Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PC version?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: PC version? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PC version? - 9/28/2006 6:21:50 PM   
petdoc

As much as it pains me to do so (), I'm gonna have to side with Sarge on this one. It made me uncomfortable when I saw the whole 'little girl dying' thing, but thought I was being a bit overly sensitive (I have 10yr old and 12 yr old daughters). But the more I think about it, the more I think it is innappropriate. I love LnL, and love what Mark has done, but if I have any niggling irritations about LnL, it is how Mark responds to any perceiceved critisisms. I agree that it is his game, and he is not required to pander to anyone, but I find that he tends to come across as condescending and ridiculing at times, brushing them off quickly. The whole 'halo' issue is a good example. I've introduced this game to half a dozen people and to a person they ALL disliked the halos A LOT, one even refusing to play it again (old eyes you know). I dont want to rehash that point, but I dearly hope that Mark deals with this issue differently and with more sensitivity. The halos didnt stop me from buying LnL but I'm pretty sure this issue will.
P.S in case Mark reads this, I LOVE LnL.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 181
RE: PC version? - 9/28/2006 6:52:48 PM   
martxyz

Making slight alterations wouldn't hurt the basic idea of having a storyline. It may also ensure a wider market for the game. Maybe I can best explain the worry by taking the issue to it's logical conclusion. For example, I suspect that if someone were to suggest that leaving the little girl IN the game, would actually widen it's market, there would be a good deal of concern on this forum. Portraying children as potentially legitimate victims, and having ambiguous portrayal of what constitutes a safe adult, is a pretty contentious area, even though this was never intended. It's just a thought. I realize that everybody wants the best.

(in reply to AnglePark)
Post #: 182
RE: PC version? - 10/12/2006 6:33:40 PM   
markhwalker

The girl isn't a marketing ploy either way. I've found that games designed to satisfy a market have less chance of success than games designed to satisfy myself.

Best,

Mark

< Message edited by markhwalker -- 10/12/2006 6:39:16 PM >

World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 183
RE: PC version? - 10/17/2006 5:02:09 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

The girl isn't a marketing ploy either way. I've found that games designed to satisfy a market have less chance of success than games designed to satisfy myself.

Best,

Mark

That about sums it up now doesn't it

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 184
RE: PC version? - 10/18/2006 2:57:52 AM   
markhwalker

BTW, how come the Sarge's helmet is blue? Is he U.N.?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 185
RE: PC version? - 10/18/2006 3:31:06 AM   
ravinhood

Who care's about Sarge, when's the game being released? ;) Ohh hi Sarge I didn't see you standing there. ;)

Post #: 186
RE: PC version? - 10/19/2006 4:30:12 AM   
Sarge

quote:

BTW, how come the Sarge's helmet is blue? Is he U.N.?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Who care's about Sarge, when's the game being released? ;) Ohh hi Sarge I didn't see you standing there. ;)

Having fun guys,

I questioned your decision to put children getting mowed down in “YOUR “game (as you like to point out every chance you get), and your response as usual is condescending towards anyone that dare point out how inappropriate this decision really is along with your total disregard of any level of criticize for that matter.

You can RE-READ the response to this thread and see that I am not the only one that has this opinion.

But as you have repeatedly have pointed out to us on numerous occasions

quote:

Best,

Mark

Good luck with that

PS: Ranthood , I see you finally found yourself a friend.

Post #: 187
RE: PC version? - 10/19/2006 12:39:10 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

Good luck with that

Sarge, it isn't a luck thing. Relax, I have nothing against you, or anyone else. I have to design/write the way it feels "right" to me. It's the only compass that I know how to use. Sorry if that offends you or appears condenscending. Neither is meant.

< Message edited by markhwalker -- 10/19/2006 12:41:47 PM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 188
RE: PC version? - 10/19/2006 3:17:43 PM   
Sarge

Mark, I am not offended by any of your replies,….. well maybe the UN comment

I have said my peace on the matter, any more a members may confuse me as Ranthood .

In the end I will still purchase your title as the undeniable fact is, your design/game engine is fun as hell.

Post #: 189
RE: PC version? - 10/20/2006 1:10:42 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

In the end I will still purchase your title as the undeniable fact is, your design/game engine is fun as hell.

Thanks, and the "fun as hell" part I take very seriously. I DON'T know why my games are fun. I mean I can rationalize that I pull bits and pieces from different genres and gaming medium, and movies, but bottom line I think it's because I try to make games that I enjoy playing. I still love playing Lock 'n Load.

And honestly, I have been humbled by the overwhelming number of pre-orders for Swift 'n Bold, Day of Heroes, and World at War. It serves as a constant reminder that people trust me to make a good game, and I can't let that trust down.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 190
RE: PC version? - 10/23/2006 3:55:40 PM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

quote:

Thanks, and the "fun as hell" part I take very seriously. I DON'T know why my games are fun. I mean I can rationalize that I pull bits and pieces from different genres and gaming medium, and movies, but bottom line I think it's because I try to make games that I enjoy playing. I still love playing Lock 'n Load.

And honestly, I have been humbled by the overwhelming number of pre-orders for Swift 'n Bold, Day of Heroes, and World at War. It serves as a constant reminder that people trust me to make a good game, and I can't let that trust down.

Best,

Mark

Since the first time I heard about Lock n' Load, I knew I had to try it. And from my very first game of Forgotten Heroes, I realized that this was a very different game system than most. The rules were accurate and realistic, yet never got in the way of the fun of playing the game. From the scenarios, to the characters, and even down to the individual counters, Lock n' Load exudes a tense, exciting, and colorful atmosphere. The unpredictability of the scenarios gave me a real impression of the rapidly changing circumstances of combat and the tough decisions squad leaders had to make. When it's time to pull a game down from the shelf for an afternoon of gaming, my first impulse is always to reach for Lock n' Load.

So when Mark approached me to do music for the PC version, I was thrilled and jumped at the chance. We both agreed we'd need something new and unique to fit the game... something intense, yet ambient. Something exciting but something that would echo the tragedy of the East Front. Forgoing some of the usual constraints of traditional orchestral music and drawing from a variety of influences, I came up with a sound that seems at once new and old, exciting and mournful, and perhaps just perfect for the Lock n' Load world.

So without further ado, let me offer you a musical preview, as featured in the Lock n' Load newsletter(http://www.locknloadgame.com/newsletter/newsletter3.pdf).

http://music.errantknight.org/LnL_preview.mp3

Post #: 191
RE: PC version? - 10/25/2006 5:44:35 AM   
Punisher

Hello ,

I didn't have any luck playing the sample music for HOS. What format was it loaded? I would love to hear it if you have another way for me to download it?

Thanks!

(in reply to jeffthewookiee)
Post #: 192
RE: PC version? - 10/25/2006 6:03:38 AM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher

Hello ,

I didn't have any luck playing the sample music for HOS. What format was it loaded? I would love to hear it if you have another way for me to download it?

Thanks!

It's in MP3 format. Did it fail to download, or did it download but fail to play?

If by some chance you don't have the right player, Winamp or iTunes are great free music players.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 193
RE: PC version? - 10/25/2006 6:10:59 AM   
Punisher

Yes I got it to work and it's very cool! Can't wait to play the game with the music cranked!

Punisher

Post #: 194
RE: PC version? - 10/25/2006 2:42:50 PM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

Yes I got it to work and it's very cool! Can't wait to play the game with the music cranked!

Punisher

Good, good! There will be a lot more with the game, rest assured.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 195
RE: PC version? - 10/26/2006 11:33:31 PM   
martxyz

Hate to leave the music issue and come back to the earlier concerns. Sorry, but the use of children's images (cartoon or otherwise) in a situation which is violent, with adults whose intentions are suspect or questionable, and whose ambiguous disregard for the welfare of the child is a significant feature, is a Child Protection Issue. Although it may seem unlikely, it could result in UK sales being somewhat curtailed. This is neither a criticism of the game, or of Mark's desire to make the game that he enjoys making. Sorry to make a point that may seem trivial, but I would beg to differ. Mostly, I have had the "it was/is trivial" discussion with people who subsequently discovered, to their chagrin and outrage, that the Courts didn't agree with them. I grant you, though, that in the cases I was mentioning, the people lost their liberty rather than their sales. I can't see why it isn't just easier to take the kiddie out, and avoid the argument. Not to would just be pride. The game is probably going to be great, in any event.

Post #: 196
RE: PC version? - 10/27/2006 2:30:07 AM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mart

Hate to leave the music issue....

Begging your pardon Mart, but what could possibly be more important than rock n' roll?

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 197
RE: PC version? - 10/27/2006 10:29:32 AM   
martxyz

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffthewookiee
Begging your pardon Mart, but what could possibly be more important than rock n' roll?

Yeah - you're probably right, but best keep clear of Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis!!

Post #: 198
RE: PC version? - 11/17/2006 6:05:38 AM   
ravinhood

Yeah these kids today don't know what real music is. Buncha rappers speaking silly lyrics jumping up and down like monkeys on stage (they really do remind me of a bunch of monkeys lol). Now rock n roll that was music baby. ;) Now, Hanna Montanna she's another story. :)

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 199
RE: PC version? - 11/30/2006 1:52:59 AM   
Punisher

It's been very quite is there any new screen shots or new updates for HOS the PC game?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 200
RE: PC version? - 11/30/2006 2:39:01 PM   
Marc von Martial

We are currently doing 4 new maps. I guess once they are delivered Mark will post new shots.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 201
RE: PC version? - 12/9/2006 1:43:25 AM   
Punisher

Thanks Marc,

Can't wait to see the new Shots!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 202
RE: PC version? - 12/28/2006 8:38:30 PM   
ravinhood

Somehow I get the feeling this computer game is going to turn into another EIA or Combat Missions Campaigns or Les Grognards Histwar or worse Combat Leader. EIA has been in the fire so long it's burnt by now.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 203
RE: PC version? - 12/28/2006 8:51:26 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Somehow I get the feeling this computer game is going to turn into another EIA or Combat Missions Campaigns or Les Grognards Histwar or worse Combat Leader. EIA has been in the fire so long it's burnt by now.

Doing the 4 maps is not a one day task.

Your feeling is wrong on this one.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 204
RE: PC version? - 1/6/2007 4:37:48 AM   
Deadrise

Hello all,
I purchased BOH when it first came out, played alot via VAASL then stopped playing due to Summer a new house and a great striped Bass season here on the Chesapeake Bay. . The house is finnished, the striped bass season is over and the boat is under cover so I return to the forums and learn that the PC version Heroes of Stalingrad is in the works. Two questions; were can I find more info about the game and when can I buy it :)

Looking forward to some VLNL and some PC HOS.

Take care,
John

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 205
RE: PC version? - 1/12/2007 1:00:34 AM   
Punisher

Hello Deadrise here is a link to get more up to date information on HOS for the PC.

http://www.locknloadgame.com/forum1/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

I think Mark has some new screen shots coming soon!

(in reply to Deadrise)
Post #: 206
RE: PC version? - 2/13/2007 9:33:07 AM   
Hentzau

quote:

Hello Deadrise here is a link to get more up to date information on HOS for the PC.

Really dislike being forced to register just to view yet another forum. Thanks for the link though.

< Message edited by Hentzau -- 2/13/2007 9:47:35 AM >

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 207
RE: PC version? - 2/15/2007 8:13:16 PM   
Punisher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hentzau

quote:

Really dislike being forced to register just to view yet another forum. Thanks for the link though.

It's probably worth it to bookmark LNL site. Mark does respond to questions on his website quicker.

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 208
RE: PC version? - 2/19/2007 4:26:24 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Just now looked at this forum and was wondering if this title is still in the works? I am not familiar with LnL but I do like tabletop games. This title really does interest me.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 209
RE: PC version? - 2/20/2007 5:40:08 PM   
Punisher

Probably your best shot to get a response to your question is to go right to Mark's website forum and post under "LNL PC GAME". Here is the link :

Punisher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Just now looked at this forum and was wondering if this title is still in the works? I am not familiar with LnL but I do like tabletop games. This title really does interest me.

mo reb

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: PC version? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI