70 years on might suggest)
the Firefly made a difference.

Because it my have lead to a tactic where rather than trying to outflank the Panther and byass it, to instead go toe to toe with it. You assume that "everything will remain the same" afer you make a major perterbation to the differential caluculus. You can't change one variable and effect their to be no operations effect. It may have been for the best, but it may not. We dont know.

quote:

Standard German doctrine and aggression demanded as much. Facing shermans made them cocky at times, but I don't think you can abandon your entire doctrinal base that quickly. Besides, without offensive action, you don't win.

You treat the Western Front in a vacuum again. The East saw that exact thing happen and the Germans adopted the "hedgehog" defense. Why would they not do that in the West? An argument can be made that with a lessor tactical advanage they may have chosen rather than to "shoot their wad" trying to keep the Allies in Normandy, and then disintigrate back to Germany, to use a more Eastern front OPLAN and fight a much more defefensily oriented campaign across the depth of France. Would tht have resultd in fewer casualties?

quote:

They only have so many of these, though. Your argument suggests they had choices. I think ultimately, they had very few. What made their Tanks effective was the tactical and limited operational mobility that allowed them to take a hand on the battlefield from a reserve. Guns and mines don't have this.

Of course they had choices, and they made different choices in the East when on the other side of the coin.

quote:

Ultimately, what have you got against victory with a better exchange rate like GWI or GWII? This is a very narrow argument. Which was the better Tank?

Nothing - but your assumption that if the Americans say deployed 76 armed tanks in stead of 75sand 17lbers insead of 76s and had Pershings supporting, that the Germans would have cnducted an IDENTICAL campaign agaisnt them is naive to say the least. And that the notion that the different sitution would have automatically resulted in fewer casualties is something the East at least raises issues with.

Did German tank casualties go down when the Panther was introduced? Or did other factors change in response?

To follow your GW anaology what if we had produced less Shermans and more P-47s? Or would it have been better to produce les P-47s and get the Pershing fielded sooner? this is one of the reasons GGWaW is so fun - you can explore asymmetric strategies :)

quote:

No. The Sherman wasn't a better fighter than the Panther,

It could not have beaten a Panther, just like Sugar Ray would have needed an analogous "lucky hit" to KO Ali. Yet people still make the "pound for pound" argument he was better. You can claim that is not a good argument, but that is simply your opinion.

quote:

it just means he wins by clever use of numbers.

Scoreboard. I'll take winning by any means over "losing with style"...in ar anyway!

quote:

If the sherman was only a "medium" why was it mixing it with the heavier German designs? Ultimately, it was mixing it because "medium" or not, it was first and foremost a Tank and the Germans didn't make allowance when fighting vehicles that were lighter than them. The Sherman, when deployed in armoured formations using fire and maneuver, and likely to face enemy armour, was a Main Battle Tank.

Why did the T-34 mix it up with the Panther and the Panther with the IS-2? The Sherman was not an MBT an he notion that just becasue it happend to meet what was probably the first of that class that it therefore was one is strained. Were the M-10 and Valentine MBTs becauue they mixed it up" with Panthers? How about a KV-1? The Sherman was an infantry support tank desinged to attack enemy infantry formations and drive through them. Wht made an MBT an MBT was NOT its characteristics, or what it "mixed it up with" but its doctrine for use.

quote:

It was outclassed in that role by around a third of the Germans it faced, and had its handfull with the other two thirds.

I'll agree withthe former...but that ignores its intended and the role it was most used in - infantry support and rapid advance. It can be argued that with a heavier tank the drive across France would have taken longer and the response to the Bulge may not have been as effective. (Fuel for the rather efficient Shermans was problematic as it was - extensive deployment of a "panther equivlent" would have required a LOT more fuel...again adaptive and emergent nature of war makes "single variable analysis" problematic.

quote:

The BAR was a squad light support weapon. As was the bipod MG42. Regardless of their design histories etc, in the squad support role, one had advantages. You can't explain away deficiencies by saying something was a medium. The Sherman was an MBT not a medium tank.

And one had other advantages... Two men with a bopod MG42 can engage one target but two men each with a BAR can engage two. So which is better? If you have one target to suppress the MG2, if you have 2 the BAR. 'Better' is situationally dependant. Like The MG 42, the BAR decendants live on today as the FN MAG. One was an automaic rifle, one was a machine gun. That they were two different ways to provide squad light support in two different ways doesn't mean that certain advanages of the MG automatically trump the the others advatages as an autmatic rifle in all circumstances. That one say has a higer ROF is not relevant when you can't keep its high rate of fire fed with ammo.

quote:

As an example. The later Churchill had much thicker frontal armour than the Tiger, very much thicker than the Panther and weighed around the same as the Panther if memory serves. Could it duel with the Tiger or the Panther? No, because it's 75mm weapon was designed to support infantry and its armour would't generally protect it against the 75 and 88. Therefore, despite being a British "heavy", the same size as the German "Medium", it was not much good as an MBT. Under your argument, we should be comparing these vehicles because both were "mediums" of similiar weight.

So medium infantry support tanks and heavy infantry support tanks are not MBTs. Good eye. You are correct. The late Churchill with upgraded 75mm and heavier armor was able to give a Panther a run for its money but was not used as an MBT and therfore was not one, despite "mixing it up" with one. If you dislike me classing a Panther as "heavy" (despite it being as heavy as other countries heavy tanks) then I will call it the first "MBT" and say that you STILL can't directly compare it to tank destroyers, heavy tanks, light tanks, infantry support tanks or tank busting aircraft and artillery just becasue ay of the atter can find itself "mixing it up" with a Panther.

Again - your argument that an individual Panther will far more often that not, take out a single Sherman or T-34, or Valentine, or Churchil III, or Stuart, or Cromwell, or alot of other tanks running around in 44 is fact. So will a Tiger. But it will find itself in trouble against an ISU or IS-2, Does that make the ISU and IS-2 better MBTs than a Panther?

And interestingly the descendent of the Sherman, upgraded and couped with "MBT" doctrine as the Isherman handed the IS-2 descendant the T-55 its ass in 67. Fancy that. All manner of circular and extrapolatory arguments can be made. What does it 'prove'?

quote:

In reality, what mattered was its role, not its size. It was an infantry support weapon and as such not designed to duel, and therefore it is excusable for it to not compare, although if the British had filled out the Guards Armoured with them and sent them into Goodwood, we would have had reason to compare them because the Churchill was being asked to perform as an MBT not infantry support.

So it is only those Shermans unucky enough to bump into a group of Panthers that are "outclassed" - as long as they "know their place" and do what they were designed to do, they are acceptable. Er "excusable". What matters is exactly the "role" and the "role" of allied medium tanks was NOT to be an "MBT". So one is left with the absurdity that had Shermans run away from Panthers and not engaged them, they would not have "mixed it up" with MBTs and therefor not been comparable. What about the case - as often happened when Panthers engaged an unspecting group of (insert tank to be morphed into an MBT here). The Cromwells 'assulted" by Wittman by this argument were heavy tanks and damn poor ones at that becasue a Tiger chewed them up and spit them out...

quote:

For a further example, the Sherman when used in recce regiments was better in one respect than the M5 because it was better able to drive off light German resistance that it came across. The M5 was less survivable and aggressive recce of this sort was beyond it. However, its "medium" status is irrelevant, what we are weighing are the attributes and how they fit the given recce role. The M5 had other qualities and weighing up the better recce tank would have to take those into combat.

One wonders what nomenclatural metamorphasis would have ocured if these Shermans operating in a recon role (better than light tanks!) had met a group of Panther trying to fend of an air attack while supporting an infantry assault. The fabric of the universe seems intact so luckily it must not have happened...

quote:

When weighing up the better Main battle tank, speed, manoeuvrability, armour and armament are all relevant and in this regard the Sherman was adequate until late 43, increasingly obselete after that. However, whilst a variety of factors go into explaining why this was the case (eg One of its issues is that battlefield experience comfirming that was rather later in coming.) none of those mitigating factors alter the fact it was obselete. They merely help explain why.

I was starting to wonder just where your argument was leading, but we are back to your fixation on the "Panther as MBT" - Given that its users pretty much invented the role, and the SHerman wasn't one, I submit that the Panther was a "better MBT than the Sherman". But then on the eastern front, by the same argument, the Panther was 'obsolete' and the IS-2 was a better one.

My argument is that while the Panther was a "better MBT" - one v one - the production, logisitical support, operational employment, and doctrinal integration of a "Panther class" class MBT by the US Army may not BY DEFINITION have lead to a faster end to the war or fewer casualties overall then our use of the Sherman. The fact that the Panther was a better MBT than the Sherman doesn't mean it was more appropriate for US use, or the Germans would not have pursued a diferent strategy if they faced it. Whether sufficient numbers, with suffient fuel, integrated appropriately with other combat arms, with required maintainability and ammunition suply could have been mainained via a transoceanic supply line would have been at least problematic. It might have lead to greater succes ith fewer casualties, but may have lead to understrength units, with insufficient fuel and ammo, used in a manner that did not fully employ their capabilities to best effect.

"Better" has more than one context - yours is individual capability "1 on 1" and mine considers the system of production, support and employment. Yours is one set of assumptions and measures, mine is a diffferent one. I understand yours, I simply ask that you try to understand mine.

Post #: 429
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 3:50:13 AM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Under this criteria, given 76 mm weapons were not that good, the ammo dubious and the better rounds only available in very limited quantities late in 44, I'd argue they were better than any sherman.

There is no authoritative evidence that 76mm APC M62 ammunition was of questionable quality - and the battlefield records definately suggest otherwise.
quote:

quote:

I disagree. The Sherman was being asked to attack forces with significant numbers of these weapons.

I disagree with you - the job of destroying heavy German armor was that of the Tank Destroyers, Field Artillery and Air Support.
75mm gunned Shermans did have to contend with Panthers and Tigers on occasion, and that they accomplished by flanking.
quote:

quote:

As a battle tank, ANY Sherman was capable of killing any Panther or Tiger I on any battlefield - though this ment maneuvering to the target's flank by 30 degrees or more in the case of the Panther, and also closing to within 100 meters or so in the case of the Tiger I. THIS is where the "5 Shermens lost to make one kill" ratio happened "ON OCCASION" in France's hedgerow country.

Yes, but you make this sound like fun. Since a Tiger could open a Sherman up from around 2000 metres, how long would the Sherman have been in Tiger range before it covered the 1900 metres it needed to do this (assuming the terrain it was covering was easy to traverse and not a hindrance. How many shots could a Tiger get off in that time?

Largely immaterial, engagement range in NW Europe was usually under 700 meters, ranges at wich 3" and 76mm guns were effective against Tigers and Panthers. Also, accept for the Battle of the Bulge, any location of German heavy Armor was delt with by air power and/or Heavy field artillery.
quote:

quote:

The 17 pdr armed British Sherman M4A4 was quite capable of dealing with Panther and Tiger on any terms.

Not quite, the ammo was a little wayward after 1000 metres, although still potent if it landed.

quote:

The 76mm armed US M4A1 and M4A3 were also quite capable of doing the same - but woud generally have to either hit the turret on Panther, or maneuver to 30 degrees oblique to punch the soft side on Panther.

And what did the Panther have to do to handle the Sherman?

Split itself into superior numbers to avoid being flanked and exposing its sides to superior numbers of Shermans - which of course it could not do.
quote:

quote:

Not relevant if you can't kill anything with it.

The point is that a tanks main job is to kill soft targets and disrupt the enemy's rear, in this regard the original AGF theory was (IMHO) correct. The mistake they made was in not providing a better HVAP round for the 75mm gunned Sherman (much the same as Britain not supplying HE or cannister for 2pdr and 6pdr... I don't understand that choice at all).
quote:

quote:

It had a .50 cal extra. Nice to have but the Commander has to show himself to use it, that's not so nice, and either way, it doesn't help in a Tank fight.

quote:

quote:

Conceded, although the German POL and air situation meant Americans could have fielded Rickshaws and had better mobility than the Germans had.

quote:

quote:

So, you're saying that Americans won by attrition?

By superior numbers, applying superior firepower - not quite the same as attrition - but that works too.

quote:

quote:

The IV wasn't since it got a long 75, the III was obselete by early 44, perhaps even mid 43.

Not saying that - just illustrating that facing an enemy tank superior in armor does not mean your tank is obsolete. IMHO the PzKx IV and PzKw III proved to be quite valuable and adaptable AFVs. In fact, I would probably side with those of the opinion that Germany would have been better served concentrating on far greater numbers of these proven AFVs (and varients such as Nashorn) than spending limited resources on their Tiger and Panther series.
quote:

quote:

Air power.

Well, at Mortain it was vastly the Field Artillery (IIRC).... but the point is that tanks don't do it all, and just because British Shermans didn't do well in Goodwood - doesn't mean Shermans were bad, any more than the German failure at Mortain means their tanks were bad - overall it was the situation of the attacks that doomed each to failure.
quote:

quote:

B

But the factors you gave were largely irrelevant in a Tank duel save ROF (although this is qualified by the fact the rounds have little effect) and reliability, although this is more an operational trait than a tactical one. the Sherman wasn't a poor tank, it served well in many theatres, but it was becoming obselete by 1944 and was outclassed by the Panther and Tiger (around one third the German Panzer Arm) and just competitive against the other two thirds.

Regards,
IronDuke

Well, we disagree, especially on the measure and role of a tank. Though I agree Panther was more advanced than Sherman, nor do I dispute that Tiger definately held some advantages over Sherman, my only contention is that the degree of advantage both of those held over Sherman (while undeniable to some extent) was not so overpowering as to make the Sherman useless and doomed to loose against them. Nor do they cancel out Shermans good points as a tank - reliability, good overall firepower, yes- numbers, range of operation without breakdown, etc. These German heavies certainly did not have enough margin of superiority to make Sherman a non-factor - as say Matilda II held over early German and Italian armor in the Western Desrt in 1940-41.

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/4/2007 6:05:07 PM >

Post #: 430
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 4:38:54 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

From the book Panzertruppen (2) Thomas L. Jents ISBN: 0-7643-0080-6, combat report. Starts on page 34, so I'm not going to post the whole thing. The page number has nothing to do with it!

The Person that wrote this was attached to Kampfgruppe Sander In and attack on a collective farm near Sseremikowo. He talks mostly about his own Tiger. The date was February 10-11, 1943.

In the report there are many descriptions of hits and threr effects against his Tiger. So many rounds hit the tank, and it shook so much, that the gun remained in full recoil and was unuseable and the radio was damaged.

In the end, bathed in MG fire and AT fire they retreated.

This tank was close assaulted with an explosive charge landing on top of the tank with barely n effect.
227 ATR rounds were counted, 14 hits from 57mm ATG and 45mm ATG(2 cupola hits by 45mm), and 11 hits from 76.2 mm guns.

The right track and suspention were heavily damaged. Several road wheals and their suspention arms were perforated. The Idler wheel worked out of it's mount. Because of the many hit's several weld joints failed and caused the fuel tank to start leaking. There were also several hits on the tracks.

"In spite of all this damage, the Tiger still managed to cover an additional 60 kilometers under it's own power."

Just a little Tiger I bed time story to let you all sleep better.

< Message edited by Kevin E. Duguay -- 2/4/2007 5:05:08 AM >

KED

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 431
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 12:36:53 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay

Just a little Tiger I bed time story to let you all sleep better.

On the night of August 12th, Capt. Ivushkin and crews of two tanks heard a sound of engines. In the morning of August 13th, Germans performed an artillery and air bombardment but without any success due to the good camouflage of the Soviet troops and tanks and overall lack of inteligence on Soviet positions. At 7:00, 11 Kingtigers moved straight into the Soviet ambush. German tanks had problems to move in the sandy ground and advanced slowly. Three Kingtigers passed the camouflaged T-34-85 and afterwards two tanks of Capt. Ivushkin opened fire and destroyed 3 Kingtigers by direct hits to their side armor. The road was blocked and other Kingtigers were forced to retreat.

=)

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/articles/tigertam.htm

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 432
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 4:50:45 PM   
hueglin

quote:

My argument is that while the Panther was a "better MBT" - one v one - the production, logisitical support, operational employment, and doctrinal integration of a "Panther class" class MBT by the US Army may not BY DEFINITION have lead to a faster end to the war or fewer casualties overall then our use of the Sherman. The fact that the Panther was a better MBT than the Sherman doesn't mean it was more appropriate for US use, or the Germans would not have pursued a diferent strategy if they faced it. Whether sufficient numbers, with suffient fuel, integrated appropriately with other combat arms, with required maintainability and ammunition suply could have been mainained via a transoceanic supply line would have been at least problematic. It might have lead to greater succes ith fewer casualties, but may have lead to understrength units, with insufficient fuel and ammo, used in a manner that did not fully employ their capabilities to best effect.

"Better" has more than one context - yours is individual capability "1 on 1" and mine considers the system of production, support and employment. Yours is one set of assumptions and measures, mine is a diffferent one. I understand yours, I simply ask that you try to understand mine.

Excellent points. I agree entirely with this analysis. The doctrines and logistical problems of the two countries were so dissimilar that it is hard to determine how "successful" a Panther type MBT would have been in US service. As has been said many times on this thread, in the Sherman, the U.S. Armour officers seem to have gotten the tank they wanted.
What is also certain, however, is that the next generation(s) of U.S. MBT (M26/M46/M47/M48/M60) shared more of the overall characteristics of the Panther than of the Sherman. In addition, post war U.S. armour doctrine owed more to German WWII armour doctrine than to U.S. WWII armour doctrine. U.S. tanks became optimized for anti-armour combat and the TD concept was dropped.

Post #: 433
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 5:07:06 PM   
shunwick

Lets not forget that the Sherman had better rivets.  I think the rivet issue has been seriously neglected in Military Historical terms. 

Best wishes,

< Message edited by shunwick -- 2/4/2007 5:20:04 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 434
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 5:53:06 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

This sort of nonsense is exactly how you ended up "leaving" the Steak House. I won't ask you to quote to back this up, as I know you "don't do that". We have no right to ruin a rather nice thread with it here. You're on ignore. If you have a question, get Rune or Veb to ask it for you.

Ask a question and be subject to the above "polite" character assassination. Noting the lack of an answer from the "esteemed" Iron Duke.

Rather simple question. The US had found no reason to doubt the ability of the Sherman to preform the expected role of the US doctrine through 42 and 43. By mid 44 they "may" have found it lacking. The point being by then with the war over in 10 months, other than what they did, bringing the 76's on line and bringing in the M-26's, what EXACTLY could they have done differently?

The answering being, of course, They should have ignored their wants, the functionality of the Sherman and realized before ever there was combat evidence directly by the US, that they should have in hindsight built a Heavy tank they didnt want and fielded the M-26 sooner even against the wishes of the Armor Generals leading the fight.

Post #: 435
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 6:02:08 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

While not technically a tank, I love the JagdPanther. Beautiful vehicle.

Goblin

..yup, s'got style..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 436
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 6:05:50 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Lets not forget that the Sherman had better rivets.  I think the rivet issue has been seriously neglected in Military Historical terms. 

Best wishes,

..with reference to a totally other science, (biological) i so agree with you..

..rivets are so important..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 437
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 8:07:00 PM   
Big B

One last post on this subject,

Whenever a WWII tank debate comes up, it seems to inevitably turn into a controversial bashing of the M4.
Yet, I have never seen (myself) a similar trend to belittle the T-34 - quite the contrary.

However in a side by side comparison of the two AFVs, the M4 compares quite well to the comparable T-34 model.

The M3 75mm L40 gun has a bit better anti-armor performance than the F-34 76.2mm L41.5 gun mounted in the T-34 (and this Soviet gun was known to have ammunition quality problems).
The M7 3" L53, and the M1, M1A1 76mm L55 guns had marginally better ant-armor performance than the Soviet 85mm D-5T L54 gun. Both vehicles had the same merits and problems dealing with German armor.

The M4's frontal armor was generally as well as T-34, ammunition load equaled or exceeded the comparable T-34 model, German anti-tank weapons had the same effect (or lack of) on both. The 5 man crew of the M4 was arguably better disposed than the 4 man crew arrangement of the T-34.

The T-34 had lower ground pressure than most M4 models, and a very good diesel engine, but the M4 was automotively at least as reliable (from what I have read it seemed a bit more reliable).

The M4 also had many features the T-34 lacked (gyro-stabilizer, good radios, better vision devices, etc.)

And lastly, when the T-34/85-II met the M4A3E8 in combat in Korea, the latter had no difficulty dealing with the former ( a likely crew quality advantage for the US is acknowledged).

None of this is to belittle the T-34, but clearly, the M4 compares favorably with the T-34.

Yet it seems that the T-34 is popularly respected and the M4 seems (in many circles) ridiculed.

I must say that the apparent contradiction here in terms of WWII tank effectiveness mystifies me...

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 2/4/2007 8:20:30 PM >

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 438
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 11:03:47 PM   
Twotribes

Bashing Russia is out of favor.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 439
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/4/2007 11:49:41 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

Goblin

..yup, s'got style..

I agree as well, an awesome looking vehicle. Imagine the debate we could have over which was the best tank destroyer! On second thought, let's not.

Post #: 440
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 12:51:33 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Goblin

..yup, s'got style..

I agree as well, an awesome looking vehicle. Imagine the debate we could have over which was the best tank destroyer! On second thought, let's not.

The daft thing about this thread is that it's not about which was the best WWII tank but which WWII tank is your favourite. Mine's the Sherman. Mine's the Panther. End of argument.

Best wishes,

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 441
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 12:53:41 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Goblin

..yup, s'got style..

The daft thing about this thread is that it's not about which was the best WWII tank but which WWII tank is your favourite. Mine's the Sherman. Mine's the Panther. End of argument.

Oh, and the JagdPanther is seriously cool.

Best wishes,

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 442
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 1:05:23 AM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,

..with reference to a totally other science, (biological) i so agree with you..

..rivets are so important..

Very few people get the rivet issue. After the 1937 Great Rivet Scandal the whole rivet appreciation society went underground. What is not generally known is that NSC-10/2 (June 1948) had an attached codesil authorizing the CIA to sabotage the Soviet rivet research. This was a direct consequence of captured Nazi documents detailing Hitler's advanced rivet programme. It was feared that a large part of that project fell into Soviet hands at the end of the second world war. A good deal of Cold War posturing was due to rivet envy.

Best wishes,

Post #: 443
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 2:49:59 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Incorrect. IIRC, my argument earlier was that Americans hereabouts weren't listening to the troops because Americans hereabouts persisted with the Sherman was fine argument.

quote:

You seem to have lost track of some of your previous arguments in this thread ID...so I think you "IIRC" wrong...

I haven't lost track, you just haven't been listening. However, now for a little of the rhetorical deviousness, the absence of which I so praised earlier.

quote:

Re the Sherman and the absence of American uber AFVs, I think it is more complicated than just blaming McNair and the Infantry Branch.

quote:

America could do best and most. With the Sherman, she merely did most. With the M-26, I am sure she didn't manage most in time to make a difference, and I'm not sure she did best either.

quote:

The Mafia in this case was just about everyone. McNair came up with TD doctrine, but he was Marshall's man so the Joint Chiefs would have backed him as well. Infantry branch didn't want uber tanks, and neither did the cavalry.

What does all this prove? The first statement was partly rhetorical, it was in response to you claiming the sherman came with a water cannon because they were listening to the folks on the ground. Not quite what you said, but what's a little rhetorical deviousness amongst friends .

I can't believe you took it as the central theseis of my argument given it was clearly a dig at those hereabouts who ignore without comment all the anecdotal evidence provided from individual tankers right on up to Brad and Ike. (You may still comment now if you want to explain why they thought the Sherman was outclassed).

It was why I said "Americans hereabouts". It is rhetoric to juxtapose it the way you have. I take it as encouragement .

The other three statements are perfectly consistent are they not? The first one says it wasn't McNair and the Infantry Branch alone, the third says Marshall and the Cavalry branch also didn't want uber tanks. Where is the contradiction? The third one you have agreed with your pro attrition statements so whaere is the issue.

It is disingenuous to take the first statement and try and turn it into something that contradicts everything else.

quote:

Firstly, overall American style simply never suited American armoured doctrine. Broad front offensives which lacked operational concentration were simply not conducive to the breakthrough. When breakthrough finally came in NW Europe, it was tellingly at that point the last German in front of 3rd Army had been shot and bombed into submission. Therefore, Allied armour in general tended to fight in situations its doctrine didn't ask it to. It is no surprise it was found wanting.

Secondly, it didn't have the sustained lesson learning its foes had in the east. When it did try and learn lessons, it generally did it poorly or slowly or both. Evaluation of the Tiger in Tunisia was lamentable and flawed, experience of the Panther limited. What experience it could learn from (primarily British experience in 41-42 in Africa) tended to reinforce doctrinal belief rather than knock it. The M4 and Grant squitted themselves well against the best German designs in theatre indicating there were no real issues facing german Tanks technically, and Rommel made extensive use of AT gun lines to defeat British armoured thrusts reinforcing the opinions gained from Spain that AT guns had the edge where they met armour.

I also said this. The first set of statements show why Shermans were persevered with, the second set why they struggled from the broad point of view, eschewing facts and figures we've already been over.

What is your point here? (Apart from proving you can speak rhetoricese with the best of them )

quote:

So it seems you did start out criticizing not just those 'hereabouts' but those 'back then' too.

C'mon, Paul, this is poor. I made a rhetorical point about the Alliedfans on this board and you have created a shopping mall of straw out of it. Besides, I was partially defending the adoption of TD doctrine, pointing out why it was understandable (there are better quotes for illlustrating this than the ones you have quoted). It is Alliedfans who generally go overboard telling you how flawed it was.

quote:

You seem to appreciate the pro-Sherman argument, since you make it.

Yes I do.

quote:

the Sherman suited America because it was relatively quick and manoeuvrable which suited American doctrine. It was easy to make which suited American industry. It was relatively light and easy to transport which suited American logistics and strategic planners and it was relatively straightforward to maintain and fight which suited the American Citizen Army. At the sharp end, though, it had some issues.

But where is the inconsistency? You've quoted two passages of mine so far on doctrine. One says American doctrine liked the Sherman. The other that American doctrine struggled because of their operational method (which therefore exposed the sherman). How does one in any way contradict the other? All I am saying is I understand why American doctrine favoured the sherman, but I can also (unlike some others) appreciate the problems it had and hypothesise some reasons why.

quote:

And when facing an IS-2 so did the Panther, and it was not in as much "harmony with the system" by the above criteria either. Yet it appears beyond criticism simply because it could take a Sherman one on one. Same is true of a T-34, yet it too seems to escape criticsm.

What does this mean? I haven't mentioned the T34. Where on the western front did the Panther face these? The argument has developed into a discussion of the Sherman's abilities vis a vis German Tanks in 1944. Why would I mention the T34?????? You surely can't criticise me for not mentioning something that wasn't even on the radar?

quote:

The apparent inconsistency in your arguments is what got me involved in the thread.

I disagree. As I've illustrated above, there is nothing inconsistent in anything I've said as long as you don't wildly extrapolate out through a series of suppositions a mild dig at the Americans on this board. I said they weren't listening, and you've built the Empire state building on top of it. If I speculated why you got involved, I think the thread would go even quicker downhill, so I won't.

quote:

If you simply meant to argue "A typical Panther will beat a typical Sherman in a 1-1 encounter" I would have had no problem with that statement, becasue it is true.

quote:

All the rambling inconsistent musing about WHY that situation existed and the perception that it was somehow criminal leading to the Sherman being "crap" that is the issue.

Rambling inconsistent musing you haven't tried to contradict so far in this post. For it to be rambling and inconsistent, you need to demonstrate it.

quote:

You got the "right answer" but justifying it, it appears in many ways your analysis of the situation that lead to that fact is flawed - or at least too steeped in cnspiracy theorizing and implied culpability.

Only if you haven't read what I've written and instead tried to rhetorically twist it to deflect the argument.

quote:

Well, if I'm going to use A Tiger or Panther and you are going to use a Sherman, why can't we compare?

quote:

Well why can't we make the same sort of argument about the Panther vis-a-vis the IS-2?

You can. I just didn't because I didn't see what relevance it had in an argument about the sherman and the Panther. My apologies for not predicting your train of thought here.

quote:

The same argument for the Sherman being "outclassed" by the Panther makes the Panther outclassed by the IS-2 (the M with 120@60 glacis plate and 122mm gun anyway).

As above, when did the Americans field these?

quote:

Is your argument situational and the Panther "out of its depth" on the Ostfront?

We'd have to explore it. My argument was that the Sherman was out of its depth. You've introduced the Ostfront and the IS II as a rhetorical hail mary into the endzone. Where did this ever get raised. Surely, you should raise these as points, not use the failure of them to be raised out of the blue thus far as some sort of minus point for me. If you want to extrapolate the argument out to include the Ostfront, go ahead, but it didn't require this sort of rhetorical aggressiveness. Besides, saying the IS II is better than the Panther says what about the Sherman exactly?

quote:

IT appears by:

quote:

Only if you take as read that tank statistics are the only factor. I don't so the above doesn't follow. Superior tactics and C3 would have had an effect on the Russian front.

quote:

that it is not... That is a problem for your argument as it appears to allow for "other factors" where the Panther (or T-34) is outclassed, but hold eh equation constant on the Western...again consistency in analysis is all that is being asked for.

But those other factors are all operational directly affecting how the vehicle performs in combat. Your other factors (which you know I agree with since you quoted me) are strategic (i.e. The US Army liked "more") which seek to make up for tactical issues. I also think that C3 was less of an issue on the Western front because neither Army lacked for radios or decent training (most of the time). In the east, the situation could often be different.

I've already alluded to these sorts of issues, pointing out the Panthers at Lorraine were factory fresh and driven by very green and ill trained crews. We can widen the discussion again if you like but again you seem to be making up stuff to be snippy about. If you want to call it a day here, do so, but this is unwarranted.

quote:

These figures are partially skewed by the late war though when German armour was in very short supply.

quote:

No, that is true only if you are ignoring the part of the casualty equation that relates to rate of engagement and focus ony on the part that relates to exchange rate per engagement. You can change the casualty rate by changing the exchange rate per engagement, or the engagement rate (in this case by atritting the Panthers faster than they could be replaced, and bringing in Shermans faster than they are being lost. Form a "big picture standpoint" if the trend is going down becasue of one relationship, might that not make up for issue trying to adjust the other?

But you were using the stats to show German Tanks didn't kill that many allied tanks because things like mines and infantry weapons killed loads. I pointed out that infantry weapons became more prevalent late war because there weren't many tanks left to shoot with. If the statement above (and I'm not convinced I follow it, feel free to quote this bit and say something condescending) is saying that the exchange rate was offset by the superior American engagement rate, why didn't you just say the Americans had more tanks?

quote:

I don't see how. Logic suggests to me that it is better to get off two shots that might kill something than three shots that won't. The demand for the Firefly and 17 pdr suggests that on the ground (whatever our models 70 years on might suggest)
the Firefly made a difference.

quote:

Because it my have lead to a tactic where rather than trying to outflank the Panther and byass it, to instead go toe to toe with it. You assume that "everything will remain the same" afer you make a major perterbation to the differential caluculus. You can't change one variable and effect their to be no operations effect. It may have been for the best, but it may not. We dont know.

In my humble opinion, it would have made a world of difference. Not least illustrated by the popularity of the Firefly. In other words, we have evidence on the ground of this "major peturbation to the differential calculus" in action and the eyewitnesses thought it a good peturbation, because having seen it they wanted to peturb more often. The Americans appealed for Fireflies at least twice during the campaign and the British crews couldn't get enough. the Germans also shot them first in engagements wherever possible suggesting they weren't too happy when the 17 pdr peturbation was in full swing either. I dispute the notion "we don't know" because I think the evidence allows us to make a sound judgement.

quote:

Standard German doctrine and aggression demanded as much. Facing shermans made them cocky at times, but I don't think you can abandon your entire doctrinal base that quickly. Besides, without offensive action, you don't win.

quote:

You treat the Western Front in a vacuum again.

Is this because this is all the discussion has centred on it or have I missed something?

quote:

The East saw that exact thing happen and the Germans adopted the "hedgehog" defense.

I thought they did this in the winter of 41, but standard German practice didn't, surely. They attempted to operate along standard lines wherever possible. The reason they adopted the hedgehog where they did was troop density. This method meant they didn't have to man a continuous front (which they couldn't because they lacked the manpower) and hedgehogs interfered with enemy movement enough to buy time for more mobile reserves to intervene.

In addition, German defensive doctrine also emphasised firepower and its utilisation. Hedgehogs were not inconsistent with that since the spaces in between could be targeted by artillery and long range fire. Secondly, I don't think the Germans ever stuck tanks in the middle of these hedgehogs as standard, so I think you're way out here. The British sometimes did in their "boxes" but not the Germans.

quote:

Why would they not do that in the West?

Well, firstly, I just don't follow this entire line, disagreeing with your analysis of German defensive doctrine in the east and failing to understand how it relates to the Tank issue.

My initial reaction to the hedgehog argument in general would be that the Germans had the manpower in Normandy to man a continuous front and revert to more conventional methods. German defensive doctrine emphasised depth above all else, and they certainly had that in places like Goodwood.

quote:

An argument can be made that with a lessor tactical advanage they may have chosen rather than to "shoot their wad" trying to keep the Allies in Normandy, and then disintigrate back to Germany, to use a more Eastern front OPLAN and fight a much more defefensily oriented campaign across the depth of France. Would tht have resultd in fewer casualties?

I don't follow this line, so I'm not sure. The Germans adopted a hedgehog or strongpoint system as early as 1941 to allow small numbers of troops to control larger tracts of front. We should note that it only worked in 1941 because Stalin got overambitious and let the Germans off the hook. It was an expedient, however, not a tactical choice. It wasn't the Germans saying "lets build hedgehogs, it is the best way to stop Ivan". It was the Germans saying "lets build hedgehogs as it is a better way of hindering Ivan given the shallowness of our front. What other choice have we got?".

In the winter of 1941, it also allowed what was left of then Germany Army to congregate on the few villages and towns where there might be some semblance of shelter, and it also allowed them to exert some control on the road net in the poor weather that had a disprortionate effect on russian operations than holding a similiarly sized piece of ground somewhere else might.

As the war progressed, it also occasionally allowed the increasingly ill trained and inferior German soldier to defend better, because it required less aggression, initiative and effort than the standard doctrine of elastic defence in depth.

In other words, it was a tactical expedient of necessity, not one of choice. They would have preferred defence in depth, outposts, forward lines, MLRs and rear positions and much else. They didn't have the manpower, so hedgehogs it was.

In Normandy, the Germans had different issues. Part of the attraction of fighting forward was a narrower front, much narrower than they would have faced anywhere else in france allowing greater depth which in turn meant hedgehogs weren't required. Secondly, hedgehogs would have been of limited use in the bocage because you couldn't command the spaces in between as they were shielded by foliage. Thirdly, Allied stand off firepower made densely packed hedgehogs problematic. Monty would just have crushed one after the other for as long as he had to. fourthly, they did sometimes buy time to deploy mobile reserves in the east, but that wasn't as easy in the west because the Germans lost air parity much earlier and much more completely making operational movement to counterattack breaches much harder. The list goes on, but I simply don't think your analysis correct right from the off here so I'm not adding anything by continuing.

quote:

They only have so many of these, though. Your argument suggests they had choices. I think ultimately, they had very few. What made their Tanks effective was the tactical and limited operational mobility that allowed them to take a hand on the battlefield from a reserve. Guns and mines don't have this.

quote:

Of course they had choices, and they made different choices in the East when on the other side of the coin.

no, they sometimes made different choices in the east (I don't think hedgehogs were universal or preferred policy) but that is explainable by unique conditions on the Ostfront. I think you've completely misread this and having done so, tried to build something complicated on top. It had nothing to do with the armour match up.

This is best illustrated by the Rommel V Schweppenburg argument. Rommel knew Allied aerial firepower, so wanted to deploy reserves forward and fight on the beach. Schweppenburg was the tip on the iceberg of a whole raft of Ostheer who arrived in Normandy from January 1944 inwards and brought eastern methods with them. This emphasised defence in depth (something the Westheer also tried to practise - Goodwood etc - it was standard German defensive doctrine) and mobile reserves held centrally for counterattack. In other words, the entire defensive argument in the west was based on Ostfront veterans trying to deploy as doctrine required, and Rommel trying to deploy otherwise because he had seen Allied airpower in Africa.

The Ostheer didn't bring different methods, they brought German methods, and they brought them without knowing much about Allied capabilities via a vis Tanks. Rommel wanted to try something different based upon tactical and operational experience.

Hedgehogs are irrelevant because they were a tactical and operational solution where troops were thin on the ground, not a doctrinal solution. They weren't adopted because of anything to do with Tanks, but because of troop density issues on the ground. They weren't adopted because Germans wanted to, but because Germans had to. You are taking operational necessity and turning it into operational choice, and then building another argument on top of it. It doesn't follow.

In Normandy, at times, the Germans got to practise defensive doctrine as they wished and things went fairly well (Goodwood being the prime example).

quote:

Ultimately, what have you got against victory with a better exchange rate like GWI or GWII? This is a very narrow argument. Which was the better Tank?

quote:

Nothing - but your assumption that if the Americans say deployed 76 armed tanks in stead of 75sand 17lbers insead of 76s and had Pershings supporting, that the Germans would have cnducted an IDENTICAL campaign agaisnt them is naive to say the least. And that the notion that the different sitution would have automatically resulted in fewer casualties is something the East at least raises issues with.

I don't assume, I just don't see what the east has got to do with it. As I've said, I think you have misinterpreted how things worked there. You have then extrapolated that misinterpretation out to start talking about Tanks. I personally don't think the Germans would have employed a different campaign because German defensive doctrine didn't drill down to the level of relative Tank firepower. It drilled down to a basic set of rules that taught you where to try and position pieces and how to behave.

The proof of this is in their counterattack doctrine. They hit back at every opportunity, despite the fact that the allies had their measure and handed them some fearful punishment. They didn't change doctrine because of it, indeed, one of the things that cost the Germans dear was doctrinal inflexibility. However. this rules out being flexible because of relative tank statistics of the Opfor does it not?

Try Wray's Standing fast, it deals with the early period on the Ostfront but says much that remains true throughout and in other theatres. Hedgehogs are a red herring.

quote:

Did German tank casualties go down when the Panther was introduced? Or did other factors change in response?

the real question is did the Sherman/Panzer casualty exhange go up as MK IVs were replaced by Panthers.

quote:

To follow your GW anaology what if we had produced less Shermans and more P-47s? Or would it have been better to produce les P-47s and get the Pershing fielded sooner? this is one of the reasons GGWaW is so fun - you can explore asymmetric strategies :)

Yes, but the discussion thus far has been about a realtively narrow question. You can broaden it out, but the narrow question remains a valid one even if you do so. Which was the better Tank?

quote:

No. The Sherman wasn't a better fighter than the Panther,

quote:

It could not have beaten a Panther, just like Sugar Ray would have needed an analogous "lucky hit" to KO Ali. Yet people still make the "pound for pound" argument he was better.

Yes, but Sugar Ray never needed to get in with a man Ali's size, the Sherman did. Therefore, who was the better fighter suddenly became irrelevant because rather than a "middleweight" and a "heavyweight" in the same ring together they were "boxers" - or MBTs following my earlier argument - and what counted was punching power, ability to take a punch etc. Sugar Ray wasn't helped in this instance either because Ali was faster and more maneurable.

quote:

You can claim that is not a good argument, but that is simply your opinion.

And this is simply yours.

quote:

it just means he wins by clever use of numbers.

quote:

Scoreboard. I'll take winning by any means over "losing with style"...in ar anyway!

Attrition hath no advocate like a Civilian or Military historian . This argument began with Sven arguing America could have had scoreboard and better Tanks to boot. In my experience, when the latter don't turn up, the scoreboard argument gets wheeled out. We won in WWI. It doesn't mean the Somme was particularly clever.

quote:

If the sherman was only a "medium" why was it mixing it with the heavier German designs? Ultimately, it was mixing it because "medium" or not, it was first and foremost a Tank and the Germans didn't make allowance when fighting vehicles that were lighter than them. The Sherman, when deployed in armoured formations using fire and maneuver, and likely to face enemy armour, was a Main Battle Tank.

quote:

Why did the T-34 mix it up with the Panther and the Panther with the IS-2?

Because these were the vehicles being fielded.

quote:

The Sherman was not an MBT an he notion that just becasue it happend to meet what was probably the first of that class that it therefore was one is strained.

No, it isn't because MBT was a role. You were one if you attempted the role. If I climb in with Ali, I am a pugilist, despite the fact only he has trained to be one. The argument the Sherman struggled because it wasn't an MBT but had to be one argues for its obselescence doesn't it?

quote:

Were the M-10 and Valentine MBTs becauue they mixed it up" with Panthers? How about a KV-1? The Sherman was an infantry support tank desinged to attack enemy infantry formations and drive through them.

and

quote:

but that ignores its intended and the role it was most used in - infantry support and rapid advance.

So you are saying it was both infantry support and Cavalry Tank.

In other words it fulfilled all roles, which effectively made it an MBT did it not? What other missions did armour ever have during World War II aside from recce and I think the British used the Churchill in a few of their recce regiments as well.

Ultimately, I think it was more Cavalry Tank because Devers chose the engine for reliability but the 75mm makes a powerful argument for infantry tank. Either way, once you start using it for everything, how do you designate it? A main battle tank is simply a Tank designed to fulfill any role you assign it. therefore, your description of the Sherman sounds tailor made for an MBT.

Therefore, I haven't ignored anything, you have said it wasn't an MBT, then outlined its roles which make it clear it effectively was an MBT.

quote:

It was outclassed in that role by around a third of the Germans it faced, and had its handfull with the other two thirds.

quote:

I'll agree withthe former...but that ignores its intended and the role it was most used in - infantry support and rapid advance. It can be argued that with a heavier tank the drive across France would have taken longer

Maybe by a few days, but there was no serious resistance so the drive was slower because they couldn't move as fast but that was all. I also don't see that it would have made any difference. the Germans would have stopped where they did, and we would have drawn up to the line where we did. In other words, a heavier Tank would not have impacted operationally.

quote:

and the response to the Bulge may not have been as effective. (Fuel for the rather efficient Shermans was problematic as it was - extensive deployment of a "panther equivlent" would have required a LOT more fuel...again adaptive and emergent nature of war makes "single variable analysis" problematic.

But I thought two of the spearhead divisions that Patton drove on Bastogne with were infantry fighting Germans Volks formations. The Allies could easily have stood other formations down to provide the fuel (they frequently did anyway) and the net result would merely have been anyway, that German Tanks might have run out of fuel slightly further west than they did. I don't think the Allied response was inspired so much as solid. Monty blocked the endzone and Patton tried a clumsy sack.

quote:

quote:

And one had other advantages... Two men with a bopod MG42 can engage one target but two men each with a BAR can engage two. So which is better?

The MG42 because the Americans didn't deploy two BARs per squad so were not capable of engaging two targets, and the MG42 could attack wider targets more forcefully with its high ROF. It also had a belt feed allowing for more sustained firing and better suppressive qualities. Machine guns are not always deployed to kill, but to suppress so others can kill. The MG42 far outperformed the BAR in this role.

quote:

If you have one target to suppress the MG2, if you have 2 the BAR. .

But having made the option situationally dependent, you seem to want to make it TOE independent.

quote:

'Better' is situationally dependant.

Okay what if you have two targets, two BARs and two MG42s (as the Germans did employ in some of their squad TOEs)What do you want then?

You are attempting to narrow the gap and make easy choices difficult by creating notional situations and stacking the parameters in favour of your preferred choice. The BAR or the MG42 is an easy call. It is easy to say two BARs rather than one MG42s, but then why can't I have two MG42s if you're going to have two BARs? The choice is a straightforward match up. You obfuscate the issue by creating situations in which the odds get stacked.

In other words, whether I have two targets to engage or one, the number of light MGs I have to deploy is likely to be the same since it is governed by TOE, so the choice remains a simple one. Do I engage two targets with an MG42 or a BAR. Everything else is theoretically interesting but practically irrelevant.

Besides, I seem to remember the Germans had a drum for the MG42 as well, so I'll take two of those...

quote:

Like The MG 42, the BAR decendants live on today as the FN MAG. One was an automaic rifle, one was a machine gun. That they were two different ways to provide squad light support in two different ways doesn't mean that certain advanages of the MG automatically trump the the others advatages as an autmatic rifle in all circumstances. That one say has a higer ROF is not relevant when you can't keep its high rate of fire fed with ammo.

But it is when you can. IIRC The average German supply quota had three times as much ammo as an American one despite being much smaller in overall weight. You work to offset the disadvantages of your weapon, not accept them. You also work to maximise its advantages.

quote:

quote:

So medium infantry support tanks and heavy infantry support tanks are not MBTs. Good eye. You are correct. The late Churchill with upgraded 75mm and heavier armor was able to give a Panther a run for its money but was not used as an MBT and therfore was not one, despite "mixing it up" with one. If you dislike me classing a Panther as "heavy" (despite it being as heavy as other countries heavy tanks) then I will call it the first "MBT" and say that you STILL can't directly compare it to tank destroyers, heavy tanks, light tanks, infantry support tanks or tank busting aircraft and artillery just becasue ay of the atter can find itself "mixing it up" with a Panther.

Yes, but the Churchill wasn't because it didn't but the Sherman was because it did. You've already said the Sherman was used in several roles. What is an MBT if not that? Note the Panther was drawn up at a time when the Germans were no longer fielding in a role specific manner, they wantefd one Tank fit all, but emphasised anti armour operations. But they were fielding an all purpose weapon because it didn;t come with a companion vehicle with a weapon optimised for infantry support.

Had the Sherman been used exclusively in the independent Tank battalions attached to the infantry divisions, then it was clearly just an infantry support Tank and we could have made light of its inability to tackle Panther, but the fact it almost exclusively equipped Allied Armoured Divisions as well is irrefutable proof it was an MBT. An MBT is just a Tank which gets asked to perform a range of missions and not asked to specialise in one.

quote:

Again - your argument that an individual Panther will far more often that not, take out a single Sherman or T-34, or Valentine, or Churchil III, or Stuart, or Cromwell, or alot of other tanks running around in 44 is fact. So will a Tiger. But it will find itself in trouble against an ISU or IS-2, Does that make the ISU and IS-2 better MBTs than a Panther?

Possibly, but this isn't a Panther love in so much as a Sherman reality check. We can change to discuss this issue if you want, but it isn't relevant to the issue at hand.

quote:

And interestingly the descendent of the Sherman, upgraded and couped with "MBT" doctrine as the Isherman handed the IS-2 descendant the T-55 its ass in 67. Fancy that. All manner of circular and extrapolatory arguments can be made. What does it 'prove'?

Easy. It proves that if you upgrade the Sherman with a gun capable of defeating enemy armour it can perform as an effective MBT. This is exactly (in part) what this thread has actually been exploring with regards the arguments over the 76mm.

quote:

quote:

So it is only those Shermans unucky enough to bump into a group of Panthers that are "outclassed" - as long as they "know their place" and do what they were designed to do, they are acceptable. Er "excusable". What matters is exactly the "role" and the "role" of allied medium tanks was NOT to be an "MBT".

But an MBT is just a multi role Tank. You've already said the Sherman performed multiple roles. What further evidence do you actually require? Secondly, if the style of armour was changing during the second world war, and producing a different style of Tank, then it further illustrates the sherman was struggling because when it stepped up to fill the role, it won by attrition rather than quality.

quote:

So one is left with the absurdity that had Shermans run away from Panthers and not engaged them, they would not have "mixed it up" with MBTs and therefor not been comparable.

No it would have made them poor MBTs because they wouldn't been able to fight the enemy.

quote:

What about the case - as often happened when Panthers engaged an unspecting group of (insert tank to be morphed into an MBT here). The Cromwells 'assulted" by Wittman by this argument were heavy tanks and damn poor ones at that becasue a Tiger chewed them up and spit them out...

These were traditional Cruiser Tanks. Little can be gained from citing British Tanks because they were generally poor until the comet (Firefly accepted). however, I do think the Cruiser Tank was the one that had to evolve because the first thing an exploitation Tank required was the ability to defeat counterattacking armour. the Cromwell didn;t have that.

But surely, even if we are saying that all Tanks effectively became MBTs as the war progressed, the fact the Sherman struggled is proof it was becoming obselete.

Becoming obselete doesn't make you bad, it just makes you no longer good. the Sherman had a good record up till June 44. That doesn't disappear because it got a pasting after that.

quote:

quote:

One wonders what nomenclatural metamorphasis would have ocured if these Shermans operating in a recon role (better than light tanks!) had met a group of Panther trying to fend of an air attack while supporting an infantry assault. The fabric of the universe seems intact so luckily it must not have happened...

It is possible to support an argument by dreaming up complicated theoretical paradoxes, but impossible to prove one .

quote:

quote:

I was starting to wonder just where your argument was leading, but we are back to your fixation on the "Panther as MBT" - Given that its users pretty much invented the role, and the SHerman wasn't one, I submit that the Panther was a "better MBT than the Sherman". But then on the eastern front, by the same argument, the Panther was 'obsolete' and the IS-2 was a better one.

Now we're moving.

quote:

My argument is that while the Panther was a "better MBT" - one v one - the production, logisitical support, operational employment, and doctrinal integration of a "Panther class" class MBT by the US Army may not BY DEFINITION have lead to a faster end to the war or fewer casualties overall then our use of the Sherman.

No, but then all I've said was that...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber & now IronDuke
the Panther was a "better MBT" - one v one

quote:

The fact that the Panther was a better MBT than the Sherman doesn't mean it was more appropriate for US use, or the Germans would not have pursued a diferent strategy if they faced it.

No but it doesn't mean it wasn't. The fact that the Allies scrambled to provide upgunned versions and eventually got the M26 suggests that a better MBT (whether that was a Panther or something else is irrelevant) did fit okay because they went after these in the first place. German strategy was in a comfort zone where they could stand off with impunity. Robbing them of that option could not have done anything other than disadvantage them. The only other option to standing off is mixing it up or getting in close. Against heavier american weapons, neither was any better than standing off.

quote:

Whether sufficient numbers, with suffient fuel, integrated appropriately with other combat arms, with required maintainability and ammunition suply could have been mainained via a transoceanic supply line would have been at least problematic.

But "sufficient numbers" would have been less had you deployed it. Remember, the central American problem was that their rounds bounced off around a third of German armour on an all too regular basis. This implicitly recognises they were making hits. Hits with weapons that penetrated would have left fewer enemy weapons to deal with.

Secondly, American industry fed a fixed number of divisions 89-90 depending on when the war was. therefore, the idea it couldn't supply something bigger in the required numbers doesn't hold water for me. Had it been providing weapons for the absolute maximum numbers of troops you could have deployed might have complicated the issue, but given the Americans were feeding three efforts (US, UK and USSR) it is not a given that feeding something bigger to the US Army was beyond them. I never got the impression that America switched to an absolute war economy that precluded any further effort.

As for POL, the Allies were like everyone else. They stockpiled then went. Given the problems they had supplying the Shermans, it is not unreasonable to expect they would also have had problems supplying a better bigger MBT, but then they had supply issues anyway and still won handsomely. The pace and nature of operations might have been different, but the USSR certainly went the Behemoth MBT route, and their operational advances were impressive to say the least.

quote:

It might have lead to greater succes ith fewer casualties, but may have lead to understrength units, with insufficient fuel and ammo, used in a manner that did not fully employ their capabilities to best effect.

But the Allies were largely depicting the tempo of operations. Understrength armoured units are only an issue when you are outnumbered. When dictating the initiative, you can simply wait until you are up to strength before going. Remember, the Americans adopted the cheap and cheerful approach with infantry replacements and suffered higher casualties as a result.

quote:

I understand yours, but I just don't accept that the Americans had to make the choices you believe. As proof, you quoted me at the top of this thread saying:

quote:

the Sherman suited America because it was relatively quick and manoeuvrable which suited American doctrine. It was easy to make which suited American industry. It was relatively light and easy to transport which suited American logistics and strategic planners and it was relatively straightforward to maintain and fight which suited the American Citizen Army. At the sharp end, though, it had some issues

This is the crux. It may have suited America, but it was a poorer weapon. One can argue it was in America's interests (because of the above) to field a poorer weapon, but whilst that may make the weapon strategically acceptable, it doesn't make it tactically better. Indeed, modern American Armoured forces have POL hungry uber modern equipment. Different people call the plays these days.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 444
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 3:09:39 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Veb,
Might I suggest we narrow in on what we consider core issues, I've just realised the length of the reply and neither of us will get back the three hours of our life we will have to spend each post from now on if we continue in this vein.

Cheers,
IronDuke

Post #: 445
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 5:41:10 AM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Indeed, modern American Armoured forces have POL hungry uber modern equipment. Different people call the plays these days.

And the result is a force unresponsive to many potential situations - too heavy, to logistically straining, and can't get there in sufficient numbers when needed - all the problems I pointed out. The result is FCS - a move to a lighter, more operationally mobile, and logistically sustainable. A Foce of MBTs is no longer the "right force" for a military tat is not deployed in Europe waiting for teh Commie ordes, but based here in the US and expeditionary. I argue that a smilar issue was not dissmissable back in WWII.

I don't think it will us anywhere because we seen to be in agreement in the narrow argument.

Where we are at odds in whether that narrow argument amountd to a hill of beans in the big scheme of things.

It reminds me of arguments I mediate between the system modelers trying to demostrate how much "better" a new super whamadyne sonar processor makes a submarine, compared to all the other ones, but because the "campaing modelers as all hosed up" the campaign models don't demonstrate how much shorter and how many casualties it saves in the war. Often the cmapign deign mises the encounter type altogether an they need to modify it.

I have to explain that if you go 15 slides deep in the brief there were (a small number) out of (a big number) of encouters where the super whamadyne gixz made a difference, but that the effect of those cases on the whole campaign efforts was cancelled out somehere else.

The argument you appear to be making is that the disparity between the Panther and Sherman caused an unacceptable number of casualties. That is purely anecdotal - both in hindsight and at the time - as there is no dataset I know of that allows one to compare the number of the 14.5% of casuaties German tanks casued to Allied tanks were Panthers kiling Shermans in situations where say a 17lber armed Sherman would have pre-empted the shot. Based on analysis of similar situations in modern combat, I would surprised if the number would change casualies suffered by more than 1%. But it could be maybe 3-4. But again the issue of how the Germans would adapt to all SHermans being able to kill Pnathers at range would have been difficult to factor in.

If you have data of how changes in tactial performace "role up" to the operational level I would intereted in seeing it. I'e seen to mny cases where major technology upgrades "backfire" and produce changes in adersary tactics that either mitigate most of the advanage, or in some cases result in MORE causalties due to shifting to other forms of more asymmetric attack, when one asymetry is countered, or exploied.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 2/5/2007 5:59:05 AM >

Post #: 446
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 5:50:29 PM   
ezzler

None of this is to belittle the T-34, but clearly, the M4 compares favorably with the T-34.

Yet it seems that the T-34 is popularly respected and the M4 seems (in many circles) ridiculed.

I must say that the apparent contradiction here in terms of WWII tank effectiveness mystifies me...

Because the USSR was also developing and deploying better AFV as well as the T-34.

Not just uprating the T-34 to match the enemy but designing NEW tanks and types which improved on the original.

As the T-34 was still adequate to take on Mk 1Vs until the wars end it remained in production for all the same reasons as the Sherman.

Where the M4 comes in for criticism is often because NOTHING was coming in to replace it except upgunning and some up armouring.

The time gap created between needing the next AFV and having it was increased directly by the lack of planning

look to the western front skies in April 1917.. the existing allied planes were not good enough but there were a lot of them... the newest German planes were very superior.

There weren't new designs appearing for many of the same reasons already discussed , Manufacturing plant tool up , Lack of belief that anything else would be required etc etc.

Fortunately the Sherman didn't suffer those sort of WW1 losses { as it was never totally outclassed}.

And on the question of escaping censure .. the armour board couldn't be expected to know what would be required , and the time taken to re-tool etc are all valid points EXCEPT for WHY in 1942/3 weren't people preparing for the NEXT AFV instead of 'this is good enough.'

No where else does this occur...
Pre - war it is excusable in all forces to make errors in forward planning but not once the war is on .

The Usaaf didn't just accept that the p38 was more than good enough today so it will be fine tomorrow , nor did the designers at messerschmitt stop at the 109 e/f j/ or k but had the 262 by wars end..

It does seem an odd lapse and one some people are finding it very easy to excuse...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 447
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 6:50:37 PM   
Twotribes

The M-26 was in development and was coming along. As was the M-24. The uparmor and up gunning were in swing and as is evidenced by the Isrealis using the sherman well into the 80's the tank was anything but obsolete.

The American aircraft were improved because they were needed. Each new design meeting a new need or filling an old one that older aircraft couldnt.

No one in the Army was clamouring for bigger, better tanks. Well no one in a position of power.

This still begs the question... Since trough 1943 the Sherman preformed its assigned tasks with little problems and until June/July 1944 would be the earliest the Americans might discover the Sherman lacing, what different could they have done, then what they did do?

American Doctrine, right or wrong was that Tank Destroyers killed tanks, NOT tanks. It was not the purpose of the Sherman to take on German tanks by doctrine. The US cut the development and production of Heavy tanks long before 1944 because they didnt feel they needed them. The M-26 was delayed by 6 months or more by other US plans. And No one prior to July 1944 wanted to replace the Sherman anyway.

The planners simply saw no need to hurry into design a tank when the Sherman was quite capable of filling the requirement. And they already had the replacement, the M-26. just no pressing need to mass produce it.

The Sherman was NEVER intended to duel one on one with Panthers or Tigers. Using the logic that since he couldnt it was a bad design would mean that ANY tank that wasnt a super heavy , no matter purpose, no matter capability in its planned for role, was in fact a bad tank. I would suggest such a concept applies to the Germans and every other military involved in the war, building tanks. Why were the Germans making anything other than Panthers and Tigers? By some here's claims they should have ceased all production of all those inferior designs.

No one else in the war had to ship their equipment across thousands of miles of Ocean to get it into the battle. I suggest the easy to which the Sherman met that requirement plays a valid role in why it was preferred over a tank that might not arrive in numbers in time to effect the war at the cost of production of the Sherman.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 448
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 7:02:18 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Because the USSR was also developing and deploying better AFV as well as the T-34.

And just which AFVs might that be?

quote:

Where the M4 comes in for criticism is often because NOTHING was coming in to replace it except upgunning and some up armouring.

Patently false.

quote:

look to the western front skies in April 1917.. the existing allied planes were not good enough but there were a lot of them... the newest German planes were very superior.

How about.... No... Scott.....

quote:

Fortunately the Sherman didn't suffer those sort of WW1 losses { as it was never totally outclassed}.

Neither were the allies in WW 1

quote:

And on the question of escaping censure .. the armour board couldn't be expected to know what would be required , and the time taken to re-tool etc are all valid points EXCEPT for WHY in 1942/3 weren't people preparing for the NEXT AFV instead of 'this is good enough.'

Head of Armor Branch wanted a "heavier" (as opposed to Heavy) tank to be made ready in 1943. The chief of AGF scuppered the deal. Even though it was scuppered, the design that was to be the Pershing was still thought up and advanced far enough, that it could be deployed in small numbers within 6 months. Besides, in 1942-43 the Sherman was a perfectly fine tank that shot the crap out of all axis opposition. Read the AARs of british tankers at Alamain if you don´t believe me.

quote:

No where else does this occur...

Exit stage left: Sturmtiger.......

quote:

Pre - war it is excusable in all forces to make errors in forward planning but not once the war is on .

The US had barely entered the war when these discussions were taking place. It was very much a question of a pre-war decision, especially when viewed in extension of the whole TD debate.

quote:

The Usaaf didn't just accept that the p38 was more than good enough today so it will be fine tomorrow , nor did the designers at messerschmitt stop at the 109 e/f j/ or k but had the 262 by wars end..

The 262 was crap. C.R.A.P. As for the P38, the next "big" Lockheed design coincidentally was the P80

quote:

It does seem an odd lapse and one some people are finding it very easy to excuse...

No excuse necessary. You should know as much if you had been following the discussion here.

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 449
RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? - 2/5/2007 8:44:25 PM   
hawker

quote:

The 262 was crap. C.R.A.P. As for the P38, the next "big" Lockheed design coincidentally was the P80

Can you please explain to me how the best fighter in WW2 was a crap?
Please explain

Fortess fortuna iuvat

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is your favorite WWII tank? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI